Chapter 15

That Winter Snowflake
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Ding Dong Ding Dong

“What the—” I in my breath, waking up from the dream I just had because of the continues sound of the doorbell reverberating throughout the entire mansion.

Ding Dong Ding Dong

“Why aren’t they answering the freaking door?” I thought aloud, still not wanting to open my eyes. Oh right. It’s Sunday, it’s their day off including George. Aish. So troublesome. Who might that be? It’s impossible for it to be Minho or Taemin or Onew. Oh. It might be the mail man. I thought. With a groan and a thud, falling from my bed, I stood up, not bothering to wash my face or look at the mirror before going the down the stairs to answer the door. I walked down the stairs barefooted with my eyes still half closed. Finally reaching the door, I stifled a yawn before turning the knob. The light from the outside spilled from the now open door inside the mansion. I can still feel myself dozing off but I fought it. I swung the front door wide, squinting my eyes to the sudden light bursting out from the outside.

“Who is it?” I asked crankily, my voice a bit hoarse.

“You really are ugly.” I was frowned by the sudden rudeness coming out of the mail man’s mouth. Did I hear it right or am I starting to get deaf? I looked up from the man standing in front of me, still half asleep. I blinked twice, not believing my eyes. The mail man, huh. There is no mail man on Sundays and most of all; I’m not expecting any mail from anyone. Involuntarily, I looked down on what I was wearing. Holy Shih tzu. I was wearing my jammies: Loose shirt and shorts. I slowly touched my hair. Oh my god. Messy bed hair which surely is very similar to a witch’s hair. I’m sure that if I speak now, he’ll smell my breath which I suspect to be bad. Fortunately, I don’t drool when I’m asleep. Or do I? I touched the corner of my lips and to my relief; it doesn’t have dried saliva on it. How can I distract him? Think. Think. Ting! As if a light bulb lit on top of my head. I covered my mouth and shouted, “Look!” pointing at the distance, looking past him. It was Minho, looking better than yesterday. As usual, his gullible self resurfaced once again and followed the direction of where I was looking at.

“Huh? What?” Before he noticed, I shut the door in front of him instantly. “Yah! Open the door!” I heard his fists banging the door but all I said was, “Five minutes!” Dashing up the stairs and into the bathroom to take a quick shower and brush my teeth. I picked in the first clothes I saw in my drawer which happened to be another pair of jammies and wore it.

“What are you doing here?” I peered behind him to see the guards standing still behind the front gates. Aish. Why did they even let this guy inside without my permission? Another voice in my head said, well you were asleep, stupid, pointing out the obvious. Minho was staring distantly at something beside the mansion. Mhm. He probably noticed the green house.

“Picking you up. Dad wants to see you. News surely travels fast.” He said, still not facing me. I only noticed this now but then again, I was still half asleep a moment ago. He was wearing all black just like me but it’s not the first time that I saw him wearing all black. Do you love black? I wanted to ask but decided not to, considering his ‘not in the mood to talk much’ kind of feeling he gave off. I blinked. I in breath after processing what he just said in my mind again and again. It’s as if my heart stopped from beating, I also felt like I was punched in the stomach. I felt a bit nauseous maybe because of my sudden panicky feeling. My hands started to tremor and feel clammy when he mentioned dad. I don’t really have a nice experience with ‘dads’. I can almost picture myself from draining the entire colour on my face right now.

“You? Dad? Your dad? Meet? Me? Your dad wants to meet me? I’m not ready! Oh my god. This isn’t fair! You should’ve told me yesterday, stupid!” I bit my lip hard, my mouth tasted like copper. No one told me about meeting his dad but then again, he did say that it’s better for me to be left in the dark. Something about it makes me feel nervous. What if I get shouted at just like in the dramas? What if he gets kicked out and he has to stay here for who knows how long? That wouldn’t be that bad but if father finds out; I’ll surely be slaughtered to death. A tiny voice in my head said, maybe it’s not that bad to meet his dad. Not all dads are bad, you know. I started to push all the scary and negative thoughts from my head and started to think positive. My hands stopped from shaking, I stopped biting my lip which now bled slightly and I can almost feel the colour coming back from my face. Good thing he wasn’t facing me when I was still pale as a sheet of paper from the shock.

“Tsk. Even if I knew, I wouldn’t have told you.” He mumbled. Of course I heard it but my mouth suddenly spurted, “What did you say?” As if I hadn’t heard him right.

“I said, hurry up and get dressed more,” he paused as if finding the right words in his head, “appropriately.” He eyed my clothes as if in disgust, shaking his head in disapproval.

“Isn’t this appropriate?” I said, not bothering to look at my clothes. How bad can it be? Surely not that bad, right?

“Do you want my dad to see you wearing pyjamas?” Right. I almost forgot about that.

“Oh. Be right back.” I was about to shut the door close once again when I noticed his foot preventing the door from closing and he said, “Aren’t you going to let me in?” The coldness of his voice decreasing a tad, he asked.

“I only let my friends inside the house. As far as I remembered, you’re not one of them. We’re just partners in crime or business partners or whatever you call it. This is just work, or so I call it. Five minutes.” I said, now fully closing the door behind me. I realized that the whole mansion felt lonelier when it is left empty and dark with only a few lamps switched on. My thudding footsteps echoing loudly as I was hurriedly making my way toward my room once again. Now more carefully, I chose my clothes and slid t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter