Chapter Five

Golden Rule
Golden Rule
Chapter Five
By: Sharl




The wind was blowing gently, and often had Junsu found pleasure in them. But today there was no joy to be celebrated, no whispers in the wind as this was the last day he would see of his brother. Junho would sail when the first light of Anorhad passed. 

Junsu drew his cloak tighter, wishing for a moment he was back in the Kingdom of Sevaecia, or that at least he could sail with his brother. He would never get used to Cardonnans weather; it was too cold, too unforgiving for him. The King had mentioned that this was nearly springtime, but Junsu was sure that even summertime would be just as cold.

His eyes took account of everything around him. As always, it seemed that the one who were bothered with the coldness was only him and Junho. The Cardonnans seemed impervious as they prepared for the sailing. Young Cardonnans hurried in their way, carrying barrels of water and package of lembas wrapped in green leaf, special bread that would stay fresh for months and thus perfect for sustenance on long journeys. Some high-ranking officers were talking and gave instructions.

Somehow, a selfish part of him spoke and Junsu wished that Ithil would not rise. It marked the moment where Junho would sail, for when Ithil was high, the wind blew strongest. His brother and everything that was familiar for Junsu would be gone. He would be alone here, in the Great Kingdom of Cardonna and all its cold.

“My prince, if you wish, please go back inside the tent. The weather is too harsh for you.” Andy, Junsu’s personal guard, spoke. Like any Cardonnans, Andy seemed unaffected by the cold weather even when the cloak he was wearing was much lighter than that of Junsu’s.

Junsu did not reply. He wished to savor Anor’s light until its very end.

Andy wisely offered him a flask. “The King would have wanted you to drink miruvor, it will help to keep you warm.”

“The King is not here.” Junsu fought to keep the bitterness away from his voice, but he was sure some of it still showed, judging with the way Andy looked away out of guilty. The King had apologized earlier in the morning that he would not be able to see Junho off for he had a sudden meeting with the Council. While Junsu understood the King had his duties, he still wished that the King would be here to show some respect for his brother, especially since his twin would be The King of Sevaecia one day.

Junho had smiled understandingly at the King, saying that he understood and wished the King well.

Junsu, however, had frowned. If King Changmin wished to have a good and solid relationship with the Kingdom of Sevaecia, the least thing he could do was to show gratitude and respect. Perhaps the King thought now that the marriage had been consummated, nothing could destroy the alliance between the two kingdoms.

In a way the King was right though. There was no reason why the two kingdoms should not help each other in the upcoming war, especially since it was the sole reason this marriage was held in the first place. Junsu was suddenly reminded once again, that there were greater things to achieve rather than his own feelings and satisfaction. The fate of his people, for example. And as such, he could not afford to take dissatisfaction from such things as these.

He sighed and turned around to face his personal guard. Andy was still holding the miruvor flask. This time Junsu took the flask and drank some. The warmth pleasantly spread in his body almost instantly and Junsu thanked Andy for his thoughtfulness.

“I’m here to serve and guard you, my prince,” Andy bowed his head.

Junsu smiled gratefully. At leastthere was one person who seemed care of him. What little understanding he and the King experienced in the morning had vanished as soon as it had come. With the King’s uncaring act to his brother, Junsu thought of it as an insult to himself. Junho might forgive easily, but Junsu may not.

Gwador, where are you? Junho’s voice brushed his mind.

In here, outside, bathing in the Anor’s light.

He could hear his brother chuckled through their twin bond, amusement and fondness ran through it. Junsu relished in the feeling. His bond with Junho had been with him for so long, it was the first thing he was aware of when he was a child.

Junho appeared, a smile on his face. He also wore a thick fur coat and immediately he frowned at the cold. “How will you ever stand this weather?”

“I do not know, nor do I wish to.”

“Do not say that,” Junho cupped his cheek gently, “you will have happiness dearest one, and be a great consort for the King. I have faith in you. Do not pretend to be a child only because it suits you,” he chided almost playfully.

Junsu leaned in his brother’s hand. “Namarie, gwardor, may the Valar be with you.”

Junho then hugged him close, tight and warm. Soft kisses were placed on his head, farewell words whispered on his hear. “No galugovad gen.” They both stayed unmoving for a while, knowing full well it might be the last time they see each other for a long time. With war brewing, no one could see the future. Junho was the first one who moved and glanced behind Junsu, looking at the personal guard the King had assigned for his brother. “Guard him well, for he used to be our very own sun.”

“We will,” answered Andy. “We’ve sworn our allegiance to him and our King.”

The Sevaecian heir nodded. “Very well then, I must leave now brother.”

Junsu frowned. “But Ithil has not appeared yet.”

Junho’s smile was indulging, as if he knew what went through his brother’s mind. “Pen-vuil, when Ithil finally appeared, it means we have to set sail. As you can see, the ship is in the middle of the sea, we need to take smaller boats to reach there. And I have to go now.”

The King’s Consort looked at the open sea. There he saw a great ship with white sails and long broad panes. Her anchor kept her in place, but she was ready to set sail whenever her passengers were on board. Junsu could not help but wished he was one of them.

His thought must have resonated in their twin bond, for Junho suddenly caressed his cheek. “Have faith, brother.”

Junsu tried to smile, although all he felt was sadness and tears started to gather in his eyes. He knew he acted childishly, but still he said, “I do not think I can. He does not care for me. Gwador, must you go? Can’t you stay longer?”

We both know the answer for that, dearest one, Junho answered in their bond. He sounded sad and it made Junsu sad in return. He was also embarrassed. If it was hard for him to see his brother leaving, it was surely equally hard for Junho to leave him. He was being selfish and childish and not at all considerate. With heavy heart, Junsu watched his brother stepped into a small boat, and waved as the Cardonnan men began to row. 

The next morning, he tried to reach for his brother, but his call to their twin bond went unanswered. He realized then that not even their twin bond could cover the long distance between The Great Kingdom of Cardonna and the Kingdom of Sevaecia. 

He was truly well and alone.

 

-----




Four weeks had passed, and with each passing day, Junsu found little joy in the castle. His days were long and tedious. Without Junho by his side, he felt as if he was walking through a dark tunnel with no end in sight. He was surrounded with strangers and the man who was supposed to be his spouse pretended he was not there.

The King had visited his chamber no more since their marital night. They saw each other only on rarest moments in hallway and even then they did nothing more than awkward greeting. Junsu knew that whispers began to grow, saying that perhaps the marriage was not consummated. After all, how could the King preferred to sleep alone in cold night when he had a spouse to warm his bed?

Junsu paid the whispers no mind. He tried not to, at least, for he knew they only said hurtful things. They may say what they want, but he knew the truth.

However the loneliness in his heart remained. He could not speak with his brother and letters did not come fast enough for him. And so he spent his days alone, reading books in the Royal Library, stayed in his room or walking in the frozen gardens. Few plants had begun to bloom, but still it was not as what he had used to back in Sevaecia. It was too bare, too cold, too white. The snow also did not help. Junsu had slipped few times due to the slippery snow, and Andy was forced to stay within arm length with him.

The Court stayed well away from Junsu. They bowed and greeted him politely but other than that, nothing. Junsu did not mind. He was a stranger to them after all, he was a Sevaecian Prince and he still did his customary greeting even until now. Some of the Elders frowned whenever he greeted them in Sevaecian way but since no one reminded him that heshould not¸ Junsu pretended he did not see their frowns. In his mind, everything that might connect him to Sevaecia might help lessen his loneliness.

One day, he was reading a book he borrowed from the Royal Library when a servant announced that the Lord from the House of Harp, Dongwook, wished to seek an audience with him. Junsu frowned. He was not expecting this Lord and so he was confused. Nevertheless, Junsu had no reason to turn Lord Dongwook away.

“Send him to the drawing room at the Royal Quarters, I will meet him there.”

The servant bowed and left the room. Junsu turned around to see Andy who stood few feet away from him. “What do you think he might want? I rarely see him.”

Andy replied, “I do not know, my Lord, perhaps he only wished to say greetings to you. Or that he notices your loneliness and is being kind.”

When Junsu arrived in the drawing room, he noticed the Lord Dongwook was not alone. He had with him a man Junsu had never seen before, but bore similar resemblance towards the Lord. They must be siblings. He gave them both a Sevaecian greeting: arms crossed in front, right palm touching the left shoulder and the left palm touching the right shoulder and bowed slightly. “Mae govannen, Lord Dongwook from the House of Harp. I apologize to keep you waiting.”

Lord Dongwook and the stranger, like any Cardonnans, gave Junsu the Cardonnian greeting. They kneeled at their left knee, right hand laid flat on the right knee with their fists clenched. They spoke as one, “Mae govannen, King’s Consort Prince Junsu.” And Lord Dongwook added, “This is my brother, Seunghyun. It is us who should apologize for this sudden visit.”

Junsu gestured at them to sit. “It is a pleasure for me, my Lord. And mae govannen, Lord Seunghyun from the House of Harp.” He called for tea and miruvor¸ as he knew that Cardonnans developed a keen love towards the heady drink. In few minutes and exchanged pleasantries later, a servant brought them on a tray. Junsu chose the tea to keep himself warm. The miruvor reminded him of the King and he was not inclined to remember the man at this moment.

“Do tell me, Lord Dongwook, what is it the purpose of your visit?”

The two people from the House of Harp exchanged glances. Lord Dongwook then answered, “My King’s Consort, I wish to ask you a favor. There is a vacant position at the Council and it is necessary to have it fill as soon as possible. Especially with the war brewing with the Kingdom of Kuveth.”

Junsu frowned. This was the first time he heard of the war. “What news of it, do you know?”

“They say that an endless fire continuously burn at the heart of the Kingdom, for their weaponries work day and night. Our scouts also report of more and more evil had joined the Dark Lord’s forces. Instead of just Orcs and Goblins, he now had Trolls and Wargs. Whispers spoke that soon some dwarfs that live deep under the mountains would also join him.”

A cold fear gripped Junsu. He knew nothing of this. With his limited conversations with the King, there was no way he could have heard of it. Trolls and Wargs were dangerous creatures, their huge bodies and viciousness were well-known and if the Dark Lord had managed to gain their cooperation, it would not be long before he feels confident and will strike. 

And the first hit would of course come to the Kingdom of Cardonna, as it bordered directly with the Kingdom of Kuveth. Junsu’s heart went for the King. How heavy his burden must be, and how come he did not say anything? 

“My King’s Consort? Are you well?”

Junsu broke out from his reverie. He then smiled at Lord Dongwook and his brother. “Yes of course, I was just thinking of something. You were saying of, a vacant position at the Council?”

Lord Dongwook nodded. “Yes. And with the war brewing so soon, we feel it is a first priority to have the post filled. It has been vacant for few moons and the King did not show any indication what he would do with the vacancy. I have spoken with the King, and he said that he would announce the candidate soon. However, it has been some time and there has been no news.”

“When is the last time you spoke with the King?”

“Few weeks ago, just when your brother, Prince Junho, was leaving. The very same day.”

Junsu’s heart clenched painfully at the mention of his brother. How he missed him and wished Junho was here. But he was not here, Junsu was alone. And the King, with such heavy burden, of course he might neglect Junsu. And Junsu understood that now.

Lord Dongwook continued to speak, “I wish to seek your approval for my brother to fill the post. The King has spoken very highly of him before and I’m sure he would not mind. If you, as the King’s Consort, granted your approval, then we can speak to the Council. Perhaps… the King might have just forgotten. He has more important things on his mind right now, after all.”

It was true. The King had a lot on his mind and so he might have forgotten to announce who would fill the post. This would be a good time for Junsu to start help his King doing his duties. And Lord Dongwook even said that the King had spoken very highly of Lord Seunghyun. Junsu would speak to the King in later date, but right now he would grant his approval.

“You have my blessing, Lord Seunghyun. I wish you to do well in your new post. Lord Dongwook, I wish you to speak to the Council and have them prepare for the Ceremony to announce Lord Seunghyun’s new position.”

Both men from the House of Harp bowed low. “We thank you, King’s Consort Junsu. Hanon lles.”

Little did Junsu knew, that Lord Dongwook and Lord Seunghyun both shared victorious glances, for Junsu the King’s Consort fell right into their scheme. With the backing from the Prince of Sevaecia, they could announce that the vacant position was now Lord Seunghyun’s and the King would not have a say in it, even if he disagreed. He would not want to quarrel with his spouse, at least not in public and for that, the King would remain silent.


-End of Chapter Five-


Glossary:

Valar = gods
Arda = time/earth
Anor = sun
Ithil= moon
Namaarie = farewell
Gwador = brother
Pen-vuil = dear one
No galugovad gen = until next we meet
Hanon lle = thank you
Mae govannen =Well met