The Cheques

'The' Universe

A/N: This is just a piece of my mind as a side shot, not really a full chapter because nothing is really going on here. But I just feel it will be beautiful to write something relevant to their deal, I hope this is not too confusing. As always comments are loved <3


A piece of paper that connected two lives together.


Doojoon hated giving cheques to Yoseob, but they were part of the deal and he was not one to breach any of his promises. It was always given when Yoseob tied his shoelace before going to school and Doojoon helped him tie the other shoelace, when Yoseob prepared ingredients for dinner and Doojoon watched with amusement from the kitchen doorframe, when Yoseob drank his milk during breakfast and Doojoon wiped clean the milk mustache from Yoseob’s upper lips, when Yoseob watched his favorite dramas on TV and Doojoon warmed him a cup of Chrysanthemum tea, when Yoseob came out of the shower and Doojoon helped him dry his hair, it was always during these ordinary moments.


It was never before or after . Just because Doojoon’s heart could not handle that level of intimacy.


There was one too many times in which Doojoon wished to propose a new deal, an eternal deal, one that involved the both of them, and their hearts, and their lives, and their futures, together. He wanted to plead, to coo, to beg, to woo, to force, to coerce, to blackmail Yoseob into agreeing, but he always ended up giving the piece of paper to Yoseob with a pain in his heart and his eyes.


Indeed, Doojoon had had girlfriends and potential boyfriends; he was no saint and admitted that he had been involved in a few adventurous relationships with unique treatments in the bedroom, not that he was complaining about it. But they never stayed, or more along the lines of Doojoon never let them stay. It was always the same old boring archaic reasons, they snored, they whined, they lied, they nagged, they cheated, they were too clingy, too possessive, too involved, too dominant, too submissive, too wild, too tame, and the list went on. 


And then Yoseob came and Doojoon felt that God must have taken pity on him when He was planning Doojoon’s life and decided to give him a helping hand, in the form of a Yoseob. While he kicked out people with absurd reasons, he slowly realized that he might have turned into one himself and hoped that Yoseob would not kick himself out and leave him. This was why Doojoon kept the cheques coming. 


He hated cheques because he wanted Yoseob to stay willingly, to stay with him because of him, because he could not live without him, could not breathe without him, could not go on without him. It would be a long-term plan which Doojoon had started the week after Yoseob moved in. For now, cheques had to be sufficient, and Doojoon worked harder than ever to increase his financial capabilities in order to keep Yoseob by his side. 


A piece of paper that connected two hearts into one.


Yoseob hated receiving cheques from Doojoon, but they were part of the deal and he was not one to breach the agreed terms and conditions of it. He received it when Doojoon was helping him tie his left shoelace because he was too-damn-late to school, when Doojoon was leaning against the kitchen doorframe and asked if he wanted to eat out instead of preparing ingredients and cooking, when Doojoon smiled at him in the morning after he drank his milk in one gulp because he just-as-usual-was-always-too-damn-late for school, when Doojoon came out from the kitchen and brought Yoseob a warm fragrant tea although he did not ask for it, when Doojoon shook the towel on Yoseob’s head and helped him dry his hair afterwards, it was always during these ordinary moments. 


It had never been before or after , and Yoseob was thankful and grateful and forever indebted because he did not feel like who got paid after their sessions. 


There were times when Yoseob wanted to break the deal. He wanted to plead, to coo, to beg, to woo, to force, to coerce, to blackmail Doojoon into breaking the deal and let him stay with Doojoon for being Yoseob. But he would not dare to get his heart broken again, so he ended up receiving the piece of paper with a twist in his stomach and sadness in his smiles. 


Yoseob had numerous clients before, he was cute and nice and caring and adventurous and satisfying and the clients loved him. It was great source for pocket money too, and he had to pay Junhyung one day (although the chef insisted that it was such a hassle and asked Yoseob to not think about it because it was too complicated), but he had never spent the night, let alone staying with them. This is the first and Yoseob wanted it to be the last. 


Doojoon had been busier at work, closing more big deals here and there, internationally and locally and Yoseob was lonely. He could not understand Doojoon’s urge to improve his already-more-than-stable financial capabilities and decided to give him a surprise visit to his office and was about to blurt out his stupid thoughts when Hyunseung came in, finding them in a very compromising position of Yoseob being on Doojoon’s lap. He was forever grateful to Hyunseung and wished him the best with Junhyung. 


He hated cheques because they reminded him that he was purchased, an item bought with money (lots of money) and he wanted Doojoon to want him because of him, because he could not live without him, could not breathe without him, could not go on without him. But for now, cheques were enough for Yoseob as he stared at the pile in his wardrobe. He never cashed them in, afraid that the bond would somehow vanish. He did not need to anyways, with Doojoon’s generous allowance every week. He just wanted to keep the cheques intact because maybe, just maybe, they held a special power to glue Doojoon and Yoseob together.


A piece of paper that connected two futures indefinitely.



Doojoon’s and Yoseob’s.