Chapter Fifteen

Golden Rule
 
Golden Rule
Chapter Fifteen
By: Sharl



The next morning, the White City was in an uproar. 

Treason against the King committed by one of the Five Noble Houses was unheard of before and now even the King himself ordered a full search. Words quickly spread from the castle to the people at the Main Square and beyond. Some whispered that they had long seen it coming, some mourned at how far the rift had been between the King and the House of Harp. In the midst of a war with the Kingdom of Kuveth, it was unwise to have a rift between allies. 

But the people knew: The Five Noble Houses had sworn loyalty to the King since the early age. Their forefathers were the first to swear, and the first King of the Kingdom of Cardonna had accepted it. The oath had been passed down from fathers to sons and it was an unspoken rule amongst the people. Loyalty to the King came first and foremost. 

All Cardonnans watched with trepidation as their Seneschal, Lord Yunho, galloped through the castle’s gate to the lower levels with his men followed him all the way through the market until finally they reached the large house which belonged to the House of Harp. No one stood in their way, not even the guards from the House of Harp. They had opened the gate and waited since dawn, bowing low as the Lord Seneschal arrived to conduct the full search by the order of the King.

Yunho nodded at the guards from the House of Harp, noting their solemn looks. At the courtyard, what remained from the members of the House of Harp had gathered, including Lord Dongwook’s and Lord Seunghyun’s wives. Their sons and daughters stood nearby at the far-end terrace, the older ones seemed terrified while the younger ones were mostly curious. 

The Seneschal’s heart was heavy with guilt as it dawned to him that these elflings would soon be fatherless. Comitting such heavy treasons would only mean one thing: death if proven guilty. And they would be proven guilty, Yunho himself had made sure he planted the evidence. To think that everything was nothing more but a tangled web of lies did not sit right with him, but Yunho understood why King Changmin did this. It was the only way left. If they had no threat from the darkness at the Kingdom of Kuveth, it would be much easier. 

But they did not have the luxury to do so. Lord Dongwook and Lord Seunghyun must be removed from power, by any means necessary.

Mae govannen. I am Yunho, the Seneschal from the Great Kingdom of Cardonna,” he said as a greeting, “The King has bid me to conduct a full search to the House of Harp and its’ accomplices if there is any, on the charge of treason against the King.”

A young male elf, no older than fifty summers, stepped forward. He trembled visibly, but he stared at Yunho in the eye as he spoke, “Mae govannen. My name is Myungsoo and I am the distant cousin of Lord Dongwook. Now that my cousin is imprisoned, the role to lead the House of Harp falls onto me. I give you full cooperation to conduct the search.”

Yunho nodded and he smiled at the young elf. “Hanon lle. Your willingness will not go unmentioned to the King.”

He was about to give orders to his men when Yunho heard the young elf spoke again. “My Lord? May I say something?”

Confused, Yunho frowned but he gestured at the other continue. He watched as Myungsoo his lips nervously and stuttered, “If…if you find any evidence that prove the House of Harp to be guilty of the treason, may I beg for you to pardon my family’s lives? They know nothing of it and they are innocent.”

The Seneschal gazed at Myungsoo sadly. “Pen-neth, it is up to the King to decide, I have no say in it.”

Myungsoo looked crestfallen, but the young elf nodded nonetheless, signaling that he understood. Yunho pitied him slightly, to be thrown across such uncertainties so suddenly, it must be terrifying. He himself had known that the family would know nothing of the treason, not even Lord Dongwook himself knew of this. He made note to speak to the King later, no one should pay for this tangled web of lies more than they should be. Only two men needed to be dead and Yunho prayed to the Valar that the King had realized this long before.


-----


He is still a bit warm, Junsu noted as he helped his husband out of their bed. 

It had been five days after the King had come back from the dead. The royal healers had expressed their gratitudes at the King’s fast recovery to Junsu, for in their mind, it was due to the King’s Consort that the King was still alive. Junsu accepted the gratitude with mere smiles, for his mind was entirely focused on his King. He himself was pleased with the King’s improving health, but a selfish part of him wished it was not as fast. The longer King Changmin remained in bed, the longer Junsu would have him for himself.

But whenever he thought of these thoughts, he berated himself almost immediately. It was unwise to put one’s self before the Kingdom. The King had his duties and the sooner he could perform them, the better it would be for the entire kingdom.

Today, the King would visit the captured Lords from the House of Harp at the dungeon. Lord Yunho had come back with the result of his full search two days before, and he reported that he had found evidences at the House of Harp’s residence that prove Lord Dongwook and Lord Seunghyun to be guilty, with the royal guards as his witnesses. He had found the administered poison hidden amongst bottles of potions, letters of conspiracies between the two Lords and the alchemist who made the poison.

And now, the fate of Lord Dongwook and Lord Seunghyun would be decided. Junsu’s heart was heavy with guilt, for he knew that Lord Yunho was the one who had planted those evidences. How, he did not know, nor he wished to know. What was important was that now the die had been cast. There was only one option left. The two Lords would be charged with sufficient punishments, most likely death, for something that they did not commit themselves.

It was cowardly, Junsu realized this. But it was the only way. And if the King, his husband, wished for things to be this way, Junsu would stay by his side and support him. Everything the King did, everything the King planned, Junsu had sworn an oath to himself that he would be by his husband’s side. 

“Junsu?” The King’s voice broke him from his musings.

Startled, Junsu gazed at his husband who was staring at him in worry. Junsu then bowed his head. “Forgive me my Lord, my thought was elsewhere.”

A soft hand caressed his cheek, beckons Junsu to look up and he found his heart beat faster at the way the King looked at him. It was so trusting, so loving, and Junsu prayed that he himself was not blushing. He heard the King spoke, “It is alright. But if there is anything that bothers you, melamin, I wish you will tell me.”

Junsu smiled. The word melamin fell from the King’s lips more often now, but every time he heard it, it always brought such warm flutter in his heart. Their journey here had not been easy, and he himself knew his husband did not say those words easily and for that, Junsu was grateful. As long as the King spoke them, he knew he could always be comforted with the King’s love for him.

“I promise, my Lord.”

Something akin with disappointment flashed on the King’s face, but it was gone before Junsu had a chance to address it properly. “Come,” the King said next, “the sooner we are done at the dungeon, the better. I wish to go for a ride later. Will you join me?”

Junsu took hold of the King’s elbow and waist and the two continued on their way. He could hear the guards’ footsteps following behind them, and Junsu knew Eric and Andy had doubled the number of guards since the incident happened. Eric had blamed himself for not being able to guard the King. But Junsu had heard the King told Eric not to blame himself, for it was not his fault. Nevertheless, the Head Guard had become more alert. He even requested for every food and drink that the royal family would consume to be tested first.

“The healer said it would be best if you remain at the bed for few more days at least, my King,” Junsu replied his husband.

“Nonsense,” The King snorted as they turned around the corner and entered a stairway that would lead to the dungeon, “I feel much better now. And you have not answered my question.”

Junsu took a stronger hold on his husband, for the stairs were steep and somewhat dark. At the turn of his head, Junsu saw a guard quickly rushed forward and illuminated their way down with a torch. Now the bright fire brought enough light to see the steps clearer. Junsu then smiled and let out a small laugh as he boldly played along. “I wish you did not notice.”

“But I did,” a cheerful note was heard in the King’s voice. Were they not in the dark dungeons and were illuminated with Anor’s light, Junsu knew he would see a playful glint on his husband’s eyes, something that he had seen more often now.

“I will join you my Lord, but I believe the healer knows best. If he said you are not well enough to ride, then you must stay in bed.”

He heard the King groaned. “You are supposed to stay by my side and support my decisions, are you not?”

Junsu opted for no answer, for he knew the King did not need one. His husband was merely jesting with him, and somehow the thought brought warm feelings to his heart. Their relationship had improved so much compared to their first few months together. He prayed that these bright days would continue for as long as the Valar allowed it to before the war with the Kingdom of Kuveth broke. However it was heartening to see that even amongst the darkest days, there were still hope.

But first they must deal with the House of Harp. The cheerful atmosphere turned to solemn as they approached the dungeon. There, locked behind the bars, were Lord Dongwoon and Lord Seunghyun. Their faces were sunken and gaunt, for they had not seen Anor’s light since they had been imprisoned. Their hands were chained, their silk robes were now dirty and torn. Their hairs were tangled with straw and cobweb. Both of them stood up as soon as the guard announced the King’s presence.

“My King!” Lord Dongwook shouted, “It is good to see you well.”

The King did not reply at once. He merely gazed at the imprisoned lords and an awkward silence settled. Junsu glanced at his husband, wondering how he would solve and sentenced the two lords without being seen as unwise and unjust. They were innocent after all.

“I have asked Lord Yunho to conduct a full search to the House of Harp’s residences, and we found the poison, alongside letters of conspiracies hidden there. They are more than enough evidences to proof your treachery and treason.”

“Treason! Treachery! We have committed none!” Lord Dongwook said most vehemently, “We have been treated most unjust, my King, you must believe us! We know not of the poison and letters of conspiracies, someone has put them there!”

“Do you deny that you have put the poison in my goblet?”

“Aye!”

“Do you also deny that you are the one who informed the Dark Kingdom of my visit to Cair Andros? And because of that, Orcs and Wargs, two hundred strong, attacked us and nearly killed me. It was most unusual of them to attack with such force. Do you deny this?” 

Junsu was startled to hear this, but he did not let it show. However, he wondered: what in the name of Arda was in the King’s mind? He himself did not expect the King to bring forth the incident of that attack. After all it happened long time ago. Although he knew that the King had long suspected it was the House of Harps who gave that information, they did not have any evidence to proof this accusation. It had become a thorn on their side for so long, but why the King would mention it? It had no connection with the poisoning incident. 

And then it dawned to him.

With the poisoning incident, the Lords from the House of Harp knew they were innocent. And although the King had said that they had found evidences to proof the treason, the two lords could still deny it and even begged for the Council to later for their innocence. But regarding the incident with the attack, and the long suspected correspondence between the House of Harp and the Dark Kingdom of Kuveth, Lord Dongwook and Lord Seunghyun knew this to be true. The King had not said that they had also found evidences to proof that, but it had been planted in the two lords’ mind thatperhaps the royal guards and Lord Yunho had also somehow found out and had enough proof.

Junsu was mesmerized at how insightful his husband was. It must have been the King’s purpose after all, to make Lord Dongwook and Lord Seunghyun admitting their correspondences with the Dark Kingdom, but he needed them to be in disadvantage position at first. And now that they had been proven guilty with poisoning incident, it was easy to make them admitting that.

The King was three steps ahead of everyone else, Junsu himself included. He had not realized at how far-thought the King proved himself to be.

And the King was proven right almost at once. The two lords were silent. Lord Dongwook who had spoken most vehemently now stayed quiet. They merely stared at the dungeon’s cold floor stone, their faces were now pale and filled with fright. Their silence was enough admission to proof them guilty.

Junsu watched as his husband’s face changed. A flash of disappointment, anger, betrayal; all were there. He took a step backward, maintaining a distance between himself and the prisoners. “What is the promised prize?” he asked with tight voice, “When all Elves in Arda has died, you will be given your share of the treasure?”

“Let the guards be our witnesses. Lord Dongwook and Lord Seunghyun have been proven guilty of treason against Our Great Kingdom and against the Royal Family. It is a crime most heinous, one that is unheard of by our forefathers. And as our law demands, they will be sentenced to death.”

There were sharp gasps from the cell where the two lords stood. Disblief, shock, combined with desperation on their faces. All guards stood straighter, ready to bear witness to what the King had spoken. All of them had sworn an oath to be truthful and just, and this event would be carved in their mind until their deaths.

The King continued. “However, my Father, the late King once said: courage is not when taking a life, but knowing when not to take one. And so although what you did were treasons and treacheries, I condemn you not to death, but to a life of exile. In three days time, you will leave our kingdom and may not be back until the end of Arda.”

He said nothing more. Without giving the two lords any chance to speak, the King had his heels and left. Junsu followed his husband quickly, but he sneaked a glance at Lord Dongwook and Lord Seunghyun, both of whom still stood frozen in their cell. 

Junsu had expected the king to sentence the two lords with deaths, not exiles and so once again his husband surprised him. Living in exile was most humiliating especially to warriors and nobles as the two lords from the House of Harp. They were accustomed with lives filled with luxury, honor, and pride. To other people, being condemned to a life of exile instead of death might be a blessing, but Junsu was sure it was not so with Lord Dongwook and Lord Seunghyun. They would prefer to be sentenced to death.

But he did not have the time to ponder. As soon as they left the dungeon, the King heaved a deep breath and visibly slumped. Junsu and Eric were just fast enough to catch him. The King was still not well enough, and what he did had taken its toll on his health. After all, it was not easy dealing with treachery and treason. 

“My King, are you alright?” Junsu asked in worry.

He saw his husband nodded and sighed heavily. “It seems that I am not well enough after all. I should heed what the healers said and go back to bed.”

With the help from the royal guards, they carried the King between them and before long they reached the Royal Chamber. After requesting Eric to stay guard and had some food be brought to the chamber later on, Junsu closed the door and helped his king undressed. The dungeon’s stale smell lingered on their clothes and he would prefer for the King to change his clothes before resting. A cold sweat had broken on the King’s brow, but it was common and nothing dangerous.

“Do you want me to call the healer?”

“No, I will be fine after I rest for a while,” the King replied, “Melamin, will you rest with me?”

“I need to speak with Lord Yoochun, but I will be here until you are asleep,” Junsu said as he tenderly caressed his husband’s cheek. The King’s hand caught his and Junsu felt warmth spread through him as their fingers clasped together. The gesture spoke more than thousand words. He could feel the King’s hand trembled slightly for it was not easy doing what he just did. He had condemned two lords from a noble house, had made a complicated tangled web of lies; all for the sake of his kingdom. By joining their hands together, the King put his trust and fear on Junsu.

Junsu grasped the other’s hand tighter. Leaning down, he pressed a kiss on his husband’s soft lips.Their kiss was soft, as it always has been. “Amin mella le,” he whispered on the King’s lips.

Mella le beika,” he heard the King said and it made him smile.

Quel esta, melamin.”Junsu said, “I will be here. Put your worries aside and rest.”



-End of Chapter Fifteen-


Author's Note: \T^T/ Changmin is so smart and adorable and Junsu is so loving and kind and I am in love with them all


Glossary:
Valar = gods
Mae govannen =Well met
Arda = time/earth
Pen-neth= young one
Melamin = My Love
Anor= sun
Hanon lle = thank you
Amin mela lle = I love you
Mela lle beika= I love you too