Chapter 4

That Winter Snowflake
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Once again, I was welcomed by the faint smell of antiseptic. The room was warmer compared to the weather outside. The bright red clock that hanged on the wall above the bed covered with white sheets, turned ten-thirty. I entered the white room with Minho following behind me. The bed was undone, with creases all over the white sheets and blanket. I pushed the metal rod back to its place—but still near me—and decided to arrange the bed. 

“I don’t think I’ve introduced myself to you.”  I said as I was arranging the bed while Minho was just standing there, watching me.

He shrugged and placed his hands on his pockets. “Guess not.” 

“I’m Jung Min Hee.” Instead of using my right hand, I extended my left hand and waited for him to shake it but he just looked at it like it grew another finger or something.

“Well, I think I’ve already introduced myself to you.” He said, still not taking my hand. I grew tired and put my hand down, seeing that there is no chance for him to shake it.

I cleared my throat before mimicking his voice when he introduced himself and was about to shake my own hand but I remembered that my other hand was casted so, I just shook the air, pretending that there’s a hand and smiled, staring at the wall behind him and said, “I’m Choi Minho.”  

“Weirdo.” He said, not caring whether I hear it or not.

I scowled at him, dropping the pillow on the bed. “Excuse me?” 

“You’re excused.” He grinned, showing his perfect white teeth.

“Asshat.” I copied the way the Clary, the main character, cussed in the book The Mortal Instruments. I promised to myself that I won’t cuss again the moment I opened my eyes yesterday because the last time I cussed, I was almost killed by a speeding car.

“You read Mortal Instruments?” He asked, trying to cover his astounded expression with a poker face.

“Of course. What do you think of me? Living under a rock?”

“So, you like reading books?”

“Of course...” I said, trying to observe his reaction if he thought that I’m actually a book worm which I’m not.

“But... that’ll only happen when I die and go to someplace I don’t know. Then, maybe, I might start loving books as much as you love them. I only read books that have film adaptations or else, I won’t be able to understand it. Weird, right?” He fished out his phone from his coat pocket and unlocked the code to his phone.

“Observing your reaction, I conclude that you, my friend who always gets annoyed at me for no specific reason, are a book worm? Am I right” Minho ignored my question and continued on pretending like he’s busy texting someone on his phone. Aigoo. As if he can fool me with that. I always do that when I don’t want to talk to someone. “I’ll take that as a yes.”

“You know, you can leave now, if you want your conscience to eat you up alive and make you regret it someday and wonder ‘Sigh. Why didn’t I stayed at Min Hee’s side when she needed me the most?’ whilst eating an expired sandwich wearing ragged clothes with beard all over your face, sitting all by yourself on a subway station, with no one to talk to.” I imagined him that way ten years from now.

“I don’

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter