Chapter Twenty

Golden Rule
Golden Rule
Chapter Twenty
By: Sharl




It took the King’s army mere two days to reach Cair Andros, faster than expected for they sensed that they must hurry. The longer the dark forces had control of Ered Luin and so mined her riches, the worse it might be for the elves. Already they had lost seven moons to prepare for the war. Within those seven nights, Changmin knew the Orcs might have mined enough to make strongest swords and toughest shields.

And so they rode in hurry. By the time they reached Cair Andros, the sentries had opened the gate and Lord Jaejoong from the House of Golden Flower stood nearby to welcome the King. “Mae govannen, meldir,” he said, ”it is good to see you.”

Changmin dismounted with grace, leaving Aerwithen in the hands of a stable boy. “Speak, my friend, I wish to know more of what we will face at dawn.”

The two friends walked with quick steps towards the barracks. Outside the gate they saw many tents were being erected, for the fortress of Cair Andros was not large enough to give space for eight thousand elven warriors. Evil scouts from the dark forces might see the incoming assault, but the Cardonnans elves had no choice.

“The enemies have with them fifteen thousand spears, goblins and Orcs and Wargs amongst them. Their cries are fearful and evil. Siege weapons they do not brought, and it told us that they plan to stay with the mine. They will not attack Cair Andros for now.”

“But the longer they have Ered Luin, the more mitril would they have mined.”

“You speak the truth. When the men have rested, we should attack.”

Changmin merely nodded, for his mind was preoccupied and his heart was filled with worry. Flashes of White City kept haunting him, with the face of his Consort and it gave him no ease. Fear grew in his heart. There were foreboding whispers in the wind, but perhaps it might be merely due to his own fear. This war had taken its toll and griped him. He drew a long sigh, trying to clear his mind for any worry and doubt, for he needed to be here with his men.

“What of the attack to Gondolin? Do we lose many men?”

The King then saw Lord Jaejoong’s saddened gaze, his eyes filled with sorrow and his voice with grief as he spoke, “Aye, I fear that is true. The power of the Dark Kingdom grew and we were hard beset. Sudden attack came upon Gondolin out of the Black Gate, and the men were swept away. They were outnumbered. Many good elves had died, for the attack came too sudden and in the dark of night. All who can have retreated here, but we have sung lamented songs for two moons now.”

Even now Changmin could still hear the distant sound of singing elves, their songs filled with sadness and grief as they wept for lost comrades. His heart clenched in pain as he heard the words. The sorrow echoed through Cair Andros. He replied his friend’s words,

“And many more will perish tomorrow, meldir, but courage we must have. By the grace of the Valar with us, we die in honor for our Great Kingdom. Or we shall not have our freedom, enslaved to the Dark Lord’s will and use us as he shall see fit.” He then clasped his childhood friend’s shoulder in tight grip. “Come, we must rest. Before Anor shone her first light tomorrow, we shall ride to Ered Luin. May the Valar guide us with their lights.”

 

-----




The Castle was as still as forest in winter. Now that the King and his men had gone, not many elves left behind at the castle. They had received words that the King had arrived at Cair Andros earlier, which meant that they would begin the assault soon. Junsu had prayed and prayed to the Valar to keep his husband safe, but even then he knew was not enough. His heart wished that he could be with his King, to protect him as he had done once when they both visited Ered Luin.

He might be a King’s Consort, but Junsu was a warrior as well. He had been trained in the arts of bow and swords since he was an elfling, together with Junho they had trained together. And now all those trainings seemed of no use, for he was left behind as his beloved rode to war.

Almost immediately Junsu felt guilty. He had agreed with what the King asked him to, to stay and guide their people. The King did not wish a repeat of what had happened to Gondolin, of what might be if there is no Lord to guide the people. If all things had been lost, Junsu would be the only one who had to protect the White City. This he had promised. And these words he would fulfill.

The messenger brought words that the dark lord’s army had numbered fifteen thousand. The Orcs and goblins rode Wargs as well and it only added to that number, for Wargs were vicious and had taste for flesh. The King’s elven warriors only numbered eight thousand spears.

Junsu sighed. Worry would only make matter worse. There was nothing he could do, except knowing and making sure that his people were safe. They had asked all people to stay inside the White City, even farmers and hunters who reside outside her walls. They would bring only food and provisions, and to stay at the White City until the King’s army was victorious and returned. Or if all things had been lost, they would remain there until the very end of Arda.

Some outlying villagers had not arrived and Junsu grew worried. He then mounted his horse with swiftness. Perhaps they only needed help to prepare and it was only the weariness that hinders them. Nevertheless Junsu wished to seek the answer.

He rode towards one of the villages near the forest, with only Andy as his companion. He had left Lord Myungsoo, the new Lord from the House of Harp in charge of the White City while he goes. Lord Myungsoo was too young, just barely passed his majority and so the King had asked him to stay behind while he himself brought the older warriors from the House of Harp with him. It seemed to Junsu that the King had not trusted the House of Harp yet, and perhaps for good reason.

When it was nearly dark, he arrived in the village, he saw many villagers had started to journey towards the White City. Junsu dismounted his horse and started to help. The villagers bowed to him, astonished to see the King’s Consort would go such a long way from the castle to help them.

As Junsu gathered a sack of potato and piled it to a wooden wagon, he felt unease. It was as if he was being watched. Something foreboding grew within him. Instinctively he reached for the sword the King had given him. His beloved’s words echoed in his mind.

“It would shine blue if there is an Orc or Goblin near you. May it serve you good in the moment of your need.”

Junsu gripped his sword’s handle and drew it, very slight, just to see a hint of the blade.

It shone blue.

 

-----




A scout. He was hiding behind the trees, just underneath the shadows. Junsu had found him in time, and had quickly killed him before the scout had a chance to escape and brought words back. The King’s Consort had grown suspicious. Why there was an Orc-scout hiding in the Eastern Forest? There was nothing but mountain there, and it led to nowhere except the Ruins of Barahir, the city of old which had been long abandoned.

And then a fear, so dark it griped him. Just south from the Ruins of Barahir was a Path of Cirith Ungol, which would lead straight to the Kingdom of Kuveth. Was it possible? Did some Orcs had escaped from the war and now roaming the lands in fear of the Dark Lord? However that seemed unlikely. The Dark Lord Maglor was known for his malice. He would not let any of his subjects escaped.

Junsu had then grown curious. He wished to know more. How many are these Orcs, and what in the name of Arda were they doing there? And for what reason? He quickly had asked Andy to lead the villagers to the White City, hasten they must be. Andy had objected at first, but with some assurances he had finally relented. Junsu promised that he would be fast, just to see the Orcs and to know how many of them there were.

Now he was leaping from tree to tree, minding to be silent and alert. Orcs were vile creatures and loud, they screamed and made much noise even as they sleep. Junsu would be able to find them soon, as long he was mindful.

Ithil had just risen when he finally heard them. Shrieking, screaming, snarling came from a crater underneath. Great fires they made to keep themselves warm in the cold weather of Cardonna. Their shadows, great many of them, constantly moved as the firelight gave them light. Junsu then climbed to the highest tree there, for he wished to clearly see the enemies. And what he saw feared him.

Great number of Orcs, all wore the dark steel armor from Kuveth, some with swords, some with spears beside them. There must be no less than twenty thousand of them.

 

-----




They had closed the gates in every level, all eight of them, barricaded with stones and wooden pillars. They had drawn all remaining forces behind the wall, and set watch on the surround. Junsu had gathered every warrior he could find in the White City, but still there were no more than seven hundred remained. Seven hundred warriors, and they had to face twenty thousand Orcs.

The Orcs were beyond cunning. They had circled the long way, passing through the Path of Cirith Ungol and rested at the Ruins of Barahir, before continuing their journey passing the mountain to the Eastern Forest, from where they would attack the White City.

It seemed that no one had remembered to defend the Ruins, for although it lied within the border of the Great Kingdom of Cardonna, all their strength are mustered to Gondolin, the closest border with the Kingdom of Kuveth. After all, who had thought that the Orcs would be able to pass through the mountain? Who would have known, that on top of the forces they had gathered to seize Gondolin, fifteen thousand Orcs, the Dark Lord still had twenty thousand more?

Junsu watched the horizon with growing worry. The vile creatures would attack soon now that Junsu had killed their scout. They would be suspicious, would notice that the scout did not return. They would know that King’s Consort had known.

We have to send word to the King.”

Andy, his loyal companion, spoke in quiet tone. “My Lord, you are right, but soon enough the Field of Methedras would be filled with the enemies. We have no time left. And even if we do, how can few elves passed through such armies?” It was true. No one could break through so many Orcs, unless they found another way to reach the King.

And then Junsu remembered, yet another thing he read from the Book of Lost Tales. It was mentioned there of a secret cave, the Crystal Cave it called, secret passage known to few and seen by less. It was used to secure an escaped path when the Last War had occurred and the White City had been surrounded.

The Crystal Cave might just be what they needed. Junsu could ask Lord Myungsoo to go and perhaps he could reach the King in time before all things had been lost. After all Lord Myungsoo was still too young to be in a war, but was not unskilled with blades should he encounter few Orcs in the cave. Quickly he fetched the young lord from the House of Harp and spoke with haste.

“You can find the entrance to the Crystal Cave at the Royal Garden, and take this sword with you. The King would not believe your words that I sent you until he saw this. This sword would shine blue if there is an Orc or goblin near you, and so you must be careful should you find any.”

“Will you not come with me, my Lord?” Lord Myungsoo asked in worry.

The King’s Consort shook his head. “Nay I fear I will not. I must stay here to protect our people. Leave now while there is still time!” He said with urgency.

He saw Lord Myungsoo nodded. “I will not fail you my Lord.” The young lord then took the offered sword and mounted his horse. It would help him to reach the castle and the Royal Garden faster, and by Valar, also the Crystal Cave.

Junsu then hurried towards the First Level of the White City, where he knew his men were still barricading the Great Gate. With ease he climbed down the ladder they had just placed to go from level to level as all other gates had been barred and barricaded. If the Orcs had reached certain level, the elves had to cut down the ladders so that at least the enemies would be halted. The Orcs had to break down the gates to advanced further into the White City.

Just when the last wooden pillars had been placed in the Great Gat, they heard the thundering hooves of the Orcs. Already the enemies arrived. Black as the dark night they came, slow as their heavy armors hinder them, but already the mere sight of their numbers brought fear to the elves. He touched his wedding band, a mithril ring decorated with diamonds and rubies, and Junsu whispered in his heart. Changmin, melamin, give me strength.

Firmly, he said to one of his men. “Bring me my bow, and fetch me a sword. The Siege of the White City has begun.”

 

-----




It was not yet dawn at Cair Andros, and there were hushed voices as elven warriors preparing for their last march. Wearing their gauntlets, plates and helmets, they took upon their knives, some their swords and bows. Mounting their horses they formed neat lines as they waited for the very command from their King.

The scouts who had ventured as close as they could to Ered Luin had returned. They came to the King. “There are great fires my Lord,” one spoke, “The vile creatures have wasted no time in using our tools and burners as they mined the mithril. Many Orcs stood at the entrance, but some seem drawn off to the mine. I believe they have seen our tents and now wait for our assault.”

“Then let us not disappoint them,” Changmin replied. Surrounded by his trusted Lords, he said, “Lord Yunho, you shall lead the First Companion, and it shall go behind the king’s banner in the centre. Jaejoong, lead your company to the right when we pass the entrance. And Yoochun shall lead his towards the left. Let the other companies behind follow these three that lead, as they have chance. Strike whenever the enemy gathers. Other plans we cannot make, for we know not yet how things stand. Ride now while the dark remains.”

The leading companies rode off as swiftly as they could, for it was still deep dark. The elven horses stepped lightly and made no sound, it was as if the horses themselves knew that they had to be still. They served as surprise attack towards the dark forces, as the King’s banner would strike and bore most of the first attack.

Changmin then galloped lightly, taking place at the front of his men. He glanced to Eric, the quiet Head Guard who had been so loyal, so faithful, so undeterred. Even now at the brink of war, Eric still had the same gaze as he always had: calm, serene, brave. It gave Changmin a little courage to see him as such. With clear the King then spoke, so that many of his men could hear him.

“Now the hour has come, my friends. Foes and fires are before you, and your homes far behind. Yet, though you fight against an army so vile, the glory that you reap today shall be your own until the end of Arda. Arise, arise, elves of Cardonna! Fell deeds awake, fire and slaughter! Shields shall be shaken; spears shall be splintered. A sword day, a red day, ere the sun rises! To the death!”

“Death!” his men battle cries echoed behind him.

The King raised his sword, gaining courage and giving them to his warriors. “Death!”

“Death!”

With a quick press of his heel, Aerwithen leaped forward. They galloped as fast as they could; thousands of elves followed him as they crossed the fields from Cair Andros to Ered Luin, horses upon a field of green. To the black sea of Goblin and Orcs they rode, whose steel spears pointed towards them. The echoes of the battle cries were still heard, as the King and elves cried once more, “Death!”



-End of Chapter Twenty-



Glossary:
Mae govannen =Well met
Meldir= my friend
Anor= sun
Valar = gods
Arda = time/earth
Ithil= moon
Melamin = My Love


Author's Note: I hope no one is confused with so many names and new places. If you are confused or wanted to know more, however, do check the Encyclopedia. I've updated it. Or you can always asked :D

Comments are love, readers!