Twenty Nine

Last Autumn's Embrace

 

 

The glow-in-dark stars that were stuck on the ceiling were fading away as Sehun stared at them from his bed, his thoughts wandering to when he got rejected by Hana. It was not that it didn’t bother him, it did… a lot. But he wasn’t going to show that he was sad and disappointed to her. This just probably means that he hasn’t tried hard enough.

He turned to his side, turning his attention to the picture of Hana and him when they were little. Noticing that there were specks of dust on the frame and glass, he reached out to pick it up, wiping off the dust. They were so young when they first met and he remembered how pretty she was back then and how she has grown to be a beautiful girl. No matter how much he knew about her, it still didn’t change his feelings for her. Not even when she rejected him.

A sigh escaped his lips as he laid back on his comfy bed. If only it was that easy to make your crush like you back, but alas, everything required effort. He took his phone that was by his pillow, turned it on and opened up his messages. His eyes lingered on Hana’s name; no new messages from her. That was expected.

Sehun’s thumbs hovered above the screen, thinking of what to message Hana. Would it be weird for him to be texting about how she was feeling or what she was doing after he was turned down by her? He tapped the phone against his forehead, hoping that an idea would come out. Maybe it would be better if he gave her a call, and that was what he did.

Ring…

Ring…

He dialled again when the call went to voicemail. Was she away from her phone right now? The digital clock on his side table showed that it was already 9.30pm. She should be done with her house work by now if he remembered correctly.

A thought came to his mind. Would she be at the dance studio right now? It’s been a while since they’ve been there together. Maybe Hana was releasing stress at the studio after a long day. Slipping into his blue hoodie and black shoes, he headed out, bringing the house key with him as he shouted that he was meeting Hana to his uncle.

Throughout the journey to the studio, Sehun thought up of possible scenarios that would happen when he eventually meets her. If she was there and was dancing, he could join her and possibly naturally start up a conversation with her. In the case that she was by the entrance, probably because she just arrived, he could just tap her shoulder and ask if he could accompany her. But if she wasn’t even there, maybe he’d head over to her house.

Upon arriving, he saw that there was something different. The lights were on. He hurried inside, thinking of whatever possible reasons for there to be light. As he reached the room, he stopped in his tracks when he saw what was happening.

Jongin was tying up Hana’s hair up in a ponytail. An unsettling feeling seemed to rise as he watched his best friend twisting the hair tie to tighten and hold the hair in place. His feet just wouldn’t move the longer he stared. It was probably nothing and Jongin was just helping her out when she asked to. Yeah, that has to be it. They couldn’t be that close to each other that he could easily do that without her orders. At least that was what Sehun kept telling himself.

Was this jealousy he felt? Jealous because of the way he saw Jongin looking at Hana when she turned around? Jealous that she was looking quite shy around the boy in front of her? He watched as Jongin brought his hands to the sides of her head and brought his lips towards her forehead.

Sehun could feel his heart squeezing at the sight of Jongin giving Hana a kiss on the forehead. Was he too invested in his feelings for Hana that he didn’t notice his own friend developing feelings for the girl he liked? No, he did notice and even made sure to show him especially at the amusement park even if he had to fake it. It was his own fault that he overestimated his will and effort in making Hana fall for him. Something must have happened between Jongin and Hana that he wasn’t aware about for them to be this close at this point.

Before the pair could continue whatever they were doing, Sehun gave a knock on the door. He reminded himself of his original intent in coming here; to meet Hana. Pushing the door open, he made his way inside the room, giving the both of them his signature smile.

“I figured you’d be here, Hana,” he stated, setting down his phone and keys down by the mirror, “But I didn’t think you’d be here too, Jongin.” added Sehun, glancing at their reflections in the mirror. He could see his best friend rubbing his neck and looking out of the window and his crush was instead playing with her hair, releasing a cough. Too awkward.

Sehun turned around to face them, forcing a smile on his face, “It’s been a while since I’ve dance,” he said, “Wanna dance together?” holding out his hand in a gesture to invite both of them to join him, even though it was him who was interrupting them.

~.~

The floorboards creaked as Hana tried her best to tip toe to her room, hoping that she wouldn’t wake up her father who was sleeping on the couch in the living room. When she came back home, the first thing she noticed was the brown boots that belonged to her old man who probably just got back from his construction work. The safety helmet that rested beside the dirty plates on the kitchen table showed that he had eaten takeouts before he went to sleep. A feeling of guilt rose as she felt bad for not preparing anything for him to eat after work.

A cold breeze brushed against her skin as she glanced back to the sleeping figure. Autumn really is bringing the chilly weather with it. Quietly, she took a folded blanket from one of her drawers and gently covered her father with it, making sure she didn’t bother his rest. He may have hated him with passion in the past, but after learning more and more of what actually happened, she couldn’t help but be understanding of why he acted the way he did, even if it was hard for her. But everyone deserves a second chance, don’t they?

As soon as she entered her room, she plopped onto her bed, arms spread wide as she stared at the dark ceiling. Time seemed to go by slowly today with everything that happened. From her confrontation with Sehun, to her unexpected meeting with Chanyeol, and then the dancing with Jongin which was eventually joined by Sehun. What a day.

Of all the things that happened, however, the part where Jongin kissed her forehead was the one that keeps lingering in my mind. She rolled over to her side, covering her face with her hands as she felt her face turning red from just the thought of it. Only Kim Jongin would spontaneously do that out of nowhere.

“With a kiss on your head,” mumbled Hana, softly touching the part of her head where Jongin’s lips made contact, remembering that was what he said were the lyrics of the song they were going to perform. How exactly is her heart going to survive this whenever they practice? Thank God Sehun arrived on time before she had to reply Jongin.

Though at first it was kind of awkward to talk to Sehun again, fortunately she found it easier than she thought. It was as if nothing actually happened between them and they were back to being friends. She wondered if he wasn’t showing what he was truly feeling because of what happened. Either way, she was glad to get her friend back, as selfish as it may sound.

I’ll just tell him about the brother thing another day,’ she thought to herself, closing her eyes for a while.

 

The sound of her alarm clock was what woke her up at 7am on a Monday. She noticed that she was covered by a blanket and her ponytail was already undone. Hana was quick to conclude that it was probably her father tucking her in some time in the night when she accidentally fell asleep on the bed without changing. Also because the blanket was the same one she placed on him the night before.

Her head started spinning the moment she tried to get up from the bed. Did she contract a fever after just a night of being exposed to the cold? She placed her hand over her forehead, hoping that she wasn’t actually sick, but alas, she was burning up. “Wow, my immune system ,” she commented as she forced herself to stand.

With sleepy eyes, she slowly headed to her bedroom door to get out only to be greeted by her father outside her room, a tray of food in his hands. There was a plate of an egg sandwich, a glass of water and what looked like a pill on the tray.

“Eat up,” he curtly said with a straight face, handing over the food to her before turning back to the living room.

She could see him picking up his fluorescent green vest and safety helmet by the kitchen table as he headed towards the front door.

“A-are you going to work?” asked Hana, her voice laced with nervousness as these were the first proper words she had uttered to his father after their fight. He replied with a simple nod and grunt.

“Stay safe,” she bade as a goodbye before he left.

A small smile formed on her face when she could hear him utter a short ‘thanks’ as he closed the front door. At least there was progress.

Hana shifted her eyes to the tray of food in her hands. Her father must have known that she got a fever last night when he tucked her to bed as there was a tablet of ibuprofen by the side. At times like this, she began to realise that he actually cared for her even if she wasn’t his biological daughter. Before tears could form in her eyes, she snapped out of her thoughts and sat down on the kitchen table to eat.

At the sound of the notifications from her phone, Hana went into her room to fetch it. 5 messages; two from Jongin, two from Sehun and one from an unknown sender. She could already guessed what the two were texting to her about, so she tapped on the message from the one she didn’t know.

 

From: Unknown

Hana dsjdnsjfjdjsfnjkska

 

“What even…” the text didn’t make any sense whatsoever. Was it one of her classmates? And what’s with the keyboard smash. Everything about the message was weird. It sent a chill down her spine nonetheless.


Author's note: Well then, it's been a while since I've written from Sehun's perspective. Hope you guys like it~ Don't forget to leave a comment ^^