screaming run

That Spring Break

"Omg! Waffles!" Alison cheered. It was breakfast of the next day and we were at the buffet place. The waffles smelled really good.

"There's syrup right?" Chyna asked, looking around.

"I think I saw some over there," I pointed to where the utensils are.

"Ok," Chyna beamed and got more food.

"I wanna try the oatmeal," Sam regarded the oatmeal unsurely.

"Then try," I raised my eyebrows because the oatmeal looked.... insteresting.

"Nah," Sam decided against it. We got our food and began to eat.

~~~

"And off to your groups!" Ms. Mei concluded it. Ms. Mei was just announcing our trail groups once again in case some of us forgot. I was with Chyna and there was no luck that they'd put the four of us together.

"Have fun!" Alison encouraged us. We nodded and parted ways.

"We are, like, the only juniors here," I whispered to Chyna nervously.

"And we are, like, going to have fun." Chyna whispered back.

"Alright guys! My name is Sal. I'll be you instructor for the next week. We are not only a team here, but a family. As a family, we all will contribute and help. The first task is to get to know each other. So introduce your name and then one thing you bought from home that wasn't on the packing list." Sal made us form a circle and we began introductions. I noticed that Luhan and his friends were here.

"My name is Luhan. I bought a rubix cube." He smiled angellically.

"I'm Chen and I bought fake bugs to scare the people in my room!" Chen announced proudly. He earned plenty of laughs from around the circle. His cabinmates, Luhan and Tao had a horrified expression.

"N-not ants right?" Tai asked in a scared manner. Chyna giggled from besides me.

"....no promises," Chen grinned. So he was a troll. 

"I'm Kris. I bought the solar system map," Kris sure had a deep voice! He had a poker face on and his voice was emotionless. 

"I'm Tao and I bought my wushu stick," Tao drawled his sentence. He spoke really slow and it was the opposite of his face, which seemed to be alert.

"I'm Bekka and I bought a diary," I quietly told them when it was my turn. Luhan's gaze was on me but I ignored it. Sal nodded and turned to Chyna.

"I'm Chyna, yes the country, and I bought along with me an inflatable matress," Chyna laughed at that along with us. 

Flashback-

"Do ou want this mattress?" Chyna offered me and Sam who had to sleep on the cots.

"Sure," I took it and looked at it. It was limp and not inflated yet.

"Do you have an air pump thing?" I unsurely looked at Chyna.

"Air pump... oh yea! No." Chyna looked at the air hole where you were supposed to put air into it.

"Blow it," Sam suggested. I blinked at her and gestured to the huge mattress. There was no way I 'd be able to blow all that up.

"Oh well..." Alison laughed an Chyna took it back.

-End flashback

"Did you really?" Sal laughed, intrigued. She had a nice and caring vibe rolling off of her.

"Really???" Ms. Mei laughed in a y way. he was in our group.

"Yeah," Chyna sheepishly nodded. 

"Ok, I'm Ms. Mei and I bought a fancayyy Canon camera," Ms. Mei did jazz hands and Sal laughed.

"So who we have so far are Luhan, Chen, Tao, Kris, Bekka, Chyna and Ms. Mei." Sal recited while looking at us. It was really impressive. The boys started to clap and Ms. Mei whistled. Laughing, Chyna and I joined along. 

Other people did their intros and we passed out food for everyone to hold. I got the olives. Appearently, lunch is pizza.

"Here's the plan for the week. Today we are going to walk around the valley and get to know this place. Tomorrow, we want to go to the spider caves. No flashlights though. On Wednesdsay, we'll hike up to Clark's point hopefully. And ond Thursday, we'll go to the west end to look at El Capitan." Sal looked incredibly excited. I shivered in my jacket from excitement. How awesome would it be to go into a cave without a flashlight?

"So exciting!" Chyna cheered and we were off. We walked to this meadow where there was a wooden plank we could walk on. We followed that but ehn, everyone halted.

"What is it?" I craned my neck.

"Coyote!" Chyna informed me and took out her camer to take pictures. I followed her and did the same.

"Before I forget, we need a name for our team!" Sal got us into a circle again.

"How about Half Dumb?" Chen looked at the mountain which was called Half Dome.

"No pun intended," Luhan smiled, his eyes turning into crescents. Once again, I was captivated with his smile.

"AHAHAH no." A girl named Chae dissed the idea. Some of us nodded.

"Ok then, how about Phat Dog?" Tao drawled . I wrnkled my brow as the boys cheered.

"Phat dog?" Sal was utterly confused.

"Just Chen has a fat dog," Luhan explained. Sal laughed and clapped but that wasn't our name.

"YOLO-semite." Chyna volunteered.

"OOH~ yea," Ms. Mei gave her a thumbs up. We took a vote and Chyna's idea won.

"Yehet!" Chyna did what Sehun did.

We turned around that the cotote- we named her Carla -was still there. A hush spread through the group as we admired the coyote as it was getting closer to us. All of a suden, it halted and dove at the ground.

"DID YOU SEE THAT? IT WAS GETTING FOOD!" Lay exclaimed. I looked at him and blinked. I thought he was somber. Maybe he was just like me, crazy around friends.

"IT WAS MAGICAL!" Ms. Mei agreed. Ok, this trip  gave me a whole new outlook on our teachers.

"Let's get walking," Sal waved us and we walked across the meadow, through the woods and near a river. 

"So wanna play a game?" A fun smile flitted across Sal's lips.

"Yeah!" We all burst out. I love games.

"Let's do this. Get into pairs and run from here to as long as you can go. As you run, you scream. When you run out of breath, then you stop exactly at the spot." Sal explained.

"Alright," Ms. Mei had a twinkle in her eyes.

"I'm going to win," Tao slowly smiled and got in line. The first pair ran and screamed. And it went on and on. So far, Luhan has run the farthest. I put on my game face and we were off. Chyna stopped real quick and I was just runnng and screaming until my lungs burned. I got a few inches away from Luhan.

"Aww so close!" Sal said from her spot.

"You did well," Luhan turned his sparkly eyes on me. I smiled to him.

''OUR WINNER IS LUHAN!" Sal took Luhan's hand and raised it in victoryy.

That game, was the first game we played. Screaming Run.