Be Strong

Through Muddy Water

Through Muddy Water
Chapter 11: Be Strong

The angry grumble of thunder woke her so suddenly that for a few moments she hadn’t a clue why she wasn’t still sleeping. Closing her eyes, GaEul listened to the rain falling heavy on the roof above them. In the dark, she felt around the crease of the couch for her phone, peering at the florescent numbers as they glowed in the blackness. It was just short of eight but seemed much to dark outside for that to be true.

She rolled her head unpleasantly, her neck stiff from sleeping sitting up without any head support. The warm weight in her lap told her that neither of them had moved in the night.  He was still with her, cradled in her arms, his breath leaking through the blanket to brush her leg softly and evenly. With fingers still entwined in his hair, she leaded back against the smooth leather and closed her eyes to soak in the simple pleasure of the stillness of the morning.

The next time she opened her eyes the setting was still as peaceful as before but her feet tingled, the nerves deprived of oxygen for too long. She hated to move YiJung, but her body was beginning to protest and ache for space. Shimmying sideways, she quickly slipped from beneath him. He stirred for a moment and she held her breath but he merely wrapped his fingers around the covers and continued to sleep peacefully.

Pulling the blanket up to his chin and tucking it around him tenderly, she tiptoed from the room. Stepping into the kitchen, she found it well lit, the bright wood giving of a cozy feel. The floor was surprisingly warm as she shuffled across it. It wouldn’t surprise her if it was heated from below.

felt dry and thick from sleeping. Curiously, she looked around unsure of how to go about getting a drink of water. YiJung had already made it clear that she was allowed to find anything she needed but it was still hard for her to adjust to such exquisite items. She opened the first cabinet, lucking out and finding it full of glasses. Selecting the least expensive looking one she picked it up tentatively.

“YiJung-ah.  Why didn’t you answer my ca-“

Her heart skipped a beat at the sudden noise as she snapped upright nearly whacking her head in the process. The glass slipped from her hand, shattering against the floor beneath her. Cautiously she stuck her head out from behind the cabinet door, pulse pounding and eyes widening at the sight of the visitor.

“Oh WooBin-ah. You scared me.”

“Mianhe GaEul.” He apologized, hands up in apology as he looked at her rather confusedly.

She stood there frozen awkwardly in her stocking feet amidst the glass, anxiously smoothing out her hair and hoping that he didn’t notice her messy state. Both her and YiJung were alike in that sense, liking to keep need and well groomed. “I just-” She mumbled uncomfortably, looking down at the dark hardwood floor that was now littered with shiny slivers.

“Ah, let me help you. Don’t move, araso?”

She nodded shyly, avoiding his gaze like a puppy that peed on the floor and was caught as he knelt beside her, sweeping a spot to her right clear of the debris with his trademark leather gloves. She felt bad being unable to help, but without the safety of shoes she was of no use. “Take a few steps over here,” he instructed, eying the floor carefully. She obliged, treading lightly to the clear space.

“Kahmsahmnidah.”

He smiled. “Didn’t step on any, right?”

“Ne.”

“Good.” He rose, walking swiftly past her and opening a closet opposite from where she stood. “Did you stay here all night?”

There was the question she’d been dreading. She felt the blood instantaneously rush to her face and knew that her blushing was too obvious to lie around. Although the inquiry was posed casually, she bounced up and down slightly on her toes, worrying about what he was thinking as he reappeared carrying a dustpan and broom. “Oh that. We were watching a movie and we fell both fell asleep. It was an accident, I-I-I I didn’t even realize.” She stammered uneasily, looking anywhere but directly at the Prince.

 “Ne, and YiJung-ah- is he awake?“ WooBin asked, bending back down to collect the larger pieces of glass before sweeping up the smaller shards neatly.

“Oh,” she looked up hastily, still embarrassed at the current situation. He had passed over her reply so naturally it was if she hadn’t said anything significant. “An-n-yo. He’s still asleep in the other room. I thought it would be better to let him rest.” She relaxed a little as the focus of the discussion turned to something other than herself.

“Kurae,” Woobin rolled up his sleeves with a smile, clearly trying to put her at ease. Throwing out the remnants of the morning’s accident he looked around the kitchen. “How about having some breakfast then.”

Surprised at his relaxed reaction, she nodded as he strode confidently to the refrigerator “Ne. Sounds good. What can I do to help?”

 

The smell of rain hung loosely in the air as they ate quietly. As he set the table, GaEul had opened the large widows that were sheltered from the deluge outside so that the cool air could filter through the room. They sat across from each other, sipping tea over the empty dishes from the meal which had been delicious. A background force in their high school days, she was learning something new about WooBin sunbae every day now it seemed.

“Are you going to school tomorrow?”

“Ne. I offered to take a personal day but YiJung resisted. He said because I’m a new teacher I should uphold my commitment as much as possible.”

“He’s right.” WooBin instantaneously replied.

She nodded, biting her lip. She knew that both men were correct but she was still uneasy about not being able to be there during the upcoming treatment. The lack of ability to control such things was unsettling.

“You’ll be able to make it for the second half. This appointment is a bit later than the last one. Plus there’s all the pre-testing. And as the treatments get more difficult, and then you can look at taking time off from work.”

She wished he hadn’t approached that topic. Staring down her cup of tea she swallowed hard. “And… they will get worse?”

“Well he tolerated the first really well. We won’t know for sure how it will go, but we have to be prepared for it to be difficult.”

He was looking down as well, both of them avoiding each other’s eyes. There was a stagnant pause in the conversation as they both processed the reality of his words. After what felt like an hour, but was only a mere five minutes, the noisy clang of the large clock in the hall broke the silence and signaled the passing of another hour.

“It’s getting late, maybe we should wake him?” GaEul worried out loud, realizing that she was speaking only after she’d already spoken.

WooBin checked his watch casually, as he took another sip of tea. “Almost noon, perhaps we should wake him so he’ll be able to sleep later tonight. He needs a good night’s rest before tomorrow.”

The whole scene was so ridiculous; GaEul wearing the same clothing she’s worn the previous day after sleeping on the So family couch, WooBin sitting across from her finishing a home-cooked breakfast, both of them talking about YiJung as if he was their child. She wished she could laugh about the situation instead of feeling like her world was slowly shifting into something she didn’t recognize. But this morning, instead of dwelling on this thought, she rose, beginning to politely stack her used dishes. “I ate well, kahmsahmnidah.”

The prince also rose, taking the plates from her hands. “I got this, you go wake YiJung, I have a feeling he’ll be a lot more cooperative for you.” He smiled softly before looking her in the eyes with purpose. “GaEul.”

“Ne.”

“Be strong. For him- he’s happier with you than you’ll ever realize.”

 

***

 

He was comfortable and warm, curled up with his hands tucked between his knees. Ever since he was little he’d slept like that. The sound of his mother screaming, sobbing, and threatening her life used to echo down the halls and he’d make himself as small as possible in his bed in the hopes that she wouldn’t call for him. His brother was never awake, or at least pretended not to be. YiJung had never been that confident, but was always afraid that if he didn’t go to her she’d actually go through with her words.

“YiJung-ah?” There was a female voice calling him, a familiar voice. There was a flash of light and cool air rushed against his cheek. The blanket that had been tucked around his chin was gone and he sighed in annoyance.

“Ya.” He wanted her to go away, it was too early to listen to how inattentive his father and brother were.

“YiJung-ah, are you awake yet sleepyhead?” The voice wasn’t his mother’s, it was softer, gentler, melodic almost.

“GaEul…?” he murmured sleepily, squinting against the light as her form came into focus. Her long hair draped across her crossed arms which were propped against the edge of the couch. “What are you here?” he asked confusedly. He didn’t remember leaving the door unlocked or giving her a key.

“I never left.” She whispered, reaching out to let her hand rest on his arm.

“Bwoh?” He shook his head, trying to make some sense of what he was hearing.

“We fell asleep during the movie, remember?” She brushed a stray hair from his forehead, her big eyes boring into him. Her makeup was partially worn and her clothes ruffled but somehow she looked even more beautiful than the last time he looked at her.

 “Oh,” he reached out from beneath the blanket, grabbing her wrist and pulling it to him. “Five more minutes.” Closing his eyes again he relished in the feel of her small palm against his chest. He wondered if she could feel his heartbeat. She giggled a little, a contented laugh, her slender fingers wrapping around his. “You might not ask for that when you hear what time it is.

He cracked open one eye suspiciously. He knew it was strange that she looked like she’d been awake for a while. “What time is it?”

“Just past twelve.”

“Ah chincha?” he moaned, rolling to his back and pulling the blanket over his head. “I don’t usually sleep this late.” Time management was another one of his prides. There were many morning’s he’d awake before the sun to get going on an important piece of pottery.

“Anyo, you were tired. WooBin’s here, he made breakfast. I put some aside for you.”

There she was thoughtful like she always had been and knowing that it was impossible to get mad at her for not waking him earlier. “Kumawo.”

She smiled shyly, rubbing the back of her neck and rolling her head to the side in a stretch. He thought he saw a wince cross her face as she turned her face. Concerned, he propped himself up on one arm, studying her face intently.  Gweanchana?”

“Ne, gwaenchana. It’s nothing.” She assured him, patting his hand and scooting closer to the couch. He could smell his cologne lingering on her, melding with her honey vanilla scent.  He remembered the way it felt when she had cradled his head in her lap, his hair.  “Mian,” he apologized quietly, realizing that she had sacrificed her own comfort for him.

“Wae?”

“That you slept uncomfortably because of me.”

She shook her head quickly. “Hajima. I liked having you that close. I got to watch over you this time.”

He never in a million years had thought that a female would have said that to him and he’d actually enjoy it. Once a powerful Casanova, in a matter of a few weeks he’d been reduced to a purring kitten. Now, he couldn’t help but stare at her with a goofy grin until he forced himself to stop. “Is it really noon?”

“Ne.”

He sighed heavily, sitting upright. “Araso, I’m up, I’m up.”

“Well then, good Morning.”

He shook his head, looking up and tapping her cute little nose with a finger. “More like good afternoon.” With a smile she tugged his hand gently and he let her lead him as he stumbled, still slightly groggy, towards the kitchen.

“Ah look who’s awake.” WooBin teased as YiJung entered the room.

“Ya, don’t you have your own home to cook at?” He shot back, patting down his untamed locks. He knew neither of them cared but absolutely hated that his best friend and girl were seeing him so unkempt.

He felt GaEul lightly touch his waist as she slipped by. “You look fine,” she whispered as she passed, sending shivers up his spine.

“That’s what I always tell him.” WooBin nodded, tossing a plastic bag in his direction. “Anyways, here.”

“What’s this?”

“It’s some sort of shower-less shampoo. I knew your hair would be bugging you and you can’t shower until tomorrow so found that.”

He wasn’t surprised by Woobin’s thoughtfulness, but he was slightly embarrassed at all the attention he was receiving from his friends. “It’s just one more day WooBin-ah, you didn’t have to go through the trouble.” Unconsciously he rubbed his fingers through his hair.  He’d never admit that he was really pleased to have an alternative to going completely shampoo-less for another day. “Kumawo.”

“Ne. Come eat, it’s still warm enough.”

“Araso.” He was surprisingly hungry, a good sign considering the fact that food hadn’t been of much interest to him for the past few weeks. He knew it would be delicious too, WooBin was an excellent closet cook.

He finished quickly, anxious to clean up and change his clothing. WooBin was relaxing at the table, newspaper spread before him. GaEul was nowhere to be seen but the soft sound of running water and clinking behind him told him she was cleaning up.

“Do you want to flush your line now, or after you clean up?” WooBin had risen, unpacking a small black bag. Right, his central line needed to be taken care of. He’d forgotten about that, it was still so new.

“Uh, just do it now then I’ll wash up.”

“Araso.”

ing his shirt, YiJung carefully exposed the foreign port. It didn’t feel so awkward anymore, but looking at it still gave him quite a shock.

“Want to give us a hand?” WooBin inquired, nodding at GaEul who entered the room, sleeves rolled up and hands red from the hot water.

Her face lost a bit of color at the sight of the tubing poking out from his chest. “Anyo, I’m just going to uh- tidy up the other room.”

“Why don’t you go gather your things and I’ll take you home to change before we do whatever it is we’re going to do today. I’ll come get you when we’re done” WooBin suggested kindly.

“Ne.” she squeaked, hightailing it for the other room as fast as she could.

YiJung sighed, laying his forehead on the table.

“She’ll come around eventually. It’s still new to her.”

He picked his head up. “How did you adjust so quickly?”

“I wouldn’t say I’ve adjusted.”

“Anyo?”

WooBin paused, laying down the next syringe. “Anyo. When things happen, I find something to do that’s related to the issue. It makes me feel better to have some way to be involved in what’s happening. That’s how I deal with troubles.” He picked up another alcohol wipe, continuing where he left off as he spoke. “GaEul, she needs to keep the mindset that everything’s okay. She’ll be by your side faithfully but all of this medical stuff reminds her that something is wrong. That’s what scares her- not being able to forget for even a second that something is wrong. It’s what scares us all really, we just express ourselves differently.

YiJung looked down. “When she avoids it, that scares me the most. You’re here with me staring this in the face but you’re looking at it saying it will be alright. She’s with me saying it’s going to be alright too, but that fear she has… looking at her I can’t stop thinking what she’d do if anything were to happen-“

“Hajima.” His tone was firm and cold. YiJung could see his teeth were clenched as he spoke. “Nothing’s going to happen.”

There was silence between them. WooBin capped the last line, sweeping the paper debris into a pile, refusing to make eye contact.

“You need to tell her what you told me.”

“I can’t. You remember the night I was diagnosed.”

“That was a different day.” He stripped off the gloves, looking away. “She needs to know, she can’t pretend nothing’s going on forever. She needs to hear it from you. If she means as much to you as I think she does, you’ll tell her.”

There was the dull thunk as WooBin tossed the used items in the special medical waste bin. From behind, the prince suddenly looked like a stranger with tight posture.

“WooBin-ah…” His stomach turned at his friend’s sudden change of demeanor. He couldn’t understand how the conversation had turned sour all of a sudden. This was a foreign experience , WooBin rarely acted out if ever. He struggled to find the correct words to say. “I’ll talk to her… araso? I’ll tell her.”

He saw WooBin’s shoulder’s heave in a sigh. He seemed to relax as he inhaled, centering himself once again. “It’s not really my business YiJung. Mianhe, I don’t know what got to me.”

It was a lie, they both knew what was on his mind but now wasn’t the time to say. “It’s alright,” he insisted, “Everything’s alright.”

Maybe if he kept saying it then eventually they would all start to believe it.

 

***

 

I feel like I'm spoling everyone with the quick uploads but I guess it's kind of cheating that I already had 14 chapters written when I joined this site... XD
Guess that just means I'll have to work harder to keep writing once I catch up on posting!

Also many many thanks to my first subscriber and reviewer xoxoJonceey for her kind words ^_^. Enjoy the chapter!