Chapter Ten

Golden Rule
Golden Rule
Chapter Ten
By: Sharl





Junsu walked in the empty hall of the Castle at the White City, his footsteps resounding loud and clear in his ears. Andy followed quietly from behind with two other guards, but somehow their footsteps were not as loud as his. Perhaps it was due to their intense training as guards; it required him to be stealthy to creep on enemies.

He turned to a corner and was soon faced with a double door, guarded by four guards. Behind this door was the Council Room and soon they would have their meeting. 

It had been three weeks since they visited Cair Andros, and things had not gone as well as they had expected. The nobles were all still scattered in their respective lands across the Great Kingdom of Cardonna. And so the King had called them all to come to the White City today.

The King had asked Junsu last night whether he would be willing to watch the Council’s meetings and Junsu had readily agreed. He mildly wondered why the King did not ask him before, but then he caught the guilty look on the King’s face and could not bring himself to speak the question.

A King’s Consort was allowed to oversee the meeting from a small alcove above the room. There was only one rule: he had to stay quiet and not to speak. Whatever that might happen, Junsu was not to interfere with the proceeding event.

He stopped in front of the double door. Inhaling a deep breath, he composed himself. This would be an important meeting, when the King would speak to the Council and asked their support to prepare for the war. All would be decided here.

Finally he nodded to the guards and the door was then opened. He walked few steps and gazed downwards. The Lords from all the Five Noble Houses were all there, speaking amongst themselves, waiting for the King to arrive so that they could start the council. Even the Lord of the Golden Flower also attended, for Lord Jaejoong had been summoned by the King to attend the Council. There was tension in the air. It was as if they knew that this meeting would be a difficult one.

“All hail The Consort of the King!” a herald shouted. 

Junsu watched as the Lords and members of the councils looked upwards, surprised were written on their faces for this was the first time in many years that a King’s Consort attended the Council meeting, or so he was told by the King.

All the Lords kneeled down, said their greetings to Junsu. From the corner of his eyes, Junsu noted the way Lord Dongwook exchanged an uncomfortable glance to Lord Seunghyun before they too, kneeled down. A moment of doubt thrilled in Junsu’s mind, as he remembered what the King had spoken of the House of Harp. Both Lords wore tight, guarded expression, as if they were did not expected Junsu to be there.

Of course, Junsu thought, they thought we are still quarrelling and it is better for them if we are. With Junsu there, it showed that the House of King was united and secure. It boded ill will for them, as they wish the throne for themselves.

Junsu bowed and he watched as one by one all the Lords rose. Lord Jaejoong shared a small smile with him, one that Junsu could not help but return. He was glad that Lord Jaejoong was here, even if it was only so that the King had at least one supporter at the Council. 

At then the door of the Council room was opened. “All hail Changmin the King, Ruler of the Great Kingdom of Cardonna!” announced the herald.

Junsu took a deep breath. As the King was now present at the Council, the meeting would begin. He watched as the King took his seat at the round table and gestured at the others to take their own. Yoochun the Chief Advisor also attended, with Yunho the Seneschal they took their seats behind the King.

Mae govannen, mellon-nin.” The King began to speak. “I wish to thank you for your attendance. You have been summoned today to stand united against the dark threat from the Kingdom of Kuveth that is looming at our own fair Kingdom.”

He then continued, “Before we begin, however, I am pleased to announce that my Consort is joining us. He has desired to partake in the Council Meeting, in which he will do so from now on. As per our tradition ensued, he cannot participate but he will bear witness to all that is decided here.”

Junsu watched as the King gazed upwards and for a moment he felt his heart skipped a beat. He had found himself gazed at the brilliant eyes of his husband’s for countless times now, for they now spent many times together in one day, but still he felt as if it was his first time as he was still mesmerized. 

There was something unreadable in the King’s eyes, a guarded look at the beginning but day by day, little by little Junsu understood his King. Behind those eyes were strong emotions, determined wishes to rule the Kingdom wisely, but also insecure looks that came with the King’s young age. 

However there was also something else. Perhaps it was only Junsu’s own imagination and wishful thinking, but recently he saw a soft look on his husband’s eyes. It was as if the King was happy and there was a joyful look in his face every time he saw Junsu. And Junsu found himself drowning deeper every time he stared at the King, just like what happened now.

“If there is something that happened to me, as my Consort, he will be in charge to rule Cardonna,” the King said again, as he continued to gaze at Junsu.

There were sharp gasps from the Council Members, while Junsu watched as Lord Jaejoong hid a smile. He himself did not expect it. In other words, the King had announced that Junsu would be the next in line for the throne, unless an heir was born. By confirming this, the King had indirectly spoken that by no means he would relinquish his claim to the throne; a warning to the House of Harp and all others who wish to take the throne for themselves.

Against his own will, Junsu’s heart ached as he realized that something, anything, might happened to the King. With the war brewing, there would be no saying that they would make through the war alive, for the King himself would lead the army.

Junsu prayed in his heart to the Valar, so that they may keep his King safe. As of now he could not imagine what his life would be if the King was dead.

A realization then came by to him. 

When had the king become so important? His heart ached at the mere thought of anything happen to his husband and suddenly he became scared. It was as if he had no hold left onto his heart. What was the King to him now?

….How do you describe the one person who keeps your heart beating?

“…but there is no guarantee that we have the means to fight them!” Lord Dongwook’s voice brought Junsu out of his musings. Startled, Junsu berated himself. How could he had lost in his own thoughts and paid no attention towards the Council meeting?

He then sat straighter in his chair, as he heard what Lord Dongwook continued to speak. “We have heard of endless fire that burn continuously at the Kingdom of Kuveth. What used to be ashes and dust, now rise smoke from furnace, for their weaponries work day and night. Other than Orcs with Wargs and Goblins, it is also rumored that Trolls and dwarfs that live deep under the mountain also wish to join the Dark Lord’s forces.”

At that moment, the King spoke, cutting Lord Dongwook. “Which reminds me, how is it that my Consort knows about this whilst I do not? I believe that you have spoken with him before you speak with me, and perhaps you would like to explain why do you withhold this news from us?”

Lord Seunghyun was the one who replied. “I believe my brother has no intention to keep you in the dark, my King, he merely did not have the chance. You have, after all, been occupied with…other matters.”

A tight look crossed on the King’s face, but it was Lord Jaejoong who interrupted. “Lord Seunghyun, are you suggesting that the King might not think the news as of important? What could be more crucial than the news of our enemies?”

The Lord from the House of Golden Flower then stood up, his voice rang clear and cut deep across the chamber. “As my land borders directly with the Dark Kingdom, I believe I can give first sighting report of what truly happened at our door step.”

A murmur of agreement was heard as some of the Lords nodded. Encouraged, Lord Jaejoong continued. “Us from the House of Golden Flower, has constantly fought skirmishes with Orcs and Wargs, and we guard the Great Kingdom of Cardonna with our lives. It is because of us, that your lands are safe. And we do so willingly, for we have sworn loyalty to the House of King, as our fathers have done so in the past. However as of recently we have seen our enemies grew braver.”

“What Lord Dongwook said is right: what used to be ashes and dust are now smokes and fires. Orcs grows braver and with each passing day we have to fight against them, their numbers do not diminish. In fact the King himself was attacked during his last visit to Cair Andros and it is only fortunate that the King’s Consort knows how to wield the sword, or the King would surely be dead.”

“Forgive my interruption Lord Jaejoong, but what is your point?” asked Lord Dongwook. His face now bore an uncomfortable look, as if he did not like what Lord Jaejoong spoke: to encourage the Council to raise arms against the Dark Kingdom.

“My point, Lord Dongwook, is that we cannot stay silent. We have to keep our people safe and we cannot do that by hiding behind our walls. As of now Gondolin has been emptied, its people have been moved to safer place and only the guards remained. How long will this continue?”

“But that is what I also wish to point to the Council,” Lord Dongwook replied, “We have no means to fight the Dark Lord’s forces. Whilst their forces are increasing by number, ours remain the same.”

“Then what are you suggesting?” The King asked spoke low, anger was apparent in his voice.

For that question, both Lords from the House of Harp found no answer and they remained silent. The King’s gaze hardened and Junsu knew what it meant, for he was also under the same gaze once when the King lost his temper on him. The King would soon be angry and it would not be good for the Council if he did so. 

It would only emphasize on his young age and soon the members of the Council would lose their trust on him. 

Fortunately Yoochun seemed to realize this as well, for he soon interrupted. “There is no way we would reach an agreement today. I suggest we convene tomorrow. The King must now speak to the ambassador from the Kingdom of Sevaecia who arrived this morning. Rooms have been prepared for you my Lords, Yunho will help you to your quarters.”

Yunho nodded and then he stood up. “My Lords, if you please follow me.”

One by one all the nobles stood, they bid their goodbyes to the King and bowed to him. Lord Dongwook, however, stormed out from the chamber almost immediately; his brother followed close behind.

Junsu released the breath he had been holding. Sighing in relief, he watched the King who was speaking in quiet voice with Yoochun. 

A trickle of guilt went through him. Was this how every Council meeting went? The King spoke truth when he told Junsu that the House of Harp opposed him. Lord Dongwook questioned everything that the King had proposed and now with Lord Seunghyun at his side, he grew bolder. If only Junsu did not help Lord Seunghyun in his promotion, perhaps it would not be this hard for the King.

 

-----




The ambassador that arrived that morning brought good news for Junsu, saying that Junho had entrusted him with a letter.

Junsu opened the letter almost immediately after he entered his chamber at the Royal Quarters, eager to hear news from his brother. He could not keep the smile off from his face as he broke the wax seal and unrolled the parchment.

He then began to read. Junho spoke of trivial things at first: of how beautiful late spring was in Sevaecia, trees had started to sprout their green leaves, flowers had begun to blossom and the rivers and lakes are now filled with clear water. Mirieth obviously missed Junsu, for she was constantly seeking the same path over and over again and that Junho was the only one who could ride her, for she refused to be ridden by others. At one point she even threw a young stable boy off her back.

Junsu laughed at that, knowing how stubborn his mare could be. His heart was filled with sudden wish to be back at home again, but he soon chased away that thought. His place was now here, at the Great Kingdom of Cardonna and his life at Sevaecia was no more.

Perhaps one day, when this war was over, he could sail to Sevaecia and visited his brother again.

Junho then spoke of how hard their people work at the farms. In order to keep their part of the bargain of this alliance, to supply the Kingdom of Cardonna with necessary provisions, the Sevaecians had to double their food production, just as Junsu had thought. It was by no means an easy task, but Junho saw that as a challenge.

Their Ada was well and Junho said he also missed his second son. 

But then Junho also spoke of his worries. In his last letter to his older twin, Junsu had told him of how strange everything was in Cardonna, and that the cold was bothering him as well as the loneliness. He had also written of how unsure he was of the King, for at that time the King and Junsu were still not on speaking terms.

Junho, in return, grew worried of Junsu. He reminded him to be patient, and that he had to understand the King’s burden. Junho had even apologized for there was nothing he could do for Junsu except sending encouraging letters, for they could not far speak each other since they had been separated too far. He also had heard of how the dark forces grew stronger and how he wished for Junsu to be safe, away from harm.

Junsu realized then that he had unknowingly burdened his brother. He should not have done so. Junho had many things in his mind, he had great responsibilities as the next heir and Junsu knew he should not add to that burden.

Sighing, he was determined to write replying letter to his brother as soon as he had the chance. He would speak of lighter things, of how his relationship with the King was now improving. He was even allowed to have his own blades and arrows soon. Both he and the King had visited the royal blacksmith last week to make Junsu’s weapon of choice.

“What are you reading?” suddenly a voice was heard.

Junsu turned around in surprise only to see the King stood nearby, the door of Junsu’s chamber was opened behind him. 

The King seemed to understand that he had given his Consort a fright. “I apologize. I have knocked and no one answered,” he said guiltily.

“Forgive me my Lord, I was too engrossed in reading. The ambassador gave me this: a letter from my brother.”

“How is he doing?” the King asked as he closed the door.

Junsu prayed his heartbeat would settle as the King walked closer to him. “There are many things he has to do, but I believe he is well. He sends you his regard,” Junsu added as he remembered what was written in the letter.

“Please do send one in return when you have replied the letter,” the King answered and he soon lied down on the bed, closing his eyes. Fatigues and weariness written on his face and Junsu could not help but feel concerned. His heart ached at seeing his husband in such state. The Council meeting must be a heavy burden to him more than Junsu had thought. It was not easy after all, to be challenged by one of the noble houses and with each passing day, the Dark Lord’s forces would only grow stronger.

“You seem tired, my Lord,” Junsu pointed out carefully. “Perhaps you would care for some wine?”

The King nodded tiredly and Junsu rose to pour the spiced wine to a clear silver goblet. He then walked to the bed and handed it to the King, helping him to sit so that he could drink without spilling the wine. Junsu watched as the King sipped on the heady drink.

Unconsciously his hand began to caress the King’s back soothingly, hoping that it might help to calm the other. In his heart he wished for the King to know that he had Junsu’s support, no matter how little and trivial it might be. 

He did not expect when the King suddenly hugged him, the wine goblet spilt its content on the bed and Junsu could feel his King’s body trembled slightly. “What should I do,” he whispered and it was so lost, so unlike him it broke Junsu’s heart. “I am at lost at what to do.”

For a moment Junsu did not know how to answer. This was the first time he had ever seen the King like this. And so he did the first thing that came to his mind. He wound his arms around the King, giving the embrace in return and hold the trembling body close.

He could feel the deep, uneven, raggedy breath of the King’s and he knew then that his husband must have cried.


-End of Chapter Ten-


Glossary:
Mae govannen =Well met
Mellon-nin= my friend
Valar = gods
Ada = father