Fourteen

Last Autumn's Embrace

Sweat perspired from her forehead, reflecting the rays of sunshine beating down on her as the sun raised to its position right above her head to indicate there were just minutes before it was noon. From all the running back to her house, her breathing became heavy and her hair was sticky on her neck and forehead as she arrived at the front of her door. Hana fumbled for the keys in her front pocket, worried that she would be late for her shift.

As soon as she opened the front door, the stench of opened beer cans overwhelmed even the smell of her sweat along with the sight of her father leaning against the wall opposite of the front door, facing her with an annoyed look. The groan she made seemed to grow louder at the presence of the other man in the room; Chanyeol.

“Where have you been, kid?” Mr. Park asked in a demanding tone, not pleased that he returned to an empty house.

She wanted to answer, or more likely to grunt a response, but she was seriously out of breath and was in a hurry to work. It wasn’t that she wouldn’t answer (well, that may be part of the reason), but she decided to just skip the long explanation and rant from her father.

So, she just simply held up her hand at shoulder-level, acknowledging their presence and zoomed towards her room to change into the café uniform.

Feeling enraged, Mr. Park shot up, trying to catch after Hana who had apparently already closed and locked her door. In response, Chanyeol grabbed his arm to stop him, telling him to just leave her, worried that if he lets his father to Hana, he’d have to watch the quarrel between them which would also cause him to join it.

Honestly, he was sick of all the shouting and fighting between them. It was still true that he still feels quite negatively towards his sister, but sometimes he wished that they could be a normal family without any serious feuds, without an alcoholic, gambling father, without the need to drive more than 1 hour to see a sibling but to be met with a mad, furious face.

But the jealousy and dissatisfaction somehow clouded everything every time he thought of those things.

Jealousy was the one that caused him to ‘accidentally’ trip Hana on her way out. Even at the sight of her bleeding nose from the impact of the frame of the front door didn’t seem to falter his jealous heart.

It’s true that jealousy is a really dangerous emotion for a human to possess.

~.~

“Chanyeol, you bastard.” Cursed Hana, wiping her nose with a few pieces of white tissues she took out of the packet from her pocket. She tilted her head upwards, trying to keep the blood from flowing out even more. It was already a mess that the blood was endlessly dripping to the ground between her feet, she needn’t add another problem if it stained her white uniform.

Fortunately, her nose wasn’t broken. The impact was just enough to cause a temporary nosebleed and a cut had appeared on the bridge of her nose from the collision with the edge of the frame of the door. No matter how small the cut was, it still hurt like hell.

One step at a time, she made her way to the café without much problems and attention from the pedestrians. Once she arrived at the café, she stormed into the kitchen and grabbed a few ice cubes and stuffed them in a small towel, pressuring the pack to her nose to try and stop the bleeding. She noticed the few staring eyes from the seats of the café, curious to what or who just stormed into the café.

As expected, Sehun burst through the kitchen white door, a worried expression written all over his face. She tried to give him a smile to reassure him that nothing’s seriously injured and everything’s okay, but formed a rather painful looking square due to the pain. Apparently, the bruise was not only on her nose, but also the sides of her nostrils.

Before she knew it, Sehun was in front of her, slowly lifting the pack of ice from her now bruising nose. The frown from Sehun was all she needed to know that it looked horrible.

“I assure you, it looks way horrible than it actually feels,” she chuckled out, trying to put back the ice pack on her nose. Sehun pulled it back, saying that he’ll clean it up for her.

She tried to refuse, but he placed a slender finger on her lips, telling her that he’d do it no matter what she said or how much she refused. Feeling flustered at the feeling of his finger on her lips, she lowered her head and nodded as she felt her face becoming warm. Hana released the breath that she didn’t even realize that she was holding when Sehun went to the back of the kitchen to fetch the first aid kit. Placing a hand on her chest, she noticed that her heartbeat was beating faster.

Of course it’ll beat faster, you moron. He was so close. Who wouldn’t be embarrassed in that situation? She thought to herself.

Hana tried to stay as still as possible as Sehun came to her and cleaned up the cut. She somehow caught herself staring at his face; how his soft light brown bangs fall slightly above his eyes, his brown eyes and that sharp jaw line.

It’s been years, she realized, that they’ve been best friends, yet she didn’t notice how much they have grown up; from little kids to teenagers. He’s grown up to a very handsome boy, she thought as she studied his face again. She had to resist the strong urge to touch those bangs that started to look like they were sticking to his face as sweat rolled the side of his forehead.

She snapped back to reality as Sehun swabbed some antiseptic to the cut, causing her to wince in pain. After that, he placed a piece of plaster gently across the bridge of her nose.

“Done,” announced Sehun, placing everything back into the kit and putting it back on the shelf. He paused for a while as he heard Hana squeaked thanks to him. Even after years of becoming best friends with her, he rarely heard her thanking him. Maybe it was because she expresses more with her actions rather than words.

A smile and a nod were all that Sehun responded with. Realizing that their shift had started about 10 minutes earlier, he rushed out of the kitchen, grabbing the black rectangle tray from the counter.

~.~

All Sehun could do while he was working was smile after helping Hana. Even the regular customers noticed the happy aura practically radiating off him.

Truthfully, he felt like bombarding her with millions and millions of questions when he saw her running into the café with her hand covering her nose. But as he caught sight if the red and bloody nose, he knew that he could ask about that later. The first thing that mattered was to get her cleaned up.

He still needed to know who did that to her, though he could already guess who did it. Rage boiled inside him when he went to get the first-aid kit. But as he slowly washed and cleaned her wound, it eventually subsided, turning into sadness for what had happened to her.

He didn’t even realize that he was standing a little too close to her; so close that if he moved in further, they could have brushed their lips together. The realization of that moment was what keeping his smile plastered on his face since.

While aiding her, he gazed at every feature she has on her face; her soft brown eyes staring at the ground, her long eyelashes, her small, yet injured nose, her silky jet-black hair that covered half of her face, and her soft, pink kissable lips. He hadn’t seen this close up to her since they were kids. His heart raced in his chest so rapidly that he might have thought that Hana would probably hear it.

And the fact that Hana even thanked him added into his happiness bucket.

Looking to his right, he caught a glimpse of Hana, her swell lessening rapidly. Relief spread inside him, knowing that she was okay.

He snapped out of his thoughts when he heard the snapping of fingers in his left ear. Oh yeah, Jongin was still talking to him. After the rush hour of lunch, he decided to have a small talk with Jongin. Sheepishly, he rubbed the back of his neck and apologized to Jongin for not listening.

“You really are infatuated with her, aren’t you?” Jongin chuckled in amusement. There was no denying his best friend’s feelings for the girl. Should he tell her about their little agreement of her being his slave? ‘Maybe later.’ He thought, not wanting himself to face a possible furious Sehun.

“She’s just so perfect, in my eyes that is. She’s pretty and smart and kind and funny and hardworking and, did I mention pretty?” explained Sehun as he rested his chin on his propped up arm. His eyes twinkled as he mentioned each positive adjective about the said girl.

Jongin shifted his eyes towards Hana and chuckled softly at Hana’s confused expression when she brought the wrong coffee to a couple at the corner of the café. Softly he agreed, “Yeah, you mentioned pretty.”

She’s not just pretty, she’s astoundingly beautiful in her own way. Jongin thought to himself as he followed his best friend’s action on admiring the girl.


Author's note;
Yay! Updated again :3 I really hope you guys like this update. A bit of Hana x Sehun there for all you shippers XD Her bro's an right? But, yeah, jealousy is really dangerous... Anyways. Put your opinions in the comments down below because comments make me happy ^^