New Acquaintance

The Existence of Life

 

Character: Kyuhyun, Onew/Jinki

 

 

       "Jinki-shi, can I talk to you?"

       Tilting his head aside, Jinki recognizes the lanky male; looking unsure and hopeful at the same time. "Sure."

       Silence dominates them.

       Struggling to form a sentence, Kyuhyun fidgets with his hands secretly.

       "You want to talk." A statement from Jinki urges Kyuhyun to explain himself out or else they are not going anywhere soon.

       Smiling awkwardly, Kyuhyun utters, "Yeah." Straightens himself up on the bench, "There is something I want to know but... I can't get the right answer if we are uncomfortable with each other."

       "Uncomfortable?"

       "Yes, I know you are uncomfortable with me."

       Jinki lets his guard down - there's no reason to put the defense on when he has been caught red-handed. Apparently, the good pretense of his is crumbling down right in front of the older male.

       "Then, what?" Looking the male beside him, Kyuhyun meets the younger's eyes.

       Smiling to the latter, Kyuhyun introduces himself, "I'm Kyuhyun. Like I said the last time, I'm Ryeohyun-Appa's father - her real father."

       Clearly hears the emphasising of the last part, Jinki offers his hand to the taller, "Nice to meet you, Kyuhyun-shi. I'm Jinki, majoring in photography."

       Jinki learns that Kyuhyun is Ryeowook's other half but the ophthalmologist is not very sure about the term after 8 years. He then informs Kyuhyun that he comes to hospice once or twice during weekdays - depending on his university schedule - and definitely, he spends his time fully at the facility during the weekend.


       Clearing his throat, Kyuhyun sends a signal so the slender male does not startle.

       "Did you know who manages this institution?"

       "Kangta hyung."

       "He says he is just a manager here which means he is not the one who founded this place."

       Confuse with the news, "You didn't ask him that the last time you met him?"

       "He asks me to figure it out myself."

       "Why would you think I can help you figure this out? And why it is matter to you who founded this place?" Jinki furrows his eyebrows; questioning Kyuhyun's motive.

       "You are the only one who knows me." Kyuhyun whispers, "I thought I heard my grandpa hospital's name somewhere here."

       "You think all the patience's here have been treated at your grandfather's hospital." Jinki states the matter of fact with un-amused expression. "Do you realize what are you saying? Are you trying to tell me that your grandfather's hospital is the only available one?"

       "No, that's not what I mean." Kyuhyun breathes out heavily, "It must be very stupid of me if the hospital's name is the only clue. I heard my grandpa's name, too and a lot. I just don't have enough courage to ask the staffs."

       Jinki feels bad - he apologizes to Kyuhyun, "I'm sorry for snapping at you." Kyuhyun just smile wryly, can't help to feel annoyed with himself when he almost lashes himself out, to someone he just makes a new friend with.

       "I guess, I heard your grandfather's name quite a lot too. According to the intern guy, your grandfather is the one who suggests this facility to him and his family. You know, I've been around here just early this year. I don't think I can help you figure this out."

       "I hate when people reject me. Look, I really need your help in figuring the things out. It doesn't matter to me you've been here longer or not." Kyuhyun places his face in his hand exasperatedly.

       "You know why Ryeowook always comes here?"

       "I don't understand." Feeling completely lost, Jinki speaks tentatively, "Is this the same topic we talk about? Why don't you just ask your family or even better you ask your grandfather yourself? Are they difficult to deal with?"

       Lost for words, Kyuhyun lets the conversation dies in silence before he murmurs softly, "My grandpa has died... 2 years ago." His eyes everywhere; not wanting the glistening tears to fall. "I don't intend to bother my family with this, though."