I'm Here

Through Muddy Water

WooBin entered the studio quietly and leaned against one of the large wooden tables, basking in a warm stream of sunlight opposite of YiJung's workspace. He had always loved watching his friend spin. In high school he struggled quietly to feel adequate as part of the F4. JunPyo had already shown some success as a businessman, YiJung was an established and famous potter, and JiHoo had been playing violin practically since he was born. But the years had taught him that regardless of his skills, or lack thereof, he could always find acceptance in this studio. He found himself staring at his friend's hands as they skillfully worked the clay, remembering how many times he had stood in the same spot over the years, his fascination never ceasing. YiJung was more than a friend to him, more a brother and also- a lifesaver.

"You know you're the first guy to stand in such awe. Usually it's the girls that can't stop watching." YiJung spoke affectionately, his eyes not leaving the rotating piece.

"You spin the exact same way you did before you left. It's almost as if nothing's changed."

The potter smiled, dipping his hands into water and then returning to caressing the smooth clay. WooBin was still enraptured, watching his friend's hands. He could see the slight off-kilter way the once-broken one moved in comparison to the flawless right. Despite the damage however, they both moved fluidly as they worked and it was hard to believe there was a time where they both thought YiJung would never spin again. The wheel slowed unexpectedly and the potter lifted a hand to his head, wincing slightly.

"Yo, you ok?"

YiJung nodded gingerly, a faint smile on his face as he made eye contact. "Just a bit of a headache, I mustn't be used to the brightness in here after being gone for so long. The studio in Sweden was much darker." He wiped his hands on his apron casually. "What time is it?"

"A little past noon."

"I told GaEul we would go to lunch. You should come."

He couldn't tell if YiJung was inviting him so he wouldn't feel left out, or if he actually wanted the company even though it was probably a mixture of both. He shrugged, walking the side of the room, observing the latest, uncooked pottery.

"Well either way, I should get ready." He rose, pulling at the tie on the back of the apron. Taking a step, he appeared to lose his balance and for a few seconds, he steadied himself with the corner of the table. Concerned, WooBin darted to him.

"Yo!" He grabbed the potter's arm, asking for a second time. "You okay?"

YiJung shook him off briskly. "I'm fine, just stood up to quickly."

"You really haven't been yourself since Sweden. You should take some time to adjust to being back before filling up your time." He took a seat on the bench, motioning for him to join. Reluctantly, YiJung relented and sat beside him on the bench although he appeared to not be listening. Instead, he faced forward, dark eyes looking at apparently nothing. "You spent so long away, it must be difficult on you to pick up a new schedule… Yo, YiJung. Are you even listening?" He looked suspiciously at his friend. The potter seemed a bit paler than usual and WooBin tentatively reached a hand out, letting it rest lightly on the young man's cheek. It was too warm and when he looked closer, he could see traces of sweat on the edges of the cloth that had been taming his hair while he spun.

"Aish. YiJung you really should be in bed if you're this sick," he exclaimed, throwing his hands up in the air. "Really, you might be the most stubborn guy I know."

"As stubborn as JunPyo?" was the feeble reply.

"Well, not quite," he admitted with a chuckle. "Maybe you're the second most stubborn. That's still pretty stubborn comparatively." Looking over, he noticed that YiJung's eyes were beginning to droop with every word and his body was progressively slouching lower on the bench. "Ya, you can't sleep here." Grabbing YiJung's wrist, he threw his friend's arm over his own shoulders, hauling him to his feet.

"GaEul…" YiJung protested as he was disjointedly escorted down the hall.

"I'll go over there and let her know," WooBin promised.

"Anyo, I'm fine," he murmured, waking a bit and futilely trying to disentangle himself from WooBin's hold. WooBin simply took a stronger hold, clearly the stronger man at the moment.

"Ya, cut it out. Don't be like this." YiJung looked at him, eyes misty and bloodshot but with a friendly spark behind them.

"I'm supposed to say that to you."

"Yeah well you should listen to your own advice more often. You're always on my case when I get stupid," he retorted quickly. They were almost to the bedroom now and as they reached the edge of the bed he abruptly noticed how light YiJung was. Granted, the last time he had been carried, the boy had been drunk, beaten, and dead weight. Even so, something made him uneasy about how easy it was to move his friend around. Sighing, YiJung sank into his pillows, not even bothering with blankets. He yawned, his body taking over his mind's desire to stay awake and forcing him into submission.

"WooBin."

"Yeah?"

"Don't you wait around all night." His words were quiet, barely audible as he bordered on the edge of sleep. "I know you'll want to. But I'm… mm fine."

WooBin shook his head. It was just like YiJung to tell him to leave. And he was painfully aware of his intentions in staying despite that; he felt like he owed it to the potter. After all, there was a time when he'd found it hard to even keep living and not once had YiJung walked away from him. Instead, he quietly left the room and, as he had promised, fished in his pocket for his phone, dialed GaEul's number, and waited for her to answer.


The concrete was warm from the sun and the feeling of bittersweet familiarity almost unbearable. It was abnormally quiet here, for a spot nestled in the midst of an elite high school. Even so, bit didn't surprise seeing as stealing away during school to nap here had been his original intentions in picking the space.

JiHoo sighed while leaning his head against the wall, legs outstretched in front of him. Could it really be true that Guem JanDi, the girl who had stood just feet above this spot screaming about the wealthy, would be marrying the man that she had once loudly declared hatred for. It was here that they had first met. Here, he had looked at her, covered in flour and eggs and offered her his handkerchief. Here they had drawn JunPyo'a angry face on the walls with chalk. Here, he had shielded her from the sight of JunPyo kissing JaeKyung.

Hands trembling, he brought up her number on his phone, staring at the call button. She probably wouldn't answer, he thought sadly. It had been two days since they'd held a conversation longer than saying hello in passing. All he wanted was to hear her bright voice call him sunbae, to see her smile light up because of something he said, to hold her small frame against his. He tossed the phone angrily, the white enamel skittering across the concrete and gaining scratches with every inch it slid.

"Guem JanDi," he hissed through clenched teeth, "Why is your firefighter not enough?"


She'd never been to any other parts of his house besides the studio. She had been past the locked door whenever she had been feeling especially lonely. JanDi had initially been a comfort to her being in the same situation of course, but her days were soon spent with JiHoo. He, at least during the four years, had been JanDi's primary source of comfort, leaving GaEul alone with her thoughts on some nights. It was then that she would venture out and walk the street past his studio, just to prove to herself that there was a reason for him to return.

"GaEul, this way."

WooBin was leading her down the hallway and nervously she followed, her thoughts keeping her from looking around at the rooms past which they walked. She always enjoyed his company within the group and as usual, he had been quite friendly upon picking her up. He proceeded to calmly explain to her the situation while allowing time for questions. When she asked to go to back with him, he showed no signs of hesitation, but rather led her to his car and now, to YiJung's room.

"WooBin."

"GaEul," he looked at her inquisitively.

"Thanks. You're a good friend to him."

He smiled slightly in response, motioning to the door in front of which they were standing.

"He's asleep but I'm sure he'll be glad to know you're here." The words were sincere, but laced with tones of sadness. "I'll be in the other room." With that he left, disappearing down the hall. GaEul felt bad for him as he left, realizing how incredibly lonely WooBin must be to seem so sad.

A soft rustling from within the room redirected her thoughts. She stepped inside cautiously. The heavy curtains had already been closed and the room was quite dark despite the fading light outside. From under a mound of luxurious covers, she spied subtle movement.

As she drew closer, she could see that he had wrapped the blankets so tightly around himself that his face was practically hidden beneath the edges. She touched her fingertips to his cheek, feeling the warmth of his skin. He stirred, leaning into the touch.

"YiJung," she whispered.

"GaEul…?"

"Woo Bin brought me. I'm here." He began to open his mouth and reply, but she put a hand on his shoulder to stop him."Anyo, don't talk. Go back to sleep," she coaxed.

Next to the bed was a shallow bowl of cool water, washcloth balanced on the rim. WooBin had clearly been taking good care of his friend before she arrived. Removing her coat, she wrung a cloth out and brought it tenderly to his brow.

"GaEul.." he moaned softly.

"I'm here YiJung. I'm not going anywhere. Just rest now."

"Can't sleep," he murmured, "too hot…"

In the dark, she made a sympathetic face even though he couldn't see it. It broke her heart to see him so uncomfortable.

"Do you want me to take off some of these blankets?"

"Anyo, it's cold." His tone was childishly whiny, but she found it adorable it its own way. Thinking about what she could do to help him sleep, she came up with an idea. Removing the cloth from his forehead, she reached beneath his head with her left hand.

"Ya," he protested, resisting the movement.

"Just one second. You're okay." She smiled inside as he quieted at her voice. Supporting his head and neck, she pulled him close to her chest, holding him there. With her free hand, she deftly slid the pillow from beneath him.

"GaEul," he breathed, words muffled by her t-shirt. For a moment, she paused to savor the feeling of his head so close to her body. The contact felt so natural and it made her realize even more home much she had pined for him for the last four years. A few seconds passed where all she felt were his gentle breaths on her, their sound obscured by quickened pace of her own hear passed. She then flipped the pillow so that the cool side was facing up, lowering him back down and smoothing his hair out affectionately. She watched him as he relaxed, letting his head turn so his cheek was against the fabric. A contented smile danced on his lips.

"How did you know?" It was adorable the way his face furrowed slightly as if he was exhausted that he had to think very hard about what he was saying.

"My Mom used to do that for me when I was young and it always felt so good, no matter how sick I was. Sometimes if I was afraid or had a nightmare I'd call her in the middle of the night just to ask her to do it so I could feel her holding me. It made me feel safe."

"Safe…"

She wasn't sure if he was just repeating her words, but her heart leapt anyhow as she watched his flawless face before her. She brought a freshly dampened cloth to his brow once more, draping it carefully across his skin and his hair.

"GaEul… Mian."

She leaned close to listen, her cheek practically touching his. Kissing his forehead and readjusting the cloth she answered with reassurance.

"Anyo YiJung. There's nothing to apologize for. "


Woobin restlesly stretched out upon the guest bed that was so familiar to of dropping in on his friend and spending the night had made him quite familiar with this room.

Closing his eyes, he recounted the events of the evening. After he had led GaEul to YiJung's bedside curiosity had gotten the better of him. He had made his way to just outside the room, silently listening in. GaEul had been telling some story about her mother taking care of her and inside, he wished he had had the chance to experience such a thing in his youth. Growing up with his father and his father's friends, he had never experienced motherly love. He had always thought that once the four years had passed, things would go back to normal but as he was witnessing,this was not the case. YiJung had GaEul now and she not only was fulfilling a romantic place in his heart, she was also filling a friendship place. The space that used to be his and his alone. Retreating to the guest room he had felt guilty for being so upset. After all, it was not YiJung or GaEul's fault that they had fallen in love.

Wearily, he turned out the light and rolled over to face the wall. I'm really am happy for you YiJung, he thought. I truly am my friend. I just... I don't want to lose you.


His room was dark, but thin beams of sunlight snuck through the slats of the dark curtains so he knew it was daytime. Fumbling for his phone, he peered at the time- 10:00 am. Something damp touched his hand and he reached over, picking up a washcloth. GaEul. He looked around the room with urgency. For a moment he thought he had been dreaming, but then he spotted a small mound on his armchair. It was rising and falling evenly and he could see a long cascade of hair draped over the arm of the chair. He smiled looking at her. She must have been there the whole night. He felt better, but didn't think he'd be strong enough to move her so he carefully covered her with one of his blankets instead

Tiptoeing to the bathroom so as not to disturb her, he removed his clothes, the shower, and stepped in. The hot water felt wonderful and for a while he just stood beneath the flow, enjoying himself. When he was finished, he dried himself quickly and slipped into some clean clothing. He felt slightly lightheaded from the steam but at least his fever was house was virtually silent as he towel dried his hair and if he didn't know any better, he'd assume he was alone.

He enjoyed living similarly to JiHoo, with the help staff being absent from his day to day activities. The artist side of him enjoyed the alone time and he was never truly alone with WooBin dropping by every so often to check in on him. At the thought of his friend, he suddenly became suspicious. Exiting the bathroom, he headed for the guest room down the hall. The door, usually kept closed, was slightly cracked. Peeking through the void, he spied the back of a brown leather jacket and dark jeans sprawled across the quilt. I knew you wouldn't leave, he thought with a grin.

"Sunbae?"

He jumped startled at the feminine voice. A very sleepy looking GaEul appeared, her hair tousled from sleeping.

"How are you feeling?"

She looked amazingly beautiful in the sunlight hall and he stepped forward, pulling her close. "Better GaEul. I'm sorry to worry you."

Surprisingly she didn't resist the hold, but instead buried her face in his shirt. He heard her yawn before she sleepily spoke again. "Anyo."

"GaEul?"

"Hmm? She was still awkwardly speaking into his chest but he enjoyed the contact.

"Thank you."

He swore that with his words, he could feel her smile.