Chapter Eighteen

Golden Rule
Golden Rule
Chapter Eighteen
By: Sharl




The Council Room was not in its usual solemn state. Ithil was still in the sky, and as night slowly turned into day, Changmin listened to the scout’s report. There was nothing to be done, the scout said, the dark forces came in full strength, ten thousand strong, and Gondolin was not able to hold them off. Their forces only numbered fifteen hundred at most, and with Lord Jaejoong away at the White City, his second in command, was not able to take his place. In the end the second in command made a choice: he ordered that they would retreat to Cair Andros, where there was another two thousand elves stood guard and send the scout to the King.

Changmin listened to the report with heavy heart. Sadness, guilt, mixed with anger, plagued him. “What about the people of Gondolin? Are they able to escape?”

The scout bowed low. “Those who can escape have retreated to Cair Andros, my Lord, but they number few.”

The King nodded. He gestured at the scout, “Hanon lle, you may go now. Rest, for you are weary and your journey was long. Quel Kaima.” The scout bowed once again and left the Council Room, leaving all murmurings behind him as the Lords and Advisors spoke amongst themselves.

Changmin glanced at the unmoving form of his Consort who sat quietly at the alcove. Once again, as the King’s Consort, Junsu watched how the meeting went, in which he had to remain silent and merely oversee the Council Meeting. At that moment, Changmin wished Junsu could be seated next to him, for he needed comfort from his Consort the most. Now that the war was unto them, the young king found himself to be at lost.

Ada, if you were here? What would you do?

Sighing, he wished for guidance, but none came. Finally he asked to the seneschal, “What of Lord Jaejoong?”

Yunho replied at once, “He is on his way to Cair Andros my Lord, the men from the House of the Golden Flower with him. He apologized for not being able to attend the meeting.”

Changmin nodded. Jaejoong was right to leave, he was needed in Cair Andros, as it was his house who was attacked. If he had not yet gone, Changmin would have sent him immediately. Jaejoong would also prepare for the war and made necessary defenses until the King’s army arrived.

Now that the Dark Lord had taken over Gondolin, surely their main target was not the White City, but of the mithril mine, Ered Luin. And since Gondolin had fallen, there was nothing standing in their way to get the mine and all its’ richness. That was what worried Changmin the most. Ered Luin was the only mithril mine in all of Arda. There was none other. Whoever had control of the mine, had mithril in their disposal and it would turn the tide of this war, formithril was the finest and hardest metal. It could be harnessed into the strongest weapons.

The decision now lay clear in front of him. Cardonna would need to regain the control of the mine. Changmin then stood up, and all murmurs around the chamber stopped. “Prepare our army. I want them armed and ready to march within one week.”

“But my Lord, there are too many. They cannot all be armed in time, we do not have the means!” said one of the Lords from the House of Tree. “It can be done in two weeks at the fastest.”

“The longer the Dark Lord took possession of Ered Luin, the more mithril he would have mined and the harder it would be to defeat him,” Changmin said, his words bore no room for argue, “Work the furnace day and night, used all mithril we have left in the barracks and at the blacksmith. Abandoned the trade agreements we have made with other Kingdoms. Yoochun, you will oversee this proceeding. Send letters to apologize, we will not trade any mithril until we have regained the control of Ered Luin.

Yoochun bowed, replying that he understood and it would be done. “The last shipment from Ered Luin came to the White City only three days ago my King, it will be enough to arm our men and give them what they need.”

“Very well. See that it is done. My Five Noble Houses, do you swear your allegiance to me?” Changmin asked as he gazed around the chamber, particularly at Lord Myungsoo, the distant cousin of Lord Dongwook and now the head from the House of Harp.

In a flash, every lord from every noble house, including Lord Myungsoo then stood, bowing before kneeling at their left knee, right hand laid flat over their right knee with their fists clenched. It was the customary greeting of Cardonna, and with it, they spoke as one, “An oath we have taken, and an oath we will fulfill. We will die for you, King Changmin from the Great Kingdom of Cardonna, and for our Kingdom and people.”

“May the Valar guide us with their light.”

“May the Valar guide us with their light,” they echoed after the King’s words.

 

-----




Junsu opened the door of the Royal Chamber. He had been looking throughout the castle for his husband, for he had something with him, something he wished he could give to the King. The Royal Blacksmith had made it in hurry, and finally it was done in time. It had been six days since the fall of Gondolin. Tomorrow the King would ride to Cair Andros and he would take Cardonnan’s army with him. Before he left however, Junsu had hoped that he could speak to the King.

He found his husband in their room, standing as he looked outwards to the dark night. Junsu felt his heart began to beat faster as he watched the King turned around, a tired smile on his face. The King looked tired, but it was understandable as the burden must be heavy for him. However his husband still smiled reassuringly, his eyes still shone with happiness as he took form of Junsu who stepped closer to him.

They shared a quick kiss before Junsu felt the arms around him tightened. The King did not say anything, he merely held Junsu in his arms, but Junsu understood. There was no need for words, for they knew it was not necessary. Words would only spoil the moment, as it might be the last time they could be in each other’s arms.

It was long before the King move. He walked to the chair in front of the fireplace where there was a sheathed sword which he then gave to Junsu. “I wish to give you this,” said the King, “a blade made by my ancestors.”

Junsu unsheathed the sword. It felt light, had an almost perfect balance and he had wielded a sword long enough to know that the one in his hand was most precious. It was no doubt made of mithril, for it was light and yet sharp. It shone as it caught the fire’s light.

“It would shine blue if there is an Orc or Goblin near you. May it serve you good in the moment of your need.”

Junsu bowed, feeling honored that he had been given such gift. He then remembered what he had to give. He reached inside his robes, and brought out a small box. He gave it to the puzzled King, who opened it immediately. Inside was a pair of golden chains, with a pendant, symbol of The House of King, made of silver, hung from it.

“I wish it could be made of mithril, but I know the mithril should be used for better purpose,” Junsu explained, ”This serves as a sign my King, that I vowed my loyalty and life to you. My life is yours, and you shall use it as you will see fit.”

“Oh melamin, I do not need a token to know that you love me,” said the King, but in his eyes Junsu read his happiness. He watched as the King took one of the pairs, examining the symbol closer. “The House of the King, in which you are a part of it.”

“And it is to that very symbol, that we will sacrifice our lives for.”

At that the King frowned. He put down the boxes and spoke, “Junsu, I need you to stay here. Our people will need guidance. If you come with me, I fear you will only serve as distraction, and take my mind away from my sword. I would fight better knowing that you are safe.”

Junsu took one step back, distancing himself and the King. “You do not wish me to be with you?”

“Ai meleth, it is not that. You know that I love you, I’ve said the words again and again, but who will guide the people if you also come with me? They need you here.”

Junsu was troubled. He turned his back to the King. He was not pleased at what the King asked of him. If he would die, he would rather die besides the one he loved, not be trapped in the White City, left behind as if he was an invalid. But deep in his heart, he knew what the King said to be true. The King had learnt from what had happened to Gondolin, of what it would be like if there was no Lord to guide the people. There were only confusion left, and very few would have escaped.

Does this mean that the King thought that the battle was lost before it even begun? Junsu wished it was not the case. However it did not change the fact that the King had decided that Junsu would not come with him.

An arm touched his waist, and Junsu’s eyes watered as he leaned back against his King. This night was to be their last night together then, only Valar knows when he could see his husband again, if he survived the war. His heart yearned to be with his King, to protect him as he did once before.

“I wish it did not have to be this way,” he whispered.

The arms around him tightened, and he heard the King sighed. “Melamin, do not make this harder for me.”

Junsu closed his eyes, feeling guilty that he had only added more burdens to his husband, where it should be lessened instead. Turning around so that he faced the King, Junsu tried to smile as he apologized, “Goheno nin. I will stay here if it eases your mind, my Lord, as you wished it to be.”

A look of relieve came over the King, and it was enough for Junsu to know that he had made the right decision. He would do whatever it takes to lessen the King’s burden, no matter how small or unimportant it might seem, for he hold his husband dear the most.

May the Valar guide us with their light.



-End of Chapter Eighteen-

Glossary:
Valar = gods
Ada = father
Arda = time/earth
Melamin = My Love
Quel Kaima = Rest well
Hanon lle = thank you
Goheno nin = forgive me
Melleth = My Love