Chapter Twelve

Golden Rule
Golden Rule
Chapter Twelve
By: Sharl




IthilI was high at the night sky.

He could hear the sounds of celebration echoing in the castle’s walls. Music and laughter filled the night air, and from his balcony above at the Royal Quarters, Junsu could see silhouette of the nobles danced. They seemed happy, something that Junsu longed to feel but he knew happiness was not for him.

Not tonight.

The door was opened. However he did not need to turn around to see who it might be, for he knew there was only one who could enter without announcement. 

His mind whirled to the moment when the King had told him of his plan. The first thing that Junsu felt was disbelief, then confusion followed by realization and finally anger. He had understood the King’s position, the difficulty he faced and the burden he had to carry. Junsu had seen it himself when the King wept in their chamber and he could fee his heart clench by the mere memory of it. No one should carry such heavy responsibility, and certainly not one that was as young as the King.

Junsu wished to help his King, he knew of this, but for the Valar’s sake: did it have to be this way?

The King’s plan was not a sound one. He remembered when the Lord of Golden Flower had opposed the plan strongly and deep in his heart Junsu wished that perhaps with Lord Jaejoong’s influence, the King would change his mind. He was not the only one who was uncomfortable with the plan, and he now wished that he had not agree to this.

Junsu wrapped his cloak tighter, his body began to shiver but it was not the cold that seeped through him. It was of fear and anger melded into one. How dare he? How dare did the King give him such important task? Junsu would have the King’s life in his hand, literally, and it was such an important task. 

On a broader scheme, it was not only the King’s life, but the lives of all beings in Arda rested on his hand. Without the King, then the Kingdom of Cardonna would have very little chance to stand up against the Dark Kingdom and as such, all lives were now at peril.

What if the plan did not go as what they wished it to be? What if the King did not wake up and he would be dead permanently? Junsu closed his eyes, his breath turned harsher as a sob caught in his throat. Even the mere thought of his husband lying at the brink of death brought pain in his heart.

A realization then came to Junsu, and it filled his mind with dread: when had King Changmin become such important person for him? And why did he only realize this now, when this night could be the very last night he would be with his love?

“Junsu? Are you well?”

He gasped in surprise and turned to see the King himself stood at the balcony door, a heavy cloak in his hand and his handsome face was marred with frown. “You have been outside for too long. Please come inside and step near the fire.”

But Junsu did not move. He stared at the King, the forgotten anger was rekindled for a brief moment, but it was quenched down when he gaze upon the worry look on the King’s face.

“I wanted to be so angry with you,” he whispered. “I really do. How dare you give me this task?”

Junsu did not wait for the King as he continued to speak, the words flow down like a river in summer, “If something goes not as planned, do you know what I would feel? Have you even considered it? I agreed to this plan, for I know it is the only way to unite all the Noble Houses. But what if Lord Jaejoong was right and I will not give the antidote in time?”

His grip on his own cloak tightened, and his body shivered, “How can I forgive myself?”

He closed his eyes and bowed his head, for tears started to roll down and he did not wish for the King to see it. He bit his lips to not let out any sobs, a habit he had developed since he was little. His heart ached; the mere thought of the possibility of him losing his husband brought too much grief. 

A warm palm cupped his face, brushing his tears away. Junsu looked sideways for he still did not want to see the other. He knew he was acting childlike, but surely he was allowed to do so this one time?

However the King was nothing if not insistent. He gently turned Junsu’s face back to face the King. “You will be fine,” Junsu heard his husband spoke; his tone was gentle as if he was speaking to the dearest person in his life, “You will be a great ruler in my place. I have faith in you.”

A burst of white anger spread like a lightning bolt through Junsu. He slapped the King’s hand away and took a step back, wanting to put as many distance as possible for he knew he would lash out to the other if he did not do so. “Of course you have faith,” he spat the words, “You will be dead. And I am the one who has to live without you!”

Junsu gasped out loud. He could not believe what he had just said and Junsu was sure his eyes would be so wide now. He could hear his heart thumping fast. Biting his lips, he dared himself to look at the King and felt just as embarrassed when he saw the surprised look.

Fool, what are you saying? He berated himself.

“I apologize. I did not mean to raise my voice, my Lord,” Junsu quickly added, “We should go. They are waiting for us.” Brushing passed the King’s surprised frame at the balcony door, he rushed by and walked towards the Royal Chamber’s entrance. His heart was still thumping fast, a blush on his cheek as he realized what he had just said. 

He opened the door, prepared to walk out only to have the door slammed shut by the King.

Junsu froze for the briefest moment and before he knew what was happening, two arms wound themselves across his waist. “Say it,” he heard the King spoke; it was whispered so close to his ear and it brought his heart beat even faster.

“Say it, Junsu, I wish to hear those words from you,” the King whispered again. His hot breath against Junsu’s ear brought pleasant shiver to the Consort’s body. Suddenly his body was turned around, so that his back was on the door. Junsu looked up to his husband’s face, watching as that handsome face held so many hopes on it.

He could have said it. After all, only Valar knows whether it would be the last he could ever say those words. However Junsu’s heart yearned for one answer. Did the King love him back? And so he asked, his voice trembled as he spoke, “Will you say the same words to me?”

Amin mela lle,” the King cut him suddenly.

Junsu’s eyes widened. He did not expect his husband to say it back, let alone spoke it before Junsu did.

“There. I have done my part,” the King said, “Now come, you have to say it. I wish to hear it from these beautiful lips,” he traced his fingers across Junsu’s lips. It left a tingling trail and Junsu tried hard to control his heartbeat.

Mela lle beika,” he finally said.

A beautiful smile blossomed on the King’s face and Junsu could contain himself no longer. He leaned forward and kissed his husband’s lips. Almost immediately the King returned the kiss. It was soft at first, only two lips touching and pressing together, but before long it grew desperate, as if the owners knew this could be the last time they would kiss. They put everything in it: desperation, love, hope, regret, compassion. Their tongues danced with each other and arms wounds around themselves, holding the other’s tight.

When they had separated, they were both out of breath. Junsu hugged his husband close, his eyes shimmered with tears. He was such a fool. Why did he not realize this earlier? And now this could be the last time he would be able to kiss the man he loved, the last he held the other’s body.

He realized that the King was thinking the same thoughts, as he felt the arms around him tightened even more. Fingers caressed his hair, wounding themselves in the silken pale blond strands. “I am thankful, for although this might be our last time together, I hear the most wonderful words from you.”

“No, please, do not speak of it,” Junsu suddenly spoke without thought. “Do not ever speak of it my Lord even if it is just a mere passing thought.” He held the King’s at arm’s length, and stared at the other’s eyes, “This will end well,melamin, the Valar will help us.”

He had said those words only to give himself encouragement, for he needed all the bravery in Arda if he was to do what was asked of him. He felt kisses on his hand and then the King whispered, “Pen-vuil, perhaps you are the greatest giftValar has ever given me with.”

And the two stayed close with each other until a messenger came to fetch them. They did not speak, content to enjoy the other’s presence. As they walked towards the Hall of the Heavenly Arch, their hands were clasped together.

 

-----




The minstrels outdid themselves as they adorned the hall with bright music and cheerful tones. It brought laughter across the hall whenever a song ended and the dancers paused to catch their breaths. But soon a different tune played and the dance hall was filled yet once again. 

As the most awaited festival in the entire Kingdom, the Yule Festive brought joys to all elves and they were eager to spend their time with dancing and drinking merrily. Foods were plenty and were stacked to every walls, so that the center space would remain empty for those who wished to dance. 

Junsu forced a smile on his face as yet another advisor stepped up to him and the King. He accepted the goblet being offered by the advisor and sipped on it. The warmth of the miruvor warmed him almost immediately. “Hanon lle,” he said.

“It is I who should thank you, my Lord,” said the advisor, “In the mere months that you have stayed with us, we have seen great changes of the King.” Perhaps the advisor saw Junsu’s confused look, for he soon laughed and continued, “Have you not realize it, King Consort? You have made our King happy.”

“Oh,” Junsu could feel his cheek heat up as he blushed, “You are very kind.”

The advisor laughed again and bowed to the royal pair. After he left, Junsu turned to look at his husband and was surprised to find similar blush on the King’s face. “That is Junjin,” the King explained, “One of my father’s most trusted advisors and he always treated me as a child.”

Junsu smiled, his heart warming as he did so. “You are lucky to have many people who wish you well, my King.”

The King took hold of Junsu’s hand and caressed it gently, “Yes. And for that I am grateful.”

Junsu would have said something, but he found himself suddenly tongue tied as the King’s hand on his was most distracting. The King seemed to know this, as he continued to caress and their hands were entwined together until the Lords from the House of Harps stepped towards them.

Mae govannen, my King and my King’s Consort,” said Lord Dongwook with a bow. Besides him, Lord Seunghyun followed suit. Lord Dongwook smiled charmingly, “This is one of the most joyous moments, my Lords, for Yule Festive always brought such joys to all of us.”

He then clapped twice and a servant clad in the uniform from the House of Harp appeared, carrying a silver tray with two goblets on it. “As per tradition commanded, we are honored to give you each a toast. And for today we have prepared some ale from the dwarves at the Blue Mountain, for dwarves are most famed with their ales.”

“That is certainly the best place to get ales, Lord Dongwook,” Junsu heard the King commented. He gazed past the two Lords from the House of Harp to see Lord Jaejoong who stood nearby nodded once, signaling that he had indeed poisoned the drinks.

The King must have seen it too, for his hand suddenly shook a bit.

Thinking quickly, Junsu smiled at the two Lords, wanting to distract their attentions from the King. It would not do if they suspect something. “You must tell me how to get these ales my Lord,” he said, “I have long heard of this drink but alas, it is impossible to get them in Sevaecia.”

“But if I told you, my King’s Consort, then I have to find new things to give you then,” Lord Dongwook said tactfully.

Junsu laughed, although he understood very well the meaning of those words. The Lord from the House of Harp did not wish for Junsu to know how to establish contact with the dwarves and therefore he kept the connection to himself. Perhaps they were already allies, ready to join forces once Lord Dongwook has seized the throne.

Lord Seunghyun handed one of the goblets to the King, and one to Junsu. “We should propose a toast,” he announced in loud voice, gathering more attention to the royal pairs, “This is to our King’s longevity and to our King’s Consort’s. May the Valar bless them and the stars give light to their ways.”

Junsu raised his own goblet and saw from the corner of his eyes that the King did the same. He watched as the King began to drink, his heart cried out in worry, but he knew he must keep the smile on his face and not to give any of the two Lords from the House of Harp any reason to be suspicious.

He himself must not drink the wine or he would be poisoned as well, and so he said in an embarrassed tone, accompanied with a small smile, “You must forgive me if I do not drink much of it my Lords, for I am not accustomed yet to all these drinks in Cardonna. Perhaps as time pass, I will be more tolerant but for now I feel light-headed already.”

Lord Dongwook let out a polite chuckle, “Indeed I understand. But you have to try this ale my King’s Consort, even if it is only a sip.”

Junsu laughed awkwardly, knowing that he at least had to pretend to drink it. Biding his time, he raised his goblet one more time and said, “Well then. I guess this would be the moment of truth.” He then brought his goblet near to his lips and was about to drink some of it when the King suddenly cough.

The King’s goblet clanked loudly to the stone floor, some of the leftover ale spilled as the King himself coughed violently. Junsu turned and watched with trepidation as the King began to sway, his breath choked and his lips began to turn blue. 

“My Lord?” Junsu heard Lord Dongwook’s confused tone, but he paid no heed to it. His own goblet clattered on the floor as Junsu quickly reached the King, made it in time to catch his husband’s fallen form before it hit the ground.

And so it began.


-End of Chapter Twelve-


Glossary:
Ithil= moon
Arda = time/earth
Valar = gods
Amin mela lle = I love you
Mela lle beika = I love you too
Melamin = My Love
Pen-vuil = dear one
Hanon lle = thank you
Mae govannen =Well met