The Best Man

The Existence of Life

 

Character: Changmin, Victoria

 

       "I invite my friend aka my best man here. You don't mind, do you?"

       "That's great! I've been dying to know who is this your friend because I get a feeling that your best man is not someone that I know."

       "I don't know why I choose him though, to be honest. I guess I want someone who doesn't judge me because the way I am now."

       "He doesn't know you are a celebrity? How...?" Ryeowook startles when hearing the slight rise in Victoria's tone, breaking the incessant chain of thoughts out of him completely.

       "Not until few weeks ago. He demands an explanation and we argue a bit." Changmin chuckles lightly, "It's amazing how you've become attached to someone who you never see in real life before. I met him few years ago when I'm playing the StarCraft game."

       "Then, what makes you attached to him?" Ryeowook suddenly asks.

       Surprised, Victoria turns to Ryeowook then, she realizes that the young designer is there with them all the time. She's too engrossed with the story-telling by her fiancee', to notice the other presence. She feels bad for that but her trains of thought is interrupting by the singer's next words.

       "He...he stop played the game 3 years ago after...his grandfather died." Smiling wryly, Changmin gently slips his hand out from Victoria's, and returns it to his side.

       "At first, I didn't know about it. You know, we never had a proper chatting. I mean, how, we, the players should had a proper chatting anyway? It's just a game. The skillful one wins while the others will lose. But after a year absence, I finally realized that he's gone from the virtual game. I don't have a reason why I spent all my free time, looking for him which I had no idea where to start with. He might be anywhere, he might be everywhere for all I know. It's bothersome, annoying the hell out of me! I send many messages to him in the virtual games, that I lost count. Finally after three months, I got a reply and an e-mail address. I realized at that time, it wasn't from him but someone else who closes to him."

       "I get this feeling, like...I need to be by his side no matter what. I don't know why I had it in the first place. It doesn't make sense, right? You remember the night when I cried in your arms for no apparent reasons?"

       Nodding in confusion, Victoria lets her fiancee' continues, "It's the day when he told me everything. It pained me in a way that I'd never imagined I could ever feel." Victoria lightly touches her fiancee's hand when she sees the slight tremble, "He lost his grandfather when he wasn't there for him, he lost every hoped he had when his grandfather died. He couldn't even accept the fact that his beloved grandfather has died to this very day. And it still pains me when he acts tough about it."