Promise

Song For You

 

PROMISE

The three of them boarded their train and waited, hard as it was. The other passengers were also talking about the quake, but it was a more common occurrence for them. Japan had many, much more than Korea, and their worst had yielded thousands more deaths and injuries than this. That's why they have to be okay...

 

“Still nothing?” Changmin asked, watching Jaejoong hit the speed dial for what felt like the millionth time.

 

“No signal,” Jaejoong whispered. “They did remember to charge their phones last night, didn't they?”

 

Yoochun bit his lips. “Yunho hyung didn't. He called home last night and fell asleep in the middle, but Auntie Minjung hung up right away, and his phone went into sleep mode. Maybe it did run out of batteries.”

 

“Still, we can't be sure. I'll keep trying. Yongsoo hyung still hasn't contacted us about getting in touch with Junsu ah.”

 

“He just texted me,” Changmin said. “He called the police to ask about them, but they're swamped right now. The hospitals will be calling family for patients when their condition is stable.”

 

“So maybe they've called Junsu or Yunho's parents, or Auntie Minjung?”

 

“Maybe. But I don't want to call them and ask if they haven't heard yet. We don't know where Yunho hyung or Junsu hyung are right now. We'd have nothing to tell them and will only make them worry.”

 

Jaejoong sighed. He didn't want that, either. He felt bad enough on his own, and he didn't want Junsu or Yunho's families to go through the same, not knowing what had happened to their sons. He hit the redial and stared down at Yoochun's phone, which was displaying CCTV images from the quake. Pedestrians being knocked to their feet, cars colliding, some much harder than others. What if they're hurt after all? What if they're not okay?

 

Moshi moshi?” a female voice said into his ear. Jaejoong almost dropped his phone. He'd been so caught up in his internal fears that he hadn't noticed that the no-service message hadn't played. The answering voice was an unfamiliar one, but he was willing to take anything he could get in the way of a response.

 

“I'm trying to get in touch with Jung Yunho?” he said in Japanese, his heart pounding. “This is his phone?”

 

“Oh, this is someone he is close to, then? We were trying to contact, but the phone systems went down with the quake, and there were additional malfunctions with the cell phone towers. It looks like the signals for the cell phones are finally functioning again. You've reached Jusendo General Hospital, and we currently have Jung Yunho-san in our care following a minor accident during the earthquake in the prefecture.”

 

“Is he all right?”

 

“Jung Yunho-san is currently in stable condition. The taxi he was in was hit, and he is currently being checked for a possible concussion. But otherwise, he simply seems disoriented and without other injuries. I didn't always understand what he was trying to say because he kept speaking Korean, but in Japanese he said over and over that he needed to make a call. Are you family?”

 

“No. His family is not in Japan with him. I'm his... his groupmate. He is a member of the group Tohoshinki, and we're in Japan promoting right now.” His words came out in a jumble, and he wasn't even sure if any of it was relevant to the nurse. “His guardian right now would be our manager. Should we bring him with us? Are we still free to see him?”

 

“According to his ID, he is of age, but still, bringing your guardian wouldn't hurt. And yes, we encourage your visit. The patient is currently disoriented, and it would not be advisable to release him from the hospital without someone to accompany him. However, if he has to stay in the hospital for any reason, be advised that visiting hours end at 8 p.m.” She gave Jaejoong the hospital address, which he frantically scribbled down.

 

“And Kim Junsu,” he said quickly. “He would have been in the car with Yunho-san?”

 

“Kim Junsu-san...” He heard papers rustling. “Yes, he was admitted to the hospital, too. He is receiving stitches for an open gash on the head, and is also being assessed for a potential concussion. He is a conscious, but also disoriented, and he's thus far been unable to communicate with doctors in Japanese. We were also unable to contact anyone for him because his cell phone broke in the crash and we have no numbers available for him without it.” She paused. “Also a groupmate?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“I have here that there was a degree of blood loss, but it was staunched by the car's other passenger until medics arrived. Still, that might have also contributed to his disorientation. His condition is otherwise stable, though if he has a concussion, he will need rest. They both will.”

 

“We'll try to get there as soon as possible,” Jaejoong said. His body was shaking with a mixture of concern and relief. “And Yunho... tell him that Kim Jaejoong is coming to see him. Please.”

 

“I will be sure to. Anything that will put our patients' minds at ease...”

 

Jaejoong hung up and turned to Yoochun and Changmin. “They're okay. They're okay. Injured but overall okay. Thank god...”

 

Tears collected in Yoochun's eyes, and Changmin's face collapsed in relief. Before they knew it, they were all holding onto each other, and Jaejoong had broken down, all the emotions he'd repressed flooding back to him. Jung Yunho, when I see you, I'm going to hold you so tight that if you're not hurt now, you will be.

 

“I'll call Yongsoo hyung right away,” Changmin said, breaking apart and grabbing his phone. As soon as Yongsoo picked up, he filled him in on the situation, letting Jaejoong feed him information through his tears on what had happened and how both Junsu and Yunho were.

 

“We're still going to Tokyo to meet up with him,” Changmin said, “since we're not far at this point, anyways. We'll go on to Fukushima from there by car to avoid the train situation. Traffic will probably still be bad, anyways, so it will be pretty late by time we get there. Visiting hours will definitely be over, but if they wind up discharged from the hospital, we'll be able to see them. If not... we might have to wait until morning, unless they stay in the emergency center.”

 

Jaejoong wished he could make the train move faster to Tokyo, but they still had to wait a long half-hour after the call before they at last made it to the station. Yongsoo and some of their personnel were waiting with the van outside to head to Fukushima.

 

“I've called Yunho and Junsu's parents to update them on the situation so far,” Yongsoo said. “From what you said, minor concussions sound like the only other risk, other than Junsu ah needing stitches. With a little bed rest, they should be fine.”

 

“You're not going to make them do any of our upcoming promotions, are you?” Jaejoong asked quickly. “The three of us can take care of it until they're better.”

 

“I'll be open to whatever Yunho, Junsu, and their doctors have the say on the subject. If either of them have a concussion, no, I won't ask them to go.”

 

The traffic picked up as they neared Fukushima, and Jaejoong started feeling anxious until his phone started buzzing and Yunho's name appeared on the screen. He picked it up quickly. “Yunho?”

 

“Jaejoong ah?”

 

“It's you,” Jaejoong said, his voice breaking. “You're all right.”

 

“Yeah. The nurse said you called and were coming. You heard about the earthquake, then.”

 

“Yongsoo hyung saw it on the news and called us. Yun ah, your injuries aren't bad, are they?”

 

“The doctors say I probably have a minor concussion, but I'm okay, just shaken up a little, and I'm with Junsu now. He's getting a CT scan, just to be safe.” He paused. “I'm sure I must have made you all worry on your break day. I'm sorry.”

 

“Don't apologize!” Jaejoong yelled. “It's not like you asked for this to happen! Don't worry about us, worry about yourself and Junsu!”

 

“I'm sorry,” Yunho said again, anyways. “Are you guys on your way? I don't think I can be calm again until I see your face. It all happened out of nowhere. One second we were driving normally, and then everything was shaking and the car lost control. I didn't even see Junsu hit his head, but he was bleeding so badly...”

 

“We're coming for you,” Jaejoong said, more gently. Yunho so rarely cried or lost control of his emotions that Jaejoong knew he needed to be calm on his behalf. “Please don't think about it anymore. You're both fine. It could have been worse. And I'll be with you soon, okay?”

 

“Okay...” He took a deep breath. “I'm sorry. But seeing Junsu that way and knowing I couldn't stop it... But he's fine, you're right, it's okay...” He sighed again. “I'm so sorry. I don't want to burden you with any of this.”

 

“No, I'm the one you should burden with it. If you can't talk to me, who will you talk to? So say whatever you want. And don't worry about worrying me, ever. All I wanted was you to be okay, and you are. So please just focus on getting better and don't think of anything else.”

 

The other line went silent. “Just get here quickly, Boojae. I need to see you.”

 

“I will.”

 

When he hung up, Yongsoo turned around to look at him at a red light. “You know, it's because you talk like that to each other that people are suspicious. Even I'm starting to wonder about you two.”

 

“He didn't say anything a good member wouldn't say,” Yoochun butted in.

 

“Yes, but the way he says it... anyways, it's fine when it's just us around, but try not to sound that earnest around the fans.”

 

“I don't care how I sound or who knows,” Jaejoong snapped. “He's suffering, and I need to be there right now, so stop worrying about it and drive, all right?”

 

Changmin gave him an impressed smile and Yongsoo increased his speed a little bit, taking them closer to where Yunho was waiting for him, needing him to soothe his anxieties away.

 

0o0

 

Visiting hours were well past by time they made it to the hospital, but since Yunho had been discharged, he was waiting for them in the reception area. He didn't look much worse for wear, but they still approached him carefully, extra attentive as they tried not to jostle him too much when they hugged. Jaejoong was the last to approach him, and he didn't release him from the hug, only dropping one hand around his waist so that they were still holding each other.

 

“Junsu is still going through a final check, but he'll be discharged within the hour,” Yunho said, his voice sounding tired. “He has a concussion, but no other damage besides his cut. He's coherent now, too, and wants you all to know that he'll be fine. He's more concerned about the soccer game, naturally.”

 

“Idiot,” Yoochun said, folding his arms across his chest and glaring down at the floor. “Thinking about something like that at a time like this.”

 

“Looks like we'll have to stay the night in Fukushima, then,” Yongsoo said. “I don't think anyone's up for a drive back to Tokyo tonight.”

 

“But don't we have a schedule tomorrow?” Yunho asked.

 

“It's not until afternoon, so we can make it back. And you're not going on schedule. You or Junsu.”

 

“But I-”

 

“Not a chance. You have a concussion, so you're bed-resting until the doctor says otherwise. Speaking of which, we need to see about getting in touch with your doctors about how long your resting period should be. You three can look after him for a moment, right?” Yoochun, Changmin, and Jaejoong nodded.

 

“I should go on schedule, too,” Yunho said stubbornly. “My body's a little sore, but I feel fine. Besides, I'm the leader and if anyone should show up, I should.”

 

“The fact that you bashed your head doesn't give you the excuse to act like an idiot,” Changmin said sagely. “Or is permanent brain damage your life goal?”

 

“You can't always feel the effects of a concussion immediately,” Jaejoong said. “And you'll only regret it if you wind up aggravating it. Please just let us take care of our official appearances, and take care of yourself so that you'll be ready to promote our new single when it comes out. We won't let you down.”

 

Yunho looked at him, lifting an eyebrow. “Someone sounds ready to step into the temporary leadership role.”

 

“Just until you feel better. I can do that much.”

 

“Having a heartwarming reunion without me?”

 

They all turned around at the sound of Junsu's voice. Unlike Yunho, he didn't look terribly well off. His forehead was swollen, and they could clearly see the place where he'd gotten stitches. All the same he made it over to them with a smile still on his face, as if it had been an uneventful day and a routine trip to the hospital.

 

“You...” Yoochun sighed. He looked like he had a lot of things to say, but instead walked up to him and gently tapped him on the shoulder. “You're banned from soccer for the rest of the year.”

 

“This wasn't soccer's fault,” Junsu said indignantly. “Blame fault-lines or plate tectonics, but Fukushima United had nothing to do with it.” His lip jutted out. “I can't believe I broke my phone. Can I borrow one of yours to find out when they've rescheduled the game?”

 

“I'd say you were another victim of having your head smashed, but since you act like this all the time...” Changmin sighed. Still, he joined Yoochun had Junsu's side and his back. “I know it was an earthquake and you guys couldn't stop anything from happening, but take care of yourselves, all right? If you're shaken up, you don't have to pretend to be happy.”

 

Junsu's smile wavered a little. “I'm glad you three weren't there. I don't think I ever want to be there for an earthquake again.”

 

“Did it hurt a lot?” Yoochun asked. “The stitches?”

 

“I don't really remember. My head was already killing me, and it felt like everything was spinning. I appreciated having the bleeding stop.” He turned to Yunho. “You held it back for so long. Thank you, hyung. But I'll still have to look bad for our promotions. I'm sorry to everyone.”

 

“Don't apologize,” Jaejoong said, shaking his head. “We'll just have your hair grow out to cover it until it's better. Don't worry about something so silly.”

 

“It's better than to worry about everything else that could have happened, right?”

 

Yunho bit his lip and looked down at his feet, and the rest of them sighed. They reached out to grab each others hands, accepting the proof that they were all still together and that the worst had avoided them, even if it had brushed a little too close for them to feel completely safe just yet.

 

 

0o0

 

After Yongsoo finished talking to the doctors, they found a hotel nearby and got last minute rooms, scattered throughout the hotel since they had no reservations. No one said anything when Jaejoong took the room alone with Yunho, not even Yongsoo. Though Yunho was doing his best to hide it from everyone, it was clear he was still shaken from what had happened, and Jaejoong wanted to be with him until his nerves could still.

 

As soon as they were inside, Jaejoog hopped onto the bed and sprawled out, extending his arms to Yunho. “Come lie down with me,” he said softly. Yunho quietly slid into his embrace, resting his head again Jaejoong's chest gently so as not to jostle it. Jaejoong wrapped his arms around him, massaging his flushed skin, not saying anything until he was ready.

 

“I was so worried,” Yunho said finally. “When I couldn't call you, I panicked. It was like everything else went out of my mind other than the fact that you would hear about what happened but wouldn't know I was okay.”

 

“I had to trust. Of course I was afraid. For both of you. But if I believed that something had happened, something terrible... I wouldn't have been able to stay calm. And I had to stay calm.” He Yunho's cheek, which was slightly damp now. “So that if you were hurt, I would be okay for you.”

 

“You spoil me. Maybe Changmin is right. I'm being much too spoiled by you for my own good.”

 

“Does it make you happy?”

 

“It makes me happier than anything.”

 

“Then don't worry about me anymore. I'm happy as long as you're happy and okay.”

 

“I won't worry, then,” he said, reaching up for Jaejoong's hands and squeezing it. “And I won't make you worry either. I promise.”

 

“Mmmm. Just don't let anything bad happen when I'm not around to help you.”

 

“I wouldn't have wanted you to be there. Just seeing Junsu hurt was bad enough. Don't make me wonder what it would have been like if it was you.”

 

“I can survive a little blood.”

 

“I know. I'm the one who can't. Not when it's yours.” He squeezed Jaejoong's hand. “I want to kiss you, Boojae. I want to feel like I'm still here.”

 

“You are.” He loosed his hand and trailed his fingers against Yunho's lips. “I don't want to hurt you.”

 

“Then don't.” He tilted his head upwards, and with a sigh, Jaejoong leaned down to press their lips together. It was a different kind of kiss than any of their others. It was soft, but somehow still so hungry and searching, as if Yunho was digging inside of him, taking all the comfort he needed to be okay again.

 

Jaejoong pulled away. “I love you,” he murmured. “And I'll still be here in the morning. So please rest. If you're still anxious, I'll stay here and hold you as long as it takes.”

 

Yunho looked like he might protest and tell him not to burden himself, but after a moment he simply smiled and closed his eyes, relaxing his body against Jaejoong and finally little by little falling asleep.

 

0o0

 

Yoochun, Changmin, and Jaejoong continued with their schedules as planned, and as soon as fans heard of what happened, there was a rush of flowers and gifts sent to their label for Yunho and Junsu. Even deliveries from Korea started coming in, and though some of the cards were tearful, begging them to come back home right away, others were clearly written to help Yunho and Junsu cheer up. Hurting yourself going to a soccer game, Junsu oppa? Hul... Yunho oppa, what were you thinking making Jaejoong oppa the stand in leader? What did the TV hosts in Japan do to deserve his 4D rambles?

 

Yunho recovered quickly, and though he still looked wary whenever he had to get into the company van, he was able to return to their promotions as soon as his condition was cleared by doctors. Still, Jaejoong couldn't help following closely after him, monitoring his condition even though he knew it was silly. You couldn't simply see the after-effects of a concussion, but still he felt better when Yunho was safely in his sight.

 

Junsu took a little longer, namely because he wanted to make sure his bangs grew long enough to cover his wound before appearing before fans. He could still participate in finalizing the recording of their singles and their overall work on their album, so he spent most of his recovery time either in the studio or trying to get better at Japanese to catch up with the other members.

 

By time Junsu had sufficiently recovered, it was time to release their new single and promote all over again on Music Station. This time, it was much simpler than the first time. Speaking Japanese practically became much easier, and the artists they were promoting beside were more familiar. Everyone seemed to have kind words for them, asking them how they were recovering from the earthquake and how recording their album was progressing. A guitarist from an all-female rock group even came up to him after filming, ing a copy of their single up to him and begging him to sign it.

 

“Keep fighting, Jaejoong-san,” she said after he handed it back to her. “I’m a huge fan of yours, and our entire group is supporting you in Japan, so let’s work well together, all right?”

 

“What is it about you, though?” Yunho grumbled after she’d scampered off. “Why does everyone always pick you to flirt with?”

 

“Because I’m amazing? And what do you mean what is it about me? Shouldn’t you know better than anyone?”

 

“You should properly give off the aura of someone who is taken so they don’t get the wrong ideas.”

 

“If I do that, they’ll assume I am dating someone, and the wrong ideas will be had anyways. Seriously, I’ve come so close to a dating scandal twice with Soorin noona, do you want me to try for a third time?"

 

Yunho pouted. “No. But I love the only-for-me Jaejoongie the best.”

 

“Signing a fan’s CD didn’t make me fall in love with someone else, you know. Besides, haven’t I been looking out for you better than I ever have?”

 

Yunho smiled in spite of himself. Following the accident, Jaejoong hadn’t been able to keep himself away from Yunho’s side whether they were onstage or off it, making sure he wasn’t getting dizzy or suffering from any adverse effects from his concussion. Knowing how much Yunho appreciated being taken care of, he had perhaps gone overboard—fetching him water bottles at the drop of a hat, giving him back massages, home cooking special meals to bring backstage with them on their schedules, and monitoring him carefully whenever he couldn’t be right beside him. Doing so had managed to perk Yunho up from all the difficult things he had gone through during the accident, but Junsu had given him a long lecture about how much fans were picking up on because of him. Already, an official Japanese Yunjae fansite had opened, and the footage from their Japanese events made it to their Korean fanpages as well, with fans pointing out all the special cares he was taking out of concern for Yunho.

 

Jaejoong normally would have listened to him and been more careful, but keeping away from Yunho was completely out of the question now. He’d suffered enough separation when Dami had threatened him, and he regretted that feeling enough to know not to impose it on himself again. Enough Japanese celebrities were expressing an interest in either him or Yunho to divert the gossips who had no interest in Yunjae, so he felt protected enough to let the fans keep on seeing his attentiveness to Yunho. It wasn’t as if Junsu wasn’t receiving his own share of care and concern from Yoochun, which the fans were also duly noting.

 

“Then it’s fine,” Yunho said finally. “Just don’t let all these fans of yours go to your head. I reserve full privileges of loving you best.”

 

“You’re the only one they’d give me up for anyways.” He leaned his head on Yunho's shoulder. “But you better get used to us all having more and more fans. Tohoshinki's going to reach the top. We have to, since so many people are counting on us. And I know you were worried about something bad happening, but I think we've got all our bad luck out of the way. Let's not make it all for nothing.”

 

“You don't have to tell me twice. I didn't learn a whole new language, leave home, get lost a few dozen times in Tokyo, and get stuck in the middle of earthquake just to fail at what I set out to accomplish.” He clenched his fist. “When you put it that way, I'll be okay with as many fangirls as you want. Just, you know, you still have to love me best.”

 

“And that won't be a problem.” He took Yunho's hands in his and the length of his fingers. “Ever.”

 

 

 

 

Hopeful days and uneasy days, I'll be by your side to protect you
I'll always hold on to the precious promise
I will never let go of you, I only see you
Always in my arms, you belong to me
Sunny days and rainy days, I'll be by your side to protect you
The two of us exchange promises, they'll come true one day