The Encounter

'The' Universe

Junhyung met her.


Long, soft, wavy brown hair. Big doe eyes. Small pouty lips. White porcelain skin. Twinkle in her eyes. Brightness in her smiles. 


Junhyung met her.


It was a cold night when they met. It was in France. It was during Junhyung’s Chef Conference. It was because they both took the only-one-left éclair on the silver platter during dinner buffet in the conference building’s grand ballroom. It was coincidental, absolutely unplanned. It was the stare she gave him that made Junhyung loosened his grip on the éclair. It was the big round eyes with chocolate orbs. It was the smile afterwards when Junhyung let go. It was the happiness that emanated out of her petite frame. 


Not getting the last éclair, Junhyung imagined Hyunseung double up in laughter and calling him a sore loser. 


She was Goo Hara. She was a chocolatier. She was on the conference, just like Junhyung. She was a rising star in the chocolatier scene, much like how Junhyung was the ultimate dark horse in the French cuisine scene. She was a pint-sized, slender woman and Junhyung wondered how she maintained her figure with all the chocolates around her. She was bubbly and charming and sociable. She was sharp and nimble and precise.


She created chocolates and Junhyung would love to take Hyunseung for a taste of her creation. 


They exchanged greetings the next time they met. They exchanged phone numbers during their next encounter. They had lunch together after that. They had lunch and dinner after that. They walked down the pavement, lit with lights from the roadside stores. They are young and attractive. They held hands, when Junhyung helped Hara cross the road. They talked. They whispered. They gave advice. They offered opinions. They shared jokes. They shared laughter. They shared stories. They shared dreams.



Junhyung remembered him.


Short, soft orange hair (Yah Seungah, you look like a bloody carrot). Big doe eyes (Yah Seungah, stop giving me that stares, you creeper!) Small pouty lips (Yah Seungah, don’t pout, you look retarded. Yoseob looks so much cuter with that). White porcelain skin (Yah Seungah, you should really get under the sun, I mean really). 


Stars in his eyes. Sunshine in his smiles.


Junhyung remembered him.



Junhyung remembered them.


They flirted. They teased. They had their moments. They were happy. They were jealous. They nagged. They got angry. They broke furniture when they got angry. They fought. They screamed at each other. They shouted at the top of their lungs. They left when they were upset. They made up. They came back after they cooled down. They kissed. They hugged. They held hands. They made love. They apologized. They had breakfast and lunch and dinner together. They lived together, the apartment next door that Hyunseung bought for Junhyung was just a big hoax. They shared promises. They shared secrets. 


And Junhyung would want to add on a new memory when he remembered them. 


They loved. 


Junhyung wanted to remember that they love.