Chapter Eight

Golden Rule
Golden Rule
Chapter Eight
By: Sharl




When Junsu woke up, he did not notice the unfamiliar bed, the lavish décor inside the room or even the bright scenery outside the window. What struck him as bizarre and made him startle was the King’s tight arms around his own form. Junsu gulped.

Oh dear Valar, what on Arda has happened?

His mind whirled as he tried to remember what might have happened. They were on a journey to Cair Andros which meant that perhaps he was in Cair Andros after all. He remembered being cold and had refused to drink miruvor that Andy had offered him and they had spent the night out in the cold. And then the King had waked him. And Junsu had said something in return.

Now, as he remembered what he had said, Junsu blushed. He had accused the King for unknown reasons and he had let his tendency to be dramatic got the better of him. The King would not be pleased. He had hated Junsu now and he would hate him more. Junsu sighed.

“You are awake,” said the King suddenly.

Junsu was startled. He did not hear the King was awake. Immediately he bowed his head and said, “Yes I am.” And with his gaze still averted low, he saw the King’s body and blushed again. Thinking fast on his end, Junsu stammered, “I…I wish to apologize.”

The King did not say anything and Junsu feared him for a brief moment. Perhaps the King was so angry? Of course he was, Junsu had behaved so shamefully. He was a Prince and he should not have acted so childish regardless of what the King had put him through. He swallowed hard and his body shivered. What would the King do? Would he deprive Junsu for his Sevaecian cloak next? Or would he imprison him for punishment?

“’Tis me who should apologize.”

Junsu blinked. Perhaps he had heard wrong. Glancing up, he saw the uncomfortable look on the King’s young face. He watched as the King said again, “I acted cruel and had let you suffer in cold, even forbid you to wear warm cloak and robes.”

The King then looked away and Junsu saw his fist tightened on the silk sheet. “I had let anger and pride held the better of me.”

Junsu knew not what to say, for he did not expect the King would apologize. But it was the King’s next words that startled him. “I am a failure of a husband, even more so as a King for I could not care and had acted foolishly.” He saw the tightened lip and at that moment the King seemed much older, wearier, than his young age.

Junsu’s heart ached. “No my King,” suddenly the words flowed down his mouth and Junsu stared at the King, “please, do not speak of such things. I am at fault and it is me who should apologize. I had...” he swallowed hard, “I had meddled with the Court when I have no right to.”

He then bowed his head. “I speak truth when I say this my Lord: I have no ill intention to cause disturbance within your Court. I acted without thought.” His mind wandered to the moment when he said that he only had one King and his face flushed. “I had said things, cruel things that I did not mean and for that I apologize.”

He would have spoken more, but he began to feel the cold crawling on his form and Junsu shivered. The King seemed to have taken notice for he lifted the heavy covers and gestured at Junsu to slip underneath. Junsu obeyed; and he tried hard not to flush when the King wrapped his arms around Junsu. “You are still not well,” he heard the King said, “rest until you feel better.”

Junsu nodded for he was suddenly tongue-tied when he felt the King’s hot breath against his skin. 

The two lay for a moment, before the King spoke again. “It seems that we have much to speak of one another. We have started on bad terms and let things went downhill from then on.” He then looked towards Junsu, a hint of curiosity in his eyes. “Tell me of yourself Junsu, so I might know you better.”

“I have nothing that might interest you my Lord.”

“Of course you do. Please do indulge me. Tell me of yourself: what are your passions, what do you do in your free time.”

Junsu looked away and thought hard. He did not have any particular passion that the King had not known before. He loved to read but the King had known that, otherwise he would not have sent him books as his first gift. “I spend my time in your library,” he said finally, “There are so many books I have not read and I found pleasure in them.”

The King nodded, but then he frowned as if he remembered something unpleasant. “But please do take caution when you walk in the gardens, Andy might not always be there in time.”

This time it was Junsu who frowned. How could the King know that he sometimes walked in the gardens and that the slippery ice had sometimes made him slip? Or perhaps…had the King know more of him than Junsu was aware of? 

The thought brought warm to his heart, and a shameful feeling trickled inside. The King seemed to have vast knowledge of him; and yet Junsu did not. He gazed at the King and asked, “What of you my King? Tell me of yourself.”

“I have nothing that might interest you my Consort.”

“But-“ the protest was at the tip of his tongue and Junsu managed to see a playful glint in the King’s eyes. The King was joking, mirroring what Junsu had said earlier and a hint of smile blossomed on his face. Junsu let out a small laugh, which brought a chuckle from the King.

“I was born ninety winters ago, and when my father died I assumed the throne. I spend my days learning how to fulfill my duty as the King, and from that I found many skills which I am lacking.” 

“And…and of the Council my King? May I know what set you amiss with Lord Seunghyun’s assuming the vacant position?”

The King smiled sadly. “I will tell you, but perhaps this is not the time. You need your rest and I am keeping you from it.” He then untwined his arms around Junsu and stood up, gathering his robe. “I have to go my Consort, for still I have my duties. I will ask the servants to bring you breakfast. Sleep now. Quel Kaima.” 

The King then leaned forward, placing a kiss on Junsu’s forehead. It was an awkward kiss, reflecting their awkward second chance, but it brought hope to Junsu’s heart. 

 

-----




Junsu gazed over the expanse of Cair Andros, taking in wide eyes of the busy fortress. Guards were practicing their sword, blade and arrow skills at the barracks, some of them laughed boisterously as they compete with one another.

The King had asked him to take a walk inside the fortress wall, which Junsu had heartily agreed. He was eager to spend time with his King and since he was confined to the bedroom for few days by the healers, he had not had the proper chance to explore the fortress. Anor was not yet high, but the fortress was brim with life. 

The route they took had led him to the barracks and it was here that Junsu found Lord Jaejoong from the House of Golden Flower.

Junsu was struck by how…different the Lord was from what he had imagined. Lord Jaejoong was beautiful, with dark strands around his fair face. As the lord from one of the Five Noble Houses, Junsu had imagined Lord Jaejoong to be, well, lord-y. 

But the Lord who currently stood in front of him was not as such. He was humble, had a beautiful smile on his face, and an epitome between masculinity and feminine. He had a long sword with him and from the way he carried the sword, it was clear that he was skilled and valued it greatly.

Mae govannen, King Consort Junsu. My name is Jaejoong from the House of Golden Flower,” the Lord said as he kneeled on one knee.

Junsu crossed his arms in front of his chest and bowed. “Mae govannen.” He glanced at the King from the corner of his eyes, to see if he minded that Junsu did his Sevaecian greeting, but the King did not say anything. He just stood there and watched the guards practicing.

“Have you recovered enough? We were deeply concerned when Andy came and told us that you are not well, and when the King rode with you and your eyes were closed... The healers were all in distress for that. But it seems that Changmin has helped you.” The Lord said again with a glance towards the King.

Junsu bowed his head. “I apologize for causing such a ruckus.” He noted how Lord Jaejoong called the King and it signified how close they were. Andy had mentioned that the two were childhood friends but this was the first time Junsu had ever heard anybody called the King only by his name.

Lord Jaejoong laughed, his voice pleasant and waved through the wind like a bell. “No need to be so formal King Consort, you are my best friend’s consort and as such you are also my friend.”

Junsu smiled. Lord Jaejoong was more pleasant than what he had thought. Perhaps they would be great friends later.

“Jaejoong, that is a new guard, is it not?” the King suddenly said, pointing at a young elf holding a blade most awkwardly, “it seems he needs guidance.”

To Junsu’s surprise, Lord Jaejoong merely rolled his eyes. He smiled at the King, playful glint in his eyes, “Mellon-nin, if you wish to be alone with your Consort, by all means please speak. There is no need to make such excuses.”

Junsu let out a gasp as he saw the King blushed. “If you know, then by all means, leave us.”

The Lord from the House of Golden Flower laughed again and shook his head. After giving one last smile at Junsu, he hurried on his way to the young trainee. Junsu watched as the young elf’s eyes widened seeing it was the Lord himself who showed him how to wield the blade.

“I hope you see that Jaejoong and I are nothing but friends,” suddenly the King spoke.

Junsu flushed red with embarrassment. He had not forgotten what he had said that day and it seemed that neither had the King. He had accused the King to be in love with Lord Jaejoong for he had not thought thoroughly. He looked up at the King, apologize was at the tip of his tongue, but the King chose that moment to take his hand. 

A warm pleasant tingle travelled from his fingertips and Junsu could feel his heart began to beat faster. 

“I have to speak my mind: I…I am not in love with you yet,” he said as he caressed Junsu’s hand, “but I hope that I will, in the future. I regretted my actions in the past for I have ignored you, but I wish you would speak your mind as well. Seek me out if you need me or if there is anything that bothers you. We do not differ much in age and I hope it will not create any barrier between us.”

Junsu nodded for he found himself tongue-tied yet again, and he belatedly realized that it had become his habit whenever the King spoke to him in that way. The King was honest, he tried to be a caring person, to make up for his actions in the past and Junsu could see himself falling for his own husband. Oh Valar, is that a good thing?

 

-----




The next day they rode together to Ered Luin, accompanied only by several guards for it was a short ride from Cair Andros.

Next to Ered Luin was the town of Gondolin and across the river was the land of the Kingdom of Kuveth. Junsu watched with fear in his heart as he thought of the Dark Lord being so close. The Kingdom was filled with foul creatures: Orcs, Wargs, Goblins and even Trolls.

He suddenly remembered what Lord Dongwook said, that some dwarves who lived deep under the mountain were rumored to join the Dark Lord’s forces. Junsu asked this to the King, which the King immediately frowned on.

“I have not heard of such rumor,” he said.

“Oh,” Junsu replied, “then perhaps the Lord is mistaken.”

“Or perhaps he is hiding things from me,” the King said with a low growl. He then let out a long sigh, “Perhaps this would be a good time to tell you of the Council.” He slowed his horse to a trot and Junsu did the same, eager to know more of the Council.

“After my father’s death the Council is divided between those who want regency and those who think that I am ready. I am of course, of age and as such I can claim my right to the throne. However those who do not support me think it is wise for regency, for I was –am– still young and still have much to learn.”

Junsu’s heart went for his husband. Junsu himself was always a sheltered Prince, even when he was but a small child. His father and Junho had constantly shielded him from any intrigue in the court if there was any, and wished him to lead a happy, free life. And Sevaecian court is of no place of such politic, unlike the one in Cardonna’s Council. All loved the King, Junsu’s father, and supported Junho the first prince as the heir and future ruler.

“The conflict grows. They question everything I decide and oppose my order, although never in front of me. They do that secretly. They also withhold information from me, as you see from the news of the dwarves. But the worst thing is that they began to gather more Council member in their circle, and it creates another problem for everything I decide, I have to have the support from the Council.”

Junsu had heard of this before. The Council reflected the Five Noble Houses in the Great Kingdom of Cardonna, and every Cardonna King must have the full support from the Council. Otherwise then the Kingdom was in danger of mutiny and a civil war might break.

“The House of the Harp…is it the one who opposes you, my Lord?” Junsu asked.

The King sighed again. “It is. They want the throne for themselves and Lord Dongwook can be very persuasive. He has approached the Lord from the House of Tree and it seems that his approach has been fruitful. Yunho has reported of sightings of them speak in dark corner, hiding from plain sight.”

“And I have helped him gain power by supporting Lord Seunghyun’s new position at the Council,” Junsu whispered. It was only now he realized the consequences of his foolish action, the one he did out of sheer stupidity and a moment of loneliness.

“Yes you have,” replied the King. He did not cover the truth with sweet words and Junsu knew he should be grateful for it. At least the King was honest.

They rode in silence until they reached Ered Luin, each was mindful with their own thoughts. Junsu followed silently as the King led the way to the mine and by the time they entered, Junsu let out a gasp for what he saw startled him.

Carts and carts of mithril ores, shining as if they have a light of their own and bright like the stars above, were stacked high at one corner. They saw great hall filled with workers busy mining the precious metal directly from the wall and Junsu saw that even the ground he was on was filled with mithril. He had seen mithril before but never in such quantity in his life for it was a metal so precious, it worth the weight ten times in gold and Ered Luin was the only mithril mine in all of Arda.

“This is what brings Cardonna strength Junsu. Yes we have mines in gold and other precious jewels, but mithril is more valuable. It can be mold into anything: weapons, jewelry, chainmail and even coats; for it is stronger than steel but much lighter in weight.”

Junsu was astonished at what he had seen, for only now he truly saw the great wealth of the Kingdom of Cardonna. And to think that the Kingdom still have mines of gold and precious jewels, it was no wonder that the kingdom was the greatest amongst all.

And no wonder the House of Harp wants the throne, even if it is just for a while.

The King then said again, “But my Consort, what good is of wealth if my people are suffering from hunger and cold? We have very little farm land and what we have are not nearly enough. We are depended on other kingdoms. Folks from all races come to Cardonna to trade our richness and in return they bring food and clothing.”

“Then why do you need to have an alliance with my Kingdom?” Junsu asked in wonder. In his mind, if Cardonna was wealthy and they were, then to trade food and clothing would be no hard task. Folks would come and trade for everything they needed and why would they ally themselves with the Kingdom of Sevaecia?

“Because when the war breaks out –and it will– food will become scarce and I cannot depend on the trade to feed my people. I need a reliable source and your kingdom is the only logical choice. Your father had sworn that it will keep supply Cardonna with necessary provisions.”

Suddenly Junsu was ashamed. He had not even thought of that. He still had much to learn to understand how to govern, and to think what would be best for his people. 

But another question bothered him. He knew that the Kingdom of Sevaecia was blessed with natural resources and all her lands were fertile, the climate perfect for farming but to support another kingdom was not an easy task. To be doing so, Junsu knew Junho had to double their food production and the Sevaecian people must work twice as hard.

He must be busy. I cannot bother my brother with meaningless letters. He will only worry and it might distract him from his task.

Junsu glanced at the King. I have him now and perhaps if I speak my mind, he will allow me to have occupation in this kingdom. I will speak with him once we are back at the White City.

The King then spoke again, “tomorrow I will visit Gondolin. Jaejoong has mentioned recent activity of Orcs and they have grown bolder. I need to see the town for myself and we will need to double the guards, heighten the security forGondolin would be the first place the Dark Lord would attack.”

Junsu found himself intrigued. “May I accompany you my Lord? I wish to see the town as well, if you will allow me.”

The look of wonder that the King gave him was almost enough to make Junsu blush. “Of course you may,” he heard the King reply, “It will be my pleasure.”


-End of Chapter Eight-


Glossary:
Valar = gods
Arda = time/earth
Quel Kaima = Rest well
Anor= sun
Mae govannen = Well met