Three

Senior Year

The players quickly assemble in front of the coach. I saw Taemin among them. He winks at me secretly. I smile at him too. 

Wow, the players are really tall. Well, except for one, who is similar to my height.

 

"Alright. Today will be the official start of our training. But before all that, I want to welcome all of you to our basketball team. It is good to see all of you. Glad no one is late for first day. So to get to know each other, we must make official greetings since we have new members in our team. First years! Form a single line here at my left facing my right. And to the oldies, form a single line for each year in my right facing the first years."

 

"Yes, Coach!"

 

So the players did as they were told. I glanced at the rookies side and I only see two of them. Of course Taemin is one but there is also another beside him. So on my right, there are 10 players. There are five players in each line.

 

"Now. So freshies, introduce yourselves to your seniors. State your name, class section, position and a word that best describes you. Start from you."

The coach passed the ball he was holding to the boy next to Taemin. The boy catched the ball with ease.

 

"Hello everybody. My name is Choi Minhwan. I am in Class 1A. My position is Shooting Guard."

"Waahhh, Minwhan! Yah! Minho, your brother is here to kick you out of your position," said by a player to the tallest player.

"Haha. You grew up well. Congrats on getting in!" another player said.

 

"T-thank y-you."

"Hey. You fools. He hasn't finished introducing himself. Let him finish before your reunion. I know you're excited to see him on the team. So, Minhwan-ah, please continue."

 

"T-the best word to d-describe me is.... uhm... chicken?"

"WAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!"


"Yah!!!! Another word from any of you and you will do a hundred laps on your first day! Thank you for that Minhwan-ah. I'm sorry for your dumb hyungs. But I hope you'd do well in our practices and especially in games. I'm looking forward to coach you. Alright next. Pass the ball to him."

So Minhwan passes the ball to Taem. Wah! I can't hide my happiness. I am so damn proud of him.


He bowed before greeting everyone. Wah! I taught him that! I taught him to be polite all the times. Wah! You made me proud and happy, baby. Hyung is so proud of you, baby.


"Hello everybody. I am Lee Taemin from Class 1B. My position is Small Forward."

 

"You sure man? You can be our Power Forward. Replace Joon." Said by one of the players who was smacked in the head by another.

 

The coach snicker beside me and throw a very dangerous glance towards those players. They did seem to notice since they stop abruptly. The coach motions for Taem to continue.

 

 

"Ah. So the word that best describe me is reckless."

 

This time even the coach is dumbfounded by the adjective he used. Well, I can't blame him since I, myself, am confused and do not understand. Why out of all adjective that could really describes him as a person, he chooses reckless? He's not THAT reckless. He just.. likes doing things his way.

 

"May I ask why reckless?" The coach asks Taemin.

 

"It's because I am. Well.. I think I am. I often cause trouble to people around me because of my recklessness. I would always want to be independent but because of my recklessness, I tend to be more dependent to certain person instead."

 

Is he talking about me?

 

"Well, little buddy. When I saw your performance during tryout, you didn't strike me as reckless. You know what I would describe you? Flawless."

 

I look at the coach and silently thank him.

 

"Yeah. I also heard you made your team won the last game. And you executed nice moves and passes. You got skills. Captain Minho himself said that. And Vice Captain Jonghyun also said that you can be a very valuable asset to the team." said by the player who smacked another earlier.

 

"Yes. Our team lost because of him." said by Minhwan. All eyes are on him as he continues.

"Our team is winning on the first half and third quarter. But on the fourth quarter, he made 3 big three points. He also did not give up until the last second. He was the most tired on their team but he continues to cheer them on. In the end, everyone is giving it their best shot. And yes, we lost. But for me, I win because I got to play with a very hardworking player. I want to play with a player with great passion for the sport. I am looking forward to playing with you again, teammate."

 

 

"Aaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwww!!!!!!"

 

"Wow, Minhwan-ah has said it. But let me tell you this. Before we do the tryouts for 12 people, I told my players that if I can't find any decent player among them, I am not going to recruit any new member. Luckily, I saw 2 very special and harworking rookies. So I am looking forward to coach you. But before we get to business, let's continue. Taemin-ah, pass the ball to anyone you like."

 

 

Taemin made an overhead pass and passes the ball to the person who smacked another player earlier. I smiled. He seems nice and outgoing. He's also very talkative. I hope we could be good friends.

 

"Haha. It's because you're so talkative so he chooses you."

 

"Shut up, Jung. Anyways, hi! You guys know me but for the freshies, hiiiiii~ I am Lee Joon sunbae! From Class 3C. Best word to describe me.... hmp.. isn't it obvious? Handsome." Then he winks.

I can't help but to smile. I don't know, he's just very playful. I could see Taemin laughing as well. Glad he's having fun.

 

"You're next, Jung." Joon passes the ball to the person he smacked earlier.

 

"Hi! I am Jung Yonghwa sunbae! But if we could get close you can call me Yonghwa-hyung. I am from Class 3C. A word to describe me is... hm... talented?"

 

 

I could see no one arguing about that. Hm. Maybe he's really talented.

 

Then, he passes the ball to the person next to him.

 

"Hi, rookies. Name is Kang Daesung, Class 3B.... Hm. The word that best describes me.. is.. I don't know.. risk. Uhm. So nice to meet you."

 

He passes the ball to the person in front of him.

 

"Hi. My name is Kang Minhyuk. Class 2B. I think being happy is the word that best describes me. Let's be friends~"

Then he passes the ball.

 

"Hi! I am Bang Mir! Call me Mireu~ No need to be so polite~ Hmm. I am from Class 2B. And I'm cute~ Keke"

 

He passes the ball.

 

"Hello! I am Lee Jungshin from Class 2A. Hm. Guitar." Then he smiles.

 

He passes the ball.

 

"Hi, I am Lee Jaejin from Class 2B. The word that fits me is.. well.. goat."

 

"Yes, true.. You can even call yourself pig."

"Shut up Jungshin." Then he passes the ball to the person on his back.

 

"Hi! I am Lee Seungri from Class 3B. Hm. The word that best describes me is gym."

Then he passes the ball to the last person in front.

 

"Hi everyone! I am Choi Minho from Class 2B. I am also the captain of basketball team. Well.. Choi Minhwan here is my brother but don't expect me to give special treatment so you better not slack off. Hm. The word that best describe me is competitive."

 

And so he passes the ball to the last person at the back.

 

 

"Hi! I am Kim Jonghyun. The vice captain of the basketball team. I am from Class 3B. The word that best describes me is music."

 

 

"Alright! Good! Now, Jonghyun-ah, pass the ball to the LAST person." The coach said. Then I saw everyone looking at me.

 

Uh-oh. Do I have to introduce myself too? But. Oh well, it's too late. He passes the ball to me. But because I'm clumsy as hell, I didn't manage to catch it so I ran after the ball to get it. When I manage to get it, I return to my spot and see everyone looking at me and waiting for me.

 

 

I bow before I start.

 

"H-h-hello, e-everyone. I.. I-I a-am L-lee.. Lee Jinki. Nice to meet you all." Then I bow again.

 

"I am from Class 3A."

 

"Woooooooooooowwwwwww! Really???"

 

 

I can't look at any of them in the eyes so I just keep my head down.

 

"Uhm. And the word that best describes me is clumsy. Please take care of me."

 

"Jinki-yah will be your manager. Be nice to him! I warn you guys!"

 

 

"Yes Coach!"

 

 

"Alright! Everyone! We're one team! No slacking off during practice. I want full attention and focus. We need to concentrate in order to win the championship. I expect you to always be in your perfect condition. I am looking forward for another year of coaching. Okay. Let's start the practice!"

 

 

Then, he blows to his whistle and the players start to head to the center of the court to begin practice.

 

 

I hope I could survive this. I can't even catch a ball properly. How can I manage a team? I am so screwed.