spider caves I

That Spring Break

No words could describe how excited I was. We were locking our bags and things up for the spider caves. It was the next day and we were about to explore a cave without any flashlights!! I was dying. I mean dying. Our things were finally locked up and we began the trek up some large boulders to get to the mouth of the cave. A senior was in front of me and was supposed to guide me. I trusted her because we were sorta friends. Gwen was her name. 

"Alright, here we go!" Sal excitedly smiled and led us in. Chyna, behind me, clapped her hands. 

"YAYYYY!" Some boys cheered. We climbed really slowly up the rocks. I admit, I was a bit impatient because I wanted to get into the darkness. I didn't believe Sal when she informed us that it was 'complete darkness.' We all stood in our lines as we ascended up the rocks and neared the entrance. A couple of people in the front slipped in. Instructions were passed. Gwen entered and I breathed in. It was time.

"Ohmigod ohmigod!" Chyna quietly squealed.

"I know!!" Gwen's hands gripped mine. She led it to touch a rock that I could'nt see.

"Place your foot here when you get in," she instructed. I made a humming noise to let her know I heard. When I finally could go in, I placed my foot on the spot. There was a nook next to it where I could put my other foot. My body was entirely in. I was gripping jagged rocks. It was true. It was all black. I felt like a blind person.

"Chyna, come in and feel for me." I waited for her. Her hands brushed my back. I smiled inwardly. 

"Ok, feel where I am?" I took my arm and placed it next to me on the rock.

"Put your here." I told her. 

"OK." She waited for us to move. Again, we were moving slowly. 

"Alright, just edge along this wall. Stay down low and stay to the left. There are some big rocks on the right." Gwen quietly notified me. 

"K." I turned to Chyna. Gwen had moved up. I followed her because I felt her warmth disappear. 

"Get to that spot." I pulled Chyna's arm. She moved and instructed the boy behind her about what to do. I patiently waited to tell her the rest.

"Chyna. Stay to the left because the right has huge rocks that could hurt and stay down low." She made a response noise and began to talk to the person behind her. I heard footsteps echoing in this cave. I heard snippets of instructions. 

"Bekka." Gwen caught my attention, "So you feel where I am?" She led my arm to where she sat. 

"Yeah." I replied.

"Ok, when I get out of this seat, sit here and your legs will be dangling. You should duck your head because it's short but at your height, I think you're fine." Gwen shifted. I told Chyna to sit where I was and moved to Gwen's old spot. Sure enough, my legs were dangling. I felt as though there was a fall beneath me. I heard the slipping of shoes.

"Chyna, sit where I am next and duck your head low. It's like a low ceiling here. Your legs will feel nothing." Chyna passed on the information. Gwen's voice spoke up again.

"So there's this footrest place where you could put your foot." She grabbed my foot and placed it far down.

"Then, just climb down. It's steep and a tight squeeze," Gwen informed me. Shimmying my body through this hole thing, I put my foot down. I gripped the rock above, my other foot searching for a place to put. I began to panic as I found no area. Then, I hit the jackpot. Resting my foot there, I tapped Chyna.

"Hey, so like there's this foot rest thing far down below. It's to you right. Put your foot there and next to it like, a foot away, there's another footrest for your other foot. Just stay there. Don't forget to keep your head low. It's like a hole you have to go through." I waited for her response.

"KK!" She enthusiastically dangled her foot and passed on the instructions. 

"Stay to your right now. You'll be clinging onto this rock shaped like a triagle. It's not far from where you are. It's slippery so be careful. There may be a place for you to put your legs." Gwen's instructions freaked me out. What if I fell? I pushed negative thoughts out of my head and felt for that rock. Sure enough, I glucng onto it for my dear life. Chyna descended the hole thing. She gasped and made a cuss word.

"What?" I was concerned.

"My head's stuck." Chyna cursed again. I bit my lip, eyes wide with horror. I felt Gwen get farther and farther away from me. 

"Just try to get out." I urged her.

"I can't! I really can't!" Chyna's voice was high pitched and panicky.

"Just try!" That was all I could say. There was nothing I could do about it.

"Wait. Get out of the hole and get in again." I prayed that it would help.

"I can't." Chyna wiggled a bit. 

"Please try!" I begged her. Gwen was who knows where but my bestfriend was in danger. Of course I'd stay and help her.

"Thanks!" Chyna breathed a sigh of relief. Somehow, she got unstuck. I filled her in with what to do next. 

"Gwen?" I called out. No answer. My eyes scoured the darkness ahead of me. Hysteria began to build inside of me. There was a scritch and then finally Gwen answered, "Yeah. Wait Kelly. Bekka! Now you have to edge your way across this rock." I felt the rock ahead of me. It was like a shelf.

"Thanks!" I was so relieved.

I called out for Chyna again, "Chyna, are you still there? So give me your hands," I reached for her hands, "And this is a rock you need to cling onto for your dear life. Stay to the right, I'm not even kidding. Then, there's a shelf like rock and just edge on it until I tell you what to do." 

"Oh ok." Chyna shuffled a bit. I edged along the hard, cold, wet rock. I think I almost reached the end of the shelf when Gwen came with other instructions, "Just find a place to sit down here."

"Sit?" We were already at the middle? That was quick.

"Yeah." Gwen plopped down. I felt around but managed to make out contours of people sitting all around. Sal saw me looking around and motioned for me to go to her. 

"Sit here," her nice voice directed me. I sat down in front of her in a comfortable spot. There was no rock in the way.

"Chyna, just fidn a seat when you reach the end," I alerted her. I was so comfortable in my seat. We sat there for a couple minutes and then, everyone was settled down and Sal the lights. Some people winced or held up their arms because it was so bright in contrast to the darkness. 

"Alright, you've gone this far. Gwen, would you shine the flashlight down below?" Gwen, I noticed, was sitting near where we came from. She shined it down and we all gasped. It was steep and rocky. Luhan sat down next to me because his friend told him to. She patted his head and smiled. His friends were perched onto the shelf.

"You guys did great!" Sal beamed happily. We stayed there and chatted about the difficulties and whatnot before we formed a line to go again.

"Doesn't matter if it's the same person or not." Sal got to the front again. Ms. Mei took up the rear and Chyna was behind me again.

"Yay!" I brightly grinned at Chyna.

"This is fun!" She agreed. We prepared to go and I looked to see who was in front of me. It was...

Luhan.

 

A/N- ermigod hiii! Kris<3 stay strong! Just...please don't leave! and happy reading!!!