Fairies

30 Moments

16.Fairies

Daehyun didn’t like to believe in the supernatural, but it was hard to deny sometimes. There were days where he swore he saw someone that wasn’t there and he could tell someone exactly how they looked like, and even sometimes he heard the little giggles of ethereal creatures and there could only be one explanation. He had figured they had invited them into the house ever since they started taking care of even more plants despite him warning Yongguk that this could get out of hand. Things started going missing and then miniscule bells could be heard chiming away as he looked around for things frantically. Sometimes it was his keys or his glasses, or a pen or some change, but Daehyun, without a doubt, thought that there were fairies in the house.

                “Fairies?” Yongguk asked, a little bewildered at the idea. Daehyun though, nodded with his lips drawn into a stern, serious line.

                “Don’t mock them. I’m being real here. I read about them before and everyone thinks they’re so sweet but they’re devilish little bastards. I mean, they don’t mean harm and they’re more mischievous than they are actually evil but you get my gist. Anyways, I think we need to start a fairy garden if we want to make them happy.” Daehyun recommend, but Yongguk was still weary on the whole idea that fairies even existed. He, like Daehyun, just didn’t want to believe. He believed in a God and in angels and demons but there were just things like fairies and dragons and unicorns that he thought may exists but he wasn’t going to push it or really care if they didn’t. He heard Daehyun out though.

                “We need a small garden with mushrooms and if we can we should give them offerings. Small stuff that they can carry away. They like it when we acknowledge them and maybe they’ll start bringing our things back and they’ll find new things for us too. A ring someone might have dropped or some money. It doesn’t matter. I just want to keep them happy and if we don’t get anything in return that’ll be fine too. Making the garden with you will be an adventure as well.” Daehyun said. Yongguk nodded and he grabbed his keys. Daehyun didn’t expect them to start so soon but at the idea these little ones could bring them a ring and Yongguk wouldn’t have to drop a fat sack on one for his proposal made him ready and raring.

                They drove to a local supply store and picked up some wood and then they walked to the gardening department and asked for some regular mushrooms that would grow inside and they picked up a small plant of rosemary, some assorted flowers, and even a raspberry plant. This was turning out to be a bigger garden than expected but what were they to care? Once they got home, they got to work. Daehyun dug up some soil from around the yard while Yongguk nailed together the planter and stained it a nice auburn color. Daehyun said they could decorate it later and Yongguk agreed. Right then and there they needed to get things planted.

                The core was the mushrooms, and they made sure there was enough room in the middle of the ring for where they could leave stuff for the faeries. Outside the ring, they planted the flowers and across each other on either side was the rosemary plant and the raspberry one. They were going to be sure that they made their soon-to-be friends as happy as they could. Yongguk even found himself smiling though it all and Daehyun was talking out loud to them in hopes they could hear him. When they were all done, they realized it was far too big for the indoors, so they placed it outside in the backyard where there was plenty of space, sunshine, and air. Daehyun thought it was near perfect. The only thing left was their first offering of peace. He chose a watch that he had gotten back in his days in B.A.P and he laid it in the center with hopes that when they awoke, it would be gone.

                And sure enough, morning came and in place of the watch was a small nectarine. Neither of them knew where it came from since no one in the area grew nectarines, but it was presumed that the faeries liked their watch and Yongguk thought it was an unfair trade, but Daehyun seemed elated. He left some coins the next time, nothing of much worth, and in turn he found some money in his pocket and the exchanges went on and on. Daehyun’s luck was through the roof while Yongguk was more or less just enjoying how happy his boyfriend was with everything. One night, he decided to sit by the fairy garden and ask of them a favor. He felt like they had watched Daehyun his whole life and Yongguk laid down a ring that he held dear to him. His sister gave it to him when he first got into the rap game, but this, he thought, was an even enough exchange for a ring that Daehyun would love.

                He spoke to them with sternness, asking them to if not just leave a ring, then guide him to one that would be the one of Daehyun’s dreams. He didn’t expect anything back from the supposed fairies that were there and he felt a little foolish thinking that there might be something in store. But, surprises come in all shapes and sizes when Yongguk was shopping the next day and a glint in a glass case caught his eye. He didn’t think twice and asked to buy the ring that was right in front of him. As he made the purchase, he could hear whimsical laughter in his ear and he couldn’t help but to smile.

                The only thing Yongguk had to believe in now was himself.