Chapter Three

Golden Rule
Golden Rule
Chapter Three
By: Sharl




The day for the wedding came much too early for Junsu. He had not spoken with the King since their first meeting, for the King had ridden to Cair Andros, fortress at the Eastern border. His dear friend, the Lord from the House of Golden Flower, who guarded the fortress there, had fallen ill and the King feared for his friend’s health. 

However what bothered Junsu the most was the King had not bothered to inform him himself. He had to learn these facts from Andy, Eric’s second in command who would be Junsu’s personal guard. Eric had gone with the King and so Andy stayed behind with Junsu at the castle. It was also Andy who told him that the King had ree day before the wedding, and that he had retired to his chamber after arriving, for he wished to rest.

“The King and the Lord of the House of Golden Flower were best friends since childhood, my prince,” Andy had said,“Back then, they were inseparable. When one was near, the other could not be far. When the late King died however, they were forced to be apart as King Changmin had to assume the throne.”

Junsu did not know what to make of this. The King showed great care by coming to his friend’s aid but he also abandoned his duties. More importantly, he abandoned Junsu. The King had made known that he did not think Junsu was important. The Sevaecia Prince hoped it did not show, but he feared the day when his brother would be away. 

He would be alone here, at the cold harsh Great Kingdom of Cardonna, wedded to a man who hardly cared for him.

The Sevaecia Prince was still in turmoil as he was escorted through halls and stairs until they arrived at the Garden of Lorien, a garden in the castle where his bonding ceremony with the King would be held. Music and laughter filled the air, but Junsu did not share the joy.

It was supposed to be a blissful day. A union between the two kingdoms had been long planned but never realized until this very day. With them, came new hope against the rumor of growing darkness at the Kingdom of Kuveth. Only by the joined forces of these two kingdoms could they hope to stand against the dark force. 

Junsu took a deep breath. He did not have a say in this. The people of Cardonna and Sevaecia both had great hopes in him and he would not fail them.

Junho was waiting for him at the end of the corridor leading to the royal garden. He nodded approvingly at Junsu as he took on his brother’s appearance. Junsu was wearing a traditional Sevaecian’s robe, made from finest red silk. Golden and silver threads adorned their family symbol and the symbol for the Kingdom of Sevaecia. This might be the last time Junsu would ever be seen with these symbols, for he would soon be wearing that of King Changmin’s.

“You look well, gwador.”

Junsu smiled sadly. I do not wish this day to end, he said into their bond, for you will sail tomorrow. Valar knows how I can survive.

Junho flooded their bond with comfort, knowing his twin needed it the most. He wished to question the King’s behavior towards his brother, but it was not place to do so. This was a political alliance and his heart went to his twin. Have faith brother. Today is a joyful day.

Junsu chose not to answer, knowing his brother would know what went through his mind that very moment: disappointment, fear, loneliness. He buried all of those insecurities deep inside him. He would soon be wedded to the King, and as the Consort of the King, it would not do to show them. 

He was no fool. He knew what it meant to be the Consort of the King. There would be no time to show weaknesses, not even to the King. For as much as this union would benefit both Kingdoms, there would always be those who disagree. Junsu had not yet known who they were, but he knew they were waiting for his downfall.

Gwador, it is time. They are waiting,” Junho reminded him.

Junsu nodded. He took the first step into the royal garden, only the King, his royal guards, the Council of Advisors and all five Lords from the Five Noble Houses may attended the bonding ceremony. He would be properly introduced to them later at the feast, for now they were only to stand as witnesses. 

A large cider tree stood tall at the center of the garden, shielding the small crowd that had gathered for Anor was already high in the sky. Junsu walked towards it with bated breath, knowing his brother was right behind him. The small crowd parted as he neared, and The Sevaecian prince could see the King’s tall form, adorned in an ivory robe and a crown on his head. Junho was right. The King was indeed most handsome. 

Junsu stopped in front of the King and the High Priest. He gave them a Sevaecian greeting in a hurry for he felt nearly incapable of speech. His breath left him and he felt faint, a little bit nauseous even. He could hear his voice shook.

Then the High Priest, Hyesung, spoke. “We are here today to unite two royalties and two kingdoms, The Great Kingdom of Cardonna and the Prosperous Kingdom of Sevaecia. Long has this union been planned, since the time of our fathers’ but has yet to be done. We are fortunate to stand here as witnesses, and may this union bound our two kingdoms together.”

Hyesung stepped forward. He took the King’s hand and pushed it until it rested upon Junsu’s. Warm hands clasped one another and Junsu could feel both his and the King’s trembled. 

And that was when Junsu felt he understand the King for the first time. Again, Junho was right. The King was young and had carried so many burdens. He was just as insecure of this union as Junsu, but he hid it very well. Junsu’s heart went for the King. If the King allowed it, Junsu would like to share the burden. Instinctively he held tighter to the other’s hand, hearing the sharp intake of breath from the King. 

Junsu tried to smile, but he found that he was unable to. Hyesung then spoke. “Let love bind thee as our people and land are now bound. Now, you are one, King Changmin and the King’s Consort Junsu. Bound in heart and soul and body. May the Valar guides and blesses you both.”

Yoochun placed a mithril ring in the King’s hand, a symbol of their union. The King slipped the ring on Junsu’s finger. It sparkled beautifully, the mithril felt cool on his skin and the diamonds and rubies adorned it glinted in sunlight. Junho placed another ring in Junsu’s hand and with a great deal of nervousness, Junsu slipped it on the King’s finger. Like his, it was also made of mithril and adorned with diamonds and sapphires. 

The craftsmen had outdone their skills forging them. The mithril would last until the end of Arda, symbolizing that with the union of the two kingdoms there were hopes, that they would stand against the darkness that grew once more.

 

-----




Music and laughter filled the Hall of Heavenly Arch. Nearly all the nobles were there, all the advisors, influential guards and their families shared the joy. Some were dancing, some were talking boisterously as they toasted their ales and wines. Tables laden with food were on each corner, free for all who wished to indulge in the feast. 

The halls were lit with great fires to provide warmth, but Junsu still drew his robe tighter to himself. For him the weather was cold and the fire was too far. He had eaten cheese, bread and some fruits, but he found no appetite to try the roasted meat. The cold had taken his appetite away. He gazed at the feasting crowd and tried to remember each one. He could see the Lord from the House of Harp talked in hushed whispers with the Lord from the House of Pillar and the Lord from the House of Fountain, while the Lord from the House of Tree was dancing with a beautiful maiden. 

But the Lord from the House of Golden Flower, whom Junsu was most curious of, was not to be found. He neither attended the feast nor the bonding ceremony, claiming he was still unwell and begged for forgiveness from the King and the King’s Consort. Junsu knew the King was still most worried, for he heard him sent the best of his healers to ride toCair Andros soon after.

At that time Junsu realized that the King obviously went back to the castle only for the bonding ceremony. If he was given a choice, perhaps the King would have stayed in Cair Andros with his friend. A slight pang went to Junsu’s heart. The King would perhaps ride away to the Eastern border at the first light of Anor tomorrow, leaving Junsu by himself as Junho would sail soon as well. A shiver raked his body and Junsu drew his robe even tighter.

Suddenly the King, who sat on his right, gave him a glass filled with clear fluid. He said, “Try this, it is Miruvor. It will help to keep you warm.”

Junsu looked at the clear liquid, wondering what in them. He took a tentative sip and felt the warm drink slid down his throat, warming his body almost immediately. The King was still watching him. “Thank you,” Junsu replied, “I am not accustomed yet to the cold weather in Cardonna.”

The King nodded. “It may take time, but-“

His words were stopped by the appearance of two advisors. Each one held two glasses of wine. They bowed and said in bright tone, “Sire, we wish to praise you on this wedding. May the joined forces of Cardonna and Sevaecia last until the end of Arda.” 

One of the advisors gestured at Junsu to take the one of the glasses and Junsu did. Smiling, he said his gratitude. But when he was lifting his glass to drink, the King interrupted. “My Consort may have too much wine and ale. And I have just given him Miruvor to keep him warm. I would drink in his stead.”

Junsu frowned at the King. Once again, he did not like the way the King spoke in that condescending tone, almost as if he was ordering Junsu not to drink. As the King’s Consort, he should have drunk it himself as a gratitude gesture towards the two advisors and surely he was entitled to have his own mind?

Gwador, Junho warned in their bond. Many eyes are watching.

Suddenly Junsu remembered where he was. In front of so many audiences, he ought not to quarrel with the King. Everything the King said, the King did, had to be obeyed. And so he quelled down the anger that had sparkled in him. He was a King’s Consort now, he had to behave as his rank. 

Junsu let out a laugh, awkward in his own ears, but it had the two advisors smiled. He lowered his gaze to the floor, as if he was blushing. “I’m afraid that is true, I have had too much. Thank you, your highness, for the kindness.”

The King did not answer, nor did Junsu expect one. The two advisors said more well-wishes, but Junsu did not hear them. He was in his own mind. Was his life would continue to be like this? Being subjected and ordered by the King who obviously cared more to the Lord from the House of Golden Flower than to him. 

His gaze then fell at the entrance door, located at the end of the Hall of Heavenly Arch. It was beautifully carved, symbols for The House of King was depicted in the center: a crown and five stars, with six swords crossed at the bottom. It was covered with beautiful glittering pure gold, and Junsu was reminded once again at how great the Kingdom of Cardonna was. 

His kingdom needed this alliance, his people needed this and by Valar, Junsu would make this alliance fruitful. By the end of this night, the King would have bedded him and only by then the alliance could be declared as consumed and legitimate. 

Gathering his courage, he looked at the King and saw the King watching him. Junsu could not read the other’s expression, but the glazed eyes were enough to tell him that the King was obviously quite drunk. He did not know what to think of it, so he mustered his courage and asked, “My King, do you wish to retire?”


-End of Chapter Three-


Glossary:

Valar = gods
Arda = time/earth
Anor = sun
Gwador = brother