Chapter 19

That Winter Snowflake
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“It was better to know the worst than to wonder.”      

-Gone with the Wind

We arrived at a building, probably where Minho’s dad works. It was a typical work place, nothing special just like what I see in movies. It is already around five in the afternoon and I saw the sun starting set through the window that you can almost consider a glass wall inside the of our dad’s office as much as I hate to say it. The air was filled with tension and finally, the truth was spoken. He told us everything. How his first wife died because of giving birth to Minho. How they met, mom and him. How they ran away, with an infant Minho. How they had me and how my mother died also because of giving birth to me. It felt like a ton of weight was suddenly dropped on my shoulders.

Minho’s dad looked at us grimly and said, “She’s your sister.” I in my breath.Sister? His sister? This can’t be happening. Minho’s dad left after that, leaving us in the room to talk.

Minho was caught off-guard, “What? Are you kidding me? Min Hee...I think I would understand you better if you just told me the truth that you don’t like me. You don’t need to involve dad into this.” His eyes were pleading for me to tell him something else, “But, it is the truth.” I never thought that I would be saying those words myself, when I still don’t believe that we are siblings. I can’t even call my real dad, dad. I still call him Minho’s father or Mr. Choi in my mind. I clenched my fist and forced a smile.

“Aish. You know, if this was a movie...you would probably be saying something like it doesn’t matter whether you’re my sister or what.” I said, trying to lighten the atmosphere but quickly added, “I...I just found out today about...us being... About last night, I didn’t mean to keep it from you but well...you never gave the chance to say it.”

He frowned, “Damn it, Min Hee. This...is reality, Min Hee. Stop mixing reality with those movies you watched, their all just fiction, fake.”

“Reality,” I scoffed. “Reality is too cruel for me to live in without watching those are my only escape from that reality you’re talking about. It is the only way for me to survive it as weird as it seems but you were never there, Jonghyun and Key oppa were never there, my father, of course, was never there...all I had was a television and some movies in front of me. It gave me hope that one day, my life is going to turn out like theirs—happy ending. Why are you acting like you don’t even care?” I can’t believe this. One moment he was acting so in love and the next thing I knew, he was raging with anger. Did his feelings change that fast?

“I never cared except when I realized that I liked you and before I discovered about the truth. Did you have fun?” He asked with an amused voice but his eyes were blazing with anger.

“No...I never intended to lie but I just thought that this may be the last time we would see each other as...as not siblings. I had a feeling but I kept on denying it, I’m sorry.”

“I think your right. In fact, this may be the last time you’ll ever see me.” He looked away from me, clenching his fists.

“What do you mean?

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter