Chapter 2

That Winter Snowflake
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Hey...Wait! Stop!” Ignoring his useless rants, I continued walking while staring at the half melted snowflake. I heard a speeding car dash its way toward me. I was frozen to my spot and can’t seem to make a move. Before I knew it, my whole body was thrown like a rag doll across the street. While I was floating in the air, a lot of thoughts came into my mind. Originally, I thought, the people in movies that don’t move before they crash into a car are all overreacting fools but, I never thought that I’ll be facing the same situation they had right now.   Everything went mute and seemed to slow down as I land on the cold icy pavement. I can’t speak. I can’t move. I struggled to move my arm, severe pain coursed through me, making my body cringe in pain. Slowly, I opened my eyes, forcing myself to come to my senses but failed. I can feel thick blood trickling down my face.

I can barely see through both eyes but I think he’s calling 9-1-1. Is he panicking? “Miss!” I heard shuffled noises through my right ear as he tapped busily on his phone.

“Crap.” He cursed. I felt him move closer to me, getting a closer view on my bruises and bleeding head.   

“Hey...stranger. You were supposed to... push me across the road and save me...you know.” Struggling with my words, my lips formed into a tight smile and I forced a soft chuckle, causing pain to my ribs, like it’s been fractured. A moan came out of my mouth and then, everything went dark.

I got a whiff of antiseptic as I gain consciousness from my deep slumber. White ceiling was the first thing that came into my view, the moment I opened my eyes. White walls, white sheets, white floor, all white. Only the continuous bleeping sound of the monitor beside me and the heater can be heard from the whole room. It seems like I’m in a private room, seeing that there is a television set which hung on the wall. I slowly moved my arm but I was surprised to see that it had an arm cast. My left arm was full of bruises and I bet that my face is all ruined because of the accident. Just like in some movies, I checked my legs to see if I can still move them and thankfully, I still can. Suddenly, the door slid open and revealed a familiar man. With just one look, I can tell that he’s wearing designer clothes from head to toe.

“Oppa.” My voice rasped like sand paper. Dark half moons can be seen under his eyes and his silver blond hair that almost looked white was tousled like he just woke up. He always reminded me of a Dooly the Dinosaur whenever I see him. I wonder... where did he run away five years ago? Maybe he went to Kantappia Planet?  I wanted to laugh but decided not to because of my ribs. I looked past him, too see if my other step-brother came to visit me but I saw another man instead. I focused my attention to my brother who is now standing right beside me, holding my hand gently.

“Min Hee, you’re finally awake.” He answered back, his voice tired. The stranger entered the room with confidence, like he was a relative or something, without any hint of I don’t know... respect maybe? The aura he gave off was as if he was born with a silver spoon in his mouth but, his appearance says otherwise—wearing a simple black shirt with black jacket over it, tight jeans, sneakers, and a dark blue scarf around his neck. A man whom I guess loves to wear dark colours—a man with familiar black olive eyes—stood behind my brother. I looked at him questioningly and he just greeted me with a simple nod. My brother hurriedly walked beside me and stared at me with eyes filled with care.

“Are you okay? Does it hurt somewhere? What happened? Why did you bump the car? Why didn’t you avoid it? Who did you crash? Do I need to pay for the damages you made?” He worriedly asked, without pausing, which irked me. Aish. He’s overprotective side has resurfaced once again. I don’t like people making a fuss over something and caring for me like I’m someone very important, especially him.

“Stop.” The strange man forgotten, I said, regaining all the energy I’ve lost from the accident.

“What are you? My mom? First, I did NOT crash the car nor did I bump into it and I am the one damaged, not the car. How the heck will

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter