Chapter Nine

Golden Rule
Golden Rule
Chapter Nine
By: Sharl





Changmin was awoken long before Anor had even shone her first light. The dim fireplace provided what little warmth the chamber yearned, but the heavy covers and blankets were more than enough for the King. He did not feel the cold.

He took a long deep breath, the cold air sharp against his breath and Changmin turned in his side, bringing the blanket even closer. His gaze then fell to the sleeping form of his Consort, who was still deep in his sleep and his eyes were still vacant. The sight of his Consort slept with his eyes open brought comfort to Changmin’s heart, for he still remembered a moment when those eyes were closed and the memory brought fear in his heart.

The King made use of the time to study the other, relishing in the fact that he could do so with his own free will. Junsu was an enigma to him. He had acted childish before but his willingness to learn of Cardonna showed an act of maturity. He was stubborn to the point he did not ask for help when he was frozen with cold and yet in a way it was a form of bravery. 

There were still many things Changmin wished to know of his Consort. He prayed to the Valar that there would be enough time to do so. With the darkness looming and the war brewing, every moment seemed to be passing by.

They would visit Gondolin today and for that they needed to ride out early. There were plenty of work to do at the town, including inspecting the guards and made sure the people was safe. Reports of Orcs and Wargs grew more bolder had been continuous and Changmin felt worried. Would he be able to keep his enemies at bay?

As his mind wandered to the possibilities of upcoming war, his hands began to travel towards his Consort’s fair face. Junsu’s skin felt as smooth as when he touched it for the first time, during their wedding night. He was so beautiful back then and he was now.

The memories of their first night together brought a familiar feel of wanting in him. He still remembered how great the pleasure was he claimed his Consort. He caressed Junsu’s cheek, watching as those tempting lips moaned slightly as the owner began to awake. Awareness crept on the other’s eyes and before long Changmin found himself locking eyes with the one who shared his bed. He recognized the look in Junsu’s eyes, for it was also the same look he had in his own.

Desire.

It was as if they were under a powerful spell. They were enchanted and Changmin leaned downwards, wanting to capture those lips with his own. He watched as Junsu’s eyes began to close as his Consort also leaned forward. The distance slowly began to close, and they were only a breath away when there was a knock on the door.

“My King, are you awake? It is time to go.”

Changmin bit back the curse that nearly slipped from his mouth. With a low groan, he pressed his forehead with his Consort’s and swallowed heavily. All the wanting, the desire he felt was suddenly gone and the moment was disrupted. 

With irritated feeling, Changmin reminded himself: Whoever that is at the door was merely doing his job. You cannot lose your temper on him.

“We have to go,” he whispered on his Consort’s lips and felt the other nodded in return. With that Changmin sighed and drew away.

He was just about to rise from the bed to get his robes and lifted the blankets when suddenly his Consort pulled him back. Changmin momentarily lose his balance and flopped down on the bed, but before he realized what was happening, Junsu had kissed him. 

Their lips touched for few seconds at the most before Junsu withdrew, a beautiful blush on his cheeks and an embarrassed-smile on his fair face. 

His Consort let out a small laugh, eyes looking downwards before he stood up. Changmin blinked once and stayed unmoving as he watched the retreating form of his Consort slipping between the doors into the bathroom. Did the kiss really happen or was Changmin still dreaming?

“My King?” The voice came again behind the door.

No, this was not a dream. His Consort really kissed him. The thought somehow brought warmth to Changmin’s heart and he let a smile blossomed, for now his heart was lighter. His Consort never ceased to amaze him and Changmin wondered if perhaps, he could really fall in love with Junsu.

 

-----




The snow had yet to melt and yet somehow they seem tainted by the evil, it was as if a shadow casted over the pure white snow like a dark blanket. Anor’s light could not reach far even though there was nothing that might hinder their path.

Changmin rode fast, for even though Gondolin was near they had to hurry. To reach Gondolin they had to ride fromCair Andros and crossed Ered Luin for the town lies in front of the mine. There was no danger once they have reached the town, but without the protection of any fortress in the open field, any Orcs and Wargs could reach them. 

With only fifty guards they went, the King at the front with his Consort, followed by Lord of the Golden Flower and the King’s guards. Changmin urged his horse, Aerwithen to go faster, for he had seen the worries in Eric. The head guard did not say anything, but the King knew he was worried.

Because Changmin felt it too. Something was not right. He could smell the evil around them, as if they were being followed or some evil was watching them. It was not like this the last time he went to Cair Andros. The rumors must be true then. The evil grew stronger day by day, the darkness spreading and lies closer in their doorstep.

The tension was high, they were all worried. Only the Valar knows what the war might bring, and even the High Priest could not predict the outcome of this war. Hyesung could not say when the Dark Lord Maglor will strike and so being prepare for the worst were the best thing they could do. 

Changmin casted a glance at his Consort, noting the wonder in Junsu’s eyes and somehow the sight brought Changmin’s heart to beat faster, for the memories of what happened this morning plagued him still. The feel of Junsu’s lips on his own burnt pleasantly like an addicting miruvor.

Suddenly Aerwithen grew restless. She picked up her pace and galloped even faster. Changmin frowned. “Mani marte?” he heard Junsu asked, but Changmin only shook his head, unable to answer for he did not know what happened.

And there was a cry, followed by loud roars with the sound of menacing growls of the Wargs. “Orcs!” cried Eric and Changmin watched as his head guard unsheathed his sword, the others followed at once. “Protect the King!”

At least two hundreds of Orcs, each one riding a Warg appeared from the other side of the hill. They had their swords raised, one of the leader yelled out commands in dark speech and the other Orcs immediately galloped towards the King’s party. 

Changmin cursed as he saw those foul creatures. With only fifty guards they were outnumbered four to one at least. 

But some of the guards had begun firing arrows and they managed to kill few of the Orcs before they were within sword distance. It should reduce the enemies’ numbers and balance the odds better. At the corner of his eyes he saw Andy ushered Junsu to a safe place and it put some peace to Changmin’s mind. At least his Consort would be safe.

“Request help from Gondolin!” he heard Jaejoong gave command. One of the guards with the fastest horse immediately galloped towards Gondolin, for although it was already near there was no way the King could outrun the attack. They had no choice, they had to stand guard and it was better to kill these Orcs before they could reach town.

Soon the sound of swords clashing filled the air. Only Eric and two guards remained with Changmin, the others were already scattered as they fight the enemy. Changmin slashed his sword to a Warg, dismounting an Orc on top of it and Jaejoong beheaded the Orc from behind, the head rolled pitifully on the ground. But there was no time to lose. Another Orc threw his spear and narrowly missed Changmin’s shoulder.

The Orc charged towards the King and Changmin readied himself. But then suddenly a Warg attacked him and the King had to fend off those fangs with his sword. 

From the corner of his eyes Changmin saw the Orc came to him, his scimitar raised to slit Changmin’s throat. From ten leagues away he heard Jaejoong shouted to Eric, reminding him that the King was in danger but Eric was too far away. He was battling two Orcs at the same time and he would not reach the King.

Changmin had to move now, he knew it, but the Warg was still pushing at him and if Changmin let go of his sword now, the Warg would sink its teeth in him. 

It was as if things unfolded in slow motion. Changmin watched with widened eyes as the Orc snarled, the scimitar was raised higher and higher and ready to come down on him. In any moment now, Changmin would be dead. 

Suddenly the Orc let out a horrible screech. Dark Orc blood gushing to Changmin’s face and it was only then that Changmin realized the Orc had a sword sticking out from his chest. And then the sword was pulled out and the Orc slumped dead. A loud roar came from the Warg and soon it too, was dead with a sword in its chest.

Confused, Changmin looked towards his Consort’s face. An elvish blade was in Junsu’s hand, presumably taken from a dead guard. Behind him stood Andy, covered in blood and an arrow was knocked tightly onto his bow.

“Come,” he heard Junsu spoke, “This is not the time to be idle. There are still many of these foul creatures that we have to hunt.”

 

-----




Changmin was pacing at the great hall of Gondolin, a goblet filled with wine in his hand but he did not the drink it, for his mind was still in turmoil. Junsu sat at one of the long tables, speaking in low voices with Andy who was wincing when his wounds were treated by another guard. Andy had the misfortune of being slightly grazed by a Morgul blade but the wound was not deep. 

It was only a scratch, Andy had said when Changmin asked him of the wound.

But Andy was not the only one who was injured. Out of the fifty guards who came with them, thirty were dead. It was not a bad odds considering they were fighting against two hundreds Orcs and Wargs, Changmin knew of this. However, the fact that they dared to attack in the middle of the day, with so many numbers bothered him. Two hundred was not a number that a mere scout or raiding party would be easily mustered. 

It means that they must have been prepared for the attack, and that they knew that the King himself would be there. Someone must have told them and the words must have come from the Cardonna side. As to whom that might have leaked it to them, Changmin could have easily guessed. 

He sighed and took a seat next to his Consort. Perhaps he was mistaken. Perhaps there was no one who told the dark kingdom and that what happened today was a mere coincidence. Perhaps the dark forces really were ready for the war.

A plate of bread and cheese with fruits was offered to him. Changmin nodded his thanks towards Junsu and took a piece of bread. Taking a bite on it, his gaze then fell to his Consort. “Thank you for saving my life. I did not know you are skilled with a sword,” Changmin said, amazement in his voice.

To his utter pleasure, his Consort merely smiled playfully and boasted, “I have better hands on blade and arrows my Lord, but to answer your question, there is still much that you know not of me.”

Changmin laughed, the sound was foreign in his ears for it was only moments ago he was worried of the Dark Kingdom. But now with Junsu besides him, they jested and his Consort was able to make him smile. “Well then,” he replied, “It seems that I have to give you blades and arrows soon. One day you have to spar with Yunho, for he is also skilled with blades.”

The other bowed his head slightly. “As you wish my Lord.”

Jaejoong then spoke, his voice laced with worried as he said, “Changmin, I wish to remain in Gondolin for the time being, at least until I am sure that our people here will be safe. Or do you think we should evacuate them so that only the guards remained?”

Changmin nodded. The suggestion was sound in his ears. “I think that would be the best. The people can be evacuated toCair Andros and I will send more guards to help you. We have lost thirty Elves today, and we need as much as we can spare to stand guard in Gondolin.”

He then looked towards his Consort. “We need to go back. We must unite the Houses and the Council. Valar knows how long we can survive against the Dark Lord if we are not united. We ride on the first light tomorrow.”


-End of Chapter Nine-


Glossary:
Valar = gods
Mani marte = What happened