Brothers' Quarrel

The Existence of Life

 

Character: Ryeowook, Taemin

 

       "Do you hate me, hyung?" Walking in tow behind his brother, Taemin asks out of blue.

       Spinning around, the designer faces the younger male, surprised with the sudden question. "Why would you say that?"

       "You must hate me right." Passing through the other two males, Taemin paces into the living room and plops down on the sofa.

       Donghae, who too stunned to move, stops his track at the kitchen doorstep while watching Ryeowook walks calmly to the younger male.

       "I do not hate you, Taemin."

       Raising his head, Taemin stares at his elder brother straight in the eyes. "Then why you refuse my help?"

       "I did not refuse you. I'm asking you to drive my car to my house, didn't I?"

       "True." Averting his eyes, Taemin continues, "But that doesn't mean you don't hate me."

       The designer, however can't seem to understand what has gotten into his younger brother claims, "It's because I do not hate you."

       Ryeowook hates getting angry; drops the entire argument his little brother started earlier. He eyes the younger boy carefully before offering his car key to Taemin.

       "Can we go now?" Taemin not budging an inch stays rooted on the couch. Instead, he shoves the designer's hand a little bit too hard, that the car key flies across the room.

       Baffled, the designer tries to calm his nerve before attempting to ask the younger boy.

       Crouching, Ryeowook lowers himself to the younger eyes' level, "What's wrong? Look, I'm sorry if I offend you in any way, okay?" Biting his frustration that starts to build within him, the designer asks weakly. "Can we just go already?"

       "And then what?" Abruptly, the younger male rises to his feet. "You're going to let it slide like it never happened?"

       Head starts to pound, leaving the designer breathless. "What I'm going to slide like it never happened?"

       "This! The whole ignoring thing you'd always do whenever something doesn't going according to your plan, just like those years." Curling the fingers up into a ball, Taemin shakily clenches his fist, anger infuriates his whole being, "I'm tired that you always see me after you had a fight with Kyuhyun-hyung. And I'm sick that I only available to you when you think I'm the only one who's going to help you the day after that."

       "I did not have a fight with him. And I'm sorry for ignoring you."

       Snickering, Taemin faces his older brother. "Then explain to me why you refuse the dinner I brought? You know I'm just trying to help you!"

       Ryeowook can't possibly tell the real reason to his younger brother, right? Not when the designer realizes his parents and his grandfather are witnessing the whole argument.

       Slowly stands to his feet, the talented designer almost knocks himself onto the floor, but he manages to keep himself steady as Donghae who just happens to walk closer to the living room, runs to the designer's side.

       Once he regains the balance, the designer paces towards the younger boy. "I'm really sorry if I keep ignoring you. I never meant to do that." Walks closer to the boy, Ryeowook hugs the latter, albeit the violent struggle coming from the said boy.

       Softly, the designer speaks. "I always know you're going to help me, whatever happens and I know you will continue doing so. Taemin, I do not hate you, not in million years. Just because I refuse your help, doesn't mean I ignore you. Please, can we just stop fighting?"

       Tears fill up the boy's eyes, "I'm sorry. It's hard for me because every time I offer something to you, you give me a cold shoulder and you don't do that to everyone else. I know I should try to be better, so maybe then you can notice me and take me seriously. But, it's hard." Collapsing on the floor, the younger boy drags the designer along with him, tears flow like a fountain, non-stop.