Thirteen

Last Autumn's Embrace

Oh Sehun stared at the ceiling of his room, counting the yellow glow-in-dark star stickers glued above him as he sinks deeper into his blue blanket. It wasn’t that cold outside or inside, but he just felt the need to cover his body. Rolling his head to his the side desk on his right, he gazed at the box of chocolates given to him this morning; a token of appreciation from Hana for the dinner a few days before. A small smile started to form on his face.

But it stopped midway, dropping back into a slight frown.

He tried to push the guilt of not saying anything about his parents to Hana. She didn’t even have to know about them. It won’t even change anything if he told her. It’s for the best. He thought to himself.

A short beep from his cell phone was heard. Reaching his hand out over the box of chocolates, he grabbed his phone to see a message from Hana.

 

From: Hana

Guess what? I’m gonna participate in a dancing competition! I’m so excited!

To: Sehun

 

Sehun sat up on his bed, the blue blanket sliding down to his waist. He typed up a quick response asking about the details of the competition. Few minutes after that, he received a reply. His eyes widened at the information she sent. And she’s going with Jongin?

He knew he should be happy for them that they’re participating in such a thing, but the pinch in his heart somehow prevents him from feeling that.

When were they even that close? Close enough to go to a dancing competition together. As far as he knew and observed, he could see the dislike for Jongin from all her actions and her eyes when he first came to the shop. What happened in the span of a week between them?

A chuckle escaped his lips as he lay back on the bed, bringing the blanket up to his shoulder. Maybe after all his attempts of trying to get Jongin and Hana closer worked after all; it’s all so that they’d be comfortable with each other whenever they decide to hang out. Right, that’s got to have worked.

His heart somehow still doesn’t feel like that’s the whole truth.

~.~

Hana sat on the edge of her bed, the wad of bills in her hand. All sorts of calculations and plans ran through her head on how to use the money. As much as she doesn’t want to receive it, she’ll have to use it eventually. The most important thing is that she’ll have to hide the money from her father. It would cause too much commotion if he knew about this.

It was Saturday and fortunately, this was one of the two days that she starts work at noon. Maybe she could go out with Sehun to buy some of the high school stuff and treat him breakfast or brunch.

How about Jongin, then? He would be wondering what she was doing for the morning.

Wait, why was she thinking on what he wants anyways? He didn’t have to know what she’s going to do this morning. But, he did register them for the dance competition. As a token of appreciation, she guessed that she’ll have to treat him some food.

“But that’s it. Just food,” She convinced herself.

Standing up, she headed over to her cupboard of clothes and grabbed a white short-sleeved tee and a pair of long blue jeans as she texted to both Jongin and Sehun to meet her at the bus stop beside the café in 20 minutes. Tying her hair up in a high ponytail, she ran out of the house, making sure that everything was in place for her father when he comes back. She slipped into her black and white sneakers, slinging her black sling bag over her chest and walked her way to the bus stop.

It took less than 10 minutes for her to get to the bus stop. There were a few people waiting for the 9 o’clock bus already; some of them reading today’s newspaper, a few kids playing tag and a guy listening to something from his headphones. She walked up to the guy and looked up to see his face at him. Yeah, it was Kim Jongin.

No replies from the text, it surprised Hana that he was already waiting for her. He must live pretty near this part of the town.

Jongin grabbed the sides of his black Beats headphones and slid them down to his neck and focused his attention to the girl in front of him. From the look she’s giving him, she must be wondering how he got there so quickly.

“I was already here when you texted,” he tells her nonchalantly, putting his hand into the front pocket of his jeans. He glanced at his outfit and looked at the outfit that Hana wore. An amused chuckle slipped through his lips, his head facing the floor.

Confused, Hana tilted her head to one side, eyebrows furrowed. What is this guy laughing about now? She jabbed a finger to his arm - which felt unbelievably hard and muscled – and asked what he was laughing about. With his eyes, he gestured to her outfit and his outfit.

They were wearing the same, exact outfit. Even the pattern of the jeans was the same. Hana felt her cheeks getting warm at the fact. What were the chances of them wearing the same outfit? She didn’t know why she felt embarrassed and somehow sheepish that they were wearing similar outfits.

Before she could run back to change her clothes, Sehun came up to them, panting lightly from the short jog he had to make to arrive in time.

His eyes darted to both Jongin and Hana, blinking in confusion at their outfits.

“Did you…” he pointed to the both of them.

“No, we didn’t plan this. It’s an unbelievable coincidence we’re like twins today,” Hana explained with a laugh.

Sehun chuckled, “Oh, okay. For a minute there, I thought we should wear the same clothes.”

On that instant, the 9 o’clock bus stopped by the bus stop, cutting off the three teenagers’ conversation. As the doors opened, the people waiting and the three friends lined up to get on. The three of them went to sit at the back of the bus with Hana sandwiched between the two boys.

“Why are we here again?” Jongin asked as soon as the bus started moving, shifting his body to the right so that he could lean on Hana while he stretched out his legs on the remaining sits on his left.

You are here because I’ve decided to be really kind to treat you some brunch for signing me up for the competition. I was only going to bring Sehun to shop for our school stuff, but I decided to bring you along,” she replied, crossing her arms over her chest, “aren’t I nice?” she turned her head towards him and gave him a closed smile.

Jongin straightened up from leaning, bringing his legs down and looked at Hana. “Yeah, really nice,” he said sarcastically as he flicked her on her forehead. In response, she rubbed the flicked part of her forehead and turned to the giggling Sehun on her left.

After about 10 more minutes of non-stop bickering between Hana and Jongin with an amused Sehun by their side on the bus, they finally arrived at their destination; the shopping mall in the middle of the main city.

Jongin, being the new kid in Incheon, gleamed at the outstanding big building in front of him. The shopping mall was a simple three-storey building with pale red brick pathways from the sidewalk leading to one of its four entrances. Before the structure laid a small space filled with green grass and small trees lining up along the pathway between the pedestrian walkway and the shopping mall.

Seeing that it had just opened for the day, the area was less crowded with people which were great for them. The three friends began to walk towards the mall; Hana and Sehun walking side by side while the still awed Jongin slowly taking in the new surroundings around him behind them. It took them a few times to snap Jongin out of his daze to catch up with them.

“I swear, Jongin is like a little kid.” Hana stated amusingly at the kid-like expression on Jongin’s face.

~.~

It took only 30 minutes for them to find the shop and buy the necessary stuff needed for high school on Monday. Hana ended up paying for Jongin’s stuff too after he declared that he didn’t bring any money thinking that they were going out to hang out at the park or anything similar that didn’t have the need to spend money.

And that is why Hana was glaring intensely at Jongin the whole way to a Starbucks café near the entrance. Even as they sat at a table, Hana kept her glare on his every movement. When Sehun came back with their drinks and a few sandwiches, Hana cheerfully thanked him and continued her glaring at Jongin.

“You know, that frown on your face could stay there forever if you don’t stop glaring at me like that,” Jongin admitted, placing his index finger between her eyebrows and pushing it upwards in an attempt to erase the frowning expression. Shaking the finger off, Hana attempted on taking a bite on his finger.

“You better work hard for the competition because I am going to let this go; just this once.” She finally declared, massaging her temples from the excessive frowning and glaring before gobbling the egg sandwich wrapped in her hands into .

Hana looked down at her plate and saw the peels of tomato on her plate from Sehun. She looked into the sandwich she had and took out the cucumbers and gave them to Sehun. They have been doing this since they were small since Sehun didn’t like tomatoes and Hana wasn’t really fond of cucumbers.

Sehun glanced at his black G-Shock wristwatch to see that it was nearing 11AM. Nudging at Hana with his finger, he informed her of the time and their upcoming shift at the cafe. As Sehun was about to head to the cashier, Hana stopped him and said that she would pay for their meals; a token of appreciation for accompanying her here.

While she was at the cashier, Sehun was surprised to see a rather amused-looking Jongin, staring at him with a wide grin, his chin resting on his propped up arms.

"What?" Sehun asked confusingly at the sudden action.

"You have a crush on her, don't you?" Jongin teasingly accused, "I saw how you always gaze at her. Don't try to deny me."

Caught by his best friend's statement, Sehun gave a slow, sheepish nod, rubbing the back of his neck as his cheeks and ears turn red in embarrassment. He brought his finger to his lips, signaling Jongin to make sure not to tell anything to Hana about his crush on her.

Before Jongin could say anything more, from the corner of his eye, he could see Hana returning from the cashier, almost tripping as she accidentally hit a leg of a chair.

Somehow, without a solid, clear reason to Jongin, he wished that Sehun would deny his crush towards Hana.


Hey guysssss!!!! Yayyyyy!! Updated again :3 I will try my hardest to update as much as I can before the school holidays finish. Anyways, have you seen BESTie's cover of MAMACITA? They are awesome!!!!! hahahaah XDD

Anyways, don't forget to leave a comment ^^