Welcome Back

Be Extant, Stay Around

 

       Parking the car on the lot, Kyuhyun maneuvers the gear shift to P mode before engaging the handbrake. He lowers the driver seat while relaxing his head on the back of the seat - watching the tiny silver stars. But the thoughts that keep reeled back on the certain male without fail carving the handsome feature a smile. Though he frowns at the end when his daughter's face comes across his mind - they were being too emotional the last time they met. Hopefully, she doesn't remember his ugly crying face too well.  

       Shortly after, Kyuhyun positions the seat back to the original as the stars or rather the thinking process succeed in lulling him to sleep. He then takes the key out from the ignition. The night breeze hits him in the face lightly as he steps out. Briskly walking to the elevator, he bows to the vigilant guard on the shift with a smile.


       After taking a warm bath, he plops down onto the mattress and instantly, he is in a deep slumber.

       A faint sound stirs Kyuhyun from sleep. It takes a moment before he registers the sound coming from his cellphone. He nearly drops his wallet on the floor before clutching the electronic device.

       "Hmm," Kyuhyun slurs the word under his breath.

       "Great news for you Kyuhyun! We're going back to Seoul this Friday!"

       "Are you listening Kyu? Hello? Kyuhyun!!" Opening his eyelids heavily, he looks over the alarm clock at the nightstand.

       "It's 3.55 in the morning," Kyuhyun murmurs. Slamming his face on the pillow, he continues, "I need my sleep, hyung."

       Forgetting that South Korea is eight hours ahead from Ireland, the man apologetically says, "Sorry, I was very excited on the news. Don't forget to fetch us at the airport."

       "Hmm, okay." Barely sinking in the information, Kyuhyun let his phone die on its own.




       Kyuhyun takes the rubber glove off from his left hand with his right fingers before he proceeds on the other hand and dumps the disposable glove in the waste container. Heading to the wards, he turns his phone on and realizes he has missed ten calls from the same person.

       He slides the answering button quickly once the said person is calling him. Putting the cellphone inches away from his ear, Kyuhyun waits for the oncoming screams only to meet a dead silence.

       "Kyuhyun." A calm voice is evident on the receiving end.

       "Hyung?" Deceived Kyuhyun regrets that he brings the phone near his ear once he thought there is nothing to endanger his ear.

       "Where'd the hell have you been?!" He perceives the other voice on the phone is pacifying the caller.

       "Sorry. I was in the operation room."

       "Pick us up at the airport right this instant!"

       Panic settles on the dreading Kyuhyun. Running off to his office, he stumbles upon Jonghyun and asks him to cover his works momentarily. Throwing the white coat on the seat, he grabs his jacket.

       Fasten the seat belt; he drives out from the building. Kyuhyun promptly forces his brain to remember the last conversation with his hyung. Confirming the location with the less angry male, he speeds up to the said airport. Fortunately, the doctor saves another ten minutes finding them when he's spotting there are two guys waiting around the spacious entrance gate of the airport.

       Approaching the sulky male, he smiles apologetically, "Sorry, hyung. I totally forget about this."

       The latter didn't reply instead it is the broad-shaped male standing beside them who is hugging Kyuhyun, "It's okay, Kyuhyun. Just ignore him."

       Putting the luggage at the back of the car, Kyuhyun tentatively inquires, "Where are you going to stay?"

       "Do we look like we have a place to stay?"

       Infuriated by the absurd response, Kyuhyun masks his annoyance and makes contact with the other male, "I'll wait in the car." His voice thinned. 

       As the composed one out of the two newcomers sits on the passenger seat, he turns to Kyuhyun. "We would like to stay at your apartment, if you don't mind. I think Leeteuk-hyung has already told you that and I guess you're really tired to remember it. It's okay, I supposed."

       Kangin doesn't know to whom the last part is intended to, though. It works both ways - the male on the back seat and the lanky male behind the wheel. And the whole drive to Kyuhyun's apartment is annoyingly nerve-wracking. Even the radio isn't an effective tool for the grown men.



       Remains ignorant for the whole time, Leeteuk follows the pair in front of him into the elevator. Although he feels bad snapping at the younger male, he doesn't trust himself to utter any 'sorry' word - not when he is in a defense mode.

       "Treat my apartment like your own house, hyung. I have enough ingredients for your lunch." Inspecting the fridge, Kyuhyun adds, "I buy us dinner but my shift end at 8. You can wait, right?" Checking his watch on the left wrist, Kyuhyun says, "I have to go back to the hospital. See you later, hyung."

       Walking to the front door, Kyuhyun announces excitedly, "Welcome back, hyung!"

       Kangin walks over towards the man on the couch - handing a glass of water. "You can take a nap. I'm capable to fix our lunch."

       Lying down on the couch, Leeteuk briefly closes his eyes only to shots open the lids. He paces to the kitchen counter and watches silently the other male prepares their meals.

       "I'm sorry for troubling you."

       Surprised by the voice, Kangin turns himself - facing the latter, he points out, "You should say that to Kyuhyun."

       "I know."





       Washing the dishes, Leeteuk hears footsteps coming towards the kitchen. He turns around and finds the tired Kyuhyun brings them dinner. The elder just watches the younger male placing the meals on the table - not knowing what to say, or do.

       "You can set the table now, hyung." And Kyuhyun freezes on the spot when meeting the latter eyes. He quickly releases the plastics and averts his eyes before walking away from the kitchen. "I'm going to take a bath," He mutters under his breath. 

       Kyuhyun meets Kangin halfway to the master bedroom, "I put the dinner on the table. I help you out once I change my clothes." Smiles lightly, Kyuhyun hastily shuts the door and walks straight to the shower.

       Kangin isn't sure why the young doctor looks like a ghost is chasing his tail, but then the appearance of the elder male at the kitchen doorstep is all the answers he needed.

       And they eat in silence - an awfully odd silence. Only the occasional questions by Kangin or the short comments by Kyuhyun fill the atmosphere. If this is a horror movie, people would be dreading for the ghost to come out. Except, it isn't.

       "I'm sorry, Kyuhyun. I'm sorry for troubling you." Leeteuk briefly faces the lanky male, "I'm sorry for snapping at you and I'm sorry for not reminding you the details when I know you won't remember those early-hour conversation."

       Kyuhyun lifts his face up, meeting the soft gaze. "It's okay. I'm sorry, too. This is both our fault." Sporting a small smile, he adds in. "Thanks for reminding me how short-term memory I am."

       Laughing on the remarks, the house settles into the normal and bright atmosphere.

       "Why your magazines are all in June edition?"

       Struggling to answer, Kyuhyun racks his brain, "I arrived in late May and it is now in early July. Besides, my current shift didn't give me chances to buy any."

       Leeteuk muses over the fact, "But I do recall June has thirty days."

       Coughing a light fit, Kyuhyun walks away from the table to the sink. Clinging on the edge of the sink, Kyuhyun lowers himself to the kitchen floor.

       Kangin hurries to his side, "Are you okay?"

       The eldest male brings all the dishes into the kitchen and hands Kyuhyun a glass of water which the crouching male accepts gladly.

       Kangin offers his hand for Kyuhyun to get up, only to be nudged lightly by Leeteuk's hand, "He should be fine." Smiling towards the figure on the floor, Leeteuk offers his hand, "Right, Kyuhyun?"

       Shooting a glare towards the elder, Kyuhyun shoves the hand and rises to his own feet. He leaves the kitchen in rush and rests on the couch.

 

       "Say," Leeteuk leans his face close to Kyuhyun. With a stoic expression on his face, Kyuhyun lets the elder inches into his personal space. The nose brushes against each other at this point and Kyuhyun chooses to shut his eyes.

       Amused Leeteuk studies the young male before he slowly backs away, "You are no fun!"

       "He's not going to change any time later." Kyuhyun slowly opens his eyes once he feels the elder has shifted to the end of the couch.

       Rummaging through the white M-shaped magazine holder between the couch and the television, Leeteuk takes off the one in the middle.

       "Want to tell me what this magazine is all about?"

       Kangin then notices that there are certain magazines in the aesthetic holder while the rest lying under the coffee table. Surprisingly, it is well-organized.

       "Nothing's special." Kyuhyun watches the male near the coffee table - Kangin - peeks upon the magazine briefly and notes that the issues all evolve around the fashion scene though there is one or two about the entertainment business.

       Kangin picks the uppermost magazine - the entertainment one just because he sees familiar name on the cover.

       "This Changmin is your friend, right?"

       Kyuhyun nods in approval and Kangin asks again, "I thought you'd known him from your StarCraft game? Why I didn't know he is a singer, a famous one?"

       Rolling his eyes, he claims. "Why would I tell you? Besides, I'm not really interested to tell anyone that I befriend with a famous people."

       "He's getting married... to Victoria-shi. Who's Victoria?" Leeteuk arches his brows while looking at Kyuhyun.

       "How should I know? Though, he asks me to be his best man," Kyuhyun simply replies while grabbing the remote on the table - turning on the screen in front of them. Though he is stressed out at the never-ending questions, he is actually preparing himself for the worst to come.

       "I found the reason why you stop buying the magazine." Kyuhyun feigns indifference although he feels his wall will crumble at any time now.

       "It is the last magazine that he buys." Kangin states plainly as he remembers the date of the issue is 28th June and he finds there is no other issues from any magazine after that.

       He seizes the magazine on the elder's hand when something makes sense now.






       A barging Yesung alarms everyone in the living room. "Sorry, I didn't realize you have guests." The lawyer sheepishly smiles.

       Kangin spots the raven-black haired man wearing a white long sleeve shirt with a grey vest that tightly hugged the said frame in place, standing at the entrance awkwardly. 

       Kyuhyun gestures for his cousin to come in, all the same time, he takes the magazine away from Kangin's. "This is my cousin, Jongwoon hyung." Kyuhyun introduces the pair, "This is Leeteuk and the one who is on the floor is Kangin. They're both my senior doctors."

       "People around me like to call me Yesung. And I guess I like that name, too?" Laughing lightly, he walks closer to the trio after shutting the front door. "Nice meeting both of you." Yesung then bows before grabbing a glass of juice from the fridge.

       Flanking himself on the couch between his cousin and Leeteuk, Yesung invites, his one hand is around the younger cousin's shoulder. "We plan to celebrate Henry's album tomorrow night. You're free right? You can bring them along." Yesung points out those male with his other free hand.

       "Who are we?" Kangin pipes in; looking back and forth between the expressionless male and the new guy.

       "Hmm, our group of friends - there are Heechul, Hankyung, Shindong, Zhoumi, Sungmin - "

       "Are you done? I'll consider the invitation." Kyuhyun cuts the babbling short. For once, he lets the irritated face shows on his features.

       "Geez, Kyu. Let me finish the juice first okay." Retracting the hand from the younger's, the lawyer reaches for the glass on the coffee table.

       As soon Yesung finishes the last drop of the juice, Kyuhyun impatiently waits at the front door - watching intently as Yesung exchanging the address of the meeting.

 

 

 

 

p/s: Sorry for the hideous image and the fact that it looks like a wedding card invitation. haha~ I've tried my best, people. Anyway, enjoys reading. ^^