Chapter Seven

Golden Rule
Golden Rule
Chapter Seven
By: Sharl




Junsu tried his best not to shiver from the cold, but without the proper cloaks or robes, it was madness trying to withstand the cold. He was already unused with it from the start and now to only be wearing thin robe from Sevaecia while riding his horse was pure torture.

The moment he had stepped through the castle’s walls, Junsu had known the journey would be a long, arduous one. Anorhad not risen yet when the King’s party set off from the castle, and so Junsu had hoped that perhaps Anor’s warmth would help him withstand the cold later. However his hopes were crushed when he found out that it would only grow colder, for Cair Andros was located at the far northeast of the Great Kingdom.

He had wanted to speak to the King, to apologize and told him that he knew he had crossed the line and he did not mean to defy him that way. Junsu should have learnt better than interfering and meddling with the Court and that it was not his intention at all. 

But then the King did not do as much as gazed at him. He had acted as if Junsu was not there and when the King had merely strode past him, Junsu had willed the pain that lashed through his heart. He had swallowed heavily and at that moment Junsu knew there was nothing he could do to mend their relationship. And so he had just gritted his teeth, mounted his horse and prayed to the Valar to give him strength to bear with the cold, even if it was mere dream.

Perhaps it was a good thing that they had ridden out even before the Ithil disappeared. It was quite a spectacle for the people when they saw the King Consort’s without the protection of warm fur cloak and thick robes, and they would undoubtedly know that the King and him had quarreled. There were already whispers followed him that morning, speaking of the incident the other day. The last thing Junsu needed was if the whispers reached the people’s ears outside the castle’s walls.

When Ithil had finally disappeared, they had passed through the Great Gate and were now crossing the Field of Methedras. Junsu gazed around. When he first passed through this field, it was almost spring time and the weather was the worst winter Junsu had ever felt, even with the warmth of the fur cloak from the King.

And now although it was almost summer, Junsu saw little change from the scenery. There was no warmth, no leaves or flowers bloomed and shared the joy of summer. Although the trees were no longer barren, they were of needle-leafed and dark brown color. Even the stream had not yet melted, thin layer of frozen ice still covered them.

Few animal carcasses were piled at the far side of the field, a sign that the hunters had just hunted yesterday. Meat was the Cardonnans’ main staple, as the land and the climate provided them with hunted meat rather than gardens and fruit trees.

Few farmers were working in their farms, using great spades to break the snow, for Field of Methedras was the most fertile lands in all Cardonna and in them the Cardonnans learnt how to farm. The number of fertile lands were very few and the farmland too little. It would not support the Kingdom for even a month, let alone a winter. The great wealth of the Kingdom of Cardonna lied with the great mines they had deep under the mountains. 

And the greatest, wealthiest mine of all was Ered Luin, the only mithril mine on Arda. As mithril worth ten times its weight than gold, the late King had built two fortresses to protect the mine. Ered Luin was guarded by Cair Andros in the inner part of the kingdom, and Gondolin in the outer part. Gondolin was located at the exact border between Kingdom of Kuveth and the Great Kingdom of Cardonna and it was under the protection of the House of the Golden Flower as well.

Junsu now knew the name of the Lord of the House of Golden Flower, whom the King had spent many of his times with. His name was Lord Jaejoong and he resided in Cair Andros to protect and guard the two fortresses as well as the mine. 

The King’s words yesterday now resounded in Junsu’s ear, that the Orcs had been increasing in numbers and that they had become bolder. A cold fear seized him as Junsu remembered he had not carried his bows with him, as his father said it would not be wise if the two princes from Sevaecia entered Cardonna with blades, swords and arrows. Now Junsu wished he had brought at least a small blade to protect himself from the foul creatures.

But he had neither blade nor bow with him. And he dared not asking them from the King, for it would only make the King convinced of Junsu’s act of treason. The King had so easily believed that even though it was not the truth. What would he say if Junsu asked for blades and bows?

Junsu gazed at the tall form of the King who rode ahead of the party. He was conversing quietly with Eric but Junsu could not hear the words. The wind was howling too loud in his ears and yet, he could only remember what Junho had said before he sailed back. It resonated in Junsu’s mind as if it was a burning, undying flame.

“You will have happiness dearest one, and be a great consort for the King. I have faith in you. Do not pretend to be a child only because it suits you.”

Junsu felt tears burnt his eyes and willed them away. He glanced sideways so that no one would see his eyes. Junho. He missed his brother. How he wished he was there with him right then, laughing and smiling and speaking through their twin bonds. 

Junho had faith in him to be a great consort for the King and yet Junsu disregard his brother’s final words and acted selfishly. He defied his King, saying those hurtful words without a moment’s thought. He acted as a child, simply due to his own foolishness and temper. His need to speak with his twin overwhelmed Junsu. Out of desperation and hopelessness, he reached into their bond.

Gwador, I am at lost. I do not know what to do. Saes, gwador, answer me. I need you.

His words echoed far and long, and he waited with trepidation. Still, no answer came. They were separated too far; the bond could not cover the distance. His heart clenched painfully. Never before he felt so alone, so lost and so confused. Junho was not there. There was no one who could help him.

Junsu gritted his teeth and bit his lips hard. He refused to let the tears flow. He had sworn that he would not cry in front of these Cardonnans and he would hold onto his words. And so he took a deep breath and looked ahead. Cair Andros was still one day away. Junsu only had to maintain his façade for one day. Yes. He could do that. 

He had to.

 

-----




By midday they could saw the mountain where Cair Andros was located, but the fortress itself was nowhere to be seen. The King called for rest. They would have their lunch in the nearby stream where several of Eric’s men had scouted ahead to clear the surrounding area. Although they were still deep in the borders of the kingdom, there was no fault in being too cautious. Neither could foresee how far the darkness had grown.

Junsu dismounted from his horse with difficulty, for his body felt like it had frozen and became rigid. Andy hurried up to help him and widened his eyes when he touched the King’s Consort skin. “My lord, you are freezing. Your skin is icy cold.”

“I am fine.”

“But my lord-“

“Do not worry, I will be fine. Now go and eat, you will need the strength.”

There were cheese, lembas and meat, but Junsu did not touch any of them. Andy had pleaded at him to eat even it was just one bite, but Junsu refused to do so. The thought of food brought bile of nausea in him and so he did not want to eat. He found no appetite, no spirit. And so he just sat there, on a cold rock by the riverbed and wished his body would stop trembling. 

The King did not care whether he eat or not, as he did not even spare a glance to his Consort. Junsu smiled bitterly. Of course, why would he? I told him that he is not my King and so in return I am not his subject. Why should he care for me?

They continued their journey soon after. The King said they still had many miles to go and needed to cover them as soon as possible. Junsu was silently grateful at this thought. The longer the journey, the longer he had to endure the cold. And he did not know how much longer he could endure, for the temperature had dropped even lower as they rode higher to the mountains.

Andy had given him few mouthfuls of miruvor but the heady drink could only do so much. Halfway through the journey, Junsu refused to take more. He did not have the will to drink, and the miruvor had made his head slightly spin. If he drink some more, he would fall off his horse soon after.

Junsu glanced up and noted that although the Anor was high in the sky, still it brought no warmth to him. The cold wind seeped through the thin Saevacian cloak he wore. He was shivering and he was sure the tremble was visible by anyone in the party. But of course no one would dare to defy the King and as long as the King commanded that Junsu would not be given any fur cloak from Cardonna, then this Saevacian cloak was the best thing he could have to withstand the cold.

And yet the cold only grow colder as they rode higher into the mountains. By the time the high silhouette of Cair Androscame upon sight, it was already late at night and the party needed to stop to rest. They would continue the journey tomorrow. 

Junsu could not dismount his horse. His fingers gripped the rein tightly and it was almost frozen by the cold. Andy had to help prying his fingers one by one and few of Eric’s men literally had to struggle carrying his freezing body from the high horse. 

They looked at him in pity but it only made Junsu become more ashamed. He was not an invalid, and yet he had to be treated so. He hated it. He hated this blasted cold and this blasted country. But at that moment there was no one he hated more than the King. The King had embarrassed him in front of the servants and treated him worse than a slave. 

He heard food being brought out and shared and before long Andy came up to him, bringing a plate of lembas and cheese. Junsu wanted to refuse the food, but he could not even lift his head and said no. He had no strength left. The cold had taken it away from him.

And so he just laid there on the ground, for there was no luxury when one was on a journey. They had to do with whatever Arda gave them, even the King. All elves loved to be with the nature, and they choose to sleep in the open, to hear the trees whispering and the wind singing. 

But it all brought no comfort to Junsu, as he could only feel the cold. He could not move. He could not find warmth in the fire Eric’s men had lighted earlier. With much difficulty, Junsu curled further and brought his thin cloak tighter with him. He bit his lip hard so that no one could hear him cry, but even his tears soon were frozen. There was no strength left. Everything was numb. At that point, Junsu wished the Valar would take pity on him and allowed him to be dead.

 

-----




Changmin was awoken by the chirping birds and the sound of whispers around him. His eyes began to focus, as all elves slept with their eyes open. He blinked to clear the mist in his eyes. He stretched once, wincing as his muscles ached from sleeping in the open. 

“What should we do?” someone whispered.

“There is nothing we can do, the King has forbid him wearing our cloaks.”

“But look at that thin fabric. The night was harsh and cold, how can he survive?”

“What are you speaking of?” Changmin asked with a frown. Some of Eric’s men were huddling in one side, speaking and whispering among themselves. They looked startled seeing their King had woke up and Changmin wondered what might set them so flustered. 

They looked amongst themselves before one of them stepped forward. “My King, we have called for the King’s Consort repeatedly and yet he has not answered,” he explained with a bow. He pointed towards where the Prince was lying.

Changmin frowned deeper. He gazed at his Consort’s sleeping form and felt irritation building up inside him. Even the mere sight of him brought ugly memories. Changmin could still remember vividly when he just came into the Council room and was greeted by Lord Dongwook’s and Lord Seunghyun’s condescending smiles. They both had bowed at him, but Changmin knew they did not mean it. 

He knew perfectly well that the House of Harp was never his allies. They might answer to him as a King, but he did not have their loyalty. To ensure their powers were limited, Changmin had painstakingly delayed the appointment to fill the Council’s vacant position. He might be the King, but Changmin still did not have the authority he wanted. He still had to answer to the Council and as much as Changmin hated to admit it, currently the Council was divided. 

And his Consort, his foreign Consort, had crushed Changmin’s hard work so easily. He had meddled in something he should not have, and he had destroyed everything that Changmin had built in the past few years. 

Changmin then sighed. There was nothing more he could do now. What was done could not be undone. It would be better if he keep in mind that this alliance with the Kingdom of Sevaecia would bring great fortune for his people, also for the upcoming war. 

The envoy from Jaejoong that arrived two days before, brought disturbing reports from Gondolin. The sentries there reported of increasing activities in the dark kingdom. They spoke of the never ending sounds of weapons being forged echoed deep in the night. They said plenty of Orcs now dared to venture outside the dark kingdom, and often Gondolinarchers had to shoot repeatedly in the dark for those foul creatures grew bolder at night.

Changmin tightened his fist. They had to reach Cair Andros as soon as possible. There he would meet with Jaejoong and they would discuss this upsetting news. There was not even one second to waste, and yet his Consort did not sense his urgency. Changmin then walked towards his Consort’s sleeping form and stopped few steps away.

“Junsu?” he called, “Come we must go. We have to reach Cair Andros soon for I need to speak with Lord from the House of Golden Flower the moment we arrive.”

There was no answer. 

Changmin sighed heavily. He stepped closer and crouched. He touched the shoulder and was about to shake Junsu awake when he noticed one thing. The cloak was too cold. Frowning, he turned his Consort around. 

And his heart almost stopped.

Junsu’s eyes were closed. An elf never slept with his eyes closed, except when he was in sickness and it led him to great peril, and often near death. Changmin could feel his hands began to shake and he called his Consort’s name repeatedly. “Junsu? Junsu? Are you alright? Open your eyes, Junsu.”

He tapped Junsu’s cheek, hoping that the movement would awake him. Changmin could still hear the other’s heartbeat and the pulse was still there, although they were faint and weak. As if sensing something had gone wrong, few guards surrounded them but Changmin paid them no attention. His mind was on his Consort.

After what felt like an eternity, finally those eyes opened. Changmin sighed in relief as he watched realization slowly filled the other’s eyes. But what he heard next surprised him. Junsu spoke and his voice was so weak it was no more than a whisper. “I am frozen with cold,” he said. 

Changmin’s heart was gripped with fear. He studied his Consort’s lips and saw that they were blue. There was a split and dried blood on it as if Junsu had been biting on it too hard and his teeth chattered in cold as he spoke. “I am so c-cold that I shall die and then you will be happy. You can b-bury me in this horrible country and m-marry your friend, whom you give so much care. And I shall never see-“ he broke off into cough.

The King listened in shock as his consort gasped for breath. “Junsu?”Changmin whispered, his own voice sounded so small in his hear.

“I shall never see my brother again. But he will know that you killed me with your cruelty and that I die alone in this cold, unforgiving weather.”

It was in that moment that Changmin only realized the consequences of what he had done. What Junsu said was true. Changmin had acted cruelly and had been blinded by anger. He had not seen how lonely his Consort was and had neglected him, using the Kingdom’s matters as selfish excuses. 

Changmin then pulled off his own fur cloak and draped it on his Consort’s trembling form. “Andy, please ride ahead. Send word to Jaejoong and have him prepare my room, see that the fires are lit and the bed is warm.” Without waiting for an answer, he rose and lifted Junsu in his arms.

“What are you d-doing?” he heard Junsu asked as his body trembled from cold. His voice sounded so small, so desperate and Changmin felt his heart clenched with guilt. What had he done to his Consort? He deserved to be treated with respect. He was a prince from neighboring Kingdom and no matter what Junsu had done, even after meddling with the Court and forming his own Saevacian circle, Junsu should not suffer from cold. Not even the poorest Cardonna would ever experience this, and yet Junsu did.

And most of it was because of Changmin’s own pride and foolishness.

He gazed at his Consort’s pale skin, the color was almost the same as the snow around them. Only now he saw the truth. Junsu was young, not much older than him. And yet he was to sail to a kingdom so foreign, without anyone by his side. He looked upon Changmin, his husband and King, for guidance and Changmin had uncaringly crashed that hope. 

But not anymore. They had plenty of misunderstandings in the past and very few moments of comfort, but now Changmin was determined to change that. He would not let his Consort die, for they were to try to get new future together.

He then walked towards his horse. He handed Junsu’s limp form to Eric and mounted Aerwithen, his horse, before placing Junsu to ride in front of him. “Be still and hold tight to the reins. We will ride fast to reach the fortress.” Changmin saw confusion marking his Consort’s eyes but he paid no attention to them. Instead, he said the command to the mare. “Noro lim, Aerwithen. Ride like the wind.”

As if sensing her master’s urgency, Aerwithen galloped at once. She was an elven horse and naturally faster than any other horses. The wind whipped around them and it grazed Changmin’s bare skin for he no longer wore the fur cloak. 

Unconsciously Changmin drew his Consort closer. Even with the protection of the fur cloak, he knew Junsu was beyond cold. The ride to Cair Andros might be harmful to him even more. He hoped that Junsu might stay awake for it was more dangerous when one was asleep; one might get frozen alive.

Aerwithen did not stop for a moment, not even hesitating when the terrain changed into steep rocks uphill. She was an intelligent mare, and Changmin had ridden her quite often to Cair Andros that she had remembered the way. And for that Changmin was thankful, for not long after Junsu slumped forward. He was almost got thrown off the horse had it not for Changmin had his arms around him. 

Changmin whispered to Aerwithen to ride even faster. This was not good. Junsu was unconscious and no matter what Changmin did, he could not awake his Consort. Changmin’s heart grew heavy, but still he tightened his hold on Junsu, hoping that somehow the other would not be cold.

When Anor was high in the sky, they finally reached the fortress. Jaejoong was standing in the courtyard with some guards. Changmin saw his friend turned around as Aerwithen galloped near. “Bring the King’s Consort to the prepared room!” Changmin heard Jaejoong commanded to his men. 

Everything was a blur to Changmin then. Few men unsaddled Junsu and carried him swiftly into the fortress. One guard took reins of Aerwithen’s and helped Changmin dismount. Changmin looked to the concerned face of his best friend’s. He tried to speak but no words were formed.

Jaejoong seemed to understand for he spoke next. “Do not worry meldir, we can discuss later. I will stand guard. Now you must go to your Consort.”

Changmin nodded, grateful that Jaejoong understood him well. He ran towards his room, located at the far east of the fortress. By the time he reached it, the guards had opened the door wide. Panting, the King saw his Consort lied at the center of the bed, buried under thick covers. The fire had been lit but to Changmin the room was still too cold. Few servants fluttered around the room, one was preparing a herbal tea and a couple others were carrying more fur cloaks.

Changmin strode towards the bed and touched Junsu. The skin was still icy cold. But of course it was, one could not recover from cold that fast. His mind then whirled. The servants had done everything they could to make sure Junsu was warm, but it was still not enough.

There was only one thing left to do now.

“Remove his clothes,” he commanded to the servants.

They looked startled and gazed at each other before bowing and obeying the command. First they lifted the heavy covers, and then they began to remove Junsu’s clothing one by one. Once they were done, they put Junsu back under the warm blankets. 

“Leave us.”

The servants bowed once again and shuffled out of the room. Changmin maintained his gaze towards his Consort. Once he heard the door closed behind him, he then removed his own clothes until no thread left and climbed onto the bed. He lifted the covers and drew Junsu closer. Changmin ran his hands onto his Consort’s cold skin, hoping the friction would warm them. Every now and then he felt Junsu’s pulse, as if he needed reassurances that the other was still alive.

Everything that had happened between them the last month flashed in his mind and his heart burnt with shame. He had not been a good husband, let alone a good King. How could he treat his Consort this way? He was so blinded by anger and pride that he had acted cruelly. 

There were still many things he wished to know of Junsu. What was his favorite food? What did he like to do during his lonely times at the castle? Did Changmin even care to know? 

He felt tears prickled in his eyes. The weight of everything that was happening fell down on him at once. He had failed his duty. And now he wished his father was still alive. His father would not let this happen; he would have reminded Changmin to act wiser, to get to know his Consort. 

But his father was dead. There was no one who could guide him and he was lost at what to do. Changmin hold his Consort tighter and kissed the other’s cold lips.

Junsu, saes, do not leave me. 


-End of Chapter Seven-


Glossary:

Valar = gods
Anor= sun
Ithil= moon
Gwador = brother
Saes = Please
Arda = time/earth
Noro lim = Run fast