Chapter Eleven

Golden Rule
Golden Rule
Chapter Eleven
By: Sharl




His Consort was magnificent.

Changmin could not take his eyes off of him. The sight of Junsu with twin blades in his hand, thin layer of sweat covered his skin and his long, pale white hair flowed as if they had a mind of their own was enough to make the King stunned. It was as if he was under a powerful spell, enchanted with no will on his own.

He had in his hand a twin blade, each one was made with the finest mithril and its lightness provided his Consort with freedom, as if he hardly took hold of it. Leaf bladed, damasked in gold and red; and the sheaths, black, with set with small red precious gems. It was a weapon fit for a King and the Royal Blacksmith pronounced with such pride that it was one of his best masterpieces, as carving blades for the royal family was an honor.

True to his words, Junsu was skilled in the art of blades. And although Changmin had never seen him with arrows, not yet at least, he believed that Junsu was also skilled in it. There were still many things he had yet to learn of his Consort.

Yunho also chose twin blades, and his warrior skill showed clearly as he parried Junsu’s blade with ease. Perhaps the cold weather had also hindered his Consort’s movements, as his breath grew harsh much sooner than that of the Seneschal’s.

The sparring between the two brought many attentions from the guards and trainees alike, and no sooner than brief moment they had formed a circle around the two. Changmin listened with pride in his heart as the guards whispered amongst themselves that they did not expect the King’s Consort to posses such skill with blade.

“He is almost as good as our Captain.”

“Aye, and that is saying something as our Captain, our Seneschal is one of the most skilled warriors in the entire Kingdom.”

“Who would have thought?”

“Perhaps he would like to join in training of the new recruits?”


Changmin continued with satisfaction, eyes trained on the flawless movement of his Consort. With this blatant display of strength and skills, the guards would have more respect to Junsu, especially if he also took part in the training. And that was the first step onto his path as their ruler: earn the people’s respect, and you would have their undivided loyalty. It was one of the most crucial elements to build a strong country, for the strength of a Kingdom lies with her people.

But deep in his heart, Changmin knew earning his people’s respect was not enough. He still had to unite the Nobles and the Councils, for without their supports, the Great Kingdom of Cardonna would not have enough manpower and skills even though the King had the people’s loyalty. The Five Noble Houses still possessed most of the weapons and with them, came also the warriors who wielded the weapons.

The King sighed. The Council Meeting from last week had not ended well. After the disastrous first day when Lord Dongwook had opposed him and Changmin had foolishly almost lost his temper if it was not for Yoochun and Yunho, the meeting was continued the day after. 

And it steadily got worsen. Lord Dongwook and Lord Seunghyun had proposed that the Great Kingdom of Cardonna allied themselves with the Dark Lord, for it was the only way to avoid any bloodshed. It was in that moment that Changmin knew: they must have been the one who informed the Kingdom of Kuveth that Changmin would visit Cair Andros. As a result they had been attacked on their way to Gondolin and if it were not for his Consort, Changmin would have been dead by now.

The suggestion was voted down by almost every Noble house and so it did not past. But the Lord from the House of Tree wondered if Cardonna really did have the sufficient manpower to fight against the dark kingdom. And Changmin knew then that the House of Harp must be dealt with before the other houses begun to reconsider.

But how? Even in he looked until the end of Arda, he could not give an order to deal with the House of Harp unless there was a mutiny.

“Yield!” Suddenly Yunho cried and Changmin was startled. He was so lost in thoughts he did not see how the sparring went. Junsu was on his back and Yunho had a blade pointed to his neck, 

Changmin watched as his Consort’s face morphed into amazement as he replied, “I yield.”

The guards then clapped and nodded approvingly as Yunho helped the King’s Consort to stand. It was clear that they thought higher of Junsu, regardless that he had been defeated by the Seneschal. One even began to approach him and asked whether Junsu would be willing to see a couple of trainees spar, as they were most eager to show their skills to the King’s Consort.

“If the King allows me to,” said Junsu as he looked at Changmin. Perhaps it was mere politeness; nevertheless Changmin was glad that the other said that. The fact that Junsu had publicly asked for his permission in front of so many guards showed that he was willing to admit that Changmin was his King, and that he obeyed the King. 

But it was the way his Consort gazed at him that made Changmin felt something pleasant and warm spread through him. The way Junsu looked at him was marvelous. It was as if Junsu saw him as if Changmin was someone whom Junsu hold very dear in his heart and it was everything for the young king.

He nodded as he gave his permission, “It will be my pleasure.”

 

-----




The training went well at first. The trainees were quite skilled with blades and they sparred with relish. Changmin had watched with pleasure for although the trainees were still young, they showed great potential and talent. But perhaps in that same eagerness, one of the trainees moved in eagerness and accidentally cut his blade onto the other’s arm. His partner could not move fast enough to dodge and it created a long, deep gash. 

There was a moment of agonizing scream and before Changmin fully realized what had happened; his Captain, Yunho had rushed forward. Kneeling to the injured trainee, he put his coat and tied the arm to stop the blood from flowing. “Fetch a healer!” he commanded to one of the guards.

Before the guard could run for help, however, suddenly Changmin heard his Consort spoke, “Tell the healer to bringlissuin plant if he has any, it will help to slow down the blood.”

Changmin looked at Junsu in wonder. Yet another thing he had just discovered of the other and Changmin wondered how long he would still be amazed by him. That is a good thing, is it not? He thought, what better way to spend your time in Arda than with a person who is most intriguing?

And then the thought itself startled him. 

Did he wish to spend the rest of his life with his Consort? Yes they had exchanged vows and spoken loyalty to one another for the sake of ceremony but it never occurred to him to take the meaning as it really was. Junsu was the most intriguing person he had ever met and in the brief months they had been together, he had seen many different sides of his Consort.

But…to live with him and stayed with him until the end of Arda? Did he wish for it?

Yes, his heart whispered before his mind did. Yes, you do

 

-----




The lissuin plant that Junsu had mentioned earlier worked miraculously. It slowed down the blood flow just enough so that the trainee would not suffer from any major blood loss. The healer that had been called praised the King’s Consort on his quick warning, for otherwise he would not have brought the plant if it was not requested.

“How do you come to know so much of healing herbs?” Changmin called out to his Consort when they were back at their Royal Quarters. Junsu needed to change into clean robes before dining in the Great Hall later for his clothes were dirty from the training. His Consort had slipped behind a separate room and Changmin tried not to remember how beautiful Junsu had looked without his clothes on. This was not the right time of such thoughts.

“It has been remarked by some that we, the Sevaecians’ only passion is for farming. A rather unfair observation, for we have also developed a keen interest for trading and healing skills. What knowledge that I have today, is common among my people.” 

“It is indeed knowledge most useful, for in Cardonna only the healers would posses such skill,” praised Changmin.

“Thank you my Lord,” he heard Junsu replied. His Consort walked out and he had done a beautiful silken robe with emerald color. He looked good in green, Changmin thought as his eyes wandered over the other.

“Come, we should go,” Changmin said as he stood up. 

Together they walked towards the Great Hall where they would dine later. A comfortable silence settled between them and Changmin found it amusing that the silence was not as awkward as it used to be. Perhaps Junsu had really grown on him.

His mind then wandered to whom they would dine with at the Great Hall. Although the Council Meeting had been dismissed, all the Nobles were still there, as the Cardonnans would have Yule Festive in two weeks and it was foolish to ride back to their lands and stayed there for a couple of days at the most before riding back to the White City to attend the festivities.

Yule Festive was a festival most awaited for in the whole kingdom, for it celebrated the beginning of summer. As the Great Kingdom only had little time in a year for summer, they had higher appreciation for the season and so the Yule Festive tradition begun.

And with the war looming so near, the people needed festival’s help to lift their spirits. If only the nobles are as easy to be persuaded, Changmin thought with a scowl. He still had not found the way to subdue the House of Harp, for it was impossible to do so unless the House committed an act of treason at first.

Suddenly, an idea came to him. A brilliant idea, which might just border to horrible and really foolish one, but it was the only way out that Changmin had thought of. He nearly stopped in his tracks and the more he thought of the idea, the faster his heart beat. He had in his mind a plan, but before he could speak of it, there was one more crucial fact he needed to confirm so that the plan could be executed perfectly.

Changmin cleared his throat and asked his Consort, “Do you have enough skills in the ways of healing, to know what kind of plants to be used and with which poison?”

He watched in trepidation as Junsu’s eyes settled on his, confusion in his face.
 

-----




“Changmin, this is madness,” The Lord of the Golden Flower cursed as he paced back and forth in the guest room of the Royal Quarters.

The King himself tried not to sigh at his friend’s antics. Instead he casted a glance towards Yoochun, who shared the same concerned look with Yunho. His Consort, however, remained seated rigidly next to Changmin in his seat with a frown in his brow, as if he was deeply troubled.

Perhaps he is, Changmin thought, after all what I have asked of him is not the easiest task of all. In fact, my life in on his hand, quite literally.

After the dinner had ended, Changmin had summoned his Chief Advisor, his Captain and the Lord of the Golden Flower to join him and Junsu at their Royal Quarters. He had made the invitation publicly, saying that he was most keen to a game of chess that night and so the three had agreed almost immediately.

However, the game was merely a façade, for that was not what Changmin summoned them for. He wanted to explain his plan to the four people he trusted the most in the entire kingdom, and the result was as he had expected. They did not take the idea well, just as his Consort did when Changmin told him before the dinner started. But after much effort in which Changmin tried to reason with him, Junsu had finally relented, but not without heavy heart.

Havo dad, mellon-nin,” the King said to his best friend with a command in his tone, “it is no use to fret now.”

Jaejoong shot him a glare and Changmin countered it with one of his own. As childhood friends, they had known each other habits perfectly and while most of the Kingdoms would shiver under the gaze from the Lord of Golden Flower, Changmin would merely raise an eyebrow. Finally, Jaejoong sat down with a petulant huff.

“My King,” Yoochun said later, “Please, do not rush with this plan. This is most dangerous, and you play with the Valar.

“Yoochun you are exaggerating and this is unlike you. I do not play with the Valar, nor do I act as if I were one. But you, all of you, must have realized that we need to deal with the House of Harp as soon as we can. With the threat of the darkness looming over our heads, time is of the essence and there is none to lose.”

“But surely-“ Yunho began to speak, but Changmin interrupted him.

“My friends, please. Unless you have better suggestion on how to deal with this crisis, I see no other choice laid before me.”

“Changmin, you realize what you are going to do, do you not?” Jaejoong asked with exasperated tone.

Once again Changmin sighed. “Yes I do and I will explain it once more even if it is only to appease you. My Consort has been blessed with knowledge and skills in the ways of healing. I have full faith in him and it is the only reason why I would want to do this madness. I believe he will be capable to do what I ask of him, as I will do to each of you.”

Seeing that no one spoke to voice out their objection, at least not this time, the King continued to speak. “At the night of the Yule Festive, as per tradition, each of the Noble House will offer my Consort and me a glass of miruvor as a toast. And that is including the House of Harp. Jaejoong will administer a poison in Lord Dongwook’s glass which he will use to offer me and I will drink it. The poison would put me in near death and thus this act would be counted as an act of treason.”

“My Consort, as my next in line for the throne, would have to take charge and he would call out a search for the evidence. Before this happened, I need you, Yunho, to plant the evidence in the House of Harp and made sure that the evidence will be discovered during the search.”

The more he spoke of this plan, the more sound it seemed and Changmin became more convinced of it. “Yoochun, you will make sure that the House of Harp would be suitably punished for this act of…mutiny and whilst that happens, Junsu will secretly give me the antidote and by the Valar’s help, I will be awake and well.”

“You speak as if it is an easy task. What if you drink too much of the poison, or if your body is not strong enough? What if something awful happens and the King’s Consort could not give you the antidote in time? What if-“

Changmin then cut his best friend’s words. “What if the dark forces attack us when Anor rises next morning and we are not ready? They will slaughter us all, you know of this. What will become of my people? Would they have a place to hide and a time to run? What kind of King am I if I do not think what is best for my people?”

His voice began to rise at the end and suddenly Changmin felt a warm hand caressing his back. A warm, familiar hand that he recognized belongs to his Consort. Changmin was suddenly reminded the time when he wept for the first time in front of Junsu. 

He then glanced at the concerned eyes of his Consort and took a deep breath. After he felt calm enough, he spoke again, “It is a dangerous plan, I am aware of it. But at least with this, my people have a better chance to stand against the Dark Lord. If I am dead, my Consort will rule in my place and there will be no more objection from the House of Harp, as they would have been suitably punished.”


-End of Chapter Eleven-


Glossary:
Arda = time/earth
Havo dad = Sit down
Mellon-nin= my friend
Valar = gods
Anor= sun