Twenty One

Last Autumn's Embrace

Everywhere, you could hear the sounds of people exclaiming in happiness as they won the toss-the-ring games, little children begging their parents to get them stuffed animals and chit-chatting of excited teenagers hanging out with their friends on the wonderful, cool weekend. The massive Ferris wheel that turned ever so slowly – the pastel-colored carriages bringing its passengers up into the sky as they overlooked the view of the town and safely bringing them down in a circular motion – was a sight to behold as the three teenagers walked through the entrance of the amusement park.

It took the three of them 20 minutes to travel to the amusement park by bus, thus arriving at the place at 12pm. With light clouds hanging in the air, blocking the sun and circulating cool, autumn air around, it wasn’t as hot and warm it was supposed to be at noon. As the trio marveled over the somehow beautiful blend of noises from their surroundings, a particular voice – or more likely, screaming – was heard from their left.

As they turned their heads towards the source of the noise, two children ran past them, a boy chasing a girl who was dragging a light blue balloon with her as she screamed “Come and get me!” repeatedly in delight at the black-haired boy. Sehun’s eyes couldn’t leave the pair of kids as they reminded him of how his childhood with Hana looked like.

When they were just 12 years old, they would sometimes go to small carnivals held within the neighborhood, making sure that they would not be lost because, hey, they’re just wandering kids. He remembered the way Hana’s eyes twinkle in fascination at the fluffy pink cotton candy they bought, how the corners of her small lips would perk up as she took sight of the abundant amount of colorful balloons sold by the road and how she would annoy the sellers at the carnival on how they sell the items on sale.

And he vividly remembered the moment when Hana told him that she was glad to be going out for the first time with him, her only best friend, she used to say.

Being lost in his train of thoughts, Sehun didn’t even noticed when the running little girl fell down onto the ground, the balloon escaping her tiny grasp. He didn’t even noticed that the boy also came running to help her as she wept and sobbed in pain from falling and from losing her balloon that was now carried by the wind.

Once he realized what had just happened in front of him, the two people who were standing beside him were already rushing to help the kids. Sehun watched enviously at how Jongin and Hana worked together to help the two children. He could see the soft gaze she held on the little boy as she his small head, uttering a promise to the boy. Shifting his eyes, he could see the childish, puppy-like smile his best friend would rarely show as he gave the petite little girl a piggy-ride on his back after wiping her trickling tears away.

In that moment, they looked like a perfect family, consoling their children.

And Sehun felt jealous of that.

They’re just friends, Sehun. And she told you that you have a chance. Nothing to worry about, he assured himself as the two teens walked towards him, the two kids in tow. The need to protectively stand between the two people in front of him was practically challenging him, but he thought to himself that it’ll make him seem like a clingy boy who's with his crush – which he doesn’t deny – and that would make Hana feel uncomfortable with him.

The whole purpose of this supposedly ‘date’ was to make her feel relaxed and pleasant with their sudden relationship. He didn’t want to go on too fast, so he hoped that today’s events would help her in being comfortable with him.

“Hun-ah,” Hana called for the third time; the zoned out Sehun didn’t go unnoticed to her as she had been calling his name and lightly waving her hand in front of his face. Even the kids beside her tilted their head in confusion at him.

Sehun blinked his eyes and realized that Hana was calling him. Immediately, he replied a “Yes?” to her before asking what is it that she wanted to tell him.

“We’re going to get these kids another balloon and bringing them back to their parents,” explained Hana as the little boy beside her nodded his head in excitement at the mention of a new balloon, “So, let’s go.” She continued and instinctively grasped onto his arm to pull him along.

Feeling her soft hands through the thin fabric of his sleeves, a smile formed on his lips as he took the hand into his and instantly walked beside her, leaving Jongin at the back as he carried the little girl on his back.

Jongin watched them from behind, his eyes focused on their interlaced hands, releasing a heavy sigh.

~.~

“Don’t go running around again, okay?” advised Hana with a wide smile on her lips as she brought the kids back to their worrying parents. It was rather difficult to find their guardians through the sea of people crowding the amusement park and also not to mention the vague descriptions of places the children told them where their parents last were at.

The mother of the little boy – a rather young-looking woman, with wavy dark ash hair that fell just after her shoulders – came up to her and extended her hand for a handshake, a thankful warm smile grazing her pink-tinted lips. Hana wrapped her hand around hers and returned the smile.

“Thank you so much for bringing back Jinyoung,” the lady said, “let me and my friend here,” she gestured to the woman standing beside her, “treat you for lunch.”

Her friend – a slightly shorter young lady with straight, mid-length, carob-colored hair – nodded her head in agreement, a small dip in the side of her cheek appearing as she gave a small smile of gratefulness.

Initially, Hana would’ve politely decline the offer since it would be burdensome for the two couples to pay for the six of them, including their children and now they’d have to pay for three more. But as she was about to say no, she felt a tug at the hem of her dark grey jacket. Looking down, she saw the little girl, grinning brightly at her, showing all her small baby teeth.

“I want to eat with big sister,” the petite kid said as she slightly pulled the fistful of jacket in her small grip. Seeing this, and also Jongin’s and Sehun’s nodding heads, Hana agreed to the offer, her stomach growling in response too.

 

As Hana was about to take a bite from the egg sandwich in her hands, one of the women seated in front of her who introduced herself as Kang Seulgi, the mother of the boy, spoke up.

“So, who are you with?” she asked, a sneaky smile plastered on her pale face, her eyebrows jerking upwards in that teasing manner. When Hana lowered and shook her head, Seulgi and her friend, Kim Yubi – who is the mother of the little girl – leaned forward, their smiles getting wider. With the guys and girls in separate tables, it gave the two ladies to start up some irresistible girl talk.

“Eyy, don’t deny it,” Yubi teased, “You’ve got to be in a relationship with one them.”

“Or maybe both,” Seulgi added and this resulted in receiving a painful slap on her arm from Yubi. Laughing it off as she saw the hilarious facial expression of ‘are you kidding me?’ her friend was making, Seulgi continued, “What? They’re both good-looking guys.”

Making a shocking reaction, Yubi spoke, “Wait till I tell your husband that.” Almost instantly, she brought up her black handbag and covered herself from the quick slap of her friend, both laughing non-stop.

After they were sure their laughter had died down, Seulgi leaned forward again, the back of her hands supporting her chin.

“Who is it?” she asked.

“The guy in the white t-shirt and black jacket, but we aren't in a proper relationship yet though,” answered Hana after hesitating for a bit, gesturing to the smiling boy beside one of the two women’s husbands; Sehun was currently having a small conversation with the man about who knows what. But somehow, Hana’s focus shifted to the tanned boy beaming widely as he played with Jinyoung whilst talking to the other husband. She found herself smiling together with Jinyoung as Jongin caringly ruffled the boy’s little head.

And of course, the change of her focus was noted down by the practically gleaming young women across her.

“Are you sure?” questioned Yubi, a smile grazing her pink lips, “because it seems like you’re looking at the other boy.”

Flustered from being caught staring at the boys, Hana frantically waved her hands in front of her, “No, no, no, we’re just friends,” she confessed, her voice somehow decreasing its volume at the mention of ‘friend’, sounding like she wasn’t sure.

~.~

“Congratulations, you win anything you want on the top shelf!” exclaimed the young teenage boy by the toss-the-right booth, his smile widening insignificantly, showing the rows of perfectly lined white teeth.

After separating from the parents and the kids who relentlessly asked if they could ever see them again, Sehun, Jongin and Hana went their way to the rides. But on the way there, they had stopped by one of the mini game booths, trying their luck in winning some of the games. And fortunately, they did.

Placing his hand gently behind her back, Sehun grinned at the girl who he thought was the prettiest ever, and pushed her slightly forward as he nudged his head towards the prizes.

“Pick one, Hana,” he offered, his voice soft and warm.

“You won it, you pick it,” declined Hana as she stepped back, away from his touch which she was puzzled on why she didn’t miss the warmth of it.

Tilting his head in the way he does when he insisted on her to do something, and which she would helplessly comply to, Hana reluctantly picked the small golden-brown puppy plushy placed high at the edge of the top shelf. From all the other big and undeniably huggable-looking toys stacked neatly atop there, she chose the lonely puppy at the edge as its face and expression reminded her of warmth and somehow, childishness.

Jongin stood a few meters behind them, observing the loving look Sehun kept giving her as she smiled at him, her lips moving to form a ‘thank you’. Her eyes turned into almost small upturned crescents as she flashed her bright smile. He watched as Sehun caringly ruffled her jet-black hair, some of the strands coming loose from the ponytail behind her. He watched them as Sehun carefully tucked the strands behind her ear.

This feeling; this unexplainable feeling he felt running through the veins of his body as he observed them. This pulsing he felt. It was weird to have it.

Before he could think about it anymore, the couple had already walked towards him, their smiles plastered onto their faces.

“Are you sure you don’t want to play any games, Jongin?” asked Hana, worry flashed in her eyes for a second before returning back to normal. It wasn’t like Jongin to be lost in his thoughts.

“That’s okay. I’ll just save it for the other rides,” replied Jongin as he placed his hands in his front pockets, shrugging his shoulders carelessly.

 

Hana’s jaw dropped to the ground as soon as she saw the long, long line to the red rollercoaster of doom. Out of all the rides that existed in the amusement park, the one that she wanted to ride the most had the longest line. Sighing dejectedly, she turned around; feeling defeated at the fact that she knew it’ll be too late for her to ride the heart-stopping ride. She had to get back home in an hour and there was no way she would be able to make it on time.

“Let’s just get on the Ferris wheel,” suggested Sehun as he grabbed hold of her hand and hurriedly pulled her towards the big circular ride.

And that was why Hana and Sehun ended up in the same carriage and Jongin in the carriage behind them.

In the confined space of the pastel-colored wagon, Hana sat at the far end of the seat, leaning her head onto the window, looking enviously at the screaming people on the rollercoaster ride, their hands reaching up to the sky as they zoomed around the track, their screams elevating a note as they were dropped from soaring heights.

Suddenly, she felt a warm blow of air near her. Her heart jumped out of shock as she turned her head away from the window; Sehun’s face was merely centimeters away from hers. His arm was behind her, supporting his weight as he leaned forward, squinting his eyes towards what she was intently watching a moment ago.

He turned his head to face her, looking into her eyes.

“I promise to take you here when there’s less people, okay?” Sehun suddenly said, returning to his place and gave her his eye smile.

What Hana didn't notice was him taking a glance at the carriage behind him. A flustered Jongin could be seen and Sehun couldn't help but feel like he had won an achievement by that.

 

They were kissing; In front of him. (Or that was how it looked like to him.)

Jongin forced himself to look away at the scene in front of him. He saw the movement of Sehun’s arm slowly inching towards the back of Hana. When he started moving towards her, he couldn’t shift his eyes away from the scene. He knew what would happen next as he saw Hana turning her head towards him.

Although it seemed like only a peck, it still caused that small tug in his chest; the unfamiliar feeling wanting to get out. He could feel his breathing getting heavier as he saw the smile Sehun flashed at her. Did he just glanced at him?

Jongin was in that state when they got down the Ferris wheel. He shouldn’t have come. He was just a burden to the new couple. What was he even thinking?

“Are you alright, Jongin?” Hana asked as she noticed the heaving of his chest through his thin black hoodie.

Looking at the curious girl in front of him, he realized that it was because of her he decided to tag along. The big doe-like eyes were still staring at him, waiting for an answer to come out. His lips twitched upwards as he ruffled her hair, “No, I’m just a bit cold.”

Right, he doesn’t have the right to be feeling like this when he was doing this voluntarily. He was about to continue talking when he felt a vibration from his pocket. Picking it up, he was immediately replied with the ever so familiar voice he hears every single day.

 

And that was when he immediately ran out of the amusement park, hurriedly saying that he had something to do at home as he crookedly smiled and bid his farewells to them, leaving them dumbfounded.

But somehow, Hana could see the slight glimpse of devastation in his eyes.


Author's note: 1) I don't know what I wrote XD, 2) what is this even?
I am on the verge of nodding off to dreamland. I intended to update yesterday since it was my birthday (April 11th, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!), but I was caught up by my sister. *sigh*. I am sooooo gonna updated tomorrow (which is today XD) because it's my birthday (and also because I split this chapter in half since it'll be too long.
Back to the chapter: This chap is focused more on Sehun and Jongin. Don't be madddddd~~ As you can see, Jongin is developing weird feelings towards his 'blackmailed servant' friend, hana XD lul. Jealous Sehun is cute... somehow.
Anyways.. this is getting long. Comment on what you think and continue on subscribing to know what'll happen next ^^ Love ya!