Eighteen

Last Autumn's Embrace

Blood rushed to her ears as he kissed her gently, his right thumb caressing her cheeks in sync. She neither resisted nor followed his movements; her mind was busy trying to digest the information on his sudden action.

From the back of her head, she could hear her instincts telling her that it wasn’t right, that something was wrong. But why did she find herself leaning into his embrace and savoring it?

In the midst of losing herself in the kiss, she snapped back to reality, realizing what she was doing. Slowly and timidly, she gripped her hands into fists and brought them to Sehun’s chest, pushing him off her carefully.

“What?” was the first word she managed to croak out, making sure her eyes were anywhere other than his eyes. Instinctively, she could’ve slapped him for the sudden action, best friend or not, but she wouldn’t let the rage and shock take control of her, "What do you think you're doing?" she asked again, this time louder and clearer as the realisation that her first kiss was just taking from her surprisingly.

“I like you, Hana,” he replied as he gazed at the girl in front of him, his hand moving under her chin to bring his head up to face him, “I don’t know if you have noticed, but I have liked you since we were like little children. At first, I thought it was just a mere crush and admiration I had for you, but I soon came to realize that I liked you more than that.”

Hana unsurely looked up to the boy to be met with eyes full of hope and admiration. Biting her bottom lip out of nervousness, she shifted her eyes back down. She wanted to say something, but decided that it would be best that he’d finish what he wanted to let out.

Taking that as a sign to continue, Sehun opened his mouth to explain more, but before he could do that, he was interrupted by a loud female voice from behind.

Shifting their attention towards the voice, the pair found that Hana’s sister was standing at the gate, her arms crossed on her chest with a frown plastered on her face, obviously displeased with what she was seeing. Who wouldn’t be angry to come back to the house to find a guy kissing her younger sister?

Her heels clicked on the gravel as she strutted towards the couple, her eyes boring holes into Sehun’s head. With one look into his eyes, Sehun awkwardly coughed and left after giving Hana a look that said he would explain everything and bowed apologetically at Sunyoung, his backpack swaying side by side as he ran out.

Arms still crossed, she turned her head to face Hana, “follow me,” ordered Sunyoung before entering the house, the scent of her lavender perfume trailing behind her.

With Sunyoung occupying the yellow-stained lazy chair in the living room, Hana stood before her, hands behind her back as she blindly fiddled with her fingers.

“Well?” asked Sunyoung in a more concerning tone than the demanding tone she was used to after a few minutes of awkward silence between the two sisters. She crossed her right leg over her left knee and leaned forward, waiting to hear Hana’s answer.

“It’s not what you think it was, I guess.” Hana managed to answer, softly saying the words ‘I guess’ that it was barely audible. “He suddenly did… that,” she continued, purposely replacing the word kiss with ‘that’ as she was not used to that action.

“It’s not his fault, so don’t get mad at him,” defensively, Hana added, straightening her posture to appear strong in front of her sister. She didn’t want to appear weak before her over her loss of her first kiss. Quietly, she convinced herself that it was not that big of a deal. Maybe it was because she was used to accepting things thrown to her from her father that she had silently believed that it wasn't that serious.

Raising a brow, Sunyoung muttered a questionable ‘really’ as she stood up, crossed her arms across her chest again and came closer to Hana, her eyes inspecting her condition. Pointing to her bandaged knees, she asked, “What happened to that?”

“Fell down and scraped on the road,” she bluntly replied as she started feeling annoyed by the elder’s prying questions, “Why are you here again, Sunyoung?”

“Because I was worried about you,” mumbled Sunyoung as she eyed her younger caringly and worriedly. She didn’t actually hate her sister. In fact, she actually cared for her. It was just hard to express it when the whole family despised Hana.

“What was that?” Hana asked.

“No, forget it,” she waved her milky-skinned hand in front of her, regaining her strong composure as she took her white handbag from the chair, fumbling for something. A flimsy dark red file was brought out and it was handed out to her.

“I came to give you this.” Hana carefully took the file, looking back and forth from the file to her sister and back to the file. When she asked what was in it, Sunyoung just nudged her head, signaling her to open it.

Her eyes scanned through the printed letters on the piece of paper, her eyebrows furrowing more and more the more she went through it. This can’t be right. It had to be a mistake.

“This is impossible.” muttered Hana, flipping the sheet of paper towards Sunyoung as she tapped that specific word. Maybe it was just a spelling mistake or even the wrong paper, just maybe.

Sunyoung her red-tainted lips before taking in a huge breath, “Apparently, that’s the truth, Hana,” she sadly admitted, “You have a twin.”

~.~

The sun was setting down in the horizon, illuminating its bright orange streaks throughout the area, lighting up the buildings and the surroundings in this beautiful mixture of colors. The air breezing past him seemed to have grown colder as autumn was taking over.

Though the soothing breeze could cool off anyone, it didn’t seem to lessen the amount of frustration the boy had in his heart. Furiously, he kicked the small grey pebble in front of him, hitting the broken-down car by the side of the road. Taking no heed to look for any damage he caused, he continued his way back home.

Once he got back home, he dumped his backpack on the floor by the door and trudged to his room disappointingly.

“Where are you going?” the older man asked worryingly seeing the boy with a frown on his face as soon he got back.

Ignoring him, the younger went into his room, slamming the door in process to show that he wasn’t up to talking at the moment. Slumping on his bed, he glanced to his left; towards the closed closet.

“Oh, Park Hana,” he mumbled.

~.~

With her head resting on the arm of the chair, the dark red file in her hand, she tried to process what her sister explained a moment ago.

She had a twin, an actual twin. After all these years, Sunyoung was busy finding out about their mom’s disappearance, not believing what their father said about her dying. And through all that research, she got her hands on a few informative issues. Apparently, Hana had a twin but Mrs. Park never revealed to them for unknown reasons. Where she hid the twin was still unspecified.

And what hit them the most after finding out about the twin was that their mother was actually alive when she left them.

Hana had not planned to break down in front on anyone today, but she eventually did. Her body was aching from all the wounds she received yesterday and her mind was just so pressured from all the events that happened. As she let out an amused chuckle, a teardrop flowed down her cheek, and another and another until she just became a crying mess, her chuckle turning into sobs.

The hug she received from Sunyoung was the last thing she wanted after years of being ignored by her, but now she realized that it was the first thing she needed to go through this. Though she didn’t get what she wanted, she was presented with what she didn’t know she needed this entire long.

She dipped her head onto her shoulder, the white coat Sunyoung was wearing turning a shade darker as the tears were absorbed into the cloth. The older sister didn’t know what to do; she had never hugged a sibling when they were in this state. Heck, she never wrapped her arms around a family member after their mother left.

 Grabbing the sides of her arms gently, Sunyoung pushed her off her and gazed at her.

“Whatever you do, do not, I repeat, do not show this to anyone else,” she warned her as she searched her eyes, wiping the tears away. She didn’t want to leave the younger, but she had to go before any of the other members of the family come. Standing up from her kneeling position, she inhaled a sufficient amount of oxygen and almost immediately, she turned back to her emotionless expression. She wiped the dirt that managed to be caught on her white pencil skirt and rotated 180 degrees, walking to the entrance.

“Be glad that I was the one who caught you with that guy,” because if either of them caught you, I don’t know what’ll happen to you, she added in her mind after saying those words, her hand on the doorknob.

Seeing her sister leaving the house, Hana stood up, wiping the tears as she felt them drying on her cheeks.

Why must the caring sister she longed for appear now, out of all the times? She wanted to be mad at her, throw things at her, and yell at her for not being there for all these years. Instead, she hugged her, chanting ‘I miss you’s in her mind.

Letting out an amused chuckle, she glanced back at the red file and took out its contents. There was a picture of her mother with her and her twin in her arms, smiling genuinely, oblivious of the camera capturing the moment.

She placed the things back in place and went into her room, lifted the mattress of her bed an inch above and slid the file below it, making sure it couldn’t be seen.

~.~

Driving at an incredible speed of 180km/h, Sunyoung skillfully maneuvered between the speeding cars on the highway, thinking of what had happened. she wiped the beads of perspiration sliding down her forehead. Although she knew it was unnecessary, she felt the need to find out about what happened to their family since no one else wanted to.

Giving a call to her secretary, she told her to cancel her next meeting with the reason of feeling unwell. The questions inside her head would evetually cause an unwanted headache.

Why would their mother hide something so big from them? And where was she right now?


Author's Note:
Hello new subscribers!!! I finally won the bid yesterday :) Hope you enjoy the story ^^ Just a heads up, it's going to get a bit confusing and angsty and maybe dark if you want to categorize it as that. When I say angsty, I mean it. Sorry.. It's my forte. so yeah. I'll be updating really slow coz I'm in my senior year, so I have trials every two weeks. Soooo.. yeah. That's all. Oh and sorry again for the short chapter :)

btw.. Try and guess who's the boy in the second part of the chapter :3