Twenty Five

Last Autumn's Embrace

The birds seem to chirp happily, glad that the rain had stopped. The neighbourhood, which was earlier filled with the sounds of the pitter patter of the rain, the sounds of tires zooming across puddles and also footsteps desperately running back home.

But now, the rain had stopped pouring on the neighbourhood, giving way for the last bit of sunshine to fall to the ground at sunset as it revealed the orange-tinted sky.

Other than the sounds of birds, there were barely any other noises, as if any foreign sound could break the feeling of tranquility that the rain had left behind.

But Hana’s feelings were mere opposites of that.

Her heart was beating furiously in her chest; heat was still creeping to her cheeks and ears as she walked down the path headed to her home. Unconsciously, the ends of her fingertips reached upwards towards her lips. She could still feel his lips on hers; the softness; the gentleness, as she recalled what had happened.

~.~

Hana stayed still as she felt his lips on hers; too shocked to even move an inch. All she could see with her widened eyes were the glimmering lashes and wet dark brown fringe of the boy in front of her.

With the sound of the rain in background, Hana closed her eyes. This was so different than Sehun's sudden kiss to her. Call her delusional or whatnot, but she could feel emotions from him that she had never felt before; sadness, desperation and longing. His warm breath filled up the space between them, mixed with her own unsteady breathing. After what felt like seconds, he pulled away, a hint of light shining from his once dark and empty eyes. If it weren’t for the arm she had propped behind her, she might have just fallen back.

"You never shut up, don't you?" he said, a smile gracing his face.

Thank you.

Those were the unspoken words that she could see from his mesmerizing brown eyes.

Forcefully, she shifted her eyes away and turned her head towards her right, facing the playground, distracting herself from the moment. The bright globe of the sun was already touching the horizon, lighting everything it could reach in a shade of orange. She should get home by now.

Mustering up what’s left of the courage she could find, she managed out a cough before speaking.

“It’s already sunset,” she spoke nervously, her lower lip, “I need to get home.” She took in a deep breath and faced him, “Y-you should also go back. Hyeri is worried.”

With that, she fumbled to get her backpack beside her and almost stumbled out from under the bridge. As she got out of the playground area, she couldn’t help but glance back to check on him. A smile formed on her lips as she saw him walking the opposite direction, hopefully back towards his house.

~.~

“You shouldn’t have done that, Hana,” said the boy, sticking the pictures on the wall on his right, “It breaks my heart.”

Despite such sad statements, the boy could only manage a sneer on his lips as he gazed at the masterpiece of the pictures he had placed neatly on the walls of the small closet room. All of them were her picture, taken candidly.

 

Get away.” Desperately he commanded to no one in the room, clutching his hurting head.

~.~

“Where were you?”

As soon as Hana reached home, she was greeted by a rather furious-looking dad, arms crossed and all. It felt like months she hadn’t seen her father this close. With him going out early in the morning and coming home super late, drunk as usual. Her emotions were already all over the place from what happened at the park and now, new feelings came sprouting up.

Hana scanned around the room; empty beer cans scattered around, clothes lying around – some were folded neatly and some were still strewn around –, a dirty construction helmet on the floor. So, he’d been home early?

“It rained heavily when I was getting back,” explained Hana as she threw her school bag in her room, fortunately landing softly on the bed, “What’re you even doing home early, dad?” she asked, leaning back on the dining table that separated the small living room and the even smaller kitchen.

Mr. Park seemed to be struggling for words at her question but his expression soon was replaced back with his furious look.

“Anyways, I was cleaning up and look what I found,” he spoke as calm as he could as he took out a small picture from his front pocket. Hana’s eyes immediately widened, her breathing immediately speeding up, fear filling her mind. It was the picture of her mother that she secretly kept.

“What the hell did I tell you before?” Mr. Park’s voice increasing slowly as he said, “Anything relating to this woman must not exist in this house!” Veins could be seen throbbing from his neck as he shouted word after word, squashing the photo into a ball in his fist.

“That woman is my mother!” Hana ragingly belted out the words, where the courage to stand up in front of his father like that was completely unknown to her. With rage and fear stirring up inside of her, she marched towards him and roughly snatched the crumpled up photo from him, “I have the right to at least remember her!” added Hana.

“No one as dirty as your mother should be remembered!” anger was fuming from the father, Park Minki, as he yelled; “She ruined the family!”

“Mom didn’t ruin anything!” replied Hana, tears threatening to slide down her cheeks, “You’re the one who kicked her out! You’re the one who wasn’t willing to forgive her for whatever she’s done! You’re the one who doesn’t ing care about me or mom because you’re too busy drinking around, gambling around! I bet you even slept around!”

Slap.

It came in a blink of an eye. The sound resonated around the room, all other noises halting. A painful sting spread across her cheek, her face turned towards the left as it started to turn a shade of red. A tear escaped from her eye. Hana glanced at the man in front of her; his eyes were widened in shock but his expression still showed the anger.

“Don’t… ever blurt anymore nonsense. You have no idea what you’re talking about,” Minki shakily said, his voice barely audible as he released a heavy breath.

Giving one last glare, Hana zoomed past him and headed towards her room, slamming the door shut. With a huff, she dropped onto her bed.

Never in her life has her father slapped her, much less touch her aggressively. She was humiliated, was called names, was ignored, and was treated like a mere stranger who takes care of the chores and the house, but never was she beaten nor slapped.

Her eyes darted slowly towards her shaking hands on her lap as she watched teardrop after teardrop dripping onto her pale white hands. She tried to wipe the tears away aggressively, but flinched every time her palms brushed against her stinging cheek.

“What good is it to have a dad who’s alive but acts like an enemy?” mumbled Hana as she recalled Jongin’s ill-fated incident, a sad smile forming on her lips.

As soon as she turned her head to face forward, she caught sight of a red file on top of her desk. Cautiously, she got off from the bed and reached out towards the strange object. Her eyes widened in shock as she saw the letters that were displayed on the front label of the file.

It looked exactly like the file her sister, Sunyoung, gave to her a few weeks ago, only that it was much thicker. A letter was slit behind the transparent cover. It was from Sunyoung, judging from the neat, cursive handwriting that spelled out the word ‘Hana’.

Getting back to her bed, she dumped the contents of the letter and file onto the mattress. There was a small note, two photographs, a thick copy of what seemed like official documents and a necklace. Hana examined the note first. It read:

 

Hana,

I hope no one found out yet about the documents I gave you. No one was home, so I decided to just put this in your room. I found more about mom and your twin. And, by the way, the necklace belonged to mother.

 

Putting down the note, Hana grabbed the two photographs. It seemed like it was pictures of her twin. The problem was that they were all just pictures of his back. The place where the photo was taken was rather familiar. She turned the picture around and saw that one of it was dated back in 2005 and the other was in 2011.

“It’s the old lady’s shop in the neighbourhood,” recalled Hana.

Seeming that she couldn’t get much out of it anymore, she discarded the pictures to the side and diverted her focus on the documents. They were divorce papers. And, “Dad filed them.” Hana muttered under her breath.

She read every line of the documents, her heart racing in shock of the new revelation of information. “An affair,” she read out loud.

Her mother, Kim Ara, was the one who was cheating. And from her affair, she got twins. That meant that,

“I’m not his biological daughter.”

~.~

On Saturday, Hana still hasn't met with her 'dad'. She was grateful for that, but she was also very curious about what happened between Kim Ara and him. Just when she caught sight of him, he immediately went out, grunting and groaning. Just as she was about to chase after him, she suddenly got a call from Sehun, asking her out to eat at the cafe.

"So, you met Jongin yesterday?" Sehun asked as he sipped the hot chocolate.

"Yeah," she answered absent-mindedly as she glanced around the cafe as if the flower pots arranged around the shop were more interesting than the boy she was talking to.

"Okay, what's wrong?" questioned the worried boy. He saw something glinting around her neck.

"Noth-"

Before she could reply, she noticed the sudden change in Sehun's expression. He spoke again.

"Where'd you get that necklace?"


I know, I know. I've been away for far too long and this is the only chapter I can post /bangs head to the wall/. this is so short. But oh well, lots have been revealed XD Lemme know what you think ^^ (I'm not going to be able to update much this month. Sorry TT-TT)