Chapter Thirteen

Golden Rule
Golden Rule
Chapter Thirteen
By: Sharl





There were gasps and surprised exclamations as his husband’s body swayed but Junsu heard none of it. He chose not to. His mind was focused onto the King’s limp form, knowing full well that poison had spread fast and strong. 

They had planned for this to happen, but nevertheless it still felt as if it was a nightmare. His hands trembled as he felt how cold the King’s skin was. The other’s body was sweaty, shivering and his lips had turned blue. “My Lord?” Junsu asked frantically.

Something was not right. The poison was not supposed to spread this fast. He gazed up to see the shocked faces of all nobles, more so of the Lords’ from the House of Harp as they were the one who gave the drinks to the King. He caught the exchanged panic look between them and Junsu knew that he still had roles to play in this charade.

“Seize them!” he shouted. 

Eric and his men moved at once; caught the two Lords amongst them who protested most vehemently, declaring their innocence. “What is this? Release us! We did not know what has happened, and we do not have any part in it, we swear!”

However Junsu did not respond to those words, as he himself grew panic. “Come, carry the King to the Royal Chambers and call the healers!” he heard Andy commanded some of the guards. As the King’s limp body was carried, whispers and shouted were heard across the Hall of Heavenly Arch. There was no dance, no music to drown Lord Dongwook’s protests as he and Lord Seunghyun were dragged out with force from the hall.

Moments later a frantic bustle had taken place at the Royal Chamber. The healers had been summoned, and they all appeared wanting to take part of the King’s healing process. Junsu knew that he had to give an appearance for the healers some time to examine the King before he could give the antidote to the King himself. It was all to reduce suspicion that might arose, after all what would people say if he forbids the healers to look at the King?

However they were taking too much time and even bickered amongst themselves. In the end Junsu grew impatient. Something in his heart told him that this had not going as planned. “Out! If you all will only argue, I must ask all of you to leave.”

One healer then argue, “But my King’s Consort, we are here to heal the King! If it was not us, then who will?”

Junsu took a step forward and glared at the healer who dared speak against him. “I will,” he said determinedly. “I have learned the ways of healing back in Sevaecia. If I encountered any problem, that I will ask for your help, but for now, please, let me tend to my husband.”

He saw the unsure look flickered at the healer’s eyes, but he knew he had touched a soft spot. By calling the King as ‘my husband’, Junsu implied unwavering loyalty and love, and who dared to step between that? One by one, the healers bowed and left the room until there was no one but Junsu, Eric, and Andy, for the royal guards still had to guard the royalties.

Fetching a key from his robes, Junsu spoke. “Andy, there is a chest hidden in the corner stand, please bring it to me,” Junsu said as he hurriedly kneeled besides the bed. The King had closed his eyes and it only worried him even more so. He tried to find the pulse, a bit relieved when he could still feel it. But the pulse was faint. He had to quickly give the antidote.

The poison that was administered was supposed to be from one specific plant, and the antidote came from the same plant. It was only found in the deep forest at the Western Border, which Lord Jaejoong from the House of Golden Flower himself had looked for a couple of weeks back. 

Lord Jaejoong had taken few leaves to make the poison from, but he gave the rest to the King’s Consort. Junsu then had hidden the plant in that chest ever since. He then put it in the corner stand and locked it, always carrying the key with him. Not even the King knew there was a chest there and therefore it was the safest place in the entire Royal Chamber. 

“Is this what you are looking for, my Lord?” Andy asked. In his hand was a small chest made of brass, a Sevaecian symbol was carved on it.

Junsu nodded. “Yes it is, thank you.” Grabbing the chest, he pressed on one corner of it while pushing at the bottom. It was the trick to open this chest, for it was a custom made for the Sevaecian royalty only. His father had given this to him for safekeeping, and Junsu was now grateful that he had brought it with him. Even though the stand’s key might fall into the wrong hands, no one could open this chest except for those few who knew how.

Opening it, Junsu sighed in relief when he saw the plant there. Judging from the amount of leaves that were still attached, no one could have even known that the plant was there. He plucked some from their branches and crushed them to make a paste in an empty bowl. “Fetch me some water.”

When Eric came with a bowl of clean water, Junsu poured some on the paste and mixed them together. The antidote was ready. Now the King had only to drink it. 

Junsu brought the bowl close to the King’s blue and shivering lips and pleaded, “My King, you have to drink this. It is the antidote, it will heal you.” The King did not stir. A little of the antidote was spilt on his chin and down his robe. 

However Junsu did not give up. He could not. And so he tried again. He gently parted the King’s lips and poured the antidote in, wishing with all his heart that the King would swallow them. But the King again, did not. He only lay limp as if he was a lifeless doll.

A full-blown panic came over Junsu. No, this was all wrong. The poison was not supposed to work this fast. By the time Junsu would administer the antidote, the King was supposed to remain conscious and could still swallow it. But why could he not now? 

“My Lord?” Eric sounded frightened and it only brought more fear to Junsu’s heart. Tears started to gather in his eyes as he was, for once, at lost at what to do. His hand trembled as he tried again and again to make the King swallow but it was fruitless. 

Acting out of desperation, Junsu drank some of the antidote and held it in his mouth. Kissing his husband with as much love as he could muster, he poured the antidote little by little. His hand gently massaged the King’s throat, trying to trigger some movement on them.

After what seemed as forever, he finally felt a movement and realized that the King had swallowed. Releasing the King’s mouth, he saw it by his own eyes that yes, the King had really swallowed the antidote. The method worked. 

Junsu quickly drank some more of the antidote and repeated his action, again and again until finally all the antidote had been drank by the King. He could feel a trickle of hope flared inside of him. Now he could only wait for the antidote to work.

He waited and waited and waited with fear in his heart, but as minutes passed by, the King still did not awake. Junsu cried out, checking his husband’s pulse and even putting his ear on top of the other’s chest, trying to hear the heartbeat himself. Why the King was not awake yet? The antidote had already been administered and he should have awoken by now.

What went wrong? 

“Why is he not awake?” Junsu whispered to no one. Tears that had pooled on his eyes now fell down as he gathered the King’s cold body in his arms. “Please,melamin, be awake. Do not leave me. I cannot lose you, not now, not ever.” 

Oh Valar, please help my King, I beg of you, Junsu whispered in his heart. The thought that he might lose the one he loved felt very real. This was hardly fair. They had just found their happiness, and now should they be separated by death? Surely not. 

The sweet memory, the one of them declaring their love to each other merely hours ago brought more pain for Junsu. There were still so many things he would like to say, to cherish with his husband. He was not ready, he would never be ready to lose him. If that really happened, Junsu was just as good as dead, for the grief was too much for him.

Cradling his husband close, he cried, with only the two Royal Guards as his witnesses.

“Please.” 


-End of Chapter Thirteen-


Glossary:
Valar = gods
Melamin = My Love