Chapter Nineteen

Golden Rule
Golden Rule
Chapter Nineteen
By: Sharl





Changmin rarely ever worn his metal armor, for he never felt the need to do so. He himself preferred the armor used by forest-dwellers; mostly consisted of leather and offered little protection, as the chief element in their attacks was to hide beneath the shadows of the trees and ambushed their enemies.

But today he wore his metal armor proudly. It was made from the finest mithril, and so it was light yet strong. On the plate was the decorated symbol of the House of King, just below the symbol of their Great Kingdom of Cardonna. On both of his gauntlets were the symbols of the Five Noble Houses, as they were the arms of the King’s, and had sworn their loyalties to protect and served. Beneath the metal armor was the chainmail undershirt. This too, was made from mithril.

The King knew that he wore the best armor that ever been made in Elven history. But he also knew that there was still one sword on Arda that could pierce through it: the Anglachel.

The sword wielded by the Dark Lord Maglor. Few had seen the sword and lived to tell the tale. It was said that the Dark Lord forged the sword from the iron that fell from heaven as a flaming star, in the eternal fire in his kingdom. The sword was fierce and bloodthirsty, drinking the blood of those it slain.

The mere thought of the Dark Lord brought fear in Changmin’s heart. In the count of days, he would face the Dark Lord himself. Only Valar knows how he will survive.

Sometimes he wished that his fate was not as such. Why could he not live his days as his forefathers, who had lived their lives fully on Arda before sailing to Valinor, the Undying Lands where all Elves would sail when they heard its call. Why did he have to face the Dark Lord? What power did he have? He was a mere ninety-four summers, a mere child compared to the other Elves. His father himself was almost six hundred summers when he sailed.

Changmin had just found his happiness, and now he would fight a battle unheard before in Elven history. The Dark Lord had grown stronger, his forces more terrible. They had taken Gondolin without so much of a fight, while Changmin knew that Gondolin was one of the best defended cities in Cardonna, for Jaejoong had guarded it and made it impenetrable. The Lord from the House of Golden Flower had trained his men to be the best warriors, they wielded their blades and shoot their arrows.

Then how come they had lost? Perhaps the Dark lord’s forces were beyond their reach. And if the Dark Lord was able to claim Gondolin with so little effort, then perhaps Changmin was sending his men to their doom. Perhaps this was a battle that cannot be won.

Suddenly, someone touched his arm, and Changmin found himself gazed on the beautiful face of his Consort. Junsu’s eyes were bright, and in them the King found some hope. Still, it was not enough. Knowing that there was no one else in his chamber, he threw his arms around his Consort.

Almost immediately his Consort’s arms wound themselves around Changmin and engulfed him in a tight embrace in return. Changmin felt tears began to form, for it was only in the arms of Junsu’s that he ever cried, and allowed himself to be the young elf that he really was.

“I have no courage,” he whispered on the other’s ear, “I am afraid.”

He felt the hold around him tightened. “So am I, my King,” he heard Junsu spoke, his voice soft and yet held a glimmer of hope. “But a wise man once told me that it was alright to feel afraid, for there will be no courage if there is no fear.”

At that, Changmin could not help but smile. He let the other go, and found his Consort to be relieved when he saw the King’s smile. Changmin placed his armored hand on the other’s cheek, wishing for a brief moment that he had not worn his gauntlet, for he wished to touch his beloved’s skin. Changmin then said, “A wise man indeed; who was it who speak such wisdom?”

“I found it written in The Book of Lost Tales, one of the books that Eric brought back in Sevaecia when he first came to see me. He said those are personal gifts from you, melamin.”

Changmin remembered them. He had spent days wondering what would be fine gifts for Prince Junsu from the Kingdom of Sevaecia, whom he would marry and yet never meet. When he found that the prince was well-learnt, he had given them the books containing History of Arda and a fur coat to prepare him of the cold.

“I am glad that you read them,” he spoke. The passing words had somehow calmed him. They spoke as if there was no danger ahead, as if it today was just as any day, filled with trivial words and smiles, wondering what they could learn of each other. Perhaps it was his Consort’s way to send away the fear in Changmin’s heart, and for that Changmin was grateful. His Consort was indeed magnificent, and he prayed for the Valar that they might meet again.

A knock on the door was then heard, alongside Yunho’s voice. “My Lords, the men are waiting for you.”

Changmin sighed. “Come, melamin, we must go, to whatever fate that awaits us.”

He watched as his Consort walked towards the table and he brought him his helmet and shield. He then stood still as Junsu placed the helmet on him, where it covered his head’s sides. With a firm grip he handed Changmin his shield, and as Changmin wore it he saw the carvings on the inside. Anor calúva tielyanna.

The sun shall shine on your path.

 

-----




They held hands until they reached the castle’s gate, where then Changmin stood still. Behind this gate was the courtyard, where his men were waiting, six thousand strong. Two thousand more waited at Cair Andros. The Dark Lord’s forces was said to be fifteen thousand, and with them they ride Wargs, the canine beasts who could tear into Elven flesh. The scout had also brought words that the Orcs now had joined forces with mountain trolls, whose greediness over gold was well known.

It was not a good odd. But Changmin knew he must held hope. His men, his warriors were all brave and strong, they were the finest warriors in Arda, for that he was sure of. His men all looked upon him for guidance, and he must not fail them, no matter what his real thought might be.

Changmin’s gaze then fell to his Consort, and to the figure that constantly followed him: Andy, the second in command in the Royal Guard. As his duty was to protect the King’s Consort, he also would be left behind. With strong, clear words, the King addressed him. “I have no foresight, meldir, yet in my heart I hope you will keep my Consort safe. Stay with him, keep him away from harm, for he holds my heart and the only one that can lead Cardonna if all things have been lost.”

Andy bowed, hand upon his heart. “I will serve you, your Consort and our people to the best of my ability, my King.”

“Hanon lle,” Changmin spoke truthfully.

Eric then handed the King an Elven longbow, a marvel to behold by all races for Elves had mastered the making and using of bows. A quiver was strapped on Changmin’s back, alongside his bow so that his hand was free to hold on a pair of twin blades. And now the preparation was complete.

The King then nodded to the guards alongside the gate, and they pulled it open. Anor was bright in the sky and it gave Changmin some courage that he needed. Outside at the courtyard, he saw his men were waiting for him, all were ready on their horses.

Aerwithen was brought forward by a stable boy, who was too young to join the army and so he was not in the armor. The Elven horse neighed when Changmin touched him, as if it was trying to show his impatience to ride to battle and it brought quiet chuckle to the surrounding warriors. With swift grace Changmin mounted the horse and he gave signal to Yunho, who nodded in return. With one final glance to his Consort, Changmin rode and heard his seneschal shouted behind before all warriors followed him as they ride to battle,

“Elves of Cardonna. Oaths you have taken. Now it is the time to fulfill them all. To the land, and to the King!”



-End of Chapter Nineteen-


Glossary:
Arda = time/earth
Melamin = My Love
Meldir= my friend
Hanon lle = thank you
Valar = gods
Anor= sun
Anor calúva tielyanna = the sun shall shine on your path



Author's Note: Short, I know, but I wanted to give Changmin some final moment before he rides to his doom xD