Escapade-Day

Be Extant, Stay Around

That afternoon, Kyuhyun waits for his daughter patiently, and between maintaining his coolness among the many housewives that present in front of the school gates and battling his inner desire to flee from the school, the lanky doctor finally steps out from his car; acting like he has done this particular job so many times before. But, nothing can rest assure him fully when he does not know what to expect from his first time fetching the little girl from the school. Fear drains his energy, making him lost the five senses - something that is not so Kyuhyun - which he doesn't seem to realize that women around him are talking incessantly about him.

The typical thing ladies love to gossip - how the unusually attractive young man ends up in front of the school gate - it can't be that he is picking his daughter up, right? - for all we know, she is probably her niece.

Kyuhyun , in his last attempt to fan down his nervousness catches the curiosity eyes among the group of women across him, and somehow the super hearing that comes out of nowhere ring the bells inside his head, instantly gives him the realization that indeed people around him are whispering about him, and entirely him.

The lanky male can't help himself when the slight irritated, scornful derision coloring his pale face, though he tries his very best not to let his body language reflecting his annoyance to the world. Again, this is not so Kyuhyun for he always does what he feels right blatantly; and right now he feels that it seems right for him to show the slight indignation he feels inside. Why people don't consider that perhaps he has gotten married, and that he is now fetching his son? Why women love - and always love - to assume that a guy like him, who comes to elementary school, only going to pick the daughter of his sister, or brother? Why can't it be the nephew instead?

Smiles bitterly, the young doctor composes himself so that the delirious thoughts of him doesn't consume him completely, and the people around him don't get offended. Heavy sigh escapes the doctor's lips as he leaning against the silver car, soothing his nerves that send him over the edge.

He remembers asking questions to Siwon about the fetching schedule they created for the girl earlier that day, in order not to cause any misunderstanding between all the respective authority, or more specifically Hankyung the Chinaman, though the lanky doctor is not the one who informs about the changes; as he still feels awkward to converse and request something from his friends - albeit Hankyung is the new acquaintance to him - but few are exception like Siwon.

Loses himself in his own world, the young doctor doesn't realize that the bell has ringing; announcing the ending of the last period, and ultimately wrapping up the school session for the day. And luckily for the doctor, that he snaps himself from drowning himself with his thoughts when the cheerful laughter bursting into his eardrum, joyful smile from the innocent children who animatedly chatting without having any care for the world around them radiate his whole being subconsciously.

However, the lanky male seems to forget that nothing can compete for the warmth his daughter can draw out from him, like how Ryeowook would always manage to make him attracted to the slender male each time they meet, no matter - by it means many years has past, that the doctor lost all the arithmetical values the moments his eyes fixated on the petite figure, and that he is quite sure this effect will reach the infinity of the world.

That blinding aftermath he experiences is priceless, because he is sure that the pearly-white smile of Ryeohyun is worthy enough to be suffocated in it, just like the feeling of drowning in the most beautiful brown orbs of Ryeowook, and wishes that the time will freeze the world, so he can admire the small male for how long he wants.

And that just proves it - the moment he notices that the little cute girl is engaging in a conversation with her peers, who catches by surprise with Kyuhyun's presence, seems startled that the little girl momentarily stares at the lanky male, and that she is too shaken to actually move forward, while Kyuhyun tenses up yet anticipating at the same time. But, the beautiful smile adorns the girl's face - that's all the young father needs to make all the annoying jittery vanishes to the thin air. Like storm that wipes away everything in its way, leaving nothing to be look upon; and dumbfounded everyone by how fast the strong winds able to change anything within it courses, it does dumbfounded Kyuhyun to the core - which left him gaping at the beautiful sight without having to be such a worrywart, for once.


Because the chances that Kyuhyun will fetch the little girl anytime sooner are like once in a million-time, Ryeohyun decides to drag her father to the piano lesson at her private institution class. She shows off the mad skills she inherited from Ryeowook - mesmerized the lanky doctor to no end. It seems that it is Ryeowook who plays with the white and black keys, fingers fly over from one end to another end.

It is absurd - really  - how the lanky male remembers precisely the posture of the petite male playing the instrument, on one of the day that Kyuhyun accidentally stepped into Ryeowook's territory, with such blazing passion that the piano player didn't seem to realize he had an audience; getting too caught in the bliss to notice.

A small smile subconsciously adorns the handsome feature of Kyuhyun. He has admittedly convince himself that he never forgets the slender male though time has set them apart - who knows how long it was - with no single memory to actually reflects on; just because the lanky male never tries to recall anything regarding the particular male, back then.

Once the forty-minute session with the piano teacher has ended - Ryeohyun asks the teacher, using her adorable puppy eyes, to leave - Kyuhyun treats the daughter of his an ice-cream before they decide to go the amusement park as they don't get the chances to enjoy all the rides there previously. They try everything that fit Ryeohyun which simultaneously embarrassing Kyuhyun, when the little girl stubbornly wants to try the merry-go-round with him. The lanky doctor can only afford to drop his head to the platform, focusing on toning down the beet red on his face that only dying down completely as soon he steps down from the white wooden unicorn.

Soon, the sky has turns to the vivid shades of oranges, and gold. And when Kyuhyun realizes that they only have light lunch earlier, he decides to call it a day. Opting to eat dinner at Ryeowook's, the lanky male mentally prepares himself so that he can smoothly reason put why Ryeohyun is being brought late. Though he is pretty sure that Ryeohyun has texted Ryeowook regarding her whereabouts, the young doctor doesn't seem to shake off the dreading sentiment that brewing his whole being. He is afraid, for the lack of better term that Ryeowook might not going to agree to actually let Kyuhyun meet Ryeohyun again after this. Anything is possible, they say.

And it turns out that Kyuhyun shouldn't have really let himself anticipate with great apprehension, that something unpleasant will happen, since as soon as they reach Ryeowook's house, the front door is remain locked.

Instead it puzzles the father-and-daughter alike, for it is kind of unusual that Ryeowook will stay up late for work whenever the little girl is present in the house. The lanky doctor incisively recalls that although the petite designer is a hard working person, Ryeowook is not daring enough to stay late at work if no one is willing to accompany him. Darkness is never the friend of Ryeowook, after all.

Despite the doctor would never know if all Ryeowook's colleagues have left the office or not, he sticks to his instinct that Ryeowook will follow the office hours of the company which means that Ryeowook should be back at this time - 6PM.

Without spilling the anxiousness out to his daughter, they resumes to their own task: Kyuhyun goes straight to the fridge in the kitchen after contemplating what dinner he should make though his mind keep wandering back to Ryeowook, while the little daughter of his climbs up the stairs, mindlessly thinking what had happened to her daddy.

Thus, they ate in silence throughout the dinner, too preoccupied to be chatting with the other. Kyuhyun being the more composed between the two pulls himself out from the reverie before realizing the distraught look his daughter sporting.

"Should we watch a movie?" Eyes fixated to the little girl, who plays with the food.

"...or maybe we can go to the night market?" Kyuhyun attempts once again.

"...or maybe not..." Realizing this is futile; the lanky doctor just whispers the last sentences.

Sighing lightly, Kyuhyun then tugs the spoon off the girl's right hand - startled the life out of Ryeohyun.

Blinking, she raises her head, meeting the hazel eyes of Kyuhyun.

"Let me feed you," says Kyuhyun without warning.

However, the little girl gives him the bewildered stare to the man in front of her. And Ryeohyun continues staring at the spoon that comes near , too baffled with the sudden turn-out of event.

"Open your mouth," an order from the young doctor.

At this word, Ryeohyun blinks some more before turning her gaze towards Kyuhyun. She watches the expression on her father's face - telling her to open the mouth. It takes a while when finally the little girl grabs the mouthful of spoon from Kyuhyun's grip and shove whatever on the spoon to , dropping her gaze on the plate at the same time.

Kyuhyun, smiles unknowingly to this, quite surprised when he notices the faint blush on his daughter's cheeks.

"I intend to do that for you."

Hearing the whining from the young doctor, she replies. "I can eat just fine."

"Good then. Finish all your food. My rules on the table, nothing should be brought to the table, except your body and your cheerful self. If you want to attend the other business of yours, you may leave. I give you my permission."

 

That's a wrong move.


Annoyed, Ryeohyun blurts out, "This is not your house."

Great.

And the lanky doctor can only watch the daughter of his leaving the dining table in a huff. Palming his face with his both hands, Kyuhyun closes his eyes momentarily, taking deep breath before opening them again. Cleaning the table, Kyuhyun stores all the dishes on the fridge by packing them nicely and decides to cook his own recipe of ramen for them. He doesn't want Ryeohyun to be starving.

Serving the ramen onto the bowl of two, Kyuhyun brings them to the living room and places them on the coffee table. He looks keenly on the little girl, who is fiddling with her phone restlessly.

Approaching the little girl, he speaks softly, "Why don't you call him?"

Tilting her head side by side, she moves her head so that she can face Kyuhyun's. "...I can't."

"Why not?" The eyebrow rises slightly.

She doesn't give her father an answer. Perhaps, she is afraid - of what, she is not sure. And Kyuhyun knows not to push her, drawing her closer. Humming softly, he Ryeohyun's backside.

"Let's eat first, hmm? I'm sure Ryeowook is going to be fine. It won't do you any good if you skip your dinner, right?"

Though it takes almost half an hour to coax the little girl, the lanky doctor can't help to feel a little envious, for he is quite sure that the worrisome of Ryeohyun towards Ryeowook is not going to be the same like right now, if the missing person is him instead. He never with them from the start, how come he expects he deserves the same treatment?

After Kyuhyun brings the bowls back to the kitchen, he sighs again, for the umpteenth time that night. He then asks for the bathroom when he belatedly aware that he doesn't shower yet, except the time he fetches Ryeohyun from the school, that is.

Afraid leaving his daughter alone in the living room, he voices out his concern.

"We wait for Ryeowook upstairs, alright? At least, until I finish shower. I'm sorry if I keep demanding you to follow my rules, but this is for the best." Boring his eyes into Ryeohyun's, he continues. "I know this is not my house, but can't you adjust yourself with me, just for a little while. Please?"

Ryeohyun nods, with guilty sprouting her veins. Just before Kyuhyun disappears into the bathroom, he catches some words that are too soft to hear.

"I'm sorry."

Turning his head, he sees his daughter drops her head down, staring at the bamboo flooring.

"I didn't mean what I said earlier. I'm sorry."

Walking towards the small girl, the young father crouches. "It's okay, sweetheart. I'm sorry, too." Leaning away slightly, he watches the tear-stricken face of her.

"Hey, stop crying. I'm not hurt. Don't blame yourself." Wrapping the girl close to him, he speaks, "We wait for Ryeowook together, okay? But let me shower first. I'll be out in five minutes. Do not cry on yourself, alright?"

Soon, after Kyuhyun out from the bathroom, his phone vibrates, telling him that he has a message.

Kyuhyun too engrossed to get ready while at the same time unlocking his smart phone doesn't hear the faint creaking of the front door, only the permanent resident of the house realizes this. So Ryeohyun gleefully slips away from the room to the staircase, only to find out the static Ryeowook is in tears. Calmly, she strides towards her father. But the more tears staining the young designer's cheek drench her heart instantly that she can't help to shed tears, too. She cries along with Ryeowook, until the presence of Kyuhyun calms her down, that she leaves Ryeowook to the hand of the lanky doctor.

 

From: Siwon-hyung

To: Kyuhyun

Ryeowook went to the cemetery today, with Shindong-hyung.

 

 

 

p/s: I know this chapter feels like a crap, but just bear with it alright. I'm starting to lose myself, too. Anyway, sorry for the inconvenience throughout all of this.