Twenty Six

Last Autumn's Embrace

“This necklace?” asked Hana, confused at the sudden question. She unconsciously took it in her hand and raised it, her eyes looking down to admire it.

It was a very simple necklace. It had a very thin silver chain, a small hook at the end to connect the two ends together. A delicate red teardrop-shaped gem hung on the chain, trapped inside a cage that had white diamonds lined up along the bars, weighing the whole piece of jewelry down as it reflected feeble lights away from it.

“It belonged to my mom,” Hana answered softly. Although she somehow disliked how much she had been wrong about her mother and how much she felt betrayed by her, she was still her mother who stood up and took care of her before she was kicked out of the house, “Isn’t it pretty?”

Sehun bit his lip and shook his head, squeezing her eyes shut before opening them back, looking up at Hana, “Very pretty,” he said with a smile, “Just like the owner.”

With that slight compliment, Hana couldn’t help blush, her eyes fixed on the suddenly interesting patterns on the wooden floor. It had been a while she had heard a compliment from anyone. What should you even react to the compliment? Should you thank them? Or maybe deny blatantly? She just shook her head at how silly she was sounding in her head and just gave him a slight smile.

A few minutes passed and they were still sitting at their place, silence filling the air around them, their drinks getting colder and colder as the minutes passed. Sehun could see that something was obviously bothering Hana with how she would knit her black eyebrows together once in a while. Whatever it was, Sehun just wanted to kiss all those worries away as they finally stood up from their seats and headed towards the door, not forgetting to pay for their drinks, the worried expression still plastered on Hana’s face.

But as he was about to duck his head down in front of the playground on their way back home to capture those lips he had been longing since the first time he kissed her, she was suddenly pulled away from him. He raised his head to see where she had gone and saw that Hana was in the arms of a woman whom he recognized as her sister.

Don’t touch her,” Sunyoung coldly stated as she glared at the boy in front of her, wrapping her hand tighter around Hana’s wrist. Immediately, before Sehun could react, Sunyoung pulled her younger sister into the white car behind them, instantly pressing on the gas. In mere seconds, the figure of Sehun became as little as an ant behind them as Sunyoung sped away.

Hana could only stare at the road in front of her as she clutched her seatbelt trapped across her chest and held it for dear life. Her sister was obviously going way over the speed limit with how hard she was pressing the gas pedal, her face still in a frown. Only after she had stopped the car, Hana felt she could finally breathe again.

“What was that about?” asked Hana between heavy breaths, her shaky hands slowly letting go of the seatbelt.

Sunyoung turned towards her, her seatbelt already released, arms crossed, “What? ‘What was that about?’” she snickered, “I think I should ask you that question. What was that about: You and that boy?”

“He’s my… friend,” astonishingly, Hana found that calling him a friend was so much easier than when she had to call Jongin a friend.

“Well, he certainly doesn’t think he’s a ‘friend’ to me,” she pressed her lips together as she sighed.

“So why are you here?” questioned Hana after a few seconds of awkward silence. Sunyoung didn’t say anything but gave her another red file, similar to those before, as her answer.

Hana carefully took the contents out of the file. She was still amazed at how fast her sister could retrieve such information in such short time. Maybe being one of the powerful and top CEO of a company in Seoul also had its perks.

Her eyes scanned the paper, halting and widening at the name written on it. Why was his name on this piece of paper? She looked back at the top of the printing which displayed the words ‘birth certificate’. Why was she holding his birth certificate?

Oh Sehun.

“W-why is a-another person’s birth certificate here?” she hesitantly asked her older sister, hoping for what she was thinking would be wrong.

“Look at the parents’ names box,” Sunyoung replied straightforwardly, as if she was already expecting the question to pop up.

On the father’s side, was a name she was not familiar with but surely she had heard it somewhere – maybe Uncle Joonyoung had mentioned it before – Oh Hyunsik. And there, on the mother’s side was a name she had feared to appear on this piece of paper, Kim Ara.

No… No… It couldn’t be true. Sehun couldn’t possibly be blood-related to her, couldn’t be her twin. It was impossible that her mother was his mother too. The odds were very little.

But the more she thought about it, the more her doubts would go away; their birthdays were on the same date and year, 20th April 2000; when they were little, the cashiers at the shops they always went to together would always mistake them as siblings; and now that she thought about it, Sehun had lots of features that resemble her mother, maybe even more than her.

“Are you okay?” asked Sunyoung worriedly after a few minutes of silence, seeing that the only reaction from her sister was just the surprised expression she had plastered on her face after reading the papers, “The photos were taken by the father, Oh Hyunsik, when mom was with this guy and this ‘Sehun’ kid,” she added, pointing to the pictures in Hana’s hands.

Hana shifted her eyes to the pictures. It was undeniable that the boy in the photo was none other than Oh Sehun himself, his upside down crescent eyes while he smiled confirming it. And the woman beside him holding his small hand – although a few aging wrinkles were already evident on the corners of her eyes – was her mother.

“So,” hesitantly, the sister said, “What are you going to do?”

“I honestly don’t know. Too many things are coming to me right now.”

“You can tell me what you’re thinking; you know that right, Hana?”

Clearing , Hana faced her sister, “What happened to mom?”

With a shake of her head, Sunyoung told her that she hadn’t found anything that happened to their mother, nor of what happened to Oh Hyunsik. When she asked if Hana wanted her to find out more about her real parents, she only declined, saying that she’ll find out on her own.

But truthfully, she didn’t know how.

~.~

With the photos in her hands, Hana slowly walked back to her house, her mind full of thoughts on all the information she had received. Should she bluntly tell Sehun that their twins? It was impossible that he knew that seeing that he asked her out.

At that thought, she stopped in her tracks. She almost forgot that she had told him that should try make her like him. Furrowing her eyebrows, she recalled the kiss he gave her ever so suddenly and thought to herself that would've beeen impossible that he knew about this. There was no way that someone as sane as him would ever think about that.

If he was her twin, that meant Sehun had misunderstood that feeling of loving her as a love towards a sibling and not that of a lover. But what would happen if she told him about this? Would he be too embarrassed? Shocked? Confused? Would he run away from her because he couldn’t accept it?

She didn’t want him to go away. After all the years they’ve been together as best friends and now knowing that he’s her long lost twin brother, she couldn’t bear to be separated from Sehun. It’s not because she loves him the way he thinks he loves her, but it was because in her difficult times as a kid, Sehun stayed by her side ever since he met her and it made her happy that he was her brother.

Hana clenched her hands into fists and decided to tell him all of this tomorrow at school.

“I’ll tell him tomorrow,” she mumbled out loud as she bumped into a firm chest in front of her house. Rubbing her head, she tilted her head upwards to come face to face with the boy she was just mentioning about.

“Tell what to whom tomorrow?” Sehun asked, tucking his hands in his front pockets of his jeans. He could see the flustered look she was displaying on her face. A smile formed on his pale face, his teeth showing in perfect rows, “You have a surprise for me?”

“Huh? Oh, oh, y-yeah. A sur-surprise. Hahaha,” Hana managed to blurt out. Almost immediately, she carefully hid her hands behind her back along with the photos she was holding at the moment.

However, Sehun noticed her action as he shifted his eyes downwards towards her hands. He rubbed his hand behind his neck and instantly bade goodbye to her.

“I’ll wait till tomorrow!” he shouted as he turned around and walked backwards, waving his hand in the air with a wide smile on his face. Hana slightly waved her hand, giving him back a small smile.

After he was gone, she released a heavy breath which she hardly noticed she was holding. Lifting back the pictures, she studied the printed images on it. The more she looked at them, the more she was convinced that it was Sehun.

~.~

Hana went out of her room, eyes looking a bit dark with a tint of sadness lingering. Her grey shoes were in her hand, her black hoodie over her head, covering almost half of her face. Scanning the living room in front of her where there were no signs of Park Minki returning for the night. Only the sounds of crickets were breaking the silence of the night.

Taking the keys from the key holder beside the door, Hana went out, a sad sigh escaping her lips. She wanted to talk to him. She wanted to apologize. She wanted to ask everything about what happened. But she knew that it would take a few days for him to come back home because of the fight they had. Even when her mother left the house, it took nearly a week for him to completely stay back at home, even if he was drunk.

All she could think now was to dance her worries away for now. It had been a few days she hadn’t danced in her hideout.

Hands warmly tucked inside her jacket’s pockets, Hana began walking towards the building, her head held up as she gazed at the dimly lit stars. The wind blew strongly from her side causing goose bumps to stand up even under all the clothes she was wearing. Even so, she didn’t feel that cold. All that was on her mind was the building in front of her as it emerged nearer and nearer.

Being lost in her thoughts, Hana didn’t even notice the light shining out from the room until she entered it. There, in the middle of the room, was Jongin spinning around as if he was waltzing, his arms hanging in mid air as if there was someone he was holding. The flashlight she always brought with him stood upright at the far end of the room and the light made it seem like he was under the spotlight on stage.

She didn’t know how long she was just standing there as staring at the spot where Jongin was dancing because the next thing she knew was the said boy himself was standing right in front of her, gazing softly at her amazed expression.

“Having fun?” his husky voice resonating across the room, that childish smile she realized she missed so much plastered on his face.

“Shut up,” ordered Hana, looking away to hide her embarrassed self as she strutted into the dancing area, immediately thinking of something to say when she remembered about the dancing competition, “We have a lot practicing to do.” With Jongin being gone for almost a week, they really did have a lot of catching up to do if they wanted to win the contest.

And so they danced with the girl once in a while shouting at the boy about wrong steps and the boy sometimes making fun of the moves she made up.

“And after this we-,” the girl stated but was suddenly cut off by Jongin.

“Hana,” Jongin relaxed his body from the stance he was in, placing his hands on her cheeks, “are you crying?”

Hana confusingly looked into the boy’s eyes, “what do you mean-?” That was when she felt it; warm tears sliding down her cheeks.

Her knees were trembling and the pain she had been feeling even before she came here, the pain she was trying to numb could finally be felt. And it hurts. Probably from all the overwhelming revelations and feelings she had been going through for these few days.

And dancing with Jongin triggered a memory of her mother being so loving and caring and this is what eventually led to a breakdown.

Jongin carefully let her slide down to the ground as she held her chest, hugging her tightly and smoothing her back gently. He could feel his shoulder getting wet as Hana continued sobbing.

“Why did you do that, mom?” her brittle voice coming out muffled by Jongin’s shirt. He removed her from his chest and looked at her.

“I’m here.”

And before she knew it, she began blurting out all of her worries, including about Sehun.

~.~

Jongin lied on his bed, staring up at the ceiling decorated with glow-in-the-dark planets. He rubbed his temple as he tried to process everything Hana had told him.

After her confession, both of them just sat in silence.

“Well, I’m sure Sehun would finally understand that all this time he was just feeling sibling love,” he had said as he tried his best to smile, “He won’t break down, I assure you. He won’t distance himself away from you. He won’t isolate you. He won’t ignore you and live as if he never knew you. I’ve been friends with him since we were little and he forgives and understands easily. He loves you even as his long lost twin sister," he paused, "And don't worry too much about the kiss. Some siblings kiss each other.” This earned him arough punch to his shoulder.

Then he took her home.

Jongin smacked his own forehead. He was never good with words and didn’t even know that what he was saying to Hana made sense or not. For once, he would really like to have Sehun’s abilities to sweet talk people.

Heaving out a big sigh, he muttered, “I guess I’ll have to tell her about that too then.”

~.~

Hana clenched and unclenched her hands as she climbed up the stairs, once in a while halting and turning back but then continuing walking upwards. She was a nervous wreck.

During the free period before lunchtime, Hana had told Sehun to meet her on the rooftop of the school because she had something to talk to him about. Sehun’s face brightly lit up as he remembered that she said she had a surprise for him. She felt that what she was going to do would break his heart severely and the nervousness started to fill her up.

What she didn’t expect as she approached the door to the rooftop were voices. They sounded like they were arguing about something. Did she pick the wrong time or place to meet with Sehun? Being the curious Hana, she stood behind the door, the mumbling voices barely heard.

“What are you going to do now?” A terrifyingly husky, grating voice spoke; a scoff could be heard afterwards.

“Didn’t I tell you to go away?” The other voice was Sehun’s. Hana knitted her eyebrows together in confusion. What was this?

“But you didn’t say for how long,” the other person replied as he laughed almost menacingly that it caused goose bumps to form on the back of Hana’s neck.

“Well, now I’m going to say it, please stay out of my presence forever.”

“No, I won’t. You didn’t even deny me when I first came back. How could I back away now?”

“Just leave. Even being with you is hurting.”

 

A pause.

 

“Fine, I’ll leave for now. Give my regards to the person standing behind the door.”


Author's Note: Hello my lovelieeesss~~ How you've been? I am very sorry for not updating lately. School finally caught up with me and it's tiring. That's okay, 4 months more, and I'll be free. (don't know what to feel bout that tho) So, how are you guys? I saw the rise and fall of the amount of subs and I am scolding myself for not updating that much *slaps self*

Oh I just realized that this story is already 1 year old XD It's been THAT long and I'm only on chapter 26. wow, good job, teeny, good job.

What do you guys think of the chapter btw? I had to write this is 5 takes because I lost inspiration halfway *sigh*

Just comment what you guys think about this chapter ^^ (I think this fanfic is gonna be finished in about... lemme see, 8-10 chapters more I think.)

So, that's it ^^ See you guys in the comments section :)