Eight

Last Autumn's Embrace

The open sign was finally turned around to reveal the word ‘CLOSED’ once it reached 5.30pm. Sehun looked out from behind the glass of the door for anymore customers who still wanted to order a take-away. After making sure, he turned around and began cleaning up the place as he wiped his hands on the front of his black pants.

Glowing with an orange tinge of light due to the afternoon sunlight, the café had returned to its calm and quiet atmosphere. It was one of the moments Sehun cherished. The feeling of calmness and tranquility was definitely soothing his hectic heart from all the work during the day.

Being with Hana only made it even better, especially with her being happy today. She was humming a song while sweeping the floor of the café, the rays of the sun beautifying her already pretty figure. Sehun chuckled to himself as he realized that he was staring at Hana for too long until she gave him a weird look. He took the nearest rag that was on his left which so happened to be on one of the tables and began wiping the round black tables in the café.

A few minutes after that, Sehun could see from the corner of his peripheral vision that Hana had finally finished sweeping the café and was heading towards the storage closet to keep the broom. As Sehun was busy cleaning up his 7th table, he was surprised to feel a presence beside him.

He glanced to his right to see Hana helping him wipe the table. As if knowing that Sehun was looking at her, Hana turned her head to her left and gave him a smile.

“You were taking such a long time cleaning up, so I thought you needed some help. There’s only like 10 tables here. What were you doing? Were you cleaning the tables or making them?” She said sarcastically and laughed before continuing her work beside him.

A tint of pink crept up Sehun’s cheeks as he caught himself stealing glances at the girl beside him. The presence of her still affected him no matter how long they have met. Their arms would brush lightly with every movement and he could feel tingles every time. God, the things Hana did to him always make him wonder about it himself.

“You want to stay and watch the sunset today?” Sehun asked Hana as soon as they plopped themselves on the chairs that were facing the big window that revealed the setting sun which happened to be the entrance of the café. They were finally done for the day.

“I think not. I have to finish all of my dad’s work at home before I can finally rest.” answered Hana, rubbing her temples from exhaustion. She could see Sehun’s face falling for a second and continued, “But I’ll be finished by tomorrow. We can enjoy the sunset together tomorrow, okay?”

Sehun’s face showed a sign of happiness and that was enough to relieve Hana from feeling bad for not being able to watch the sunset with him today. She knew how much Sehun loved watching the sunset. The transitions of the colours of the sky were indeed a beautiful sight and Hana would love to see that. But she knew that she still had a few more errands to run before finally having a little rest. She had to finish everything by today.

~.~.~

For the umpteenth time, a buzz from her left was heard indicating the 20th text message she received for the night. It had only been two hours since she got home from the café at 6.30pm and the amount of text messages she received was just unbelievable. The feeling to just throw her phone out the window was overwhelming her but she couldn’t as it was her one and only means of communicating.

After a few more buzzes, Hana took the courtesy to put her phone in silent mode and threw it into her room. Luckily, it landed softly on her bed and not on the hard floor. She slammed the door to her bedroom closed and resumed her work; sewing, washing and folding.

She was only left with only a few more pieces and she would be done with everything. Having putting up the ‘CLOSED FOR ONE WEEK’ sign outside her house really helped her load from not increasing. It seems that her customers understand since she had been putting up that sign up every time her father wasn’t there. It was also a bonus for her since she gets to keep a lot more money than when her father was in the house.

“And… Last one. I’m finished!” Hana exclaimed in delight as she looked over her finished work. She glanced to her right to look at the time. 9pm. Wow, she didn’t even thought that she’d finished that load of work in less than 3 hours. Feeling gleeful, she gave herself a pat on her shoulder as she praised herself.

At that moment, she immediately remembered about her phone and rushed to her room. As expected, it was lighting up with a notification of a text message. Her eyes widened as she glanced at the number of text messages; 30 text messages and 20 missed calls. The weirder part was that it wasn’t even from Sehun.

It was all from Jongin.

Hana literally face palmed herself as she swiped down all the messages she received. Instantly, she pushed her cell phone down her front pocket of her pants and grabbed her sweater before rushing towards the door. How could she forget about Jongin’s request? She quickly texted him to meet her at the park that was both near hers and his house.

 

 To: Hana

But, I’m already at the dark building, thingy. Hurry down here or…

From: Jongin

 

Grunting in frustration, Hana turned around and ran to the building where they met; the abandoned building. The wind was beating over her face and her hair was just messed up from all the wind but she didn’t care. As long as she made it in time before Jongin does something that she wouldn’t even think he’d do.

Jongin being an acquaintance was already too much for her to handle. He’s annoying as someone she barely knows, she wonders how his friends cope with him. Or even his sister.

Although panting quite heavily, Hana was relieved to have reached her destination which was the Dancing Room in the building. Note to self: Find a new hangout place for Sehun and me. This place is already tainted by that guy. Hana made a mental note in her head as she entered the room.

Jongin was already waiting in the room. He was sitting in front of the mirror facing the entrance, leaning his back against the cold surface of the glass with legs and arms crossed. He seemed to be sleeping from his position as his head was ducked down with his hood and dark bangs covering his eyes. She was glad that he wasn’t at least awake.

But Hana was proven wrong when a creak of one the wooden plates of the floor was heard as her foot stepped forward. Jongin snapped his head to face forward and his smirk was seen on his face. He held his hand forward and made a gesture for her to come closer. Her feet shuffled slowly towards him and soon she was standing in front of him.

With a grunt, Jongin stood up from his sitting position to have a better look at Hana since it strained his neck to look up.

Hana had never thought that Jongin would be taller than him. Well, she wasn’t even paying attention to him since they met.  She had to tilt her head a bit upwards to lock her eyes with his; giving him the most annoying stare she can manage. It couldn’t be denied that she already felt dead tired to do anything else. And now, she had to teach this guy.

“You’re late,” a few words came out from his mouth, sounding a bit hoarse. So, he was sleeping. “You said you’d meet up after work.”

“I said after work but I didn’t say at exactly what time, did I?” she tried to come up with the best answer she could come up with. “And now,” she glanced at her phone screen, “It’s only 9.10pm and we have the whole night, right? So you can’t be mad at me.” She said a-matter-of-factly as she crossed her arms across her chest.

It's obvious that he was still a bit disoriented from the short nap since he was ruffling his messed up hair and gave out a grunt. “Fine, let’s just get this over with.” Grunted Jongin and turned around to face the mirror, fixing his hair once he caught the sight of his messy self.

“Well, someone’s cranky.” Hana blew a raspberry and whispered quietly to herself before taking her place beside Jongin in front of the mirror. Turning to her left and right to warm her body up, she took notice of her surroundings. There were a couple of torch lights placed against the mirrors facing upwards and it seemed to make the room appear brighter.

“You did that?” asked Hana as she pointed around her. It was only answered with a nod and a yawn. She pursed her lips in a straight line from the answer. Thanks. Thanking him in her head was enough for her.

~.~.~

“1, 2, 3 and slide.” Ordered Hana as Jongin copied her movements but failed on remembering the steps. With a frustrated sigh, she told him to repeat it again until he got it right. But no matter how many times he tried to do it, he just couldn’t do it. Well, in Hana’s point of view that is. He complained that he was doing it right and she retaliated back saying that it still wasn’t right.

It was only the 5th dance step of the song and 3 hours had already passed. What pissed Hana off more was that the dance moves were basic enough for even an amateur to catch. It only involved sliding to the sides, stepping front and back, some basic hand movements and a bit of popping that she added herself.

They had been going on and on with a lot arguing and disagreement about the dance moves for quite a long time for each of the dance moves. It was eating away Hana’s patience that was thinning by the second. Soon enough, all her patience would be washed away.

Feeling too annoyed with the situation at hand, Hana made the choice to finally come over to Jongin’s side and help him from behind. Maybe that way, he can follow her every move and where her hands move.

Well, that failed miserably. It was worse that she thought.

“Must I do this?” she mumbled just enough for only her to hear. At first she hesitated but seeing that all her other attempts failed, this was the only other way to help him.

Hana grabbed Jongin’s arm hesitantly and started moving them to their right positions. Seeing that the boy didn’t retract his hand back and didn’t argue back, she continued what she was doing. She felt a little guilty to have feel a bit of heat rush to her cheeks while helping Jongin with the moves from the start. Fortunately, the poor lighting inside of the room was enough to hide her face from him seeing it.

After finishing the last of the 5th step, Hana stepped back to see if there was any improvements in his dancing and to her relief, there have been a lot of major improvements. Although, it looked as if he could really dance all this while.

Hana brushed it off and mentally praised herself for teaching so well.