The Couple Rings

'The' Universe

Doojoon cracked his eyes open to find a comfortable weight resting on top of his body and a mess of blond hair on his chest. A sleepy smile crept to his face as he tightened his arm around the younger boy’s waist and weaved his fingers on the mess of bright hair, feeling the soft and fluffy strands grazing his palm and fingers. Yoseob shifted a little, groaned a little, because of the intrusion, but went straight back to his slumber and buried his face deeper into Doojoon’s chest, legs tangling with the elder’s.



And Doojoon’s mind started working, plotting, planning, thinking, organizing his next move to claim Yoseob as his. He was not one to say ‘I love you’. He was not even sure if he knew the true meaning of it. He was more of a do-it person instead of a say-it, and he religiously believed that actions spoke louder than words, so saying those three words might not be important at all. 



“Doojoonie stop thinking, sleep, please. I’m tired, I need to sleep,” Yoseob slurred his words sleepily as he shifted around and turned to his side, his back facing Doojoon. The older moved slightly, catching Yoseob by the waist and pressed the blonde’s back to his sturdy chest, whispering lightly in Yoseob’s ear, “What time did you sleep last night?” Yoseob grunted sleepily and rearranged himself to mold into Doojoon’s body, placing his hand on top of Doojoon’s hand that encircled his waist, “Not long after you.”



Yoseob had been losing sleep lately, not being able to sleep properly weakened him, it deteriorated his health, and Doojoon was beyond worried. He had been asking, asked too many times but Yoseob refused to answer, saying he was fine, he was just tired, exhaustion from school and exams and projects and with Doojoon. So Doojoon tried to cut down on but Yoseob always initiated it, although Doojoon had expressed his concern to the younger, he always received the same straightforward answer, “But I’m ,” and no man or woman in this universe, sane or insane, including Doojoon, could decline the invitation. 



“Yoseobah, shall we go out today?” Doojoon kissed the younger’s nape softly, waiting for an answer, which Yoseob replied with a soft hum of approval. Doojoon grinned to himself and continued kissing Yoseob’s shoulder before joining Yoseob in dreamland.





It was two hours and twelve minutes later when the both of them were fresh and ready to go. Yoseob insisted that he did not need new clothes and such (because he’d rather sleep in) and by the look of Doojoon’s walk-in closet, he too was not in dire need of new clothes. But Doojoon insisted, and Yoseob always lost the argument, especially the ones that included kisses and tongue curling in his mouth. 



They left Yoseob too breathless to even retort back.



So there they were, pacing through the most expensive and exclusive shopping mall in Seoul, before stopping in front of an elegant and classy jewelry store. Yoseob pulled Doojoon back when the older was about to walk straight in. “Doojoonah, the sign says it’s closed.” Yoseob blinked in confusion, eyes hammered on the store’s glass door. Doojoon chuckled, “It is closed for everyone else, but no store is ever closed for me.” Yoseob gave him his signature what-the- look, “Seriously, I mean seriously, you should tone down that cockiness of yours. It's despicable.” Doojoon grinned and pulled the younger into the closed jewelry store. 



The jewelry store was empty, but the glass showcases glistened under the strong spotlights, exhibiting the diamonds and the gold and the silver and the platinum and the pearls and the jade, housed neatly in their own artistic sections. Yoseob felt weird – absolutely out of place, absolutely awkward, absolutely inferior – when he took the first step into the store, he did not belong in here, this was foreign, this was new, and Yoseob was honestly scared.



Doojoon, on the other hand, walked in with confidence, with ease, strolling around the store – holding Yoseob’s hand tightly in his – examining the jewelries displayed inside the glass boxes, asking occasional questions to Yoseob if he would like anything at all, pointing at rings, at necklaces, at bracelets, at pendants, at everything before a man appeared from the hallway of the store.



“Doojoonah,” the man smiled warmly at Doojoon. He was well-built, slightly shorter than Doojoon, with deep round eyes, noticeable eye bags under his eyes (“Doojoonie I think he should sleep more, his eye bags are scaring me,” Doojoon chuckled), warm big smile, and perfect white teeth. 



Doojoon smiled back, “Seungho Hyung,” and proceeded to hug the older male warmly. Seungho then averted his attention to Yoseob, “Yang Yoseob,” Yoseob held his gaze on him and nodded, “It was a pleasure meeting you, finally.” The warm smile extended into a full toothy grin and Yoseob smiled back, although awkwardly, but he smiled back nonetheless.




“So, Yoon Doojoon and Yang Yoseob, this way please.” Seungho led them to a separated jewelry counter near the far end of the spacious store and motioned them to take a seat in front of the showcase. 
“So Hyung, you are taking over the business then, I see?” Doojoon pulled Yoseob along, still holding the younger’s hand tightly. Seungho chuckled, “Yeah, won’t we all take over the business one day, Doojoonah? You are taking over the hotel too, aren’t you?” 



Yoseob was confused as ever when the two man continued catching up, laughter filling the conversation here and there. 



When they reached the intended counter and sat down on the stools, Yoseob’s frown deepened, “Who’s getting married, Doojoonie?” Yoseob scanned the vast selections of couple rings neatly tucked in pairs and looked up to stare at Doojoon.



Doojoon stared back, “Which one would you like?” Yoseob smiled softly, “That depends on the people we are choosing them for. So who are we choosing them for?” 



Doojoon fixed his gaze on Yoseob, “No, I mean, which one would you like. I am buying us couple rings, Seobie.” Yoseob’s expression went hard as he pulled his hand out of Doojoon’s grasp, “Why?” 



Doojoon smiled at the younger, ruffled his blond hair, and took back the younger’s hand in his, “Because we are a couple. Hyung, are there other couple rings in those showcases?” Doojoon scrunched up his nose at Seungho, “I don’t think he likes anything here.”



Seungho chuckled, “Doojoonah, this is the couple rings counter, especially built for couples who are looking for rings. They are out of the usual jewelry showcases because we would like them to choose privately, without anyone disturbing. So the answer is no, unfortunately these are all I’ve got for you guys.” 



“Your store ,” Doojoon murmured to Seungho and the older shot back at him, “Yah, I am your Hyung, how could you do this to me. You did not even invite me to the occasion you had and now – “



“Doojoonie, this one is nice,” Yoseob’s voice was soft and hesitant, he pointed at the platinum bands with small square diamond and the well-natured bickering between the two old friends stopped immediately. Seungho smiled and wore his glove, instinctively taking the said pairs out of the display case and showed them to the couple, “Very trained eyes, Yoseob. This pair right here – “



“We’ll take it.” 



Yoseob whipped his head to Doojoon’s direction, “No Doojoonie – I mean they are nice – I was just saying – was just asking if – it’s – I don’t mean to – “ Seungho chuckled softly at the immensely adorable scene playing in front of him, Doojoon was just being plain obvious and Yoseob was just being plain lovable. And the foolish grin on Doojoon’s face, even the blind could see how foolishly in love he was right now. 




Everyone but Yoseob.






Doojoon and Yoseob went out of the jewelry store hand in hand, couple rings slipped on their fingers, a wide grin on Doojoon’s face, a serious blush on Yoseob’s cheeks. When they tried the rings, they were of the perfect size and Doojoon instantly slipped it onto Yoseob’s finger and his own, threatening to have with the younger twenty times a day, every day, if he ever took the ring off. When Seungho asked if they wanted engraving, Doojoon easily told him that he would keep the engraving for their wedding rings, and Yoseob’s eyes widened in embarrassment and bewilderment.




Yoseob was confused, downright perplexed, everything happened in a sudden and now he had couple rings with Doojoon. Are they a couple, officially a couple, or are the rings just embellishments to strengthen their deal? As soon as they came out of the store, Yoseob opened his mouth to ask, to confirm, to know, but Doojoon immediately placed a soft kiss on his lips, eyes twinkled in amusement, happiness?, as he asked, “Should we have chicken feet for lunch, baby?”