Scintilla

The Existence of Life

 

 

Character: Ryeowook, Kyuhyun

 

       Eyeing the petite male with the corner of his eyes for the last time, Kyuhyun then fixated his eyes on the road straightaway. When the air has become too suffocated to breathe casually, the lanky male reaches for the small knob, intending to change the radio to a different channel with more upbeat songs.

       Just when the lanky male's finger is about reach the handle, a warm touch grazes his own; startling him that he almost instantly widens his eyes in surprise, momentary forgetting the reality that he's driving a car right now.

       The fleeting touch moment sends an electrifying spark that Ryeowook retracts his hand as fast as he can before he actually has the chance to think of anything. While the male behind the wheel seems to be in dazed, that he in a reflex manner angles his head so he can properly see the male beside him.

       Ryeowook, on the contrary casts his gaze onto the road ahead of him and the designer can makes out that the car has sways a little to the left, away from the supposed roadbed that he instantly reaches over the steering in order to forestall from getting a headline in tomorrow's newspaper. They are on the hills, for heaven's sake!

       "Eyes stay on the road."

       It is an order that the lanky male quickly maneuvers the wheeled vehicle of his onto the right track, before the doctor steals a glance to his side once again.

       Annoyed, the smaller male spats out - too cold to his liking. "I don't plan on dying today."

       "I manage." The reply that makes the small male cringes at the overbearing attitude.

       Paying no heed to Kyuhyun, the designer watches the road carefully, not trusting the lanky male in a bit. Somehow, the smothering air in the car almost drowning both males into exasperation, or maybe it is Ryeowook who feels that way - seeing that Kyuhyun still held a long fixed look towards him - that he can't help to blurts out the inconvenience.

       "What?"

       The lanky male doesn't answer right away as he contemplates on what should he answer, and when he does, the sentences that coming out ringing the bells in Ryeowook's head.

       "You should be sleeping. The journey is going to take a while."

       And the small male doesn't respond, leaving them unheard. Because he refuses to let Kyuhyun stays awake on the road without company if he chooses to be selfish, if he chooses to actually let the sleeping takes over him - it's impolite, and yet embarrassing.

       "Ryeowook." The said male remains unfazed.

       "Hey Ryeowook." Second attempt the designer tries to dismiss it.

       Slowing down his car, Kyuhyun then reaches out the smaller hands that are folding together, and it works. Ryeowook tilts his head in astonishment at the unexpected contact. His brown eyes meet the hazel eyes of Kyuhyun before his brain signalling him to avert his gaze away from his face, simultaneously pulls his hands from the comfortable warmth.

       Apologetically, Kyuhyun mumbles. "Sorry."

 

 

p/s: Funny don't you think when Ryeowook still has the will to feel embarrassed when he has almost not meet with Kyuhyun during those eight years. Funny, how the heart still recognizes the familiar warmth, though the contact has long gone.