Survivor I

That Spring Break

"This is our last day here," Sam breathed in a gust of fresh air.

"That was a terrible breakfast," Chyna complained as we walked back to our cabins. Just after breakfast, we were informed to go and pack up our last items and then get ready for one last group activity. Alison yawned and rubbed her somewhat full stomach. It was a terrible breakfast, I had to agree.

"I'll miss it here," I looked at the wonderful mountains around us.

"Or is it someone~" Sam teased so that only I could here. I whacked her.

"What was that?" Alison turned to us. I glared at Sam and waited for her answer.

"Oh I said maybe you just miss the food," Sam grinned innocently. I let out a sigh of relief.

"I heard we are going to have lunch altogether," Chyna blinked, changing the conversation.

"Really?!?" Alison and Sam jumped up and down in excitement. I rolled my eyes at them and slid the card into the door to open it. 

"Ugh, packing," Chyna made a face. She was, according to her, way to lazy to pack. My clothes were all packed except for a huge jacket. It was quickly folded and placed into my backpack. All of my things were packed except for the hardest thing. The sleeping bag. I rolled it up and tried to stuff it in my small sleeping bag cover. No luck.

"Man, this is such a small bag!" Sam wrinkled her nose and tried to roll it up without any air in there.

"It's simple," we turned and saw Alison standing in front of her packed bags in sastisfaction. I blinked at her neatly folded sleeping bag.

"Here's the trick, don't fold the sleeping bag, stuff it in, going around and around," Alison demonstrated with her hands. We stared at her but understood. I went back to my sleeping bag and miraculously, I got it! Exhilarated, I jumped on the cot.

"Guys where are my mittens?" Chyna's panicked voice made me stop jumping. Sam shrugged, finishing zipping up her bag.

"Is it this?" Alison held up a green glove from the ground.

"Oh yeah!" Chyna brightened up.

"Last check!" We went around the entire room, checking the make sure we had everything. When we saw it was completely bare of our belongings, we exited the room.

"Great, put it in that cabin," Ms. Mei pointed at a tarp cabin filled with luggage. It was pretty roomy though. It seemed like almost everyone was done. People trickled in with their bags and soon enough, we were off to our groups.

"So guys, how was the last night?" Sal warmly asked. We all shrugged and made faces. She laughed and took out a whiteboard.

"Today's theme is for you guys to choose. We'll share it in the end." Sal stuck her whiteboard back in, passed out the lunch items and we were off.

"What are we doing today?" Chen blurted out.

"We are going to a river to do something and then maybe play some games. The other counselors want us to meet up with them for lunch." Sal explained. We nodded and walked along. While we were walking, a senior - her name was Minny - stopped to take out a blue pen and wrote 'Sal<3' on her wrist. I stopped with Chyna.

"Where we supposed to do that?" Chyna asked her. Minny looked at us and replied, "Yeah. Here." She gave us the pen so we could do just that. Chyna wrote down 'SAL!' I put on my wrist, 'SAL<3' Minny nodded, sastisfied. We also had a card we all signed, Ms. Mei did that stuff. It was a thank you for Sal, who has been the best camp counselor ever. 

~~~

The air was filled with chirps and nature sounds. People squatted and sat everywhere through out this area of the woods. Scribbles of a pencils were heard as we wrote letters to ourselves. I looked at my composition, done before the others. My handwriting wasn't what you would call neat, but you know, I could read it. Sal made sure we were on task. She said that she'd mail these things to us before college for the seniors and before senior year for us juniors. My letter read:

Dear Bekka (my future self!)

How is life treating you? Are you still crushing on Kai? By then you should've hugged him...unless you are a wimp? Ahaha. I'm just kidding. Anyways, around me are tall trees with dark leaves on them. There is this piney scent here. The ground is covered with pine needles, and no, they don't hurt. There is a river not far from here that is making a rushing sound. Luhan is seated on a rock near there. Luhan, you remember him right? His favorite food is ice cream? I think. Well, if you still like him... just.. don't get hurt. He's going to leave for college anyway. Oh well. You are still best friends with Sally and Alison and Chyna right? Actually, I don't need to worry about that since we, here, are still as knit together as always. Just know that no matter what, they would be there for you.

Ok, extremely important. This is Yosemite. Never forget this amazing trip outdoors. It was super fun with super bad food but it was great. Sal! Never in your life forget Sal. All the things she did for our group was amazing. 

Well, some people are getting done, so I hope you enjoyed this letter, future self.

~past Bekka

I stood up, brushed off some dirt and folded my letter so it could fit into the envelope that was given with my address. Out of the corner of my eyes, I saw Luhan handing the letter in. I followed his steps and then when I was done, sat by the river, staring at it...and maybe sneaking some glances at Luhan. Chen walked up to me and patted my back, "You had fun this trip?" 

"Yeah you?" I looked up to him. He nodded.

"Well, I'm gonna go to my friends.." he smiled before departing. I smiled to myself as Chyna joined me.

"My letter was personal enough," she commented, sitting besides me. She was one of the last people to be finished.

"Oh, mine to," we hi-5ed just as Sal called us to make a circle.

"We are going to that bridge to look for them, if not, we'll go into those woods and play this game. And so we walked to the bridge, found out they weren't there, Sal and the other group leaders relayed text messages and we decided on doing our own thing.

"This game is called Survivor. It is where there are two bandanas in the middle. The whole group starts on the edge of this circle that has been made by backpacks. Then, on the word go, people will go to get the bandanas. Once you have them, you could tag them by tossing the bandana. If you get hit, you have to sit down and wait till the person who hit you has been hit and has sat down. Then you are 'alive' again. When you have the bandana, you can only take two steps. Without the bandana, you could go however far you want. Get it? The last person standing is the survivor!" All of us enthusiastically nodded. It was like a game of Banana tag and Dodgeball combined.

"And go!" Sal exclaimed. Luhan and Kris sprinted to get the bandanas. When they got it, they began to furiously hit people out. Nervously, I spared at look at Chyna, who was standing next to me. She gave me a thumb's up. I took a deep breath in, ready to win this.

This game was just starting.