Twenty

Last Autumn's Embrace

Jongin twirled the blue mechanical pencil between his fingers, constantly scratching his head with his free hand as he repeatedly glanced at the door, waiting for the girl to pass through it. The sounds of the students chatting around him were somehow agitating him more.

He couldn’t help but feel worried when he saw Sehun rushing after Hana, a look of desperation in his eyes. It’s not that he would feel that Hana would be in danger around Sehun; no he won’t ever think his best friend as a dangerous person, but rather that he felt… inferior.

As he thought of it, Jongin let out a soft of chuckle; him, inferior? Why would he feel small whenever his best friend was with Hana at times he wasn’t; when he doesn’t have the courage to run over to Hana when he has something in his mind, when he couldn’t pick her up from her house every now and then?

Slowly, the smile on his face faded away. I guess I do feel inferior towards him, he thought to himself. He stopped scratching his head and lowered his pencil down as he heaved a heavy sigh, the realization hitting him. And what he saw as he lifted his head up towards the entrance of the class made him feel even smaller.

Sehun entered the classroom with a shy but bright smile upon his lips as he gazed lovingly at the girl beside him, their hands entwined. Jongin raised his head further to try and take a look at Hana but his vision was obscured by the many students standing up as they heard the shuffling feet of the teacher entering the room. As soon as she got back to her seat, she turned to the front and faced the teacher as the entire classroom greeted him.

He furrowed his eyebrows as he saw the shaking hand of the girl who was a few centimeters shorter than him. Why would she clench and unclench her hand like that?

Throughout the whole session, Jongin only could stare at Hana as questions popped into his head. Sehun and Hana would of course be a thing already by the looks of it but he still questions the girl’s actions after they held hands; she kept fidgeting in her seat and scribbling on her papers, erasing them afterwards as she somehow snapped out of her thoughts.

 

The stare she was receiving from Jongin was inexplicably uncomfortable. Why would he intently bore holes into her back when she knew that she did nothing wrong, not that she knew of. Hana shifted and fidgeted in her seat as she continuously felt him focusing on her.

Stop staring at me Jongin, she wrote on her book along with an angry face beside it. You creep, She continued as she drew a horrible-looking Kim Jongin with irregular-shaped eyes, large nose and a small line to represent his frown. Realizing that maybe with all the staring Jongin could see the scribbles, Hana immediately erased them.

Maybe she should just curse him in her head and not write it down for anyone to see. That should be a great idea.

But as she mentally swore at Jongin in her mind, her thoughts floated away to when Sehun met her at the hallway not too long ago. The eyes she saw of Sehun showed ones of desperation and hope.

To be quite honest, Hana hasn’t felt anything towards Sehun other than being her best friend and maybe like a brother she never had. He had always cared for her and gave her affection she never felt after her mother passed. When she felt down, he would always be there for her and would try his best to cheer her up.

And maybe that was the love that she felt was missing from her life.

Although the piece didn’t fit into her puzzle perfectly, maybe she could turn it around so that it would maybe be the right piece for her. Because sometimes we wouldn’t even see if it really fits into the puzzle set until we completely turn it in all the possible ways.

And that was why she wanted to try it. Maybe through that, she’ll be able to love him like how he loves her. Even though she felt that somehow it won’t work and her heart was saying otherwise.

Being the girl who has always followed what her mind says, she defied her heart.

~.~

“Do you want to get some hot chocolate with me?” The pale boy next to her asked as they left the school compound, hands side by side, barely brushing against each other, but enough to feel the warmth they were emitting.

Nodding her head in agreement, Hana wrapped the black school blazer around her more tightly as a slight cold breeze flew by. She turned her head to the left and right, scanning for the tanned boy but he was nowhere in sight. Though she did not know why, she felt the need to talk to him, to tell him about what happened, what she was actually feeling.

 Just as she caught sight of Jongin, another chilly breeze brushed against them causing her to shiver. Almost instantly, she felt warmer as she was enveloped by another blazer, Sehun’s arm wrapping above it, pulling her closer to him. It hadn’t even been that long summer passed by, but the air and wind had begun picking up the coldness of autumn.

Hana rotated her head to her left and saw the tall boy smiling down at her, holding a loving gaze onto her face. Sehun gently tightened his grip on her as they started to walk towards the café, Hana glancing back to see that Jongin was already gone. She heaved a soft sigh and leaned into Sehun’s embrace, savoring the warmth.

Passing through the crowd of pedestrians heading the opposite way, he slid his hand down to grip around hers, pulling her with him as a measure of not to lose her amidst the ocean of people. His hands were soft but large enough to fully wrap around hers until her hand could not even be seen.

As they entered the shop, the aroma of the familiar coffee made by Uncle Joonyoung immediately hit her, calming all her tense feelings about everything; the tenseness that she didn’t even notice.

“How was school?” the man who was in his late 30’s asked as he headed towards the couple, a hand and cloth inside a mug, cleaning the interior of it. Seeing Sehun and his uncle standing side by side, Hana noticed the small resemblance of the two men; their lean, tall body structures that looked like if you were to hug any of them, you’d feel safe no matter what.

Joonyoung led them to the table by the corner of the café while he was still talking to Sehun. Taking a sit at her place, Hana turned her attention to her surroundings. Today seemed to be one of the days where there were not that much customers and she somehow liked it since it wasn’t crowded, like when the shop just opened four years ago.

She was there at the grand opening of the café, when it was much smaller compared to the renovated and bigger shop they were in now. Being one of the first people to be recruited as staffs after lots of persuasion from the 14-year-old Sehun was a challenge with because of the struggles she had to face at home and not to mention the school work she had to do. But she guessed that with the help from her childhood best friend, she could go through it.

Without her realizing it, she had averted her eyes to the boy seated in front of her, examining his expression as he conversed with his uncle; from his small laughs to his crescent-like eyes that were twinkling with bliss.

Even after he stopped talking, his uncle leaving to get them drinks, Hana continued staring at him, unable to shift her eyes away. Now that she was looking at him this up-close and for this long, observing his features, there was something oddly familiar about him; in a way that she felt like she saw him when she knew he wasn’t with him and also in a way that he resembles someone. The answers were at the tip of her tongue but she just couldn’t remember what made her think like that.

“Is there something on my face, Hana?” the boy softly questioned, his hands already on his face, searching for anything that might’ve caused Hana to furrow her brows at him. He was amused to see that she was staring at him, thinking that maybe she was leaning to having the same feelings as he does whenever he gazes at her. But he immediately panicked when suddenly, she slightly frowned.

“Oh,” snapping out of her thoughts, Hana realized that she probably made a face whilst observing him. She waved his hand in front of her, “No, nothing at all. I was just thinking about something. Don’t worry.” Hana replied.

Sehun let out a chuckle as he eyed the girl in front of him, a smile gracing his small lips, “You know,” he said after a minute of silence, “you should let down your hair. You look prettier that way.” He continued as he gently clasped his hands together delicately on top of the table.

Although it was a compliment that most girls would feel embarrassed or shy about it, Hana only looked at him, blinking her eyes neutrally. Giving him a small smile, she said, “That’s okay. You know that I like to put it up like this because it’s much less annoying for me,” Letting out a quiet chuckle at the end, she leaned forward, lowering her chin as she supported it with the back of her fisted hand propped up by her elbow on the black table.

Sehun replied her with a slight grin, his white teeth showing prominently, “How’s your sister?” he asked, not wanting to keep the moment awkward from silence.

“She’s fine, I guess,” answered Hana, her eyes focused on something else, “Just confusing as hell.” She left the sentence at that, hoping that he wouldn’t ask more about her because if he continued to prod with another question on that matter, she might spill about the information she just received from her sister about her having a twin.

And just as Sehun wanted to ask more, their drinks arrived: A chocolate milkshake for Hana and a honeydew bubble tea for Sehun.

Lowering their heads, they sipped their drinks from the black straws as they enjoyed each other’s company in each of their own perspective; the blissful feeling of being with the girl that he loves dearly and the comforting moment of being the best friend she cherished and hopefully will learn to love.

~.~

The night breeze from the opening of the door danced around the room, making the floor-to-ceiling mirrors colder than the brown wooden floor. Beams of light from the flashlights grouped up in the corners were the only light source that illuminated the room; the moon was out of sight, hidden behind the growing clouds. The pitter patter of the slight drizzle outside echoed softly in the room, the sound drowned by the music playing.

One would have been freezing in such conditions, but that didn’t apply to the couple gliding and twirling across the expanse of the room, beads of perspiration rolling down their skin as they incessantly repeated the dance move, changing it once in a while. All that was on their minds were to perfect the choreography.

The black strands of hair that managed to get loose from the ponytail behind her head were sticking over the sides of her face. Heaving out a long, tired sigh, she immediately plopped down on the floor, her legs stretched out in front of her. She shot daggers at the boy beside her who was sitting with crossed legs.

“What were you thinking about, Jongin?” asked Hana, “Why are you so stiff today?” she crossed her arms over her chest, glaring at Jongin.

“Nothing.” he curtly replied, a grunt following his response.

Knowing that she wouldn’t get anything more out of the tanned boy, Hana glanced at the time from her phone. It was already 10 at night.

Three unread messages from Sehun, it said as she unlocked her phone.

Figuring that they had enough practice for that night, Hana stood up, grabbed her hoodie and slipped it over her head, her tied ponytail becoming messy through the process. As she blew a few strands of hair from her face, suddenly, she felt two fingers sliding across her cheek, moving away the remaining hair from obscuring her view.

“Goodnight,” he said in his husky, tired voice as he turned around and walked out of the room, hands in his jacket’s pockets.

Hana stood there for a while, her heart somehow racing from that small contact he did. All this time practicing, they had been wrapping arms around each other, holding hands, being in close proximity with one another all for the sake of the choreography, and bumping into each other in the friendliest ways but it was that one little touch he placed on her cheek that had her heart thumping.

She tried to ignore it, and let him be, but unknowingly, she chased after him and followed him until she reached her house, thinking that Jongin didn’t even notice as he continued walking to his abode. Unbeknownst to her, Hana was the only thing that he could think about as she followed him, oblivious of the constant short glances he did when she was focused on her phone.

Only one thing was on his mind when he decided to slow down his pace towards his house and even bothered to use the long route home, and that was to ensure Hana’s safety, even if she had a guy to call whenever she was in danger.

At this thought, he clenched his hand into a fist.

~.~

To: Hana

Do you want to go to the amusement park tomorrow? Since like, it’s the weekend and such.

From: Sehun

 

Hana read the latest message after skimming through the other two which asked her on how she was doing and where she was at. Quickly she typed a response and when she sent it, she then realized what she wrote.

 

To: Sehun

Sure, let’s bring Jongin too.

From: Hana

 

She planted her face into the lumpy pillow in front of her. Maybe, that’s not a bad idea too. She thought as she tried to picture how tomorrow would be. It was absolutely going to be a bit awkward between just both of them. The fact that she was inexperienced in this whole ‘dating’ thing could also be another reason to bring Jongin; to give any advice on what to do since he seemed like a person who has dated.

Her phone beeped, signaling an incoming message.

 

To: Hana

Okay. See you tomorrow at 8. Tell Jongin too. Goodnight.

From: Sehun

 

Glad he agreed, thought Hana as she instantly texted Jongin.

 

To: Jongin

I’m going to the amusement park tomorrow with Sehun at 8. You should join us, it’d be fun.

From: Hana

~.~

Sounds of shredding paper filled the silent room, owned by one person. Pieces of paper were scattered across the carpeted floor, all containing small details of what once was a person’s face.

Eerily, he giggled, a big haunting smile spreading across his face as he slowly tore the picture apart and tossing it away from him on the floor to join the other similar pieces of papers and photographs.

Looking at the pieces again, the anger began to rush into him again, replacing his haunting laughs and smile to horrifyingly silent screams and tears.

“You’re mine.”


Author's note: Hey~ Long time no see. I know I know. I'm a week or two late to update. I am sorry, exams~~ *sigh* anyways. Let's take a look at the chapter. *grins* Like I said, it's going to get darker XD Sorry guys. Who is the person at the end? hmmm.. okay. So, see you guys again when I update ^^ Tell me what you think of the story so far in the comments down below. I created an ask.fm, so, feel free to ask anything bout the story or generally anything ^^ Link is here---> LINK So yeah.. That's all from me~

Oh.. and one more thing..HAVE YOU GUYS SEEN CALL ME BABY PERFORMANCES?!!! THEY BE KILLING IT LIVE!!! THEY FREAKING SANG LIVE!! SO PROUD!! *FAINTS*