A Pet Who Is Loved

30 Moments

7. A Pet Who Is Loved

           Even though they discussed getting a dog many times, Yongguk never thought he was fit to take care of another life, but he still wanted a pet. That’s why when they finally moved in together, Yongguk bought a plant and set it in the windowsill of the kitchen and he promised himself it would be his own little pet. Daehyun sniggered at how much he genuinely cared for the pintsized plant, and there were times when Daehyun would about taking it out for a walk or bringing it to the garden center when he was buying plant food. There was even a time Daehyun considered getting it a friend and Yongguk smiled.

            “Plants are proven to have feelings though.” Yongguk said as he looked at it, gently touching a leaf and wondering if it would be happier outside where all the other plants were and it could interact with butterflies and bees. It was a simple potted plant, nothing too big, but it still brought him joy for some reason. He wanted it to stay in the family and during the winter he found himself taking it care of it even more. “Getting another plant isn’t a bad idea you know.”

           “I’m afraid you’re going to love them more than me.” Daehyun joked, scooting Yongguk aside and examining the plant as well. It was a cute plant, Daehyun admitted. He didn’t know how a plant could be cute, but it was. He never really gave it much thought as it sat there in the window, silhouetted against the sun on some days. He’d just stare at the black outline as he did the dishes or sat at the table and nodded off and Yongguk would have to carry him back to bed.

           “I could never love something more than I love you. Plus, it’s just a plant. It’ll probably die eventually and I can just… get another. You; you’re irreplaceable.” Yongguk said, stepping behind Daehyun and pulling him into a back hug. “And I wouldn’t want to replace you. Now that I know how to take care of a plant, maybe I’ll get something more complicated. I could grow a swirly moustache and become a bonsai tree farmer. Did you know it takes three years for one to fully grow, but they’re still so small?” Yongguk said excitedly.

           “Looks like someone has been doing their research.” Daehyun giggled, reaching out and rubbing a petal in his fingers. “But I like the flowers. I like the leaves on it and it’s been in our home for so long, it’s like our beloved pet. I couldn’t imagine getting another plant right after it dies. I’ll need time to cope.” Daehyun said, and his voice did sound a little sullen and Yongguk looked over his shoulder and side-eyed him. Was he really attached to a plant?

           “We can have a little plant funeral. We can bring flowers for flowers an invite the family and we can bury it and start a compost pile and use the soil from it to nurture future plants.” Yongguk said, and Daehyun sighed out.

           “That’s actually not a bad idea. I know it’s dumb, but I really love this plant. It was one of the first things you brought into the house and you put your heart into it. I love watching you take care of it and no matter how lame it sounds, like I said, I love this. I love your caring face and maybe when you get a bonsai you’ll have that same look, but you have to promise me you’ll always remember your humble plant beginnings.” Daehyun said, reaching out and picking up the plant. He brought it off the windowsill for the first time in a long time and set it down in front of him. The plant seemed to perk up and Yongguk looked down at it.

           In all honesty, it wasn’t the most beautiful plant he could have picked out, but it gave it character. Charm. He didn’t know how a plant could have either of them, but it did. It was like how a cat could have a cool marking on its fur or maybe your dog had a weird bark. The plant was just unique and he didn’t want it to pass away. He really thought that this was something he wanted to keep around for a long time, and he would probably get it a friend before he waited for it to die. Plants deserved to live a happy life too, even if they were just plants. He’d place his little bonsai next to it in the windowsill and they could watch life pass by through it. The sun would shine in and on nice days he’d open the window and he’d never give one more water than the other, because that was unfair.

           “Yongguk?” Daehyun spoke up, and he jerked away from his thoughts and he looked down at the plant and smiled.

           “Yes?” he asked in return and Daehyun sighed, smiling down and laughing to himself.

           “Nothing. I was just thinking about how we’re a really unconventional couple. We’re getting sentimental over a plant.” he said, and Yongguk busted out into laughter at the thought of it. He was right. Yongguk was treating this plant like it was a legitimate pet and Daehyun damn near started crying over it earlier. The two of them let go of one another and realized how odd they both were and found themselves laughing while clutching their gut. The plant swayed from the air conditioning like it was laughing too, and they both laid eyes on it. No matter how strange they were for loving a plant like one would love the family dog, that didn’t change the fact that it was loved. Daehyun could tell plants did have feelings.

           Nothing that wasn’t treasured would grow to be so incredibly, amazingly strong.