Chapter One

Golden Rule

Author's Note: Gosh, finally chapter one is here! Writing one chapter for 'Golden Rule' is three times more time-consuming than 'Half of The Moon'. I have to keep rewrite and reread everything to make sure it's written in the old-fashioned way, but I do hope it's worth it tough! ^^ Enjoy the chapter and happy reading guys! Oh, and glossary for the Elvish words is at the end of chapter.

 

Golden Rule
Chapter One
By: Sharl





The wind blew gently, teasing the leaves high up on the trees around him and Junsu laughed as Mirieth, his mare let out a playful snort. No doubt she had sniffed at the scent of flowers around them and perhaps some of the pollens had tickled her nose. The summer breeze undoubtedly had carried the scent high in the air as every flower, both wild and nurtured ones, seemed to be determined to open their colorful petals as wide as possible. 

Junsu touched Mirieth, brushing against her shiny skin and loosened his hold on her reins. He supposed he could spoil her just this once, happy to let her choose the pace she wanted to run in. The grasses were green and the soil was soft. And thus, there was no danger that could make her stumble and fall. It would also give him the chance to enjoy his surroundings, only The Valar knew when he could set foot again in his beloved Kingdom. 

When he rode from the stables this morning, he only wanted to enjoy the summer in Sevaecia to the fullest. Riding with his beloved mare was an obvious choice for he could be with her no more once he has crossed the sea to the Kingdom of Cardonna three nights away from now. The journey would tire her and she was no longer young. 

Brother, suddenly Junho’s voice brushed against his mind, Ada is looking for you.

Junsu heaved a sigh. I am riding with Mirieth, gwador-nin, will you deny me this last pleasure?

He could hear Junho laughed shortly, but his hope was vanished when the twin replied, the messengers from Cardonna have just arrived and they wish to pay their respects to you as their future ruler.

I will be with them until the end of Arda, surely their respect can wait.
 Junsu then closed their twin bond slightly, making it clear that he did not want to be interrupted again. Junho would understand, he always does and perhaps he would even give their father an excuse as to why Junsu had not returned yet. But alas, even Mirieth was on his father’s side today. The second prince cursed under his breath when his mare chose to run east alongside the river. It would lead them to the clearing next the city gate, and in the city lays the castle. 

“My friend, this road will bring us to the castle. I do not wish to return yet.”

Mirieth gave her master a low neigh, as if saying that he should not neglect his royal duties and attended to their guests at once. The sun was high in the sky and she galloped at full speed, knowing it would be cool and shady in her stable. She yearned to rest, for they have been riding since dawn and she was no longer a young mare. 

They crossed the gate and entered the busy market streets. Hawkers and pedestrians alike stepped away as soon as they caught glimpse of their prince in a hurry. They had seen the Cardonnians, as what the people from Kingdom of Cardonna called themselves, arrived earlier that morning, clad in thick, heavy fur and foreign clothing. They were all heavily built and dark skinned, and it made them stood out amongst the paler Sevaecian people. Whispers and commotions grew until the foreigners entered the castle gate, where they would remain as guests of the King. 

Junsu urged Mirieth to slow down. Her fast pace had made few pedestrians stumbled into each other and Junsu shouted an apology to them. But Mirieth did not stop. She continued galloping until they reached the castle’s gate where she trotted to a stop. A guard came hurried to their side, taking the mare’s reins as another one came with a message. “My prince, the King has requested your presence in the Hall of Fire immediately.”

“Are the envoy from Cardonna there as well?”

“Yes my lord, I believe so.”

“Tell me father I will be there soon. I need to bathe and prepare myself,” Junsu replied, “And please ask the stable boy to give Mirieth a wash up.” He figured it would be a suitable punishment for the mare, she hated bath above all else. He smiled as he trudged up the stairs, Mirieth whined behind him.

Junsu would choose a pair of simple tunic and leggings if he could, but his father would undoubtedly be angrier and thus he donned on a dark blue robe with their family’s crest, The Golden Flower, embroidered in the middle. It would emphasize his status as a Second Prince. 

Gwador? He brushed his twin’s mind. Are you in the Hall of Fire?

Yes I am, we are waiting for you.

Junsu reassured his brother that he was on his way there. He felt better knowing his older brother would be in the same room with him. These Cardonnians, from what he had heard, were very unwelcome towards strangers and although he would be their future ruler, only The Valar knew how they would treat him. It all depended on how the King himself would treat Junsu, with respect, loath, cold gesture or mere awkwardness?

He hated to admit it, but within this alliance, The Sevaecia would benefit more than The Cardonna. 

A herald announced his arrival and all the conversations were halted as he entered. Junsu spared quick look towards the envoys, noting how heavily built and dark they all look, but he greeted his father and brother first. He crossed his arms in front of him; right palm touching the left shoulder and his left palm touched the right shoulder, and bowed down. This was the Sevaecians’ customary greeting, one thing he wished to continue doing even after he was in Kingdom of Cardonna. 

“My son,” his father spoke, “you should know better than venture beyond the castle’s walls by yourself. The darkness grows closer at our border; many would wish to harm you.”

“I only rode with Mirieth father, for I will leave her soon.”

The King nodded, but the harsh lines on his aged face remained. “Promise me, you will take few guards with you in the future.”

Junsu frowned. His father was always concerned for his sons’ well-being and protection, but this would be the first time he seemed to be very bothered. Most of the time he trusted his sons enough to let them go as they wished, the only request was to leave word as to where they would go, preferably within the city gates although sometimes both Junsu and Junho would go to the forest near the river. Why would this time be different? Is it because of Junsu’s upcoming marriage?

The King must have seen the baffled look on his face, for Junsu heard him spoke next, “Saes, ion-nin.

The Second Prince then nodded. “I promise, Ada.

His father smiled and Junho flooded their twin bond with immense satisfaction, glad that Junsu was not keen on arguing with their father. Junsu turned around, facing the envoys from the Kingdom of Cardonna, all of who were watching him in silent. He repeated the Sevaecians’ greeting to them. “I am sorry for the long wait. Mae govannen, I am Junsu, Second Prince from the Kingdom of Sevaecia.”

In a flash, the envoys moved as one, they kneeled on their left knee, right hand laid flat over their right knee with fist clenched. One of them, the leader for he was the heaviest built amongst them, spoke, “Saesa omentien lle, my prince. I am Eric, Head Guard of The Royal Family from the Great Kingdom of Cardonna. I am to protect you from any danger, my lord, as you will join our Royal Family soon.” 

He then shouted something, and one of the men behind him moved forward, a heavily gilded chest on hand. “This is a personal gift from our king to you, my prince. A coat made from the finest and warmest Cardonnians fur, and few books on the history of Arda.”

Junsu was surprised. He loved to read and among all subjects, he loved history best but not many people knew that. And those books were rare, not even his father’s libraries have them all. To think that the young king of Cardonna had made such efforts surprised him. “Please convey my gratitude to him. These gifts are most precious to me, as they were given by him personally,” he answered, “I will take good care of them. Not many people know my fondness to read histories.”

Eric gave him a polite smile. “If I may be so bold, you should say it to him by yourself, my prince. I believe he would love to hear it.”

 

-----




The sea at night was as dark as the night itself. It made one so curious, long to see what lay under the rippling waves. 

Junsu found himself leaning on the railing, watching what little he could see of the endless darkness below swirled and played beneath the ship. The stars’ and the moon’s light were reflected in them and it was fascinating for him. He thought of the folklore of old. Perhaps it was true what they say, that in the deepest ocean lived a giant creature, so big that it could sink a ship in just one swoop from its mighty arms, or perhaps the stories of a secret door that could lead to another world.

“My prince, you should be resting,” Eric’s voice brought him away from his musings. Junsu turned to see the Head Guard approached him slowly, a thick fur coat (the one that was given from the King), was in his hand. “We will arrive at the shore early tomorrow, you should get what rest you could.”

The Second Prince donned the coat obligingly, for the weather had gone chillier the further they sailed. “I am not yet married to your king, and yet you already treat me as if I already do,” Junsu teased the other. “You are very good at your duties, the King is lucky to have you.”

Eric acknowledged the compliment with a slight bow. “Our King is young but kind and wise. I consider it an honor to serve for him.”

Junsu gave him a polite smile. “I should take your words now and rest,” he said as he walked across the main deck towards the great cabin. “Is my brother there?”

“I believe Prince Junho is still in the infirmary, the sea has not been kind to him.”

The prince stopped in his steps and asked, “He has not recovered?” Junho was not used from all the motions in the ship, and Junsu knew he has not been feeling well since they set sail but that was hours ago. He said that he will feel better if he lies down.

“One does not recover from seasick, my prince, at least not until we land ashore.”

“Very well, I will spend the night in the infirmary with my brother.”

Junho was pale, even in the dim candle light Junsu could clearly see that his brother was suffering. Gwador, are you alright? He flooded their bond with assurances and comfort, knowing it would please the older twin greatly. And it did, Junho smiled even as his eyes remained closed. Junsu caressed his brother’s hair, placing a soft kiss on the damp forehead and whispered to his mind, I will stay with you tonight, sleep well.

The next morning, the sun was not yet high when the captain called for land. True to Eric’s words, Junho seemed to be better when the ship had anchored, and he was almost himself again by the time they switched to smaller boats. Dozens of Cardonnian men, each wore a thick fur coat, sat tall on their horses. They all descended when the Sevaecian’s envoys were close to the shore. The leader amongst them, marked by a distinguished color on his inner coat, stepped closer to them.

He kneeled down on the ground and did the Cardonnian’s customary greeting, with the men behind him followed suit. “Mae govannen. I am Yunho, The Seneschal from the Great Kingdom of Cardonna. The king bids me to you to the castle grounds.”

Junsu was about to bow back to the seneschal and his men when he heard sudden commotions coming towards them. Few riders galloped in fast pace along the shore. Eric and some of his men moved in a flash, their swords drawn and they stepped in front of the royal Saevacians, ready to protect them if necessary. But there was no need for that, for one of Yunho’s men suddenly shouted, “It’s King Changmin! The King is here!”


-End of Chapter One-

Glossary:
Valar = gods
Ada = father
Arda = time/earth
Gwador-nin = my brother
Gwador = brother
Saes, ion-nin = Please, my son
Mae govannen =Well met
Saesa omentien lle = Pleasure meeting you