Love is hard

Please Don't Go

“What were you guys thinking of doing today?” Yixing asked as he scooped some blueberries into his mouth. Since both Suho and Kris weren’t around, Yixing took it upon himself to care for the pack as a ‘pseudo beta’ as Suho liked to affectionately call him.

“I need to practice more with my bow staff,” Tao frowned, “I haven’t been practicing lately.”

“I want to go outside,” Kai announced, turning to Kyungsoo, “Soo, Can we go outside?”

Kyungsoo chuckled at Kai’s static expression, “Sure, I have to clean the weeds outside anyway.” He replied, handing Chen a bowl of oatmeal. “You’re sick idiot,” he hissed at Chen’s disgusted expression.

“Well I’m going to spend the day puking,” Chen groaned, laying his head on the table, refusing to look at the plate of disgusting glop.

“Aww, is our ChenChen still sick,” Luhan cooed, ruffling his hair.

“ off Hyung or ill puke on your bed.”

Luhan immediately retracted his hand, “rude,” he muttered. “Anyway, I’m thinking of cleaning the house, I have a strange urge to clean.”

Kyungsoo looked at the elder strangely. “You want to clean? Like… again?”

The elder shrugged, “I guess yesterday must have put me in the cleaning mood.”  The others looked at the omega strangely, but didn’t question his weird logic.

“I should get you to clean more often,” Kyungsoo scoffed. Luhan stuck his tongue out at Kyungsoo childishly.

Rolling his eyes, Yixing turned to Sehun who was the only one who hadn’t said anything yet. “What about you Sehun?”

Sehun was staring at Luhan, even though he knew Yixing asked him a question he didn’t move his eyes away from the omega. “I think I’ll help Lu-“

“Oh look at the time!!” Luhan cried jumping up, “I should get started on my room first! Busy busy busy!” He rushed out of the room and up the stairs, disappearing without giving anyone a chance to stop him.

The table kept silent. Although they were hopeful at first, it seemed as though Luhan was back in his cycle. Luhan was ignoring Sehun… again.

The said boy was looking at the doorway, expressionless. After a few moments of silence he sighed and turned to Tao. “let me practice with you.”

The male nodded. “… aha…Of course,” he said happily, trying to ease the awkward atmosphere. It didn’t completely work but the rest of them still fell back into their usual routine.

However, one male at the table kept silent. Eyes on the doorway, then to a certain male who also periodically glanced the same way. The male figured that this must be a regular thing, everyone was acting normal again; as if they were used to this. But not for long.

 

“Hey Soo.” Jongin said as he sat on a boulder by the garden. Kyungsoo was inside the said garden, weeding and tending to the plants as Kai watched.

The omega stood up and put his hands to his hips, “You should really call me Hyung.”

“Why?”

“Because I’m older.”

Jongin rolled his eyes, “Just by a year.”

“I’m still older.”

“You don’t call Luhan Hyung.”

“That’s because it’s Luhan.”

“And you’re Kyungsoo.”

Kyungsoo glared at the younger before sighing, “Whatever.”

Jongin smirked happily, knowing he’d won. “So,” he continued, “Does Luhan always act like that towards Sehun? I mean yesterday they were talking and seemed so close. But today it’s like Luhan pretended that yesterday never happened."

Kyungsoo nodded, understanding Jongin’s confusion. “It… happens.” He stated. “it’s like a cycle really. Start off with no contact at all, then little acknowledgments of existence, then a few words, some questions, a conversation, then suddenly they’re like full on best friends… but the next day its always back to square one…”

Jongin frowned, Luhan’s behaviors puzzled him to no end. “How does Sehun take it?” It must obviously hurt. Have the person you love, smile and talk to you one day, only to pretend that you don’t exist the next.

Kyungsoo only shrugged, “Love is a weird thing.” They fell back into silence as Kyungsoo continued to work.

“Hey Soo?” Kai called again.

“yea?” the omega grunted, tugging on a weed.

“Have you ever been in love?” Now that was a questions Kyungsoo had not been expecting to ever hear.

“No,” he replied slowly, “I never had the chance.” Jongin wanted to ask what he meant, but chose not to. It wasn’t his place.

“Well you have the chance now.”

Kyungsoo smiled softly and shrugged. “Those guys are like my brothers… and anyways… I’m scared.”

“Scared?” Jongin found himself repeating, why would he be scared?

“Ah!” Kyungsoo looked up, realizing what he had just said. “Don’t worry about it, it’s an omega thing.”

He knew Kyungsoo was trying to avoid any questions, and although it frustrated him, he respected his privacy. “I never had the chance either,” he told Kyungsoo instead.

This made the elder look at his strangely. “But you’re a lone wolf, free to roam anywhere you please.”

Jongin scoffed, “Exactly, I’m a lone wolf. Frightening any whom I come across. If I don’t scare them, than I am a threat. Not exactly an ideal situation to find love.”

Kyungsoo frowned, did people really find Jongin to be a threat? Yes, he may be a lone wolf- the worst and most dangerous title a wolf can possess- but Jongin was nothing like he imagined a lone wolf to be like.

“I always wondered about love though.” Jongin said. “What kind of person fills your thoughts and heart to no end? How can another person cause you to suffer and make you willing to keep enduring the heartache? … How can there be one person who you can trust everything too –secrets, insecurities, worries. I … don’t understand. “

Kyungsoo listened to the alphas questions. Understanding what he meant. He used to ask the same questions a long time ago. But watching Suho and Yixing, as well as Kris and Tao, Kyungsoo found a beauty in the warm gazes that said so much, and the intimate conversations that made your heart swell.

“I think… that’s the point.”

Jongin looked at Kyungsoo in confusion.

“What I mean is, love is hard… but… it’s worth the pain. The more you endure, the hardships you share, the more you appreciate having that person next to you. Someone to distract you, listen to your problems, make you smile, give you hope. Love gives you someone who you will want to protect and wait for forever because even one second with them is the best second of your life.”

Kyungsoo looked up and blushed when he saw Jongin’s intense gaze on him, he suddenly felt prickling sensations in his insides.

“You sound like you have experience” was all that the alpha said, interrupting his thoughts.

Kyungsoo looked down shyly, “no, I sound like a hopeless romantic. I’ve only dreamt of it.”

“Of finding a mate?”

Kyungsoo looked up to him, smiling so softly that Jongin found his heart skip a beat. “No, of finding love.”

“Is there a difference?”

Kyungsoo nodded, “Yes.”

Kyungsoo left after that, stating he had to make lunch. After asking whether Jongin would be alright outside with his crutches, he went inside. Leaving Jongin to ponder on what that difference was.

 

While he wondered what Kyungsoo had meant, Kai noticed Luhan stepping outside with a carpet in his hands. Probably to shake them out, Kai concluded. Without a second thought, Kai grabbed his crutches, stood up and approached the second omega. However, as he got closer he noticed Luhan’s eyes fixed on something in the distance. Following his gaze he saw Sehun and Tao practicing not too far away. A perfect view.

“Hey.” Kai greeted, effectively scaring the omega.

“Oh, Kai! I didn’t hear you coming.” The omega blushed, looking down as if he had been caught doing something he wasn’t supposed to.

“Yea, cause you were too busy watching Sehun.” Kai knew everyone tried to avoid confronting Luhan. Letting the boy go on and avoid Sehun for as long as he wanted but Kai was tired of that. Didn’t anyone thing of how Sehun must feel? Just because the younger didn’t show his feelings didn’t mean he wasn’t hurting.

“E..Eh?” Luhan’s eyes widened. “I..I wasn’t-“

“You were. It was obvious.” He could see Luhan’s face pale.

“It…was?”

“Yup. You guys were all buddy-buddy yesterday. So why are you ignoring him now yet watching him like some love-sick school girl?”

“I’m –I’m not ignoring him!” Luhan insisted. “I was there during breakfast!”

“So?” Kai raised an eyebrow. “You didn’t look his way, and you cut him off when he was saying something."

“I’m- I’m not… I’m not ignoring him!” Luhan repeated loudly, but this time his voice was shaky, as if the truth was slowly dawning on him.

Kai sighed, “Yes. You are.” His voice hard, no room for arguments. It may have been a bit harsh, but it was what Luhan needed to know.

Luhan’s expression was lost. “I- I” he stammered. Kai placed a hand on Luhan’s shoulder in what he hoped to be a gesture of comfort.

“I know you’re struggling with some things but is ignoring Sehun really the best way to deal with that?” Kai asked. “You probably didn’t realize it… but it hurts Sehun too.”

Luhan’s eyes widened. “w-wait. It hurts him?” he asked softly. He hurt him?

“Of course.” Kai sighed again, “Did you think that Sehun wouldn’t care that you’d avoid him the day after opening up to him? And not just once, but every time? Luhan…hyung… you have things you need to worry about – I get it- but try not to hurt Sehun. At the very least, act like a hyung and treat him like the rest of us. It’ll be easier.” With one final pat on the shoulder, Kai made his way back to the house, yelling Kyungsoo’s name the moment he opened the door.

 

Luhan wasn’t sure how long he stood there frozen. His brain slowly going over Kai’s words. He was ignoring Sehun, and this hurt him. How did he not notice? He glanced back to the blonde haired boy. Luhan was appalled with himself, was he that self-absorbed?

“What the am I doing?” Luhan whispered.

 

 

 

“So how’s the ship holding up?” Baekhyun joked.

Kyungsoo rolled his eyes as he held the telephone to his ear, the other hand busy stirring in a pot. “Chen’s puking, Luhan’s cleaning and everyone else is doing their own thing.” He frowned when he felt the prickling sensations from earlier intensifying.

Baekhyun laughed, “Nice explanation Soo.”

“I means there isn’t much going on smart-.” Did I eat something bad?

“Yea I can tell.”

“Whatever, how’s it going for you guys?” he asked, knowing full well that Baekhyun would get excited to be talking about himself.

“ANNOYING!! No one’s paying attention to me!!” exactly, Kyungsoo thought. “I can’t even play pranks!!” Baekhyun continued to whine.

Kyungsoo laughed, “Well obviously Baek. You guys are there on business.”

“but all they do is have meetings!!”

Kyungsoo ignored his comment, the beta had been on every business trip. He knew by now what each one would be like and he complained about the same things each time.

“What’s the problem this time?”

Baekhyun sighed, “I don’t know, two packs down south are causing trouble. They’re apparently gathering every member of a pack into a group, messing things up before going on to the next one. You know, normal stuff.”

“So they’re asking for our protection once this group moves up north our way huh?”

“Bingo~” the beta sang.

Typical, Kyungsoo nodded. “Are they searching for something?”

“No clue.” Said Baekhyun with a pleased tone

Kyungsoo raised a brow, “You seem oddly happy about that.”

“Because we get a higher profit!!” He cried happily. Kris hated taking Baekhyun anywhere, especially since he was so whiney. However, the beta proved to be a large asset. This was because he was good with numbers, memorizing and arguing. Making him the mini lawyer/accountant of their pack. He dealt with what the job cost and how much they would charge for their services based on that. It was hard to win in a negotiation when Baekhyun was on the opposite side; everyone knew that. Of course, having such an annoying little beta yell and sass you, demanding more money or calling you out for being such an idiot could be a blow to one’s ego. So Chanyeol was appointed Baekhyun’s bodyguard, saving him from a load of trouble that Baekhyun was sure to get himself into.

Kyungsoo chuckled, “Well Kris must’ve been happy.”

Baekhyun groaned over the phone, “As if! He’s been all moody since Tao isn’t with him. Suho too! Even Minseok said he misses Chen!... before blushing and saying he missed everyone else too. Such babies.”

“I bet you’d be like them if Chanyeol wasn’t with you.”

“Eh? I- WHAT? NO!! SOO!!”

Kyungsoo started laughing before he started to cough, his lungs suddenly burning.

“Hey, Kyungsoo! Are you okay??” Baekhyun asked worriedly.

“Ah!” Kyungsoo coughed a few more times, “Sorry, it’s nothing.”

“Kyungsoo!!” Jongin’s voice suddenly rang out.

“I gotta go Baek, see you guys tomorrow.”

“Lovers boys calling huh? K, I won’t keep you. Make sure to take care of that cough! and use protection!!”

Kyungsoo knew Baekhyun was getting him back for his earlier comment. He smirked, he wouldn’t be the one to end the conversation blushing.

“Remember last summer when we had our anual summer party and you and Chanyeol got so drunk that you started cuddling?” He asked nonchalantly.

“Wha-“

“I have pictures.”  Kyungsoo snickered as he could practically hear Baekhyun’s jaw drop.

“Soo?!!” The alpha’s voice called again.

“I’m coming!!” Kyungsoo yelled. “See you later Baek!” he said into the phone before hanging up. Throwing the apron off, Kyungsoo turned to the doorway. Suddenly he knelt over in pain. “” a sharp pain hit Kyungsoo’s insides in an instant.

“Soo?” Jongin’s voice was closer.

Immediately Kyungsoo straightened up, shaking off the sudden pain that dispersed to the rest of his insides. “Sorry, coming!” he called out, rushing out to the living room.

Worry etched Jongin’s good-looking face as he looked over the omega. “You okay? I heard you swear pretty painfully…”

Kyungsoo gave him a reassuring smile and shook his head, “It’s nothing don’t worry.”

Jongin’s frown deepened, placing his hands on the omega’s shoulder to make him look at him. “You sure?” he asked, eyes piercing into Kyungsoo’s.

Kyungsoo felt his heart burn, but not in the unpleasant way that it had before. Instead, in a way that warmed him to the very core. “Yes, I’m fine.” He smiled, because somehow, the fact that Jongin showed such raw emotion in front of Kyungsoo took all other pain away – and he didn’t understand why.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

The two of them sat in the living room, watching a movie as they ate. Yixing had taken his food to his room, grabbing some for the sick boy Chen as well, Luhan had claimed he was too busy to eat – but reluctantly grabbed a bowl when he caught Kyungsoo’s glare. But then he asked where Sehun and Tao were; which was completely surprising to Kyungsoo and Jongin. Kyungsoo explained, abruptly trying to shake off the shock, that the two were banished to eat outside because they were dripping in sweat. Kyungsoo said he was about to bring them their food outside. Jongin was pretty shocked as well, yet pleased, to see Luhan struggling to go back to normal. He smirked as he watched Kyungsoo look as if he would faint when Luhan asked if he could bring Sehun and Tao their food instead.

That left Kyungsoo and Jongin by themselves.

“Y-you saw that too right? Luhan asked to give Sehun his food.”

Jongin chuckled, putting some food into their bowls. “Tao too.” He included.

Kyungsoo shot a look at the younger, “You know what I mean! Luhan acknowledged Sehun!! How is this possible??”

Jongin shrugged, “He probably realized his ways or something. It doesn’t matter Soo, as long as he’s talking to Sehun it’s all good.”

Kyungsoo looked at the younger, taking note of how the younger refused to look him in the eye. He was hiding something! “You did something didn’t you?”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“Jongin.”

Jongin sighed, he didn’t know how just by simply saying his name Kyungsoo broke his cool. “I may have talked to him… but!” he held his hand up when it looked like Kyungsoo would interrupt. “It’s not my fault! Everyone was avoiding the topic this morning! And I didn’t think it was fair to Sehun, he was probably hurting too. Everyone treats Luhan as a child but he’s the eldest, so don’t be mad but-“

He was interrupted by the blinding smile Kyungsoo gave him. Jongin’s eye widened and he felt his heart skip a beat looking at the omega’s lips stretch out into a wide heart shaped smile, his eyes turning up into crescents. Next thing he knew, the omega wrapped his arms around his waist, his head resting on Jongin’s chest. “You did that?” the omega asked.

Unable to find a voice to speak, the alpha nodded. His breath hitched as he tried to stay as still as possible… but he had to admit… Kyungsoo was unimaginably warm against him.

“So you care?” Kyungsoo laughed.

Jongin tried to speak, even though he didn’t trust himself to say anything. “I-I uh-“ Since when did he get tongue tied??

Kyungsoo let go, laughing, “Thank you Jongin.”

Jongin nodded, muttering a small “You’re welcome.” Slightly missing the warmth that had disappeared.

 

 

“I don’t see why we have to eat outside,” Tao muttered. His stomach grumbling as he waited for his food. “I mean its sweat!! Everyone sweats!!”

Sehun sighed, “Shut up Tao.”

“but Sehun it’s not fair!!”

“You’re sweaty, Sweat stinks, and therefore you stink. Do you really think Kyungsoo will let anything that stinks so much around his kitchen?”

“but I’m hunnngrrryyyy.”

“No, you’re ing grumpy because Kris isn’t here.”

“So what if I am you head?! UGH I’m hungry dammit!!”

Unknowingly, a small figure approached them. “I have food…” Sehun and Tao snapped their heads to look at the small voice. Both pair of eyes widened as they took in the smaller omega with a tray in his hands.

“Luhan?” Sehun asked in confusion. The omega smiled awkwardly, “I uh, I brought you guys food. So um… here.” He walked up to Sehun and handed the tray to him. Both Sehun and Tao took note of how there were three bowls on the tray, and even when Luhan handed the tray to Sehun, he didn’t move to take his bowl.

“What are you doing here Ge?” Tao asked, to tell the truth he was a bit confused, shocked and a tiny bit scared, to see the older omega out here, especially near Sehun.

“Um, well, I’m bringing you guys your food. Can’t you see that?” His tone tried to sound normal but the blush on his face gave away the nervous feelings he had.

Sehun was shocked, he took in the sight of the embarrassed Luhan, his slightly shaking form and his flickering glances to Sehun’s direction. “Where’s Kyungsoo?” Sehun spoke.

Luhan finally turned to face Sehun, struggling to not fidget and unconsciously turn away. “He’s- He’s busy, plus you know how he hates anything that smells, s-so I said that I would take your food to you guys.” He shrugged, taking the opportunity to look away from Sehun’s intense gaze and looked down.

“Oh, well thank you Ge” Tao said happily, immediately shoving the food into his face. That was a good enough answer for him.

Sehun tilted his head, a curious gestured that Luhan had noted a while back. “Do you not mind the stench? I mean we are two men drenched in sweat.”

The omega roughly shook his head. “It’s fine! It doesn’t bother me.”

It was silent then, Tao eating his food, glancing up discreetly watching the other two. He watched in amusement as Sehun continued to look at Luhan, while Luhan continued to fidget and look anywhere but at Sehun.

But then Sehun chuckled, surprising the two. “Would you like to join us?” The alpha asked, looking pointedly at the last bowl.

Luhan blinked, he wasn’t even sure why he had brought his bowl as well. But he pushed that thought away and found himself nodding. He scurried over, grabbed his bowl and sat by the two.

“Thank you,” he mumbled before shoving a spoonful of food into his mouth.

 

 

 

Jongin and Kyungsoo ended up in the living room, eating dinner and watching a movie as per Kyungsoo’s insistence.

“Are you done with your bowl?” Jongin asked, making a move to stand up and pick up the empty dishes.

Kyungsoo made a surprised noise as he shot up, ready to tell Jongin to sit his back down, but the younger gave him a knowing look. “I’m fine Kyungsoo, I can handle this.”

“But-“ his protest was stopped.

“Sit. I’m just walking to the kitchen.” Kyungsoo watched as Jongin hopped into the kitchen, empty plates in hand, before hoping back out without them. He had to admit, although Jongin with handling pain, he knew when to it up and pretend. Just like Kyungsoo was trying to do with the prickly burning sensation in his sides.

“See.” Jongin said with his brows raised and hands up, “I’m still alive.”

Kyungsoo rolled his eyes, “Sorry for caring about your welfare,” he said sarcastically.

Jongin chuckled as he sat back down, “Thanks but there isn’t much to take care of anymore. Just a matter of waiting now.”

Kyungsoo then grinned, “You’re right, soon you’ll be all healed. That’s really great, just in time too. By next month the lake will be perfect to swim in. We usually have picnics almost every day because all they ever want to do is swim. Knowing you though I think the only reason you’ll swim is if Sehun challenges you-”

Kyungsoo didn’t notice Jongin’s face start to go blank. Don’t get to close. You’re getting too close.

“-I swear if you get yourself injured again by challenging Sehun I won’t let you eat anything but vegetables-“

You don’t belong anywhere. Stop pretending, this isn’t your home.

“Jongin?”

You’re becoming weak.

“I never said I was staying.” Like knives the words cut through Kyungsoo, the pain in his abdomen now unnoticed, instead the aching in his chest taking its place.

“Excuse me?”

“I said I’m not staying here.”

Kyungsoo stared at him, his eyes wide, confused. No words seemed to form in his mouth.

Jongin didn’t look at the omega, but he didn’t feel remorse for what he said.

“I don’t belong here Kyungsoo, I’m thankful for you guys saving me and taking care of me but I don’t belong here.”

“Bull.” Kyungsoo wailed jumping up. Jongin looked up at him in shock. “That’s ing Bull Jongin. If you don’t belong here then neither do I, or Luhan nor Lay hyung! Then none of us belong here!” Why didn’t Jongin get it by now?

“That’s different!” Jongin defended, running a hand through his hair. “I’m different," he stressed.

“And how the hell are you any different?” Kyungsoo asked, arms crossed and waiting for his answer.

“I’m a ing lone wolf Kyungsoo. A LONE WOLF! Do you even know what I’ve done?” the alpha yelled, frustrated that he had to try to express himself. “I’ve done horrible things-“

“I told you, we don’t care-“

“WELL YOU SHOULD,” the alpha yelled, surprising Kyungsoo at his loud voice. “You just invite a lone wolf to stay in you’re home? You know nothing about him, where he’s from, what he’s like, you just let them in? Who the hell does that Kyungsoo?? Only idiots do that!”

“I’m NOT an idiot Jongin and we didn’t let in ‘just anyone’, we let in YOU!! I don’t know why you just can’t understand that WE DON’T CARE, we WANT you to stay!!” I want you to stay.

Jongin growled, “Just… drop it Kyungsoo, I’m not staying.”

Kyungsoo could feel his blood boil, Jongin was such an – “ IDIOT GIVE ME A BETTER REASON! GIVE ME A BETTER ING REASON AS TO WHY YOU CAN”T STAY HERE… Why the hell can’t you stay with us?!”

Jongin kept silent, his glare sharper and more intense than Kyungsoo had ever seen. He could feel the room fill with Jongin's alpha scent- trying to push the omega into submission- a warning to stop. Yet the omega stared right back at him, he wouldn't back down. “This has to do with what happened to you before, doesn’t it? What you did to become a lone wolf? Look if you explain it to me, you know I won’t judge Jongin, I’ll under –“

 “You won't ing understand, none of you will ing understand." 

Kyungsoo glared at him, unbelieving of the words that were coming out of his mouth. “I wouldn’t understand? Jongin, sure, unlike you I was a victim, like most of us here we left but do you even KNOW Sehun’s story? Do you even know the story of the original members? DON”T tell me I don’t ing understand because I’ve DEALT with those who blame themselves, I KNOW what they feel. In this pack we LISTEN AND NOT JUDGE. HAVE YOU NOT HEARD ME TELL YOU THIS A HUNDRED TIMES ALREADY?”

“ing hell, Kyungsoo I told you that’s diff-“

“DON”T TELL ME THIS IS DIFFERENT JONGIN BECAUSE IT”S NOT.” Kyungsoo panted, trying to calm down. “Get it through your thick head. It’s not different, you’re not different. Stop running away goddammit and just do what makes you ing happy.”

It was silent for a few seconds before Jongin opened his mouth. “Yeah because you and Luhan look so ing happy right?”

The air was tense, Kyungsoo felt as if he were slapped. He would have screamed his head off if not for the lump in his throat and the wetness welling up in his eyes. The burning was getting stronger, he felt stuffy and he needed to get out.

“ you Jongin.” He growled before spinning around and running out the front door.