Thirteen

Senior Year

The next day, I wake Taemin up early because of the last whole day practice of the basketball team for the tournament tomorrow. Taemin still seems out of it so I ask him because I'm getting a little worried.

"What's wrong, Minnie? Don't you like the pancakes? It's your favorite."

"No, hyung. I like it."

"Then, why don't you eat it then?"

Then he lazily eats a little. But after a while, he is playing with it again.

"Taeminnie, is there something wrong?"

He looks at me shock. But he just smiles and said, "Sorry hyung. I think I'm just nervous for tomorrow."

I sigh relieved.

"Don't worry. Just do as you practice and you'll be fine. You'll show them."

"Hmm. Yep."

 

 

The practice is extraordinary today. If last time was extreme, today is more extreme. Every player is breathing hard and it's just one hour of drill. The coach is stricter today as usual. After another four straight hours of practicing, Coach agrees for a lunch break.

All players are there for practice for today except for Joon. I wonder why Joon was not able to come. It's not as if he's the kind of player to ditch practice.

I ask Jonghyun, "Hey, I can't contact Joon. Do you know why could he be absent today?"

Jonghyun and the players just smile timidly at my question. Only Yonghwa answers me.

"It's because today is the day."

"Huh? I don't get it."

"It's the day.. someone important to Joon.. left him.. forever."

"R-really? That's sad. He couldn't have moved on yet and he is still surely deeply affected since he is still absent today. Poor Joonie-hyung."

 

The players gasp. 

"Jinki.. when did you start.. calling Joon.. that?" Jonghyun asks me.

"H-huh? Why? Uhm. Just last practice, I guess."

"H-have you called him.. that.. personally?"

"A-ah.. Y-yes, I guess. Why? Can't I?"

"Waahh. This is daebak." Yonghwa said.

I look at Jonghyun for help. He just smiles at me to reassure me.

"Don't worry, Jinx. It's just pure coincidence. It's about that someone special we talked about."

"Let me tell him. Since he is a part of the basketball team now, I think he has the right to know this. And since I am Joon's bestfriend, it is only right that I am the one to tell him."

"I'm sorry but I don't think I can hear that story again." Seungri suddenly said.

"We're outta here." Daesung agreed.

"We are too. Sorry." The other players follow Seungri and Daesung.

The only left are me, Jonghyun, Yonghwa, Taemin, Minho and Minhwan.

Yonghwa starts telling the story.

"Before you, there is another manager. He is on the same year as me. Joon is on his second year. Joon and I are friends back in our old schools so he recruited me to the team. When he became the team's manager, at first, Joon hates him. The senior used to like Joon but when he came, all their attentions were given to him. Joon didn't like it so he made his first month very hard for him. It was on the first week of the second month when Joon changes his perspective about him. He is a very warm person, you see. He can't be hated. Because this person is so pure. Little by little, he was able to capture Joon's heart. But Joon is still in denial of it which hurts him in the process. One day, Joon saw him getting bullied by seniors from other school. That day, he protected him with his life. That person cried for Joon when he saw how he is badly beaten by them for protecting him. Joon is not a very good fighter but he stood proud while defending him. After that, they were inseparable. They were perfect for each other. Everything was perfect for them. Came the next year. That person avoided Joon like plague. Joon was devastated that time. He can't concentrate from anyting in particular. Be it personal, family, friends, studies and even basketball. Everything was collapsing in Joon's world. I was there when he is at his darkest moment. But one day, I received a call from my cousin who is a resident doctor in a hospital. He told me that someone who were from my school has to stop going to school to receive treatment but still rejects the treatment and told me that if I know him, I must convince him to be admitted to the hospital. I ask him who it is. And guess what, he told me the person's name is Onew. "

"Onew?"

"Yes. Lee Onew. The same reason why Joon was upset. I told Joon about that and he forced Onew to be admitted. Onew apologized but still rejected. He said he wants to live normally but he is sorry because he can't stay with Joon."

"That's why he's avoiding Joon."

"Yes. Because he doesn't want Joon to know. He wants Joon's life to proceed normally too. He wants Joon to forget about him so he could not feel any pain if he ever leaves.. if he ever dies. But he was wrong. When Joon knows about his cancer, Joon left the university to stay with Onew everyday. They were inseparable even on the day he died. On this day, one year ago. Thankfully, I forced Joon to enroll this year for him to finish high school. I know he's still moving on but I guess he's on the way there. They had an agreement after all."

"What agreement?"

"Before Onew died, they both agreed that even how rare it is, if there would be someone who would call Joon the same way Onew calls him, Joon promised that he will live his life just as how Onew wants him. Guess what would Onew calls him."

I gasp. "J-Joonie-hyung.."

"Yes. I think, Onew sends you to Joon so he could start to live his life without him. After all, he has given Joon one year to be sad. I think, he is telling him, "Joonie-hyung, it's time to be happy again. I want to see you win the championship for me." Thank you, Jinki. You made it possible."

I can't control my tears and I really cry. My heart is aching for Joonie-hyung.

I didn't know that he has suffered a lot and still mending his heart.  Joonie-hyung has been taking care of me a lot and he's one of my favorite hyungs.  But he never shows  that he's sad and I never noticed. How can someone still smile when something like that happens? If I were him, I would really breakdown. Joonie-hyung is so strong. I want to be like him. I hope nothing like that would happen to Jonghyun and me. I don't think I'm strong enough.

Noticing my mood, Jonghyun pats my head.

"Don't worry about it Jinki. All we can do is to silently support and encourage Joon." I nod.

I hope everything will just turn out fine in the end.

 

The afternoon practice resumes. Even though I still can't get the story out of my mind, it's time to focus on my work now since the players seem to be in a very good condition. I believe that they will do great for tomorrow's first game. And I really hope we would win so all the efforts and practices would pay off.

I notice that Taemin is more active at practice today. He would take all the good shots and then perform well at defense too. He is extremely sweating compared to the last practices. Seeing how he is working hard made me so proud and happy. But what really bothers me is how Taemin treats Minho today. I don't know. He just seems to avoid Minho or he's just rather aloof with him. It's because Taemin really respects Minho as a player. However, as I see for today, I don't really know anymore.

"Taeminnie, pass me the ball!" Minho calls for Taemin to pass him the ball. 

Even during the morning practice, he wouldn't give the ball to Minho. He would rather pass it to either Minhwan or Yonghwa whoever is closer to him. No, I think he is clearly ignoring Minho. I decided that after practice, I'll talk to him. But even before I could approach Taemin, Minho nudged Taemin to the side to talk to him.

"Taeminnie, what was that just now?"

"What hyung?"

"Don't 'what hyung' me. You know exactly what I'm talking about."

"I'm sorry, I don't." Then Taemin turned away to leave. Minho grabs his arm and holds it very tightly, making him flinch.

"Ouch!"

"I am talking to you, Lee Taemin. Don't turn your back at me! I am your Captain!" Minho glared at Taemin but Taemin returned an even more intense glare to Minho. The Coach saw the whole exchange of words.

"Choi! Lee!" The Coach breaks Minho's hold of Taemin's arm. And he motioned for Minho to get lost and to Taemin to follow him to the locker room.

 

I feel someone squeeze my shoulders. And I see Jonghyun beside me.

"Did something happen to Taemin?"

"I don't know. He seems off since this morning."

"Hm. I see. The Coach is talking to him so don't worry anymore, okay? Let's hope he'll return to normal. I think he woke on the wrong side of bed."

"I hope so."

"Anyway Jinx, I can't accompany you home today. I need to prepare for the tournament tomorrow."

"I know. It's okay. We'll just see each other tomorrow."

"Yup. See you tomorrow. I'll just text you. Bye Jinx~"

 

After the Coach talked to Taemin, he just proceeded to the parking lot without words. I followed him and drive us home. During dinner, I gain the confidence to ask Taemin.

"Minnie, is there something wrong?"

"No, hyung. Why do you ask?"

"It's because.. earlier, during practice.."

"I'm okay, hyung. Just not in the mood earlier."

"Did Minho do something weird for you to be mad at him?"

"No, hyung. Don't worry about it. I'm done eating. Thanks for the meal." Then he quickly stands up and puts him plates on the kitchen sink.

"Good night, hyung." 

I just manage to sigh. Oh Taem-baby.

 

Before going to sleep, I opened Taemin's door to check on him. He's asleep and his back is facing the door. I bend down to kiss his forehead then went out of the room. Before closing the door, I notice that he still hugs the big teddy bear which was given to him by Kibum on his birthday. Speaking of Kibum, I still haven't asked him if he's going to watch so once I entered my room, I send a quick message to him. After a while, he replied "I will. So, 8 am right?"

I replied him, "Yup, 8 am. See you there. Good night. :)"

"Good night. :)"

And so after that, I could feel my body is being invited by my bed and pillow so I just lay on it and let sleep take over my tired and sore body. Hopefully, we would be blessed tomorrow on the first game. Hwaiting!

 

 

And then, morning comes.