The Beginning (2)

'The' Universe

 

Dongwoon entered the quaint café frantically, a piece of paper in his hand, eyes scanning anxiously. After searching for a while, he finally found Kikwang sitting at the corner, looking forlornly out of the window. He rushed to the table and sat down across Kikwang, bringing the older man back to reality.

 

“Been waiting long, Hyung?” Dongwoon grinned, his perfect set of white teeth gleaming under the café’s lightning.

 


Kikwang scoffed at him, “Still remember me after all this while?”

 

Dongwoon completely ignored the sarcasm in Kikwang’s voice as his grin widened in satisfaction, “Hyung, I never forget about you. What are you talking about? Seriously.” He made a “tch” sound while casually pouring in vanilla into his mocha frappuccino.

 

“Yah, you – Son Dongwoon, you ignored me for the past… almost a month so don’t give me that “I never forget about you” crap. What have you been doing all this while?” Kikwang pouted and folded his hands in front of his chest in annoyance.

 

Dongwoon leaned forward, eyes gleaming with mischief as he held up a piece of paper that looked really important, especially with all the stamps and logos, “This.”

 

Kikwang made a disinterested face at it and turned away, “For a piece of paper? Come on, Dongwoonah.” But his eyes moved to take a peek at the piece of paper, face still looking away, and travelled down the paper to get a closer look of its importance.

 

Dongwoon had a sincerely hurt expression of his face, clutching his chest in a mocking manner, “You hurt me, Hyung. This is my hardwork,” he pushed the piece of paper to Kikwang, “No, Hyung, seriously. Have a read. Really.”

 

Kikwang took the piece of paper and started reading, eyes widened in disbelief as he read over and over again, in case he imagined this or missed a “this is a joke” note at the end of the paper, “Dongwoonah, this is…” He looked up to see the sun shone on Dongwoon’s face.

 

“Hyung, this is our future.” And the sun shone brighter when Dongwoon’s grin got wider.

 

“You – how – I mean – why Dongwoonah – this – what – why – “ Kikwang stuttered his way through while flapping the incredibly important piece of document around. “Yah, you. Explain.” Dongwoon held up his hands to rescue the important piece of paper from Kikwang’s careless grip, “Yah, Hyung, stop – don’t carelessly – give it back.” When Dongwoon had successfully acquired his paper back, he hugged it tightly to his chest and made a disappointed face to the elder, “You almost, Hyung, almost ruined our future.”

 

Kikwang pointed an accusing finger at Dongwoon, “Yah, you’d better explain now.” With the piece of paper safely nestled on Dongwoon’s chest, his wide grin was back on his face, “I am going to London for university.” Kikwang lowered his finger and stared dumbfounded at the younger.

 

“Hyung, I have been learning and scheming my way through English classes and – “ Kikwang ears perked up at the statement, “Scheming you way through?”  Eyebrows raised in curiosity. Dongwon dismissed the elder’s question by fanning his hand in front of Kikwang’s face, “Not important. Anyway, I have been diligently learning and now I am eligible as one of the students in this university I have been eyeing in London.”

 

Kikwang’s mouth gaped open, “I thought you were failing your grades, which was why you took extra classes, right?” Dongwoon snorted at this statement, “Yah, I am one of the best in my class, I needed extra classes for this university entrance exam. I am going to London for my study.”

 

Dongwoon stared happily at the shocked man in front of him, Kikwang winced his eyes, “When are you going to London? For your study.” Dongwoon took a sip of his frappuccino, “Should be in about a month.”

 

Kikwang leaned back to his chair, “So, we will be going to London – “


“Together. We’ll go to London together.” Dongwoon beamed at Kikwang, “And my Dad has settled everything for us. All we need to do is move in.”

 

“Together?” Kikwang leaned in, voice filled with excitement.

 

Dongwoon nodded, “Yeah.”

 

Now, it seemed that the farewell party Hyunseung had been planning for his departure did not sound so sad at all.



 

It turned out that the farewell party Hyunseung had been planning for Kikwang and Dongwoon was absolutely trampled over by the occasion that Hyunseung arranged for Yoseob and Doojoon, not that Kikwang or Dongwoon was complaining. They, too, were in the exhilaration of the preparation.

 

It was not a wedding, not even an engagement party, it was just an occasion, an occasion to announce that Doojoon and Yoseob were official, that they were to spend the rest of their lives together, that they were foolishly in love, that they were happy, that they were a part of the family.

 

The occasion was not extravagant, it was simple and well-organized, it was different than the swanky and fancy parties that Yoseob attended with Doojoon because it was not about the occasion, it was about the purpose of it.

 

Everyone was there, the friends, the families, the parents, Hyunseung, Junhyung, Dongwoon, and Kikwang. Daniel was there, sincerely congratulating both Doojoon and Yoseob. He hugged Yoseob a little too long for Doojoon’s comfort and the elder faked a cough in order to convey his uneasiness. Seungho was there, leisurely chatting up with Byung Hee at one of the tables in the garden, raising his glass of champagne when his eyes met Doojoon’s. Jiyong was behind his table full of electronic devices, mixing some songs to complete the perfect atmosphere. Everyone gathered to celebrate, to congratulate, to wish the best, but no one was happier than Doojoon’s parents.

 

Yoseob thought that Doojoon’s parents were probably happier about this than Doojoon or himself.

 

Yoseob was pulled here and there, being introduced to the others as the son-in-law, proudly presented to the whole world. Yoseob cringed at the sound of it at first because it was foreign, because it was weird, but he slowly warmed up to it and began grinning like a fool every time he was introduced as the son-in-law.

 

Doojoon was busy lecturing Kikwang and Dongwoon, asking them to be careful in London, to be mindful of each other’s feelings, to be aware of their surroundings, to do their best in whatever they do, to stay together, to live for each other every day. Yoseob heard a faint “You two should stick together, okay? Don’t lose sight of who you are” from Doojoon before the younger tapped Doojoon’s shoulder.

 

A cheeky grin on Yoseob face when he asked, “Can I have a dance with you?” Doojoon turned around and smiled lovingly at Yoseob. He said a few last words to Dongwoon and Kikwang before intertwining his fingers with Yoseob’s and lead him towards the small wooden platform in the middle of the garden. He wrapped his strong arms around Yoseob’s waist, while the younger slid his hands around Doojoon’s neck. Yoseob rested his cheek on Doojoon’s shoulder, while the elder whispered in Yoseob’s ear, “Are you happy?”

 

Yoseob nodded, “Ecstatic.” He heard a soft chuckle from Doojoon and continued, “This is like a perfect ending,” Yoseob sighed, “You know? The happily ever-after kind?”

 

Doojoon tightened his hold on Yoseob’s waist, “This is not an ending, Yoseobah. This is a new beginning.”

 

“So this is not the happily ever-after kind?” Yoseob pulled away slightly to look at Doojoon’s face.

 

Doojoon’s smile was sincere, it was honest, it was dependable, “It’s a new beginning with a happily ever-after ending. It always is, as long as I’m with you.” Yoseob beamed and rested his cheek back on Doojoon’s shoulder.

 

They were swaying softly to the sweet music from the speakers, while other couples started joining them on the dance floor, swaying softly to the music, enjoying holding and being held.

 


I'll be there



When the world stops turning



I'll be there



When the storm is through



In the end I wanna be standing



At the beginning with you