Twenty Three

Last Autumn's Embrace

Day six; there was still no word from the boy, her partner in dance.

 

The teacher’s voice resonated around the room as he explained about cell division in front of the almost silent classroom. His back was supported by the wall beside the whiteboard as he read aloud from the book he held in his held. Small murmurs of confusion about the topic filled the air every now and then from the learning students.

Although everyone else was busy taking down notes, listening intently to the teacher or just plainly showing their disinterest in the topic by poking the others, all Hana could hear was Hyeri’s voice as she explained what happened the day before.

 

“It was on Saturday, the day you guys went out to the amusement park.” Hyeri started, “He went out early in the morning during breakfast, saying that he finally hit the jackpot. He has always been this dedicated cop that won’t stop for anything when he was on a case. The night before, I heard him proudly brag about the criminals leaving a trace that led straight to them.

“I also went out that day with my friend, Lee Hyunwoo, the guy who called you for me. When I was out, dad even texted me that after he finished his work, he was going to have a big celebration and treat the family out.” By now, Hyeri was sobbing, fresh tears flowing down her cheeks. Hana smoothed her back, calming her down again.

“The police are still searching and finding clues of the group they were planning to ambush. They ran away, they said.” She stopped for awhile. Silence enveloping them as she clenched and unclenched her fists. She was shaking.

“I shouldn’t have gone out that day. I should’ve been the one to answer the call instead of mom. If I was at home, mom wouldn’t have locked herself in her room after the funeral. If I was the one who answered the call, I could’ve comforted mom right there and then. But instead, I was out until noon having fun, while she cried and suffered with the weight of the news alone. The time I reached home, she was already crouching on the floor, shaken up and refusing any eye contact.” She almost shouted to herself, anger and regret filling her thoughts.

She wiped the tears after a while and tried her best to form a smile, “But I guess, I’ll eventually have to be the strong one of the family, won’t I?”

 

Hana looked out the window as she pondered on those words, ‘the strong one’. If she was the strong one of her family, what did that make Jongin? As she got lost in her own thoughts, she failed to notice that she was stared at by the boy in front of her while students filed out of the classroom, heading towards the canteen.

~.~

Sehun placed his cheek on his open palm, supporting it up with his arm propped up from the table as he stared at the girl in front of him. It took him a considerable amount of time to finally get Hana out of her thoughts, informing her that class had finished.

Even on their way to the canteen to get their lunch, the shorter girl was silent, glancing here and there, as if she was waiting for something, or someone.

He glanced at her plate, the food barely touched other than the messy side of it where he continuously stirred her spoon in a regular circular motion. She was already in deep thought judging from her actions. Heaving a long sigh, he continued observing Hana thinking that she would eventually mutter something out, like she always would.

Not long after that, it wasn’t an addition to the bustling voices in the canteen that he heard, but rather, the sudden silence from a few people he noticed from the entrance.

~.~

Well, well, if it isn’t the ever so sweet Kim Hyeri. He thought as he crossed his arms on his chest tighter. I was waiting for you.

A few students beside him stood up and ran to the doors of the cafeteria towards the petite girl, escorting her to the table where she and her friends usually sat. Hyunwoo was waiting by the table smiling at her warmly.

Oh, what’s this, they’re taking this path? The boy thought, a sinister smile spreading across his face. Would she finally breakdown in front of the whole school if I trip her? No one can take their father’s death that much.

~.~

Sehun’s eyes shifted to Hana as her head shot up and turned around, intently watching as the younger passed by. Maybe it had to do with their meet up the previous day. He mentally laughed at how, for the first time ever, he had to lie to the teacher for Park Hana who went missing just before class started.

He looked towards Hyeri and thought that maybe he could talk and ask her about what happened the previous day.

As he turned around as Hyeri passed their table, he swore he saw a mysterious person looking at him with this sinister smile he had. And what was even creepier was that he could see how deadly and possessive the eyes of the person got.

~.~

Hana finally gave up thinking too much and let her head down onto the table, her face facing the window, displaying the trees that could be seen already changing colors to different shades of green, yellow and brown.

She sighed; to think that she hoped that Hyeri would come with Jongin at the cafeteria just now, how stupid of her. Of course he wouldn’t, like every previous day he hasn’t. Why would she want to see him anyways? It had been much more peaceful with him not annoying her every second of the day. She wouldn’t be worried of facing him tonight too. How peaceful.

What was this other worrying feeling that kept bothering her though? No matter how she looked at it, she shouldn’t be worried about anything for now. Knocking her head a few times with her fist, she heaved out a defeated breath.

“Maybe I’m just worried that we won’t be able to prepare for the competition,” she softly murmured to herself, “Yeah that must be it.”

Why wouldn’t it go away then? Hana thought as she clutched her shirt above where her heart should be.

Being her worried self, the ringing school bell didn’t even surprise her out of her thoughts. Like all the other students, she stood up from her seat, grabbed her backpack and slid her chair back into the table before heading out, her boyfriend expectedly now walking beside her.

“I must’ve worried you, right, Sehun?” softly, she muttered, her head looking down as they walked out of the school building. Hana slipped her hands into the pockets of her blazer as a breeze passed by, messing up her fringe.

“You don’t have to worry about me. I’m fine. I was just over-thinking stuff, that’s all.” informed Hana as she sped up, leaving him behind. It’s not that she didn’t enjoy his company, but sometimes, there are times where you just want to be alone for a while.

The boy just stood at his spot, frozen as he watched the girl speed-walking away. He was sad, that’s a fact, but he understood that she needed some time alone to think, “Like she always does,” he mumbled softly. Before Sehun could even start walking back towards his house, he suddenly felt pain shooting to his head as if he was struck by something.

It’s just a headache, he thought to himself as he looked back to see that no one was there.

~.~

Pitter,

Patter.

Pitter,

Patter.

Big drops of rain fell from the sky, humungous clouds covering up the orange-blue sky. The lonely girl immediately tried her best to cover herself from getting wet by hiding under her blazer before running with full effort towards anything that could be a temporary shelter. Almost immediately, she spotted the colors of the neighborhood’s playground, sighing in relief as she sprinted towards the covered up slide.

Instantly, she dropped her black backpack and slipped into the slide, away from the heavy droplets of rain. Hana made sure that the contents of her bag were still dry. She’d be dead if all her assignment papers were ruined by the rain.

She brought her knees up towards her chest, and buried half of her face in the space between, shivering in the cold atmosphere. The sound of the rain splattering onto the ground was comforting as if it was a lullaby to anyone paying attention, lulling them to a land of daydream.

Hana planned to just wait for the rain to stop and maybe catch a wink or two before heading back, but it all didn’t matter as she saw a familiar figure sitting on the swing, drenched in the rain. Her legs were moving on their own, racing to the figure as if she was afraid that he might disappear at any time.

And he didn’t.

 

“Kim Jongin.”


Author's note: I'm back guys! Hahahaha XD Took me long enough. Had exams and made a deal with my friend. Sorry for the super short chapter after such a long time being away! Do comment TTvTT I want to know what you guys think ^^ I'll probably update next week. Before I go off to camp for four days ^^ So, see ya till next time :)