Chapter 4

Cinderella's Aegyo Prince

Impatiently waiting, Kyuhyun walked back and forth and was worried about his highness who was still outisde the palace and has not come back yet. Incidentally, a food servant came knocking to his prince's door that made Kyuyun panic.

"Good evening your highness here is your dinner" the maid reported.

Because of this, Kyuhyun panicked more and as a solution, he jumped on the huge bed and covered himself with the blanket. The maid then entered the room with the knight's permission and placed the tray on the table.

"Thank you" Kyuhyun said imitating Sungmin's voice. When he heard the sound of the door closing, Kyuhyun took a deep breathe and wiped the sweats on his forehead, "Where is that spoiled prince, I'm gonna kill him if he comes home!"

The spoiled prince he was referring to was still with the girl he got interested in, they were walking together still in the hold of the fruits they saved from the sudden incident.

"I'm sorry again" Sungmin broke the silence.

"It's okay it's my fault too" Sunny replied.

After a few more walks the newly acquaintance arrived at the humble home of the Chois. Prince Sungmin even dropped his jaw when he saw the small and simple house.

"This is your house?" he asked.

"Yes, I know it's small and far but we're already happy with this, because this is the only gift my father gave to us" Sunny opened the gate and 5 meters from the gate was their door, she knocked.

"Sunny?" expectedly, it was her brother who opened the door.

"Hi!" Sunny greeted him back but he just threw his angry stare at her.

"What took you so long? And did you work again, you really---" Ryeowook started.

"Brother, not now we have a visitor" Sunny finished.

"Visitor?" Ryeowook looked at Sungmin who was beside Sunny, "and you are?" 

"Oh, I'm Sungmin" he said.

"Come in" Ryeowook looked at Sungmin. While her brother was busy judging their visitor, Sunny came to her mother who is in the kitchen cooking. She pecked her cheeks and smiled.

"Hey mom" she embraced her.

"So I heard we have a visitor, a man?" Sooyoung joked.

"It's just a friend" Sunny said eating some sliced carrots.

"Just a friend? That's what they always say at first" Sooyoung continued slicing the vegetables.

"Mom, you know my brother, if he heard I have a boyfriend he'd totally kill me" Sunny stole another sliced carrots for the second time, but this time her Mother hit her arms, "Hey, don't eat the carrots it's not yet cook."

"Let's talk man to man" Ryeowook said as they sit on the couch, "are you planning something to our Sunny?" 

"Uhmm, I'm sorry I did not get what you mean" Sungmin asked.

"Well you know kids these days, early marriage because of early pregnancy" the old brother explained.

"I'm not like that" Sungmin choked.

"Good, then welcome to the family!" Out of the blue, Ryeowook suddenly hugged Sungmin that caused a confusion to the young man. 

"Brother, dinner's ready" both of the young men looked at the kitchen door and saw Sunny calling out for them.

Sungmin followed Sunny's brother and saw his family preparing for dinner. Sunny and her family were happy chatting as they eat together, while Sungmin was just left alone, quiet eating his dinner.

"Why are you so quiet?" Sunny asked.

"Well, I'm having my dinner" Sungmin replied poisedly and with a formal tone.

"Why are you so formal?" she added.

"Uhmm as you know I grew up in the palace" 

"I thought you just moved in?" 

"Yes, and--from another--palace, you know my mother is working as a servant from another palace" Sungmin nervously alibied.

"I thought your father is the one working?"

"Yes and my father too" when Sungmin realized that Sunny's already asking so many questions, he just agreed with her.

"Oh okay" Sunny finally went back to her food.

On the other side of the table were Sooyoung and Ryeowook who just looked at each other after hearing the youngsters mini debate, they smiled seeing how Sunny got well with Sungmin.

 

~~~

 

"Thanks for the food Mrs. Choi I really enjoyed it!"

After eating the dinner prepared for him, Sungmin then approached Sunny's family for the last time and thanked them for warmly welcoming him to their humble home.

"It's okay, Sunny's friend is our friend too!" Sooyoung replied.

"Sunny accompany Sungmin outside" Ryeowook, as the oldest son helped his mother to walk back to her room. But his mother insisted to walk on her own, "Ryeowook-ah I can still walk, don't baby me."

"But I just wanna serve my beautiful mother today!" Ryeowook said imitating a soldier.

In the end, Ryeowook's orders were followed by his Mother. Nevertheless, Sooyoung bid goodbye to Sungmin first before walking back inside her personal space. Sunny, on the other hand accompanied her newly acquainted friend and waved goodbye at him with a big smile.

"Your family is such a wonderful family" Sungmin complimented Sunny before leaving.

"Thank you" Sunny said using her aegyo.

"Well I really enjoyed the dinner." After saying his thanks to Sunny, Sungmin then started to walk away but within just a minute, Sunny called unto him again. 

"Uhmm Mr. Sungmin" she said, "thanks for the help."

Sungmin just smiled and continued to walk. But for the second time, Sunny felt like calling out his name again, so when she did Sungmin turned to his back again and listened.

"Hope to see you again" Sunny yelled to the top of her lungs, as if they're miles away from each other when they're just few steps far from one another.

When Sunny's house finally disappeared from his sight, Sungmin realized that it's already dark and he already passed dinner. He ran as fast as he could but when he reached the palace gate, it's closed already and the guards were patroling for the night.

However, he decided to walk another way around at the back of the palace. It's a good timing that a wagon of trades will enter the palace, so he walked beside it so the guards would not notice. 

He successfully entered the palace gate using the wagons and safely reached the backyard. Even so, it's still not safe enough. All over the backyard goes Sir Hangeng, one of the greatest knights patroling the palace backyard. Because of this, Sungmin tiptoed his way to the wall of his room, he climbed the wall and when he reached the second floor, he passed through his window and entered it. In there, Sungmin saw Kyuhyun sleeping on the bed.

"Kyuhyun" he said, whispering, "Kyuhyun" he shook his knight many times but he just won't wake up. Therefore, the Prince decided to pull him off the bed and yelled.

"Knight!" 

Astonished, Kyuhyun fell off the bed and was awake by the Prince's sudden shout. He scratched his nape and rattled his teeth.

"I'm sorry" Sungmin said as he removed his commoner clothes and kept them in his hutch.

"What took you so long?" Kyuhyun worryingly asked while rubbing and shaking his head.

"Let's just say I met a girl friend" Sungmin responded that surprised his knight.

"Girlfriend?!" Kyuhyun said almost shouting so Sungmin hastened his way to him to cover his big talkative mouth.

"Would you lower your voice? It's a friend, that is a girl" Sungmin explained to Kyuhyun.

"Okay, fine, sorry, well if you said it earlier then I would know" Kyuhyun defended.

"I was about to, but you're the one who shouted" Sungmin fought.

"Just sleep now, thanks for your help but I'll still need it" Sungmin said pushing Kyuhyun outside his chamber.

"What? You're still doing it?" Kyuhyun asked him, going against Sungmin who was closing the door.

"Yes, I still need to learn things in life" Sungmin pushed harder to close the door that was being stopped by Kyuhyun.

In the end, Sungmin won and successfully shut the door against Kyuhyun.

 

~~~

 

This was Sungmin's daily routine since then, he will escape from the palace every morning and will go to Mrs. Lee to wait for Sunny. When Sunny comes to get her trades Sungmin will be there to help her carry them. Before going home, Sunny and Sungmin would take care of Dan, Mrs. Lee's grandson.

"You know it's my first time to do this, now I know how hard the maids do taking care of me----I mean the royalties, how they take good care of the royalties" Sungmin said.

After taking care of Dan they would go home and Sungmin as the guy, needs to bring Sunny home safely. Sungmin was really getting well with Sunny, with his secret safe.

After two weeks, Sunny for the first time did not come to work, Sungmin who was waiting patiently for her, already asked Mrs. Lee.

"What took Sunny so long?" Sungmin asked.

"Well, today is her father's death anniversary, so she's really not coming" Mrs. Lee said.

"Really?" Sungmin said.

"Yes, you better check her out" Mrs. Lee said.

"What about Dan?" Sungmin asked.

"It's okay, his parent's are coming so somebody will take care of him" Mrs. Lee replied.

"Okay, thanks" Sungmin waved at Mrs. Lee.

Sungmin ran to Sunny's house and was worried. He knocked at the door and Sooyoung was the one to open it.

"Good Morning Mrs. Choi, can I ask where is Sunny?" Sungmin said formally.

"She's at the backyard" Sooyoung said with a low voice.

Sungmin followed. He went to their backyard and saw Sunny sitting on a broken tree trunk, the wind blew her hair and she was really quiet.

"Hey!" Sungmin greeted.

"What are you doing here?" Sunny asked.

"Well, you did not come to work today Mrs. Lee is really worried" Sungmin sat beside her.

"Why would she worry about me, I mean she already knew the reason I'm not coming to work" Sunny said.

"Okay, honestly speaking I am worried, okay?" 

"Well, today is my father's death anniversary. It's been 10 years already, time is really fast" 

"You know if the royal family did not let him come with them, he should be still alive right now!" Sunny added but this time with an angry tone.

Sungmin stopped after hearing what Sunny said.

"In my opinion, I think your father did a great job, he just did his work" Sungmin said.

"Did a great job leaving us, his family by ourselves" Sunny said near to cry.

"No that's not what I meant, he just protected the royal family, it's his job" Sungmin said.

"That's my point, he protected people who was not connected to him" Sunny said.

"I hate them!" she added.

"It's not the royal family's fault, he just did his job" Sungmin said.

"But I still hate them!" Sunny said as tears falls on her cheeks.

"What if I said I'm one of them? Would you hate me?" Sungmin asked her.

"Of course not, I mean you're different from them" Sunny said wiping her tears.

"Do you even think, just once, that not all people are the same?" Sungmin asked.

"Wait, why are you protecting those people? I thought you are my friend" Sunny said.

"I'm sorry" Sungmin said.

A moment of silence for both of them, then Sunny suddenly cried hard.

"Appa, I miss you now! Why do you have to die?" Sunny said crying.

"APPA!" she shouted.

Sunny kept on crying, Sungmin embraced her and kept her comfortable. He hugged her and let her burst out her feelings, all the anger, the sadness, everything. Sunny cried on Sungmin's shoulder.